Have been truck shopping, its amazing to me how little most car sales people actually know about the vehicles they sell. So thought I'd ask yall for any tips, advice, or experiences you're willing to share.

we have a small tt (3600 dry) 5400 loaded, curently being towed by a 202 GMC Envoy with 120k miles on it, rated at 6500lbs. Unfortunately the Envoy has taken a turn for the worse, so looking to upgrade to a truck. Now comes the hard part, finding a truck the will last and give us room to upgrade to a larger trailer in the future but still be a decent everday vehicle.

What I'm looking for in a truck is something that will give us room to upgrade to a midsize travel trailer (with a slide or 2) and would be able to load the golf cart in the bed. We spoke to a gentleman at the Fort this past weeked with a 6.5 foot bed that was loading his cart in it and explained about tieing the tailgate up so it clears the tanks and jack. We have a standard 4 passenger club car. Oh and we need to have 4 doors/room for 4 adults and a dog. Dont need all the bells and whistles, though would likea bbackup camera. This will be a long term purchase.

So 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, what are some things I should look for or ask about? Anyone in Florida know of any dealers with good deals going on now?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With wanting to haul a golf cart in the bed of the truck while pulling a camper due to payload capacity. I would get a single rear wheel 1 ton. I would not even look at a half ton. A 3/4 ton could work but is no cheaper then the 1 ton. With a single rear wheel 1 ton you would be able to upgrade to most bigger campers while still hauling your cart and family in the truck.

Also I bought my 2012 f350 new and have nothing but good to say about it. Pulls my 10,000 pound camper like its not back there. I also bring a golf cart in the bed of my truck plus one in the toy hauler. Mine is a 4x4 crew cab diesel with the 3:55 rear end. I get 14 to 15 mpg around town 18 for a average running 75mph. And 10 mpg pulling the camper at 70 mph.

I agree with Lone-Star. The first limit you'll bump up against is the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or essentially what the truck is rated to "carry". This number includes the weight of the truck, all passengers, the dog, the golf cart, the hitch, anything else you add onto the truck (bed cover, running boards, spray-in liner, all that jazz), AND the tongue weight of your camper (usually about 13% of the total camper weight). As you can imagine, that number adds up pretty quick.

1/2-ton trucks run anywhere from 1,100 pounds to 2,800 pounds (at both extremes with most falling at or under 2,000 pounds). There is a sticker on the doorjamb telling you what that specific truck's ratings are. It is a sticker called the "tire loading capacity" and is worded such as "the weight of occupants and cargo must not exceed XX lbs." (Note, the 150 pound driver is NOT included in this number like "tow ratings" have.)

Most 3/4-ton trucks have a bit more, but you get a healthy jump when you go up to a 1-ton truck.

I don't know much/anything about golf carts, but is guess it is safe to assume they're anywhere from 500-1,200 pounds. Figure the average adult is 180 lbs. and who knows how much your dog weighs. :)

Now, one argument against 1-ton trucks is that they don't ride as nice as smaller trucks. Personally, we don't mind our 1-ton 4x4 dually. I don't think you need that much truck, but it definitely means you won't run out of payload until the biggest of campers (I have 4,000+ pounds of cargo carrying capacity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Lone-Star. The first limit you'll bump up against is the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or essentially what the truck is rated to "carry". This number includes the weight of the truck, all passengers, the dog, the golf cart, the hitch, anything else you add onto the truck (bed cover, running boards, spray-in liner, all that jazz), AND the tongue weight of your camper (usually about 13% of the total camper weight). As you can imagine, that number adds up pretty quick.

1/2-ton trucks run anywhere from 1,100 pounds to 2,800 pounds (at both extremes with most falling at or under 2,000 pounds). There is a sticker on the doorjamb telling you what that specific truck's ratings are. It is a sticker called the "tire loading capacity" and is worded such as "the weight of occupants and cargo must not exceed XX lbs." (Note, the 150 pound driver is NOT included in this number like "tow ratings" have.)

Most 3/4-ton trucks have a bit more, but you get a healthy jump when you go up to a 1-ton truck.

I don't know much/anything about golf carts, but is guess it is safe to assume they're anywhere from 500-1,200 pounds. Figure the average adult is 180 lbs. and who knows how much your dog weighs. :)

Now, one argument against 1-ton trucks is that they don't ride as nice as smaller trucks. Personally, we don't mind our 1-ton 4x4 dually. I don't think you need that much truck, but it definitely means you won't run out of payload until the biggest of campers (I have 4,000+ pounds of cargo carrying capacity).

My payload capacity is 3190 lb's but mine is a single rear wheel. The hitch weight of my camper is 1,200lb's gas golf cart is 800lb 400 lbs of people and I figure another 200lbs of junk. So about 2600lbs for me so I am with in the truck limits. But a half ton would never work for me and I would be pushing it with a 3/4 ton. If I was not hauling a cart a 3/4 would work fine. And if the cart is electric it's about 1200lbs.

I agree with Lone Star.  Payload capacity is your friend.  And that's one thing most people trip up on because the manufacturers talk so much about towing capacity and they use it as a marketing tool against each other, that your average consumer thinks that's all that matters.  But even though a lot of half ton trucks can tow 9000-10,000 pounds these days, the tongue weight of a trailer that heavy will overload the truck especially when you throw in a family and their crap.  Since you would like to pull a trailer plus put a cart in the bed, you'll be happy with a 3/4 or 1 ton....1 ton giving you the most options. 

Now I have no experience with putting a cart in a truck bed but many on here do.  I am wondering what length bed would be ideal for towing with a cart in back?  I know there was a thread on here about tailgate down or removed with the cart in back.

I totally agree with everything said here, but it all depends on your budget. A new 3/4 - 1 ton truck with a crew cab can set you back anywhere from mid 50s to over 100k. And if your going to go to that size of truck you would be absolutely stupid to get a gas engine over a Diesel. With used for the similar truck over a 2010 in good shape and decent miles will still run you in the 30s. But, you may be the person who does not mind driving a late 90s or early 2000 and could care less about high miles, a decent price truck may exist.

I totally agree with everything said here, but it all depends on your budget. A new 3/4 - 1 ton truck with a crew cab can set you back anywhere from mid 50s to over 100k. And if your going to go to that size of truck you would be absolutely stupid to get a gas engine over a Diesel. With used for the similar truck over a 2010 in good shape and decent miles will still run you in the 30s. But, you may be the person who does not mind driving a late 90s or early 2000 and could care less about high miles, a decent price truck may exist.

I don't disagree that budget constraints are a real decision. But, given the weight being carried- a 1/2-ton is going to be grossly overloaded. Then you're looking at 3/4- vs. 1-ton trucks and the price differential is going to marginal. The payload differences between them, though, is usually significant.

Lone-star, thanks for giving real weight numbers. I was mostly guessing- it's nice reading that I wasn't too far off. :)

Thank you all for the quick replies. I guess that it will all come down to price though Im leaning toward the 3/4 or 1 ton now. Heading out to look at a new 3/4 gmc they have on sale near here today. As this is going to be a long term vehicle I'm kinda nervous of getting a usedtruck with higher miles, and the used with lower miles seem to be very close in price if not more then some of the 2014s they are trying to get rid of around here.

I got an '11 F250 (little brother to Lone Stars F350 :) ). I agree with everything said. 1ton has more structural beef but a bit rougher ride. I am a vacation Rv'er only, so the majority of time, my truck is just a commuter. Thus, slightly less stiff ride won out in my case. You can't go wrong with 3/4 or 1 ton. I also agree that diesel is the only way to go. Based on feedback from a lot smarter folks than me, I can expect the truck to give out before the power plant. Plus, on my out of town trip,last weekend, my gas buddy app calc'd that I was just shy of 22 mpg. Freakin awesome. I got the 6.5 foot bed as well. The only reason I entertained the longer bed, was that it was the only way to get a larger factory installed gas tank.

Sticker (although I didn't pay this) was just shy of 60k. I hope it to be that last truck I ever have to buy

I got an '11 F250 (little brother to Lone Stars F350 :) ). I agree with everything said. 1ton has more structural beef but a bit rougher ride. I am a vacation Rv'er only, so the majority of time, my truck is just a commuter. Thus, slightly less stiff ride won out in my case. You can't go wrong with 3/4 or 1 ton. I also agree that diesel is the only way to go. Based on feedback from a lot smarter folks than me, I can expect the truck to give out before the power plant. Plus, on my out of town trip,last weekend, my gas buddy app calc'd that I was just shy of 22 mpg. Freakin awesome. I got the 6.5 foot bed as well. The only reason I entertained the longer bed, was that it was the only way to get a larger factory installed gas tank.

Sticker (although I didn't pay this) was just shy of 60k. I hope it to be that last truck I ever have to buy

One of the big reasons I won't get a short bed is the 10 gallon smaller tank. Other wise I would have got the f350 short bed.

I tow a 20'ft ultralight with a 2013 Expedition.  This will be the last tow vehicle we have that is not at a minimum a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.  Before that we had a F150 towing a Jayco 29BHS.  It did the job and the EcoBoost had plenty of power but it was never as stable as I wanted.  With this trailer and the Expedition we use LT tires on the Exp and a Hensley Cub for the hitch.  This combination makes it a breeze to tow although the V8 screams a bit.

You can never have to much truck and if you think you will upgrade the trailer down the road get the most truck you can afford IMHO.  Swapping vehicles get's expensive :/

I have to say, I have never seen a bigger idiot than the guy I saw in the hitch up area at the fort the other day when I was coming in. He had a 1/2 ton truck (I forget the make since it didn't matter) with a golf cart in the back (6 ft bed) and about 26 ft camper hitched up to it. He had 4 inch blocks under the rear tires of the cart to clear the tongue jack. He didn't need power steering since the back of the truck was no more than 10 inches off the asphalt and the front end was high in the air. This is the kind of guy you don't want to be anywhere near on the road doing 45 let alone 60 or 65mph.

I have a 3/4 ton GMC and I been carrying my cart with the tailgate removed and I tow a 33 ft trailer. Before I even thought of putting the cart in the truck I installed air bags to level the truck and to tweek the hight to ajust the trailer tongue if needed.

The thing that drives me nuts is that a 1/2 truck may be able to tow the trailer the brakes on a 1/2 ton are not much more than your car has. Even with the trailer brakes I wouldn't want to have to panic stop with them and 7000 lbs behind me.

I have to say, I have never seen a bigger idiot than the guy I saw in the hitch up area at the fort the other day when I was coming in. He had a 1/2 ton truck (I forget the make since it didn't matter) with a golf cart in the back (6 ft bed) and about 26 ft camper hitched up to it. He had 4 inch blocks under the rear tires of the cart to clear the tongue jack. He didn't need power steering since the back of the truck was no more than 10 inches off the asphalt and the front end was high in the air. This is the kind of guy you don't want to be anywhere near on the road doing 45 let alone 60 or 65mph.

I have a 3/4 ton GMC and I been carrying my cart with the tailgate removed and I tow a 33 ft trailer. Before I even thought of putting the cart in the truck I installed air bags to level the truck and to tweek the hight to ajust the trailer tongue if needed.

The thing that drives me nuts is that a 1/2 truck may be able to tow the trailer the brakes on a 1/2 ton are not much more than your car has. Even with the trailer brakes I wouldn't want to have to panic stop with them and 7000 lbs behind me.

I'm mainly curious why someone pulling a TT would be in the unhitch area.  

Did he see the sign and think he was supposed to unhitch his trailer there and Disney's white-glove delivery service would put it in his site?  

?... I installed air bags to level the truck and to tweek the hight to ajust the trailer tongue if needed.

I did the same thing. Firestone puts out a product that I installed with simple tools in the garage. Money well spent!

I'm mainly curious why someone pulling a TT would be in the unhitch area.  

Did he see the sign and think he was supposed to unhitch his trailer there and Disney's white-glove delivery service would put it in his site?  

This is what you got out of all my typing? Did you notice I said Hitch UP area? He and his wife (I am presuming it was his wife here) were struggling to get the bars hooked up. When I come in I always pull into the UNhitch area and take my bars off, makes for less noise when I back in. Since you have the same hitch I do, you know what I mean. The line Sunday checking out was well past the 4 way stop.

Going back to the original topic.

I just got done truck shopping, I had been looking for the last 4 or 5 months for a 3/4 ton GMC diesel but I was being picky. I wanted low miles, only a few years old and a nicer interior for a low price.

I test drove lots of trucks for days at a time and wasn't finding what I wanted, so I started looking at new trucks but ultimately backed away because of the price. Then one day a dealer I had been working with found a fully loaded 2013 GMC SLT with 25,000 miles, it was a great price but it was a gas. I went back and forth over this truck, my previous truck was a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas in it and I had no problems at all. My grandfather has had a fifth wheel or TT for the last 50 plus years and always had a gas engine in his trucks with no problems. On the other hand I really wanted a diesel because I've driven tons of them all over the country pulling horses, on farms and more recently borrowed my parents to tow my fifth wheel so I know how well they pull.

Realistically speaking though my Fiver only ways 7200lbs empty and with the diesel engine costing about $8,000 more and diesel costing $0.50 more per gallon I honestly couldn't make the numbers work to justify the additional cost for a diesel. Also its worth noting that the maintenance on a diesel cost more, ie oil changes, and that stupid DEF they have now.

Now is a Duramax Diesel fun to drive and does it make towing a breeze, heck yes, and if I had the extra money I would be driving one, but for the amount of towing and driving I do the gas engine was the way to go for me.

Just some food for thought.

WBI

I forgot to add, everyone in those diesel forums likes to talk about how great of mileage their diesel gets, but I've never met anyone in the real word who got anything close to what people post online(like 20mpg). The same goes for all the trucks I test drove and my parent's current duramax. Yes it's better than a gas but only by 1 or 2 mpg in my experience.

One of the big reasons I won't get a short bed is the 10 gallon smaller tank. Other wise I would have got the f350 short bed.

I know this doesn't apply since you have a Ford but I just filled up my new used GMC truck and I was surprised to find it had the larger tank even though it has the short bed. 30 gallons is much better than 20.

WBI