The only real checkout procedure you need to do is as follows: go to Trails End and get some of those pecan sticky buns. Carefully wrap them, and bring them with you when you head back this way. PM me when you are home and I'll make arrangements to pick them up.

Good luck with them not being "lost" in transit.

I usually offer an incentive (read: bribe) to my kids for being helpful and no fighting or complaining. I'm sad, they are sad and sometimes negative feelings can color the end of a nice trip. Give them one more thing to look forward to.

I usually send them on "spot checks" around the campsite, give them a bag or a cup from the garbage, and tell them to look for little stuff that God didn't put there. Leave it better than you found it.

I'm sorry you have to go, but come on back and see us again now, 'ya hear?

It really is hard to leave.  Even though I live nearby, I still hate that part.  There is something about the Fort that makes it an oasis.  We'll be at Lake Louisa State park this weekend, but that is nothing like the Fort.  We'll be back at the Fort in mid August, unless we can get there earlier!

This is the saddest topic of all.  We usually pack most things the day before departure, but there is always the utilities to disconnect.  When the power is transferred to the gennie, we know the end is near.  Then there's that LONG drive home, no matter how short it might really be. Just one thing to look forward to: check the ticker to see how long until the next trip.  "Happy Trails to You, Until We Meet Again."

The only cure is to start planning your next trip! Also reminisce on your way home about all the little things that made your trip magical and write them down. You'll always remember the big highlights but sometimes the little things get lost in the fog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We try very hard to do "something" after packing up so that is not the last thing we are doing. For example, we pack up everything and hitch up, except electric cord the day before, then go out to dinner that evening, then the next morning, we try to go to Toy Story Mania at rope drop before getting on the road.

This is the saddest topic of all.  We usually pack most things the day before departure, but there is always the utilities to disconnect.  When the power is transferred to the gennie, we know the end is near.  Then there's that LONG drive home, no matter how short it might really be. Just one thing to look forward to: check the ticker to see how long until the next trip.  "Happy Trails to You, Until We Meet Again."

I agree with Mr. Ken!

Hope your trip was magical and that the journey home is smooth.  :)

We have found that our car develops a turning problem and can't make the proper turn toward the exit. So we usually make a quick stop at the Meadow Trading Post for one last look around and possibly a last souvenir. Even so, it's rarely a "magical day."

As long as you know you're doing it and don't hear a response, you're ok.

Who am I kidding, you're as nuts as they come.

smiley-blowing-kisses.gif

We try very hard to do "something" after packing up so that is not the last thing we are doing.

Really good point, Carol!

We usually pack up just about everything the afternoon before, leaving just the final unhooking and hitching up in the morning.

DH gets particularly bummed out after we're packed. I'd like to do one last nice dinner out, but he's not keen as he's already starting to worry about the long ride home.

So a couple of years ago we decided to do a monorail tour our last evening.  Not a super crazy (read "drinking") one, just a leisurely one where we share an appetizer here and there, and hop from resort to resort, but no pressure of a big sit-down meal.  That also puts us in close proximity to MK for one last fireworks viewing. 

That did the trick.  It kept DH from dwelling too much on the long ride home, and we still had a really nice last evening of vacation.  :)

On our last day we depart the fort ... drive about 8 hours and spend a night at a particular Cracker Barrel about 4 hours from home.  We are still on vacation ... Don't anyone burst our bubble!  The next day we arrive home by noon and look at each other ... we both agree that if we could afford it, we would turn around and go right back to the fort.

We usually get home Saturday evening, and yes, we're still on vacation too!  (one more day anyway)

Our usual Saturday night routine is park the camper (maybe unhitch, maybe leave it until Sunday) and order Chinese takeout from our favorite place nearby.  Yes, that means one of us actually has to get back in the car.  8)

Last year we made really good time getting home.  Once we hit our exit we called in a takeout sushi order from our other favorite place.  We literally parked the camper in the yard and I jumped in our other car to go pickup the food just before they closed.

We usually get home Saturday evening, and yes, we're still on vacation too!  (one more day anyway)

Our usual Saturday night routine is park the camper (maybe unhitch, maybe leave it until Sunday) and order Chinese takeout from our favorite place nearby.  Yes, that means one of us actually has to get back in the car.  8)

Last year we made really good time getting home.  Once we hit our exit we called in a takeout sushi order from our other favorite place.  We literally parked the camper in the yard and I jumped in our other car to go pickup the food just before they closed.

Because Rick is retired, we usually stretch vacation to the last possible minute. We usually pull the camper into the back yard, push it into the garage, pull out Rick's CPAP, and go to bed. Then I'm off to work the next morning. Then over the course of the following week, we unpack the camper. We actually do the bulk of the laundry while we're breaking down at the Fort.

Because Rick is retired, we usually stretch vacation to the last possible minute. We usually pull the camper into the back yard, push it into the garage, pull out Rick's CPAP, and go to bed. Then I'm off to work the next morning. Then over the course of the following week, we unpack the camper. We actually do the bulk of the laundry while we're breaking down at the Fort.

If it were up to me, that's how we'd do it too, as it would buy us one more day at the Fort.

But DH needs a day to regroup, so...

smiley-blowing-kisses.gif

So a couple of years ago we decided to do a monorail tour our last evening. Not a super crazy (read "drinking") one, just a leisurely one where we share an appetizer here and there, and hop from resort to resort, but no pressure of a big sit-down meal. That also puts us in close proximity to MK for one last fireworks viewing.

)

That sounds really nice