5, will be 6 in Jan. He's 48 inches, he loves thunder mountain. I'm just worried about not being next to him and having him in front or behind me (not sure what would be better?).

I kno how you feel my girl isn't quite tall enough yet but she will be 5 at the end of this month and she has ridden all of the 40" and under rides and loves them. But she is very tiny framed girl and I am a little worried about space also because I can't set beside her. But at 48" he is 4" past the height requirement so I would think he will be fine if he likes the other coasters. My girl rode TOT when she just turned 4 and loved it.

We had similar concerns with my youngest son who is autistic - more of a trusting he will stay seated then that he would be afraid, but his father found that he could actually touch his shoulders from behind - so although not seated side by side, the little guy was still aware of his close proximity.

Is it just a lap bar? I'm paranoid about letting Adam ride.

It is a lap bar, but it's shaped like a "T," and because of the seating configuration, it is adjusted to fit each rider.  To me, that makes it a more secure restraint than Big Thunder Mountain, where a child seated next to a larger person would mean the lap bar is not as tight for the child.

Space Mountain doesn't go upside down, or even have any sharp banks.  He'll be fine.

TCD

Like TCD said I would not worry about him being secured in the ride. However, The ride is almost entirely in the dark with loud noises and flashing lights. If you think he will be ok with the dark and noise he sould be fine. Personally,  I love BTMRR but am not a fan of Space M. I'm a really big guy (AKA fat) and it is hard for me to get in and out plus the ride is very jerky. 

Many many moons ago DW & I took our 6 year old nephew to WDW. We rode Space Mountain & he screamed his head off. DW was sitting in front of him & thought he was screaming from fright.  When the ride was over she thought she would find a boy scared out of his wits. Instead he was laughing. She asked him why he was screaming. He said isn't that what you're supposed to do on a scary ride?   :faceplant2:

I'm a really big guy (AKA fat) and it is hard for me to get in and out plus the ride is very jerky. 

Our son in law is 6' 7".  He rode SM and it really worried him.  Although he loves thrill rides, he was too tall for SM and was afraid he would be thrown out.

I recommend not riding Space Mountain at the same time as me if by some miracle I have been convinced to get on this thing again. I rode it once on my honeymoon and screamed "ohmygod,ohmygod,ohmygod, itMUSTbeoversoon" And repeat the entire time. 

First real rollercoaster since I rode a kiddie one around age 5 that fell off the track at a traveling carnival. Thought I'm a big boy. I got Married I can do this. Didn't know it was in the dark. Realized right before boarding. My stupid pride didnt let me back out of it after the 7 year old in front of me climbed in to his rocket. 

Had to find a corner and put my head between my knees for 15 minutes before I could do something else. 

Adams is a lot braver than I am though. He will be fine. 

It is a lap bar, but it's shaped like a "T," and because of the seating configuration, it is adjusted to fit each rider.  To me, that makes it a more secure restraint than Big Thunder Mountain, where a child seated next to a larger person would mean the lap bar is not as tight for the child.

Space Mountain doesn't go upside down, or even have any sharp banks.  He'll be fine.

TCD

This is a good point. I basically have to hold Z in when he rides BTMRR with me because the lap bar is resting on MY legs. 

TCD

This is a good point. I basically have to hold Z in when he rides BTMRR with me because the lap bar is resting on MY legs.

This is true but we ride 3 to a car on Big thunder so Miley never moves. She turned 5 and her first question when I told her was can I ride space mountain now. Love my Disney kid.