The Helmsey's First Family Trip to the Fort

Another great update.

Tech problems SMB.

Good tip on the RV compartments.

Yes, the problems did definitely SMB but luckily they were fixed somewhat easily

What a great morning at MK!  Love your family pics with Talking Mickey.

We liked him, wasn't sure if we would but he was ok :)

Yes

Ok smarty, care to elaborate?

Great update.

Man, that stunk that you had to go all the way back to get your pass.  But lesson learned, right?

We have had enough problems with our MB's that I know that when we visit a park, I bring:

1. My actual plastic pass.

2. My Magic Band

3. A smart phone with screen grabs of the FP+'s we pre-selected so we can argue with the CM's when they tell us that one or all of us don't have a FP+ for a certain attraction.

4. A photo ID so I can prove who I am when there is a technology breakdown; and

5.. My blank KTTW card in case we need to make an after hours pit stop at the Fort on the way back to the site.

See how much better and simpler Disney has made things by introducing the My Disney Experience program?

That Billion dollars they spent and will be passing off to us with price hikes is truly magical.

TCD

Lesson learned for sure, even though you think you have something rather important on your person, it wouldn't hurt to double check.

You will have to overlook their issues, after all they have now given us a Starbucks! (sarcasm)

Sucks about the ticket debacle, but man, it seems you made up for it.

Oh, and yes, Lou knows what that monorail contraption is....

Ya, definitely not the most magical moment.

I think that's the contraption that chases squirrels off the beams.  

And that really sucks about the MB issue.  So freakin magical.  

Poor squirrels.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just LOVE coming back to the Fort to the sounds of the EWP.  It's one of the magical things about the Fort that cannot be replicated anywhere else on earth. 

Sunday May 4th Again

At some point we got a boat back to the MK. I’m really not good with keeping track of time while on vacation so I have no idea what time it was. And, I’m typing this TR up a while  after being home, that doesn’t help either J

A couple birds keeping the shoe tree from floating away

IMG_4249_zpsc5ffbf00.jpg

Hey look, a stretchy bus

IMG_4263_zps210da88d.jpg

And….we’re back

IMG_4272_zps049b09ff.jpg

We had FP+ for Buzz and Haunted Mansion tonight and that was really the only things we had on our agenda for the evening.

While in line for Buzz we realized my mother was more important that we thought, she has her own quadrant. I guess I should clarify that DD2 calls her Gamma so we all got a chuckle at this

IMG_4273_zps31f720b9.jpg

Gamma and her little buddy after Buzz

IMG_4280_zpse609f070.jpg

They were looking at a dance party going on close by

IMG_4283_zps03d2079c.jpg

We noticed the people mover was walk on, and had time to kill before HM FP+ so we got on.

DW and DD1

IMG_4287_zps6aef487a.jpg

The other people mover car full of our group

IMG_4300_zpsf530babc.jpg

After that we saw the photopass photog taking pictures with the castle as the background so we hopped in line for that. I bought the memory maker for this trip and we wanted to make sure we got our $$ worth.

wd038wdw201412571058949_zpsd554bf64.jpeg

After that we made our way over to HM in time for our FP+. It was really nice walking by all those other people standing in the stand by line and walking right into the stretching room. And, thanks to the hints I’ve seen here, we made our way under the lady with the umbrella. The doors opened and we were one of the firsts out. For some reason I don’t have any pics of this ride on any of the 3 cameras I had on my person.

After riding HM it was time to call it a night. We were trying to get out of the parks before the electric parade started. We were directed to go out Casey’s and take it all the way to the exit.  On the way out I got this pic of the castle

IMG_4308_zps5ff6f807.jpg

After that we made our way to the exit, got on a boat, and floated back to the campground. As we got off the boat, we saw this

IMG_1089_zpsbefddbb2.jpg

We sat and watched it (sorry Lou) and the girls enjoyed it. We hopped on our carts and headed back to the campers. After this day, we all were ready for bed. It started out being pretty hectic, frustrating, and not as “magical” as we expected. But, after we regrouped things got better fast.

We’ll pick things up with Monday morning with a character breakfast. And this is where pictures and memory start to go…so we might jump around a little, and might not even make sense all the time J

I just LOVE coming back to the Fort to the sounds of the EWP.  It's one of the magical things about the Fort that cannot be replicated anywhere else on earth. 

The girls loved it, I liked it, I don't know what Lou's problem is with it :)

I agree Dave. It is downright magical and amazing.

Looking forward to more Todd.

That is a great family photo in front of the castle.

More coming right up!

Great family photo with the castle in the background!

Thank you!

Monday May 5th

First order of business today was to take a boat and head to Chef Mickeys.

FIL and DD2 on the little boat

IMG_4317_zps3b4421f5.jpg

MIL and DD1 on the same boat

IMG_4318_zps208cb1a2.jpg

After we arrived we made it up the few floors to the dining area, had our pictures made with this fella

18cd11f9-0fd3-4e0d-b61a-6c9d6d099eed_zps

We sat down a few minutes later and made our way around the buffet for food. It wasn’t long until we got our first sighting, I believe it was a goofy sighting

IMG_4329_zps1aee0004.jpg

DD1 even seemed a little excited

IMG_4344_zpsde00986f.jpg

Shortly after that a steady flow of characters came by to visit and the girls seemed to enjoy it. I took a little over 200 pictures at breakfast, but will only post a couple J

IMG_4364_zps52344e25.jpg

IMG_4465_zpsba5c4c47.jpg

IMG_4393_zpscb2bd30d.jpg

IMG_4433_zps5cb67008.jpg

IMG_4455_zps268dc0f0.jpg

After breakfast we didn’t have anything until some FP’s for the afternoon in the MK. M&FIL decided to head over to Epcot via monorail, my mom needed to run back to Haines City to take care of some stuff, so we decided to hop on the monorail and take a leisurely ride.

From the order of the photos it appears we got off the monorail at the Poly. We walked around and checked it out some and went into the gift shop and got the girls a cookie to split. We decided to head downstairs and find Captain Cooks to check it out, and let the girls have a snack there. I’m not sure if I knew of the renovations of Cooks, if so I had forgotten and was greatly disappointed when we walked into the temporary location. Felt like an old hospital cafeteria, nothing “Disney” about it at all. But we were here so we grabbed a seat and let the girls have a treat.

DD2

IMG_4472_zps05d61a83.jpg

DD1 is more of an apple person so she gnawed on one of those.

IMG_4477_zpsbd5d5d02.jpg

Selfie!

IMG_1101_zps175068bc.jpg

I saw this while we were in there, I don’t know what the thing in the middle was but I REALLY wanted to use it.

IMG_1099_zps94121913.jpg

At this point, judging from my pictures we hopped back on the monorail and headed over to the MK. As we were heading down main street we ran into this parade again

IMG_1152_zps786c6a3d.jpg

I didn’t mind this parade, it was pretty quick and the girls liked to dance to the music.

It also seemed like the CM’s gave everyone individual attention, or at least I felt that way.

IMG_1157_zps28e29804.jpg

IMG_1154_zps306edc3f.jpg

IMG_1151_zps85cc8390.jpg

IMG_1162_zpseec22c07.jpg

About now is when something terrible happened, I put the camera up and stopped taking a ton of pictures. I wanted to put it down some and enjoy some family time since we had a break from the group, and could enjoy the park together as the 4 of us.

We had FP for HM but decided to skip it since we just rode it the night before. We rode little mermaid, and after that took off towards adventureland to see Aladdin and his magic carpets. On the way we noticed IASM was walk on (imagine that) so we decided to just go ahead and do it. The girls liked it and danced in the boats, especially when we were lined up at the end waiting for what seemed like an eternity to get off the boat. We went from there over to check out the magic carpets and that turned out to be one of the girls favorite rides, and I have to admit I liked it more than I thought I would. We actually got off and got right back in line to ride again, it was a hit.

And now it was time to hop a boat back to the fort to relax and eventually have some dinner. We were sitting back and the camper and had both of the girls down for a nap when DW looks at me and says there is someone outside… I go peek outside and it was “The Lou” himself! He was kind enough to come find a new Fiend and grace us with his presence J We pulled out some chairs and sat outside and chatted for a while, it was really nice getting to hang out and talk with him. As we were chatting another Fiend stopped by, for the life of me I cannot remember her name…I’m horrible with those L We all hung around for a while and chit chatted outside and eventually DD2 woke up and came outside to play with us. We didn’t get to hang out as much as we’d like to have, but we got to meet some new people, and before Lou left he spiked me! Now I have to find a place to hang it in the camper, it will be a nice addition. Thanks for that, Lou.

And I’m still out of pictures from the rest of the day. It was kinda nice not having the camera out trying to take pics of every little thing, and enjoy family time. Spoiler alert…this means even less pictures the rest of the trip…

Tomorrow we will pick up with another breakfast and will take the girls over to New Smyrna Beach so they can see the ocean for the first time.

I saw this while we were in there, I don’t know what the thing in the middle was but I REALLY wanted to use it.

IMG_1099_zps94121913.jpg

LOL.

Just in case you really don't know what that doohickey is, they slide that over the dispenser on the carafes when they are empty or near empty. 

Great update- you girls really did enjoy Chef Mickey's,  I'm glad that you took 200 photos.  I'm also glad that you didn't share all of them.

TCD

Our DD loves that parade as well.

You met the lever puller named Lou?

But no pics?

Lou is kind of a diva and doesn't like his picture taken when he's not all spiffed up, so I forgive you.

No, didn't take any pics. Guess I was too "star struck"  :rofl3:

Great update!

LOL.

Just in case you really don't know what that doohickey is, they slide that over the dispenser on the carafes when they are empty or near empty. 

Great update- you girls really did enjoy Chef Mickey's,  I'm glad that you took 200 photos.  I'm also glad that you didn't share all of them.

TCD

Ah, that makes sense. Just though it was odd they would put something right there and tell me not to use it.

I tend to take a lot of pictures, a good and bad thing.

Love the excitement of your kids at Chef Mickey's.

How do we know you REALLY met Lou?

They loved it!

Well, I guess you'll have to take my word for it :D

Can I vouch for him?

Well there you have it, Kelly. Strait from the horses mouth  :clint:

I LOVE DD2's reaction to seeing the characters at Chef Mickey's!

They loved seeing each of the characters there. Got a lot more interaction there than with the talking Mickey we met earlier.

Chef Mickey's.....or as I call it, the $30 Shoney's buffet.  

I got off lucky on this one. FIL was feeling generous since I had been buying all the food up to this point (thanks magic bands, was too easy) and he volunteered to pick up the tab for this one. The look on his face when he got the bill for 5 adults and 2 kids was a good one.

Me too! That's the day that we met Lou!

The Lou gets around :)

OK, lets move on to Tuesday, shall we?

Tuesday May 6th

Today we had breakfast over at Whispering Canyon Café so again we hopped a small boat and went over to Wilderness Lodge to eat.

Looks crowded

DSC00757_zpsfa002917.jpg

Family shot

DSC00764_zpsb6af347e.jpg

We got to WL and checked it out for a few minutes and wondered over to Whispering Canyon. Now, I knew about the dining “experience” here but refrained from sharing that with anyone else…just a nice little surprise for them. Again, no pood forn but we all ate well. MIL and I both had an omelet, FIL had the big breakfast (don’t remember what it was called) and everyone else had some mickey waffles. The absolute best part of the meal for me is when our server brought over a coffee cup for my FIL that had lipstick on it. When he asked her for a new one, she told him “spin it around and it would be just fine. He didn’t look like a princess and didn’t need to be treated like one”. The look on everyones face was priceless J

After we ate we walked around and looked some.

Rocking kids

DSC00744_zps86d01d22.jpg

I really liked the décor in this place

DSC00747_zpsed549720.jpg

Question… We were sitting in the rockers and could see that there was a balcony looking thing at the top level. And on the wall there is some sort of wall plaque, but I cannot read it. Anybody know what it is or what it says (If so, could you share)? It’s barely visible in the top of this photo.

DSC00752_zpse8d4063e.jpg

Here is a somewhat better photo of that balcony and part of the sign

DSC00753_zps7834e79f.jpg

Ok, breakfast is over and we have checked out some of the lodge, time to pack up and head for the beach. Our plan was to throw stuff in the truck and head over to New Smyrna for the day, get some lunch and Manny’s and dinner at Blackbeard’s..sounds like a good day. On the way down I-4 MIL texted she wasn’t feeling good, about 10 minutes later I wasn’t feeling the best. We were the only 2 to have an omelet and neither of our stomachs felt the best…but we pushed through.

My favorite part about New Smyrna and Daytona area is you can drive on the beach. Pack everything you need in the truck, park, and you have it all right there. This was our setup for the day

IMG_4507_zps9d1a1852.jpg

DD2 enjoyed playing in/with the sand

DSC00771_zpsf3040775.jpg

DD1 enjoyed sitting with momma

DSC00772_zpsb950e718.jpg

DD2 is a waterbug, always has been

IMG_1181_zps885961d2.jpg

DD1 is not amused, anytime she got near the water this is what happened

IMG_1185_zpsdd26d91e.jpg

That will make our beach trip in September interesting J

All in all we had a good trip to the beach but MIL and I were still feeling bad so we decided to pack it in. Didn’t get a chance to eat at either place we wanted, oh well….next year.

We packed the truck up, washed sand out of the babies the best we could and headed back to the fort.

Once we were back and cleaned up we decided to spend some time checking out the Fort, something we didn’t do NEAR enough this trip.

Found a rocker

IMG_1188_zps6ca12b0d.jpg

Selfie!

IMG_1192_zps84614ea8.jpg

Next we took a stroll over to the sing along and movie area

IMG_1193_zpsa4d37ed8.jpg

We hung out here for a bit and ended up heading back to the camper before the movie started. The girls got to see the chipmunks and enjoyed that. I need to look back through my pictures, I know we took some here but things are starting to get spread out and I’m losing track of pictures. This is what happens when you wait too long to do a TR J

Coming up next, it’s Wednesday and a HS day.

I don't think your DD will like the beach. You should come to the Defeated Creek GG instead. She will love it there.

I learned a trick when mine were little about getting sand off of them. Use Baby Powder. Water makes the sand stick to their bodies. Brush some Baby Powder over the areas where the sand is first and it will come off. Just be sure to keep it away from their face so they don't breathe in the powder.

I can't really see the plaque you're talking about in your photos, but I'm curious about it now.  For what it's worth, I've tried to find a way to that staircase, and thus far have not found the way.  I know that they give guided tours of the Lodge, which I've never done.  Maybe they take guests there on the tour.  Anyway, I'm going to look for that plaque the next time I'm there.

Sorry about the bad omelets.  So, your father-in-law got the dirty coffee cup, but you and your mother-in-law are the ones who got sick?  Weird.

TCD

I'm still logged in and browsing so will go ahead and reply :)

Stomach issues SMB.

The Campfire sing-along, chip and dale, and outdoor movie are good times...our kids love it like I did when i was a kid.

Your DD not liking the water could change completely by the next trip.....you never know.

I hope so, there is a group of us heading to the beach in September and would really like it if she could at least tolerate the water.

I don't think your DD will like the beach. You should come to the Defeated Creek GG instead. She will love it there.

I learned a trick when mine were little about getting sand off of them. Use Baby Powder. Water makes the sand stick to their bodies. Brush some Baby Powder over the areas where the sand is first and it will come off. Just be sure to keep it away from their face so they don't breathe in the powder.

Lol, nice try but I think they are out of sites there anyway. It would be tempting to move the dates around if we weren't going with a group.

Thanks for the baby powder tip, will have to give that one a whirl.

I can't really see the plaque you're talking about in your photos, but I'm curious about it now.  For what it's worth, I've tried to find a way to that staircase, and thus far have not found the way.  I know that they give guided tours of the Lodge, which I've never done.  Maybe they take guests there on the tour.  Anyway, I'm going to look for that plaque the next time I'm there.

Sorry about the bad omelets.  So, your father-in-law got the dirty coffee cup, but you and your mother-in-law are the ones who got sick?  Weird.

TCD

It looks like the plaque says 7 1/2 on it, but didn't have the camera with the big zoom lens to get a good shot of it.

We think the omelets were the reason we were feeling bad, but luckily it was manageable. 

All caught up.  Great updates and overall a great time.

Don't worry about the pictures.  It's not a 'terrible thing'.  You need to enjoy your family through real life, not a viewfinder.