A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

Here we go.

Another update full of parade pictures.

Don't worry, I'll eventually run out of parade pictures.

But, please enjoy these while you can.  You only get to see this parade for a few weekends in May and June, and then it's gone.

At least until they build Star Wars Land.

We left off with the real Disney Chewbacca.  The CM and his guests across from me were trying to get his attention by waving their stuffed wookies.  And they were successful:

51814121_zpsea1f9f21.jpg

The tall guy getting paid minimum wage to sweat his butt off Chewbacca humored these grown people who were making fools of themselves fans:

51814122_zps7ebe8347.jpg

51814123_zps4b8f031d.jpg

I'm not sure who any of these characters are- maybe one of the Star Wars experts reading along can help identify them:

51814124_zpsd090f006.jpg

Luckily for us, the guy with the green octopus head came over to see us.  Maybe someone around me was waving a stuffed animal version of him?:

51814125_zps8ef2e764.jpg

51814126_zpsd43cf26d.jpg

I believe that these guys are Clone Troopers?:

51814127_zpse3f1cde4.jpg

Here's a look toward the stage- look over there to the bottom left corner- Yoda is watching the parade!  But there is no Yoda in the parade.  They ought to have a Yoda in the parade.

51814128_zps20053280.jpg

More Clone Troopers, and some alien types with flags.  Isn't it interesting how space people have flags just like us humans?:

51814129_zps5e60a2d5.jpg

I don't know who the girl with the flag is, but the guy over there with a flag is a member of the Cantina band, right?:

51814130_zps44939a4a.jpg

Hey, here comes R2D2, all by himself.  Last year, I drove myself nuts trying to figure out who was controlling the robot:

51814131_zps090e78cb.jpg

He just rolls along by himself, and there is no inconspicuous tourist walking along in his vicinity fiddling with something in a duffel bag:

51814132_zps7c0d936a.jpg

51814133_zpsa1e4aa9f.jpg

Nope, this robot is out here by itself, just rolling around and interacting with the audience, with no apparent human controlling it:

51814134_zpsed4c5c66.jpg

I was stumped by this last year.

I concluded that it must be a real robot with some very sophisticated software and programing.

After all, Disney is good at building robots, right? 

Then Devores shattered the magic by pointing out that there was an extra passenger of the front seat of the car following behind the robot.  And sure enough, there was one sitting there today too:

51814135_zpsf0117f76.jpg

Hang on, that guy looks familiar.  Let's take a closer look at him (I'm talking about the  passenger- the guy with the black ball cap) :

r2d2guy_zpsfc4ab1a1.jpg

Last year, when we visited the robots in Darth's Mall, I spotted this suspicious looking guy who kept digging around in his gym bag and stalking the kids meeting the robots:

IMG_1372.jpg

That's the same guy, right?

Mystery solved.

I wonder if that guy gets paid more than the walking carpet?

He's still kind of suspicious looking if you ask me.

By the way, the other passenger in that car is Ashley Eckstein.  She is always at Star Wars Weekends.  Like every single one.  I think she is the voice of a cartoon character in one of the animated Star Wars shows.  She seems like a really nice girl.  But, I think providing the voice of a cartoon is her only gig.  If I heard right, she also appeared in the Disney show That's So Raven.  Which was on a long time ago.  So, I guess she's happy to be here:

51814136_zps4316b8d5.jpg

I want to say that this is Jango Fett, but I could be wrong about that.  Whoever he is, he posed nicely for our side of the street:

51814137_zpsf3479aab.jpg

51814138_zps4f9bc536.jpg

If he's a bad guy, then he's pretty nice for a bad guy.

I have no idea who this is.  Jason/Santa/Lou, can you tell us?:

51814139_zps20502a43.jpg

I also don't know:

51814140_zps302d54fe.jpg

51814142_zps8cf3450f.jpg

Here comes another celebrity.  Also a girl:

51814143_zpsd3583230.jpg

51814144_zps76d6e6d7.jpg

Note that there is no front seat passenger in her car.  I'm not sure if you can read the sign on the side, but that's Vanessa Marshall, who provides the voice of a character on a cartoon called Star Wars Rebels.

I guess these are two characters from that show:

51814145_zps45b53c65.jpg

51814146_zps5ea6ddbd.jpg

Sorry, but this is all too confusing for me.  Now we have cartoon characters portrayed as real characters?  Like they do at Disney World?

Oh wait.

Now, here comes a real celebrity.  This is the first time ever he has appeared for a Star Wars Weekend, despite the fact that he had a major role in Episodes I-III- do you recognize him?:

51814148_zpsbc6cfd80.jpg

This, my friends, is Mr. Ahmed Best.  You know, Jar Jar? :

51814150_zps661127e5.jpg

I had a hard time visualizing how that smooth brother played Jar Jar.

But apparently, he did.

From what I heard, the line to get a FP to meet him was the longest one this weekend.

Speaking of smooth brothers, here comes Darth Maul:

51814151_zps95195dfb.jpg

And that's 30 photos.

So, time to stop and start a new update.

I think we'll be done with the parade in that one.

And then we will be bugging out of DHS for a while to check in to our resort and grab some lunch.

We will be heading back to DHS after that.

Via Epcot.

TCD

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

I don't consider it a trip report in the true sense of the meaning. It's not endless pics and yada, yada, yada, about camping, campers, the Fort, the usual WDW attractions, etc. Seen them all, heard it all. It's more like a special events report, like the SW weekend, and twin #2 entering the DCP. That's interesting.

I do read TRs whenever I'm in the dentist waiting room. I read them so that I can get acclimated to pain and suffering.

I'll bring yours next time.

Should I be offended??  

Just to warn you Lou, I am finally getting the time this afternoon to finish up my TR.

Feel free NOT to read it......

Another great update.

Who cares about people who voice cartoon characters?

Apparently a lot of people.

And Jar-Jar was so annoying that I wouldn't wait 10 seconds to meet that guy.

The nerds who wanted his autograph need to channel that energy into something more constructive........like maybe move out of their parent's basement.

You had to spoil the magic by revealing that R2D2 wasn't really on his own?

I'm glad I don't do that.

I wonder if that's the same guy that controlled the now fired, talking trash can? You can't find people that are able to do that just anywhere. It takes a special skill.

Ask any 5 year old.

I wonder if that's the same guy that controlled the now fired, talking trash can? You can't find people that are able to do that just anywhere. It takes a special skill.

Ask any 5 year old.

That's not the same guy that we spotted when the now fired, talking trash can was talking to my kids in 2012. Or was that a snarky, rhetorical question?  :P

All caught up! I am  not a Star Wars fan, but I have enjoyed all of the pics so far!!

I son should be almost half way done his surgery, another 1 1/2 or so to go. Off to read your other trip report! So thankful that I have your trip reports to help pass this nerve wracking time!!!

Prayers from PA also!!  :heartsmiley:

Meesa no likey. 

LOL.

I remember the first time I saw old Jar Jar.  Lucas must have been on drugs.

It's funny what a huge role he had in Episode 1, and how he then faded into oblivion in II and III.  I don't think that was the original plan.

There is no Jar Jar character, and there have been no references to him at any of the SWW I have attended.  It's interesting that the actor was asked to appear.  I wonder if he's going to be in Episode VII?

Another great update.

Who cares about people who voice cartoon characters?

Apparently a lot of people.

And Jar-Jar was so annoying that I wouldn't wait 10 seconds to meet that guy.

The nerds who wanted his autograph need to channel that energy into something more constructive........like maybe move out of their parent's basement.

LOL.

I should have staked out the autograph tent to watch some of the guests meeting Jar Jar.

The only one of those random characters I know is the chic in the long purple skirt is Ventriss (or maybe it's Ventrix). She's also from that clone wars cartoon. 

Thanks for that.  I didn't know who she was.  She's kind of scary looking.

Ask any 5 year old.

Hey now.

The PUSH pilots require a greater skill set.  They not only have to inconspicuously fumble around in their duffel bag, but must also be able to talk into their hands without anyone noticing:

IMG_0763.jpg

July12013005_zps87d0ceb4.jpg

You see how they blend?

Nobody is going to notice anything like that.

Thank goodness this house is  built on a slab so my kids can't live in the basement, because they are huge Star Wars geeks.  (Or is it nerds?  My kids claim there is a difference.)

Thanks for all the great pictures!

Hey-  get those kids of yours on here, and get them to identify some of the parade participants.  Like the guy with the green octopus head.  Who is he?

Thanks for the pictures. I will probably never make it for SWW.

What do you mean?

Why not?

I'm enjoying the SWW pictures too.  Pretty sure I'll never see it in person.

Same.

Why can't you visit in the late spring/early summer one year?

All caught up! I am  not a Star Wars fan, but I have enjoyed all of the pics so far!!

I son should be almost half way done his surgery, another 1 1/2 or so to go. Off to read your other trip report! So thankful that I have your trip reports to help pass this nerve wracking time!!!

I hope all went well for you son.

Give us an update when you can.

TCD

Time for an update.

We are still looking at parade photos.

But this is the last batch.

Then we will move out.

I guess this is a long-ish parade.  It didn't seem that way watching it, though.

Here comes some more flag bearers.  As I said earlier, I am surprised they use so many flags in space.  Seems like more of an earth thing to me:

51814154_zps9c16d3fe.jpg

Here are the official Disney sandpeople- none of them have babies:

51814155_zpsb9c6724f.jpg

51814156_zps98bac7e1.jpg

Here comes the next celebrity- check out the wingspan on that guy:

51814157_zpsd93e03c1.jpg

In case you don't know, that's Peter Mayhew, who played Chewbacca in all of the movies.  Check out the CM across the road holding up the stuffed wookie trying to get Peter's attention:

51814160_zps03d799b7.jpg

I would also like to point out that Peter is wearing jorts.

So, nobody can tell me that jorts aren't cool.

If they're good enough for Chewbacca, they're good enough for me.

If you haven't heard, old Peter is a strange duck.  He has bad knees and walks with a cane.  His cane looks like a lightsaber.  Despite his infirmaries, I believe he has been hired on for Episode VII.  This guy has had a very lucky run.  And he embraces it.

That guy I thought was Jango Fett earlier in the parade must not have been Jango, because I'm pretty sure this is:

51814161_zps87ea687a.jpg

Here's another purple girl.  Since she's with the Fett's, I assume she's a bounty hunter:

51814162_zps63f846d4.jpg

I say this is Jango, but I could easily be wrong:

51814164_zps7a14283b.jpg

These are the official Disney Storm Troopers.  They seem to be a little less large than the guys who make their own costumes:

51814165_zps9b410064.jpg

Here comes everyone's favorite bounty hunter, Boba- I guess that sarlacc didn't get him after all:

51814167_zps64d13e45.jpg

51814168_zpsdb06aa28.jpg

I've seen this guy before, but I'm not sure where.  I think he's one of the more ridiculous looking Star Wars characters:

51814169_zpsc303cdd8.jpg

Finally, the last celebrity has arrived. This is James Arnold Taylor, who apparently provides several voices in some of the cartoons.  The poor guy seems to be as nice as can be, but he needs to get a life- he is always here at SWW.  He apparently has even a larger role now.  And, look how he's wearing a mic strapped to his head.  The dude never shuts up:

51814170_zps942a9f23.jpg

Old DV brings up the rear of the parade:

51814171_zps726e5582.jpg

51814172_zpsa0933ad7.jpg

And then we have a final group of Storm Troopers including a couple on those big scooter things they use for the opening show:

51814173_zps4bbbe72e.jpg

The guys you see marching here right behind the parade are apparently big wigs- I saw them walking the route before the parade and giving instructions to CM's.  I'm not sure who any of them are, but some of them could be important:

51814174_zps16059925.jpg

And, that's all the parade photos I have.

After the parade, the street was mobbed.  The plan for now was to head out and over to our hotel to check in.  So that's what we did.

I was able to snag a Passholder's rate on a room at Port Orleans Riverside.  I had the choice of a preferred room or a standard room.  The preferred rooms are closer to the main pool and lobby.  The standard rooms are further out, and closer to the parking lot.  Since we were just here for one night, I went with the cheaper room.

Luckily, our room was ready when we checked in.  As expected, we were far out from the main area, so before heading to the room, we ducked in to the restaurant for lunch.  We were hungry, so we went with the make your own pasta.  That is a big meal, and we were stuffed.  Then we headed to the room.

I don't have a pasta photo, but here's one showing the view from our table:

51814175_zpsed1c3ac7.jpg

We had the last building in the Alligator Bayou section.  The mansion room buildings started right next to us.  But, our room was close to the second internal bus stop, so that was good.

It's been a couple of years since we've stayed in this resort, and I didn't know that the rooms had been refurbished.  I thought maybe we had some kind of premium room, but apparently, they all look like this now.

Instead of the old fashioned TV armoire, we had this interesting piece of furniture:

51814177_zpsf04e0db8.jpg

Look, it folds out to make a bed:

51814176_zpsa30cc23a.jpg

Go Gata.

The bathroom sink area is new, and they have incorporated a washboard in to the design.  That number 92 must refer to the year that this resort originally opened as the Dixie Landings resort:

51814178_zps02d64dc6.jpg

There were Louis the alligator pillows on our beds- he's from the Princess and the Frog movie:

51814179_zps74aa1ab3.jpg

Go Gata.

Hey look- a Hidden Mickey:

51814180_zps05fd898f.jpg

These rooms come with a fridge and coffee maker:

51814181_zpse9187825.jpg

There were some markings on that bench/bed thing:

51814182_zpsf5f3ade9.jpg

The numbers obviously refer to the date WDW opened in 1971.  I'm not sure what LHMC stands for.

This one is easy- a nod to Steamboat Willie and the year it was released:

51814183_zps02734f16.jpg

I believe this is a reference to the Alligator Bayou section of the resort, which opened in 1992:

51814184_zps567b81ac.jpg

Here's a closer look at the washboard between the sinks:

51814185_zps9d4d7329.jpg

This was a really nice room.  I love all the new decorations and furniture.

The thing I really like about this resort, though, is the landscaping and grounds.  Right outside our room was a blooming magnolia tree:

51814187_zpsb56ef08b.jpg

This is the path that we would take to head toward the main lobby from our room:

51814188_zps2b3ade7f.jpg

We took a chill break in the room.

I had FP+'s reserved for the afternoon at DHS, and we were going to head back there.  We wanted to be there to see the new fireworks too.  We will be heading back to DHS in the next update.  With a detour to Epcot on the way.

TCD

That makes sense. The characters from the cartoons seem to have a heavy representation here. I guess that's what the younger audiences know better than the movie characters.

TCD

The show was pretty good too had a long story arc and ran for 5 seasons. I still have a season left to watch but the story has been better than a lot of the other stuff on tv lately. Rebels is the next cartoon coming out soon and will cover time between episode 3 and 4.