Hi!  Frequent lurker, first time question.  We will be at Disney 11/29 - 12/9 and were able to get reservations for a campsite for every night but December 5th.   It is a Friday night, but if we can get a reservation for the Saturday of Thanksgiving, I have no idea why Dec. 5 is all booked up.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks/1

Deb B.

Hi! Frequent lurker, first time question. We will be at Disney 11/29 - 12/9 and were able to get reservations for a campsite for every night but December 5th. It is a Friday night, but if we can get a reservation for the Saturday of Thanksgiving, I have no idea why Dec. 5 is all booked up.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks/1

Deb B.

No specific knowledge but that is usually the weekend of the parade taping. I think there is also usually a sport group at Wide World of Sports so maybe family for that.

:welcome:

Have you tried the reservation "game"?  Book a longer period of time (2-3 weeks) with the date you want in the middle somewhere. Sometimes you'll find that it's suddenly available - particularly for weekend nights. 

If that works, book it, then call back and cancel the nights you don't need and link that reservation to your others.

I know that people have been having a hard time finding any availability around Thanksgiving into early December this year, but as Carol said, there should be cancellations as time goes on.

Good luck!!

Pop Warner events start on the 6th, but the vast majority stay at either the values and one or two moderates.

Wasnt sure about the families who may want to camp. 

I will say I have a customer looking for Dec 5-8 and I have been working on that for a while now. The availability from Thanksgiving through New Years seems to be very very low this year. 

Eighteen years when I first started, at WDW, I noticed that the resorts that I was working at were pretty quiet during the couple of weeks after Thanksgiving. But over the years as more and more people are finding out, I've noticed that it's not so slow anymore.

It's still one of my favorite times to be at WDW, and if you can find accommodations, I highly recommend it.

When we first started going after Thanksgiving (8 years ago) the Travel Channel had a holiday special out touting the big "secret" of how great those weeks were.  Samantha Brown even toured the Fort and met with some of the big holiday decorators.

It was really great the first couple of times, but then steadily started to get busier and busier every year since.  It's still a nice time to go, but it's definitely not what I'd call "slow" anymore.

Darn you, Samantha Brown!

When we first started going after Thanksgiving (8 years ago) the Travel Channel had a holiday special out touting the big "secret" of how great those weeks were.  Samantha Brown even toured the Fort and met with some of the big holiday decorators.

It was really great the first couple of times, but then steadily started to get busier and busier every year since.  It's still a nice time to go, but it's definitely not what I'd call "slow" anymore.

Darn you, Samantha Brown!

We first started going to the Fort after Thanksgiving in 2007 and had the same experience.  We haven't been able to go that time of year in several years now, but I'm sad to hear it is busier than it used to be.  

Have you tried the reservation "game"?  Book a longer period of time (2-3 weeks) with the date you want in the middle somewhere. Sometimes you'll find that it's suddenly available - particularly for weekend nights. 

If that works, book it, then call back and cancel the nights you don't need and link that reservation to your others.

I know that people have been having a hard time finding any availability around Thanksgiving into early December this year, but as Carol said, there should be cancellations as time goes on.

Good luck!!

This is Why sites are not avail,, this is the same game the travel agents play,,  

Good luck!!

This is Why sites are not avail,, this is the same game the travel agents play,,  

Maybe, but if DISNEY had a logical reservation system nobody would need to play that game.

Maybe, but if DISNEY had a logical reservation system nobody would need to play that game.

Very true. If the system would just let you book the open sites without their algorithm they have to get longer bookings, and one of the people on the travel agent line confirmed there is definitely an algorithm that is also in play at the other resorts, people would be able to know if something was available and just book it. Instead people have to jump through hoops to get what they are looking for and make calls to cancel the days they dont actually need but had to book to get what they do. 

Sigh. Can you tell I spend a lot of time beating on this system. It's the only downside to the TA gig so far. 

I'm talking about calling back immediately after booking (same day) to cancel the extra days.

If Disney's reservation system gave you true availability on the site, instead of using shenanigans to encourage longer stays, it wouldn't be necessary to do this at all.

We had to do this once.  I needed to add a Friday on the front of our 3 week reservation.  After trying many, many times over many weeks, I tried booking 2 weeks with that Friday in the middle.  Suddenly that Friday was available!  (go figure).  I booked the 2 weeks, then called CRO immediately to drop all the extra days.  It wasn't an hour from start to finish.

• 1 month later...

I keep checking for a full hookup site to open up on December 5th as we have the 6th-21st booked but would like to come the 5th.

Just curious...Are you calling or just checking the website? I wasn't looking for the 5th, but I called and was able to add the 6th to my December reservation.

Eighteen years when I first started, at WDW, I noticed that the resorts that I was working at were pretty quiet during the couple of weeks after Thanksgiving. But over the years as more and more people are finding out, I've noticed that it's not so slow anymore.

It's still one of my favorite times to be at WDW, and if you can find accommodations, I highly recommend it.

This is both good and bad to hear. We booked the week after Thanksgiving because it was supposed to be a "quiet" time, but it looks like the Fort is booked solid that week now, so maybe not...

I am happy to hear that you still enjoy that time, even if it is going to be busy. I'm personally looking forward to all the decorated campsites!

There is a 45 day cancellation window for packages, and a 5-day cancellation window for "site only", and folks WILL cancel.

Do folks cancel around major holidays too? Still trying to get a site upgrade around Thanksgiving, and considering a trip out after Christmas (likely staying offsite - - BOOOOO!)

I've been checking the site daily, but didn't think about the 5-day site only cancellations...food for thought...and fingers crossed!

This is both good and bad to hear. We booked the week after Thanksgiving because it was supposed to be a "quiet" time, but it looks like the Fort is booked solid that week now, so maybe not...

The Fort may be full but overall it's not a crazy busy time at WDW.  It's more crowded than it used to be, but still not terrible.

Do folks cancel around major holidays too?

Yes they do.