The Helmsey's First Family Trip to the Fort

I thought I’d share some of our experience on our first trip to the Fort. I’m doing this a month and half after getting back, and with my memory it might be missing parts, but I’ll give this a whirl.

Friday May 2nd

We left Knoxville by 8:00AM, 2 hours earlier than expected since neither DW or myself could sleep J

We weren't sure what to expect with the girls since we hadn't had them on a long drive like this, but they did great. We borrowed some DVD players that strap on the headrest for them to use. They don’t watch much TV at home but they seemed to appreciate the ability to watch periodically in the truck.

We drove to Eagles Roost RV resort and arrived a little after dinner time on Friday.

IMG_0967_zpse8762e7d.jpg

The truck needed fuel so I decided to go ahead and unhook so I could run back up the road for fuel and dinner. I filled the truck up with a fresh tank of diesel and ran over to Zaxby’s to get some dinner. I picked up chicken for everyone, and since the girls did so good being cooped up in the truck for 10 hours, I got them a little extra treat. Here is the scene back at the camper.

DD1 glad to not be in the truck

IMG_0970_zps9737e8fe.jpg

And DD2 drinking her chocolate cookie milkshake

IMG_0969_zps100edf02.jpg

That pretty much covers it for the day Friday, nice and uneventful.

A nice short start to the TR, I'll pick up with Saturday and our arrival in the next post.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just LOVE coming back to the Fort to the sounds of the EWP.  It's one of the magical things about the Fort that cannot be replicated anywhere else on earth. 

Miss the road trip days, but I got such a deal on non-stop flights this trip that the fuel cost would have been more than flying. And my kids refuse to spend more than 8 hours in the back seat of the Tundra ( seats don't recline )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your extremely cute girls are still a little young, but one of my road trip tactics when my boys were little was to withhold tv/videos/DVDs for a few days before the trip so they were even more ready to stare slack jawed at a screen for an extended period of time. 

Your extremely cute girls are still a little young, but one of my road trip tactics when my boys were little was to withhold tv/videos/DVDs for a few days before the trip so they were even more ready to stare slack jawed at a screen for an extended period of time. 

Meanie....

A roll of duct tape always worked for me......

Count me in!

Excellent! You should be as you helped a ton on making this happen!

Eagle's Roost is a nice stop.

We liked it, and will likely stay there next year, but will give the camping world a look on the other side of the interstate as well. My only gripe is its a little narrow in Eagles Roost.

Awesome! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

I'm in and with page one bragging rights.

Congrats, they are going fast!

Miss the road trip days, but I got such a deal on non-stop flights this trip that the fuel cost would have been more than flying. And my kids refuse to spend more than 8 hours in the back seat of the Tundra ( seats don't recline ) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying would be ideal, but I'd miss our camper.

I like Eagle's Roost as well. 

Did the kids sleep ok after chocolate shakes in the evening?  One of mine would have been bouncing off the walls.  The others would be fine with it. 

I blame you for us staying there. No that any part of it was bad, just needed to blame you for something early on :)

The girls were ok, they didn't get to have much of that shake. The 4 of us split it and I might have had more than my share of it.

I'm in!

Thanks for joining!

I'm in.  Nice looking rig. Always like reading about first trips.

Thanks!

I'm in.  Your daughters are adorable.  Glad to hear that they traveled well.

Looking forward to the rest of the report.

TCD

Welcome! You are not near as glad as we were. We really weren't sure what to expect but turned out well.

A first trip to the Fort trip report.

I'm in.  I'll have to compare notes afterwards.

Carry on......

Welcome, and will be carrying on shortly after I reply to a few more posts :)