and when we head back to the world next month, I want to eat out for lunch/dinner once a day.  I am not going to be too strict with myself, but I'm only 1/3 of the way through my weight loss so its important I don't slip up.  My DH has been watching what he eats as well.  I was wondeing if any of you have gone to a sit-down restaurant in the parks and asked to share an entree.  I am sure they'll do it, just wondering if anyone here has any experience.  I really need to watch my portions and this seems the best way to do it and still be slightly economical.

That is awesome to hear!  I was looking at some Disney food pictures of entrees and I forgot just how large the portions are.  On the plus side, there is no way I could eat one by myself now.  We used to dine at the Biergarten almost exclusively so you can imagine what our ortions were at an all-you-can-eat buffet (YIKES!).  And just to brag, my hubby has lost almost 50 himself just because I don't have crap in the house anymore, lol.

First, congratulations on your weight loss!

I don't know how you're dieting.  I've been a low carber for 12 years.  When I eat out at WDW I've found most all restaurants are willing to make changes for me -- like substitutions for poatoes or rice, berries for dessert, etc.

And yes, we often split entrees.

Katsura Grill in Epcot at Japan had great steamed veggies when we were there in May. It is sometimes hard to get a well balanced meal on vacation. I get it with a side of steamed rice but that might not work for some. My diet is low fat so I don't tend to watch carbs as closely.

Congratulations on the weight loss!  We too often share an entree and one nice thing about most of the buffets...is they have salad, fruit, chicken (I pull the skin off) and other healthy items offered. Key is to stay hydrated while at the parks, as that will really help.

Continued luck as you work towards your goal.  Good health really is everything...

There are various websites out there dedicated to "Eating out at WDW for _______ ", where you fill in the blank depending on your dietary needs.  For instance, vegan, low carb, Paleo, whatever.  Or if you simply are cutting calories and want to reduce the amount of fat, refined carbs, etc....you can research ahead of time and also speak to the restaurant when you arrive.  You do have the option in sit downs of splitting meals.  We do that often.  If you go to a buffet, you can speak to them when you arrive and they will have a chef guide you through the buffet options, or even prepare additional items for you if they can.  Disney is wonderful for people who for whatever reason are not on the SAD (Standard American Diet).  

Congratulations on your weight loss!

We've split entrees many times - even at some of the "Signature" restaurants. 

Portions at most WDW restaurants are hefty and we also enjoy trying different things, and don't want to feel stuffed when we're done. We'll often get one appetizer and one entree to split.  At the table service restaurants they've even split the entree for us and brought us each a plate.

At Narcoosees last fall we split a salad, app and entree. They split them all and brought us each our own plate and each portion was still PLENTY...

10858961293_c99882cd40_c.jpg

10858778184_7e7a01c0d3_c.jpg

10858958613_88edf7374f_b.jpg

Thank you! I am not on any 'diet' per se.  I just use myfitnesspal.com and count my calories. I lose steadily and haven't cut out anything. I am lucky because I don't have celiac disease and no other intolerances either with the sole exception of aspartame. 

Way to go! I have lost 150lbs and it was just making up my mind to change my eating habits and lifestyle. I now run every other day sometimes every day. Road bike a lot and just try to be more active. I used my fitness pal in the beginning. Lots of water and no soft drinks. It's as much mental as physical when losing weight. Set small realistic goals and meet them and then set another. I had a close call with what I thought was a heart attack and it made me get busy. 3 kids need me around for a while, I hope! Keep up the good work, keep us updated!

Way to go! I have lost 150lbs and it was just making up my mind to change my eating habits and lifestyle. I now run every other day sometimes every day. Road bike a lot and just try to be more active. I used my fitness pal in the beginning. Lots of water and no soft drinks. It's as much mental as physical when losing weight. Set small realistic goals and meet them and then set another. I had a close call with what I thought was a heart attack and it made me get busy. 3 kids need me around for a while, I hope! Keep up the good work, keep us updated!

WOW!!!! Congrats to you as well! 

My dad had to have the surgery due to underlying medical issues and had severe complications (he almost died and was in ICU for a week and NICU for another).  I decided i didn't care that my whole family is fluffy, I wasn't going to put myself in the position where the surgery was my only option. I had a few tumors and had to have a few surgeries making walking (especially around the World) virtually impossible.  I started with baby steps; walking the 1/4 mile to the mailbox instead of driving, riding our bikes on the beach, etc. and now we'll be walking in our first 5K in September.  It's not coming off fast really, I only changed my lifestyle in late March, but it's coming off and I should hit my ideal weight fall of next year.  I actually never disliked "good" food, I was just too lazy to cook.  I do love my trips to the world and we bring our own food for the most part (popcorn, sandwiches, water, etc.) but we do like to indulge eating out.  I just don't want to lose momentum or fool myself into thinking a week won't count.  It will for me so even though 'll be burning more walking, I don't want a 2000 calorie meal no matter how good it tastes, lol (BTW, if you spot me throwing holy water on Karamel Kuche while chanting and throwing up finger crosses, you'll understand :pope: )

... if you spot me throwing holy water on Karamel Kuche while chanting and throwing up finger crosses, you'll understand :pope: )

LOL!!

I brought a pedometer with me 2 years ago and it clocked in at 26 miles in the 2 weeks I wore it... and that was without really trying. As you probably already know, it's not hard at all to get a lot of walking in at WDW. 

It sounds like you've got the right attitude to balance out enjoying your vacation and keeping the momentum going on your lifestyle change.  Good luck!!  :)

It sounds like you are on the right track and doing well.  

I'm sorry that your dad had such a scary experience with his surgery.  I tried everything and my body needed the help to get going in the right direction.  I've lost 230 pounds thus far and never felt better.  

Nothing wrong with the surgical option, just don't want to put myself in the position of it being y only option.  I've had two major surgeries, and when i am under anesthesia, I stop breathing.  If there is any way I can avoid a major surgery, I'm all for it, lol.

It is very impressive that you are trying to get healthy. It is very difficult in today's society. I don't usually do all you can eat because I have no self control. My theory on special treats is get one to split now and come back later for another one. We usually get busy and forget the other one. I wish you well on your endeavors.