A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Yup, they do.

Their model has 4 wheels, and they suggest you call and reserve in advance.

I don't think they have that many of them so you may not see one at the ECV/stroller/WC rental location.

They've been around for over a year.

I have seen one or two non-Disney 3 wheel ESVs at WDW.

Four wheels?  And the guest stands while using it?  I definitely haven't seen one of those around the parks.  I've seen 3 wheel scooters with the guest in a seated position, but not standing.  I want to see one of these.

Yeah, saw that this spring.  For the record, Mountain Creek has run a water / summer thrill park but with little or none of the original equipment for some years now. And, much tamer.

They plan to bring back the name and some 'action' supposedly.

For those that don't know what's being talked about, here is a recent news article.  This place was insanely dangerous.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/28/the-return-of-the-worlds-most-dangerous-theme-park/

As for the last TCD installment, all I have is 'Fuego' (close enough) .

Thanks for that link-I didn't know all the background on Action Park.  I moved from NJ in 1979, and don't recall having heard of it before I left.

When we went to MK in 2010, we had  lunch, dinner, and snacks for 8 in our cooler.  It was a budget trip and the budget didn't stretch enough to cover paying WDW prices for food.  

Wow.  How big was you cooler?  Did you stash it someplace, or carry it around in a gigantic stroller?

I don't like paying WDW prices for food either.  That's the nice thing about the Fort, it isn't hard to pop back for a meal.  Although the cooler definitely is the way to go to maximize park time.

I'm impressed.  I'm not that organized!!!!  I could never pull it off!!  Now I might go back to my camper or tent for lunch and supper but I'd never be able to pack it.   :)  Did you write a trip report from that trip?

I think you are forced to be organized if you have six kids.  If you haven't read Marty's report, you ought to.  She did a great job.

Yes, it is linked in my signature. :)  (I don't think I mentioned what we ate on that trip, but I still have my notes.  I plan to use them this time when i am planning.)

I'm looking forward to the next trip report!

Great update.

Looking forward to more chapters.

Satanic lemonade. No way am i visiting his lemonade stand.

Trust me, I'm trying to stay away from that Satanic mermaid too.  Do not look into her eyes.

He's earning money for a mission trip to Hades.  

OK, that does it.

I am re-starting my boycott right now.  I am not a fan of rivers of fire, gnashing teeth, and such.

TCD

Awesome update yesterday.  I loved seeing the bridge for the CM entrance to the MK.  I've wondered about that before.  Good mine train selfie.  Good other stuff too, but mainly - awesome job on the FP+ cheat!  We will be trying that out in exactly two weeks!  :jumpforjoy

When I lived in NY we teenagers took a trip to Action Park in 1985.  The Alpine Slides were my favorite.  But the boys liked to watch the water slides because the girls were always losing their tops. ROFL

Awesome update yesterday.  I loved seeing the bridge for the CM entrance to the MK.  I've wondered about that before.  Good mine train selfie.  Good other stuff too, but mainly - awesome job on the FP+ cheat!  We will be trying that out in exactly two weeks!  :jumpforjoy

Two weeks?

Woo Hoo!

That's soon!

I hope y'all have a great time.

When I lived in NY we teenagers took a trip to Action Park in 1985.  The Alpine Slides were my favorite.  But the boys liked to watch the water slides because the girls were always losing their tops. ROFL

How juvenile.

Are those water slides still there?

What was the address of this place again?

TCD

One last update from the June 8/9 trip, and then we're going to change our latitude.

We left off with us waiting for the FOF parade.

Does anyone remember way, way back when this TR began with Twin #2 and I at a SWW, and the guys we saw with the giant visors?

I asked at the time if it was a trend.

And we thought not.

Well, I'm not so sure, because another one just walked by:

6814419_zpsfa5f3253.jpg

That lady is taking no chances-she has a visor and an umbrella.

In case you haven't heard, the 3 o'clock parade begins at 3 o'clock.  At 2:39, there were still curbside seats available right on Main Street.  Of course, they were in the blazing sun.  But, if you had a giant visor and umbrella, you'd probably live:

6814420_zpsb4f4ad81.jpg

Waiting for a parade isn't bad.  There's usually good people watching, and pre-parade stuff to see.  Today, we got to see a high school marching band from Texas, led by two guys in dark suits.  I bet they wish they had giant visors and umbrellas:

6814421_zpsd8cd7964.jpg

The high school band was followed by the Main Street Philharmonic:

6814423_zps2fb5a834.jpg

There were a bunch of photopass photographers out today.  A bunch:

6814424_zps41f186d5.jpg

I think there was training going on:

6814426_zpsa710440f.jpg

These trainees had no knickers:

6814428_zpsb09a3c73.jpg

I think they were supposed to be acting like a typical family, but they were pretty much just clowning around:

6814430_zpsc3b582f8.jpg

At 2:59 pm, the Grand Marshalls of the parade rolled by, so it won't be long now:

6814431_zps6b6f36a2.jpg

6814432_zps2351930f.jpg

One thing you might not know is that the parade does kick off at 3 pm.  But, it kicks off in Frontierland, and it moves pretty slow.  So that meant the photopass trainees had more time to goof around.  This time, that guy in front was acting like a kid who wanted to look everywhere but at the camera:

6814433_zps8e26c8cd.jpg

The real photopass photographer over on the right in the knickers seemed to be a bit irritated by the trainees:

6814434_zps5401e84d.jpg

The guy in front acting like a kid was having fun:

6814436_zpsc06e4639.jpg

As we continued to wait, a group of guests with earphones came down the street- I guess they were on some kind of tour:

6814438_zps78fe1f5e.jpg

Just up the street, there was a guy with a fannypack fooling around with the photopass photographers and acting crazy:

6814440_zpsbfb33fff.jpg

6814441_zpsf31466cf.jpg

The guy with the fannypack was dressed as a guest, but he was bossing the photopass photographers around, and staged this photo with one of the balloon pushers:

6814442_zpsc5aa66a3.jpg

I am glad the fannypack guy was down the street- he was annoying.  He was running from one side of the street to the next and urging the guests waiting for the parade to clap and cheer.  Who the heck was this guy?  The way he acted, I figured he was an off duty CM. If that is what he was, then he shouldn't have been acting like that.  I think he was the only one amused by his antics.

In case you're wondering how long it takes the FOF parade to reach this part of Main Street, this photo of the very beginning of the parade was taken at 3:24 pm- so there's a bit more of a wait here on Main Street:

6814443_zps510118d5.jpg

This is the first float- I've posted a lot of FOF parade photos at this point, so I'm just going to include maybe a dozen or so to finish out this update:

6814448_zps71065dd2.jpg

This was embarrassing.  Elsa spotted me, and gave me a big wave.  It's hard being famous sometimes:

6814450_zpsa0b060e5.jpg

The spinner on that float sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Today it was working, so we got to see Tiana and Naveene:

6814452_zpsd2e43c99.jpg

Here's something fishy.  This was a Monday.  I wonder if they give some of the dancers a day off?  Because there were only two with the big mime, and there have definitely been more than two the other times we've watched the parade:

6814455_zps0fec782d.jpg

It also seems like there were less dancers with Ariel:

6814464_zps0e2d7c52.jpg

The very first time I watched this parade was back in March, and I wondered how these guys with costumes that look like they're made out of shower curtains would do in the summer.  Apparently, someone just realized that those costumes are torture, because these guys lost their hoods, and have their sleeves pushed up:

6814470_zpsa6d6e3bf.jpg

The poor Lost Boys still are wearing their very hot looking costumes.   I don't know how they can run and dance in this heat:

6814473_zps668567de.jpg

The Peter Pan float is still too high.  Just Captain Hook was swinging on the anchor, so I guess that's the way it is:

6814474_zps8399ce1a.jpg

It looked like all of Merida's dancers showed up for work today:

6814485_zps8cd9b0b4.jpg

I am getting better at getting fire breathing dragon shots:

6814501_zps358baa05.jpg

I ended up with a pretty good Goofy photo:

6814528_zps63d4b9e8.jpg

And then the parade was over.

So we left.

This is the last photo I had from that trip- on the way back to the Fort at 3:50 pm:

6814539_zpscd9205b6.jpg

We took the bus to the Outpost, and went home.

Just a few days later we loaded up the Big Blue Excursion and headed south.  And we didn't stop until we couldn't go south anymore.

I have a few photos from that trip to share.

TCD

Wow.  How big was you cooler?  Did you stash it someplace, or carry it around in a gigantic stroller?

14"x20"x5".  It is a soft-sided. It fit under our stroller.  I don't think it could be termed a gigantic stroller.  LOL

I think you are forced to be organized if you have six kids.  If you haven't read Marty's report, you ought to.  She did a great job.

I'm looking forward to the next trip report!

Thank you!  I am looking forward to writing the next one.  :)

When I lived in NY we teenagers took a trip to Action Park in 1985.  The Alpine Slides were my favorite.  

I remember going to Action Park once with some friends in the late 80's.  We had a blast!

Four wheels?  And the guest stands while using it?  I definitely haven't seen one of those around the parks.  I've seen 3 wheel scooters with the guest in a seated position, but not standing.  I want to see one of these.

http://www.news965.com/news/news/local/disney-brings-electric-standing-vehicles-magic-kin/nXff9/

We're exactly two weeks out, as well! No Fort this time, though (well, maybe a visit for dinner). We'll be at Saratoga Springs.

TCD - you got some great parade pictures. I hope to see this parade when we head back.

Great dragon shot!  Looking forward to your Key West pictures.

Thanks.  I am not that happy with the dragon shot.  I took it a second too early, and missed some of the fire.

This is Twin #1's photo, which she took with her phone, the same day:

dragon_zps1ab241e6.jpg

Thank you!  I am looking forward to writing the next one.   :)

I remember going to Action Park once with some friends in the late 80's.  We had a blast!

Uh oh.  I hope you weren't at Action Park at the same time the boys in Annie's group were staking out the water slide to watch the girls.  That would be awkward.

Thanks.  I was expecting something bigger- it kind of looks like a scooter to me:

electric_standing_vehicle.jpg

I don't know why anyone would choose that over a regular sitting scooter.

We're exactly two weeks out, as well! No Fort this time, though (well, maybe a visit for dinner). We'll be at Saratoga Springs. TCD - you got some great parade pictures. I hope to see this parade when we head back.

Woo Hoo!  No tent for you!

TCD

We're heading south!

On the morning of June 11, we packed up the Big Blue Excursion and headed south.

First stop was just down the road to pick up my 82 year old mother-in-law.

This trip was her idea.

When the kids were smaller, we took a few trips like this.  Grandma would rent out a cottage someplace, and all of Mrs. TCD's siblings and their kids would vacation with Grandma for a week.  It was fun.

This year, for Christmas, Grandma told everyone that she wanted to treat them to a trip to Key West.  She'd provide the accommodations, and pay for flights for anyone who didn't want to drive.

Picking a date was impossible.  The youngest cousin is in high school.  The rest are in college, and one is done with college and married.

But, the sisters did the best they could, and we arrived on a date that most could make.  But, that was before Twin #2 knew she had been accepted into the DCP.  She was only able to finagle two days off while we were there, and decided against coming.  The oldest TCD DD also could only stay for two nights, and backed out as well.

So, this trip is just Mrs. TCD, her mom, Twin #1 and me.  And a bunch of cousins and some aunts you'll see later.

After picking up Grandma, we headed south, across the Sunshine Skyway bridge, and all the way down to Naples.  So far so good.

At Naples, the smart thing to do would be to stay on 75 and cross the Everglades.

But, if there's one thing you can say about me, it's that I'm not smart.  I wanted to hit some roadside attractions that I had visited with the kids when we made a previous visit to the Keys.  So, we headed a bit south of 75, and got on the famed Tamiami Trail.  The original US 41, which connected Miami and Tampa in the early part of the last century.  This truly is a road that has been forgotten.  I forgot that it has just one lane in each direction, but traffic wasn't bad.  In fact, there wasn't any traffic.  No one drives on this road anymore.  Well, that's not entirely true, because there was roadkill, so someone had.  Speaking of roadkill,  as we were cruising along, I noticed some buzzards having a snack in the opposite lane up ahead.  A car was approaching from the other direction, and I figured he would scare the birds off.  So, I didn't slow.  I must have been going 55 or 60.  That other car and I reached the buzzards at the same time, and they scattered.  Fine. The only problem was that one scattered right in front of me.  WHACK!  The buzzards had some more to eat.  No big deal.  Just hit the grill.  Thank goodness it wasn't the windshield.  We proceeded on.

Our first stop was in Ochopee, which claims to have the world's smallest post office.  I got out to see if there were any bird feathers in the grill, and was surprised to see this, which was briefly immortalized in a Snapchat video by Twin #1:

buzzard_zpsadfc0bbc.png

Dang it.

That stupid buzzard broke the Big Blue Excursion. 

Again, thank goodness it wasn't the windshield.

Should have taken the interstate.

But, if we had, we would have missed this:

61714001_zps3a0f0d35.jpg

61714004_zpsaf3d10b4.jpg

Here's Grandma and Twin #1:

smallestpo_zps6958b65f.jpg

Just down the road from the World's Smallest Post Office is the Skunk Ape Headquarters.  A lot of you probably never heard of the Skunk Ape.  He is the Everglades version of Bigfoot, and there's a research center/campground right here in the middle of nowhere:

61714005_zpsd982d2b7.jpg

Twin #1 looked for the Skunk Ape, but only found mosquitoes:

skunkape_zps6cf53972.jpg

The place has a nice gift shop, though:

61714007_zps8a68cb43.jpg

61714009_zps02c1d0ea.jpg

In case you're interested, there's a campground right next to the Skunk Ape Research Center, and sites are only $30 a night: http://www.evergladescamping.net/

We drove some more.

And then some more still.

Florida is a big state.

Folks from NJ and such can never understand how big Florida is.

Our drive today was going to be around 430 miles.  And we live halfway down the state.

The girls wanted lunch.

But, I pushed things a bit so we could stop for lunch at Robbie's in Islamorada.  It's another place we visited before, and that I wanted to stop at on the way down.

Here we are:

robbies_zps231fb6d5.jpg

The food was good.

But that's not why we stopped.

I wanted Grandma to feed the Tarpon:

61714010_zps0e8c7dbb.jpg

The deal here is you buy a bucket of fish and go out on the dock and feed the school of Tarpon that hang around there.  This guy manning the fish bucket counter was loving life:

61714012_zps076bd4cd.jpg

If you drop something in the water, tough luck, it ends up here:

61714013_zpsf9b72b38.jpg

Here's the dock it costs a dollar to walk on:

61714014_zps70cd1ba8.jpg

And these are the Tarpon:

61714015_zps9445ab17.jpg

I guess this is the biting pelican:

61714016_zpsfa6894aa.jpg

Twin #1's technique:

61714017_zps8f7d73d7.jpg

61714018_zpsfbf30e17.jpg

The hungry fish:

61714019_zpsb22442fd.jpg

Dangling the fish:

61714020_zps80cd6576.jpg

Feeding frenzy:

61714021_zps671ae216.jpg

I had to try:

tarpon_zps4fd60beb.jpg

The view from here:

61714022_zpsa11715d0.jpg

They have a great bar here, which I would love to visit some time:

61714024_zpse86188b3.jpg

Some more driving, and here we are- this is the house Grandma rented for the week:

61714025_zps885d3783.jpg

It was in the historic area of Key West.  There was no parking at the house- we had to find a spot on the street.  And, we were a mile from Duval Street.  Maybe not the best place to be.  But, the house was nice, and the walking did us good.

We were not far from the water, and we walked down to see the sun set over the marina:

kwsunset_zpscd5d5fee.jpg

Later,  we all walked down to Duval Street, and saw many interesting things.  Here's Twin #1 and one of her cousins meeting Darth Vader,  Who needs Hollywood Studios?:

kwdv_zps433bf6bf.jpg

That was pretty much it for our arrival day.  It was a long drive, and we were tired.  Tomorrow, we would be touring the city via the Conch Train.

TCD

I remember nothing from the Tamiami Trail during our family's late 70's trip except we were on it.  Route 66 FL style.  Might have to plan something before it rots away....

Love the "Do Not Remove Tarpon From Water' sign.  Amazing what needs to be said these days.

Is that real money hanging from the bar roof?  That would be gone up here before you could say 'Jersey Sucks'.

Sweet rental house.

We're exactly two weeks out, as well! No Fort this time, though (well, maybe a visit for dinner). We'll be at Saratoga Springs. TCD - you got some great parade pictures. I hope to see this parade when we head back.

Woo Hoo!  No tent for you!

TCD

Yup! We're excited about our own bathroom and air conditioning!