A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

I remember the cat man from when I was there in 1999.  I didn't get to see the hoop of fire either.  My traveling companions hustled me on board to get ready for dinner.  *sigh*

Probably no one is interested in this but me, but here is an article about the cruise line announcing that they would now offer a longer amount of time in Key West: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1996-10-31/business/9610301018_1_cape-canaveral-cruise-cruises-from-port-west-cruises

Seems like maybe two years ago.  Hard to believe that the baby I had weaned so i could go on this cruise is now 6'2" and learning to drive!

Such a strange little island. 

I haven't even shared the strangest stuff yet.

10-4

Do not go in Hemingway's house.

I am allergic to cats......in that quantity....it would not be a pretty sight.

I don't even think you should walk down the street that house is on.  If the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, you're a goner.

I remember the cat man from when I was there in 1999.  I didn't get to see the hoop of fire either.  My traveling companions hustled me on board to get ready for dinner.  *sigh*

Probably no one is interested in this but me, but here is an article about the cruise line announcing that they would now offer a longer amount of time in Key West: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1996-10-31/business/9610301018_1_cape-canaveral-cruise-cruises-from-port-west-cruises

Seems like maybe two years ago.  Hard to believe that the baby I had weaned so i could go on this cruise is now 6'2" and learning to drive!

You are the second person who said they saw the cat man that far back.  I never have seen him, but thanks to Al Gore's wonderful invention, I found that the cat man has his own website, which includes a photo of him that was definitely taken quite a while ago:

http://www.catmankeywest.com/

Then I found an article about him on a CNN site that says he's been performing at Key West since 1981.  Yes 81!:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-714243

And, there are a ton of videos on YouTube.  Which is funny, because he expressly told the audience that no taping was allowed.  This clip is 7 minutes long, and gives a good flavor or how annoying the act it.  But, it does conclude with the hoop of fire.  I'm glad that I didn't miss the sunset for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otnMcXk3AtI

I've been on the grounds of Hemingway's house but never toured the inside.  Lots of cats outdoors, but they didn't bother me.  Glad I didn't go in!

You had a decent sunset.

The inside probably wouldn't be bad in the morning or on a winter day.  But never again in the summer.

Yeah, that sunset was OK.  Like I said earlier, I can see much nicer ones not far from my house.

TCD

You have completely squashed any desire I may have had to see Ernest Hemingway's house, and for that I thank you. I would have been sorely disappointed to find its a boring, hot, smelly house.

Your Smithsonian comment made me smile. When we took our girls there a few years ago all they wanted to know about each museum was whether or not it had a gift shop. I guess they're more the shopping type, not the museum type.

Yeah, that sunset was OK.  Like I said earlier, I can see much nicer ones not far from my house.

TCD

Excellent!  Then we shall come to your house for a week, going out i the evening to watch the sunset and allow Mrs. TCD time to cook our dinner.  What dates work for everybody?  Mo?  Dave?  Gwen?   Lou?

Excellent!  Then we shall come to your house for a week, going out i the evening to watch the sunset and allow Mrs. TCD time to cook our dinner.  What dates work for everybody?  Mo?  Dave?  Gwen?   Lou?

What about 10/7?  We can have a leisurely time at TCD's house mosey on up to the Fort in time to check in on 10/14.

TCD, do you have 50 amp hookups at your house?  If not, we'll just run the generator.

Marty, does that work with your schedule?  Lou is close by and I assume could arrive at any time.  We all know Mo would be there.

I swear that Hog's Breath has changed locations.  It  was much closer to the west end of Duval Street than I remember.

TCD

I'm pretty sure it's always been pretty far down on the west end from what I remember.

Hey I meant to tell you in my first post have you heard of Silver Airways?  I found them this past spring, I've never used them but looks like they fly to Key West and all over Florida.  http://www.silverairways.com/

WBI

Kudos to you for climbing the KW lighthouse. I am a founding member of the FL Lighthouse Association and have climbed every public lighthouse and many that aren't in the state of FL. They are ALL hot and tight feeling but I never miss a chance to do it.

Also been to the Ernest Hemingway house, never again, I hate cats and they smell bad so that will be the only time I go there.

That looks like a nice house you all rented. Maybe I'll look into it for our next time since we don't have an RV anymore.

Snorkeling at Fort Zachary Taylor was pretty decent and the beach was nice there with a bar.

Pictures of Fort Zachary Taylor

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curbcrusher/sets/72157622391546697/

Pictures of Key West Lighthouse

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curbcrusher/sets/72157622392483271/

I'm thinking that Michael probably likes the new Little Mermaid ride, and the Main Street Electrical Parade, and other fun stuff that DIT hates.  That's what I figure he meant.

Our Conch Train guide mentioned how the old houses were mostly built by ship carpenters.  He also pointed out how close they are together, and how they all have metal roofs.  The metal roofs apparently came into play after a big fire with sparks from one house landing on the roof of the next and igniting it.

I didn't think about them wanting the cruise ships out before sunset.  We were actually at Mallory Square once when the Disney Magic was docked there, and got to watch it leave right before the sunset celebration.  This was in December, so sunset was much earlier than it was on this trip in June.

I want to make a trip where I stay on a few different Keys on the way to Key West.  Did you like where you stayed on Conch Key?  We did spend the night once on Key Largo, and were going to snorkel at John Pennekamp SP, but the weather ended up being too rough for us to go out.

If I ever find myself in Buffalo, I will make a point to watch the sunset after I get some chicken wings.

If you get a chance to go to Key West, you really ought to. Unfortunately, Southwest just dropped their routes there, so airfare is ridiculous. At least it was when we looked at it for this trip.

I highly recommend the drive- maybe fly into Miami and rent a convertible? That would be fun.

I intend to visit the OKW resort the next chance I get. I have to believe that it is a much romanticized version of the real thing. The real thing is kind of dirty and edgy. In a good way.

I should have learned my lesson. But, those cheap Coleman cameras are catching my eye.

You and me both. I apologize. I shouldn't have done that.

LOL.

My camper is a Coleman, and it has served me well. Of course, it wasn't Coleman that actually built it.

These cameras are no doubt made in China and the Coleman name is slapped on.

TCD

Long story short, my family fished and we went to the Keys every year from 1946 until the older ones could not go. Probable around 1990, always stayed in same house last 40 years, always right after school was out. I went a few times after, but finally had to give it up due to gas cost. til ave my boat and fishing gear would love to get one more trip, but age is starting to be against me. 

That Island in the sunset picture is a man made one, actually it is the bottom of the harbor that was dredged so large ships could get in. I understand property on it is very expensive.

Houston, we have a problem.

The surf protection software I use on my primary computer is blocking access to Fortfiends.net.

That's where all my photos are.

I posted on the Technical Issues board, and hopefully Super Geek will come to the rescue.

If not, I may have to switch some things around on my end.

At any rate, the operation of this ride is temporarily suspended. I hope not for long.

TCD

I am sorry to say that our latest underwater camera went belly-up right after that photo was taken.  I couldn't take any more photos after that last one, and the camera has since refused to turn on, no matter what I try.

So, no barracuda or sea turtle photos for you to enjoy. Bummer.  That camera lasted us two summers, and this would have been the third.  We have bad luck with underwater cameras.  So, I buy the cheapest ones I can find.

Just a quick hijack while this TR is on hiatus. I was on my favourite "best of" site today (parents' TV died recently) and saw they of course have a recommendation for what they consider to be the best waterproof camera.

Hope the computer gremlins get sorted out for you soon!

I had a FP+ for this ride and it broke down.....i really hate MyTragic+.

Bring back the paper FPs and MSB cinnamon rolls.

If they can bring back the Orange Bird, they can bring back paper FPs and MSB cinnamon rolls.

What is going on?

Free TCD's pics! Free TCD's pics! Free TCD's pics!

Attica! Attica!

TCD report on his Trip to the Keys has started me thinking I should write down some of the things we did in the 40 years or so going fishing to the Keys. There are only 2 of us left who went and both of us are in our 70s. Don't know if anyone in my family would be interested, but would hate for all the memories to be completely forgotten. If there is anyone on this board interested in how a Florida farm family went fishing cheap every summer, I could post some of them on here.

TCD report on his Trip to the Keys has started me thinking I should write down some of the things we did in the 40 years or so going fishing to the Keys. There are only 2 of us left who went and both of us are in our 70s. Don't know if anyone in my family would be interested, but would hate for all the memories to be completely forgotten. If there is anyone on this board interested in how a Florida farm family went fishing cheap every summer, I could post some of them on here.

Post it!

Tom, Post them...    I love fishing and fishing stories

I saw and had pictures of the cat going thru the ring of fire back in 1990, but tragically they perished in my own fire....the pictures, that is.

That's the last time I was there.  The place looks the same.

Hope Super Geek come thru soon so you can get back to posting.