Rookie tent campers head back to the Fort - Third time's a charm?

We are going back to the Fort!  You may have read about my previous trip here in my trip report titled:  Pre and Trip Report: First time tent campers 8/17 - 8/19

If you are the kind of person who likes to watch people repeat mistakes over and over and laugh at them, you might want to go ahead and read that first.

After our first tent camping experience at Fort Wilderness in August of 2012 we went back again in August of 2013 but with less people (and less drama).  Our 2013 trip was me, my daughter who was 10 and my mother (I know, I know).  My mother rented a tent from Fort Wilderness.  It was kind of gross and moldy, but she knew this would be a onetime thing for her and she didn't want to buy a tent.    

Here a couple of pictures of that nasty thing:

IMG_20130809_161532_921_zps832362f0.jpg.

IMG_20130809_161706_915_zps07b34406.jpg

IMG_20130809_161633_440_zps0a9ce80f.jpg

Like I said, there was less drama this time, but it definitely wasn't as much fun.  I didn't bother writing a trip report about this, but here is a quick summary:  My mom didn't want to participate in any of the activities we did (swimming, fishing, going to the parks, smiling) so she mostly just demanded we drive her back and forth in the golf cart between the table she took over at the pool and our site so she could cook or clean.   We had lots of food, and a VERY clean site…The end. 

So now it is 2014 and we are feeling the camping bug again.  Actually we leave in a few days.  So coming up next is my actual pre trip report…

I'm in! 

If it's saying the extension isn't allowed, I have a guess... You're typing in Word and copying into this window. Right click and take the blue hyperlink off. Then you should be able to post pictures. 

Thank you!  That fixed it.

Yay!  I can see your photos.

So that's mold/mildew inside that tent?  Gross.  Shame on Disney.  That is one of the new model rental tents. They obviously took it down and stored it when it was wet.   They should not expect a guest to stay in that.  You should have called and asked for a new tent.

TCD

Yes, that was mildew...pretty gross.  Glad I wasn't sleeping in there.  I guess we just figured that was how they were, didn't even think to ask for a new one.  It did stay dry, but it didn't have very good ventilation.  For the price I felt like the few extra bucks it would have costed to buy a small tent would have made things more comfortable for her. 

Pre Trip

Well after I swore I would never go camping with friends again…I’m going camping with friends again.  Go ahead, laugh.

It didn’t start out that way.  Initially it was just going to be me, my daughter and my husband.  But my husband didn’t have such a great time on his first camping trip (ended up sleeping in the truck because he was cold) so he said he wasn’t going.  My daughter and I did a secret little happy dance because we knew it would be more relaxing without him…he is high maintenance. 

Then my daughter let it slip one day to her friend that we were going camping again.  Next thing I know I get a text from the mom asking if they can share the site.  Yes, these are the same people we brought with us the first time. 

The vegetarian.  Her 2 kids, one of which hit my daughter on the head with that plastic hammer thingy that you pound in the tent stakes with on our first day…sigh. 

But finances have been tight lately…so against my better judgment (and after she offered to pay for not only half of the site and half of the golf cart, but archery for all of the kids)…I said ok.  I can be bought.

This time there will be rules…and guidelines…and certain conditions that must be met this time.  First, she MUST buy a new tent, not the one she brought last time that was missing pieces and took 3 hours to put up and had to be tied to a tree so it would stand.  Second, she must set up all of her equipment beforehand to make sure it is all there and working and not broken.  Third, her son may NOT hit my daughter with a hammer.  Fourth, she must make a list and bring everything on it…no more forgetting the necessities.  Lastly, I will be taking pictures and posting them online this time, so if you don’t want your angels to be on the internet, keep them out of my shots!  Is any of this too much to ask?

Time goes by and my stepson calls, he is coming to visit…hooray!  Wait, he is coming while we are camping.  So I ask him, would you rather spend the time at home with your dad…or with the fun crowd (us) camping?!  He wants to camp. 

Well, my friend met the first condition I set forth and bought a new tent.  It is a Walmart version of the instant tent.  She even water-proofed it (I made her send me photographic proof).  So that means that my stepson is going to borrow her old broken tent…whoopee!  That’s ok because I am absolutely not going to forget my margaritas this time so all will be well. 

She also met my second condition and checked her equipment, which resulted in her meeting my fourth condition and the weird list below:

20140810_181306_zpsbf51a755.jpg

We will find out what happens with condition #3

Once I told my husband that his son was coming with us…he decided he would try to come too.  Oh boy…this is getting crowded.  He doesn’t get to see his son often so will compromise…he will come over after work for 1 night…it’s a big step for him.

So we went from 2 people to 7 in a matter of days.  The more the merrier?  I guess we’ll find out.  We are all packed up and ready to go (we leave on Thursday morning).  My friend is out shopping right now, hopefully she finds everything on her list (I think).