A lot of you guys probably remember the old Fort Wilderness RR...being both a Disney writer and obsessive Disney fan as well as a Fort Fiend whose favorite place in all WDW is the Fort with my family, I really get into the Fort's history. I've been writing a series of articles about the Fort on MousePlanet.com for a couple of months, my latest came out today all about the old Railroad that ran thru the campground. You can find it here if you'd like to read it:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10835/Loving_the_Great_Outdoors_the_Disney_Way__Fort_Wilderness_Resort_Part_IV

If you like it, leave me a note or comment in the articles comment section, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

-Rod Wheaton

Thanks! I was14 when it closed, but I remember riding it with my mom and dad, it was awesome! I wish it had been brought back...when I come in2 weeks I plan to hunt and photo what's left. If you've heard of Jim Korkis, he and I are going to record a show for my podcast live from Fort Wilderness on Tuesday, Nov 4th all about the RR.

Hope you have a great day at the Fort!! We'll be around the campsite in the morning that day, if you see Fiend signs say hello!

I definitely will!,

Went back and read all your Fort articles.

I  fondly remember the train and other things that have vanished over the years.

The old pick up truck that used to visit the loops in the morning selling supplies you would need for breakfast.. Used to have a chugging sound recording and when he stopped he would ring one of those triangle bells.  I'm sure it vanished because it was waking up people.

The peacocks

Trams

Marshmallow Marsh excursion

More trees between sites

Full delis at the Meadow and Settlement stores.  You could get a fresh sandwich made while you waited, a drink, then walk to the beach and have lunch.

Much more foodstuff at the Meadow Store, and it was only slighly higher priced than an off site grocery store.  You could actually afford to buy drinks there and not have to re-mortgage your home.

You used to swim in the lake, there was no Meadow swimming pool.

Discovery Island

Paddleboats and those ridiculous 3 wheeled water trikes.  Hated both of them, but always took the kids out.

Petting Zoo.

Trashcans that looked like tree stumps

I'm sure others will chime in on things that I'm forgetting.

Went back and read all your Fort articles.

I  fondly remember the train and other things that have vanished over the years.

The old pick up truck that used to visit the loops in the morning selling supplies you would need for breakfast.. Used to have a chugging sound recording and when he stopped he would ring one of those triangle bells.  I'm sure it vanished because it was waking up people.

The peacocks

Trams

Marshmallow Marsh excursion

More trees between sites

Full delis at the Meadow and Settlement stores.  You could get a fresh sandwich made while you waited, a drink, then walk to the beach and have lunch.

Much more foodstuff at the Meadow Store, and it was only slighly higher priced than an off site grocery store.  You could actually afford to buy drinks there and not have to re-mortgage your home.

You used to swim in the lake, there was no Meadow swimming pool.

Discovery Island

Paddleboats and those ridiculous 3 wheeled water trikes.  Hated both of them, but always took the kids out.

Petting Zoo.

Trashcans that looked like tree stumps

I'm sure others will chime in on things that I'm forgetting.

Mark- you must have missed the Official Fort Wilderness List of Missing Magic:

I miss the peacocks, too.

Time to revise the Official Fort Wilderness List of Missing Magic:

1. Wilderness (meaning the trees and brush that provided privacy in the camping loops)

2. Swimming beach at Bay Lake

3. Musket Mickey

4. Fort Wilderness Railroad

5. The giant log slice at the entrance

6. Discovery Island

7. Wilderness Swamp Trail

8. Marshmallow Marsh.

9. Trams

10. River Country Wagon

11. Cannons

12. Covered wagons and other unique theming at the playgrounds (e.g. the tee-pees at the 300 loop playground).

13. River Country

14. American Flags

15. Totem Poles

16. Hammocks on the Beach

17. The tower on top of Pioneer Hall and the American flag on top of it.

18. Surrey rentals at the Bike Barn.

19. A reasonably priced family breakfast show

20. The petting zoo

21. Real log benches.

22. The old fashioned food delivery truck.

23. The Ice Cream Wagon

24. The Lawnmower Tree

25. The Double Feature movies at the campfire.

26. The peacocks

TCD

You have some items that need to be added to that list.

You can find it here: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13386-a-couple-old-pics-from-the-fort/page-9#entry402321

TCD

Rod-

Good article.

A couple of corrections-  First, there are no diesel busses growling their way around Fort Wilderness.  The buses are gas, not diesel, and have been for as long as I can remember, around 20 years of so.

Second, that photo of the Settlement Depot isn't right.  Look at the video posted here :http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13386-a-couple-old-pics-from-the-fort/?p=403164

The photo you refer to as the Settlement Depot has the tracks on the other side of the building, parallel to the road.  I'm not sure where that photo was taken, but it doesn't appear to be the Settlement Depot.

TCD

Fixed that for you....

No....please tell me!!

Rod-

Good article.

A couple of corrections-  First, there are no diesel busses growling their way around Fort Wilderness.  The buses are gas, not diesel, and have been for as long as I can remember, around 20 years of so.

TCD

Sorry TCD, all the buses are diesel. Nobody makes a rear engine gas chassis.

Rod-

Good article.

Second, that photo of the Settlement Depot isn't right.  Look at the video posted here :http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13386-a-couple-old-pics-from-the-fort/?p=403164

The photo you refer to as the Settlement Depot has the tracks on the other side of the building, parallel to the road.  I'm not sure where that photo was taken, but it doesn't appear to be the Settlement Depot.

Great catch on the buses! .....I guess from driving my own diesel pulling the 5th wheel and and all the other folks doing the same, I was thinking in diesel terms for the buses, too. I'll have to fix that in the article. Those buses are still loud, tho, if you're camped right on the route! About the pic, it came from a recent friend I've made, David Leaphart, who literally wrote the book on the FWRR, it is from the collection of photos from a cast member who worked the RR. He says that's the depot, I'll check with him tho. Thanks for writing!

TCD

Rod-

Good article.

Great catch on the buses! .....I guess from driving my own diesel pulling the 5th wheel and and all the other folks doing the same, I was thinking in diesel terms for the buses, too. I'll have to fix that in the article. Those buses are still loud, tho, if you're camped right on the route! About the pic, it came from a recent friend I've made, David Leaphart, who literally wrote the book on the FWRR, it is from the collection of photos from a cast member who worked the RR. He says that's the depot, I'll check with him tho. Thanks for writing!

TCD

Mark- you must have missed the Official Fort Wilderness List of Missing Magic: You have some items that need to be added to that list.You can find it here: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13386-a-couple-old-pics-from-the-fort/page-9#entry402321TCD

This is an awesome list! I had forgotten several of these...like the peacocks! I LOVED having them around! And those tree stump trash cans...I hear they were repurposed from Disneyland frontierland. I need to write an article on all these lost and gone things...I think my favorite was going on the marshmallow marsh with my mom and dad and my bro and sister. And if you had a fun guide, they would race the other canoe! Anyone remember that?

This is an awesome list! I had forgotten several of these...like the peacocks! I LOVED having them around! And those tree stump trash cans...I hear they were repurposed from Disneyland frontierland. I need to write an article on all these lost and gone things...I think my favorite was going on the marshmallow marsh with my mom and dad and my bro and sister. And if you had a fun guide, they would race the other canoe! Anyone remember that?

Oh yeah, we raced the other war canoe out and back. Then had the Q and A out on the lakeside. It was a magical trip for sure. It's too bad things have changed so much.

Rod-

Good article.

TCD

Just cause I'm curious.....where on earth did you get the idea that the buses weren't diesel?

• 3 weeks later...

This site is great! It has truly been a treasure trove and the more I read the more dots get connected. Thanks to tiggerinbama for recruiting me.

I've taken an interest in the FWRR and have seen several of the more obvious remnants over the past few trips to the Fort. I hopped on here tonight to do some research to prepare for next month where I hope to break away from my wife and 4 yr old long enough to do some bushwhacking to further investigation the route.... Maybe even find a cool artifact or two. My wife thinks I am nuts but that's OK. The old map is very helpful (thanks to those who shared it). I intend to jump over to amazon to check out the book.

I've read in other threads here about "finding the Lou" while hitching bus rides. I told my wife about this past time during our trip last month and she laughed. While reading some RR related posts on here referencing a cranky bus driver I correctly inferred they were talking about "the Lou." More dots have been connected! One day if I'm fortunate enough to stumble upon and meet "the Lou" it would make my wife and I smile. Until then I'll (hopefully) be the one sniffing around the "wilderness" this December checking out some history.

Thanks to tiggerinbama for recruiting me.

Referral check is on it's way to Kelly.

Maybe even find a cool artifact or two.

If you don't, do you know about the FWRR spiking custom for Fiends?

I've read in other threads here about "finding the Lou" while hitching bus rides.

Unless you're riding the CM bus at Epcot, you want find me on a bus, not that you would when I was driving a bus.

One day if I'm UNfortunate enough to stumble upon and meet "the Lou" it would make my wife and I smile.

Fixed it.

Post your site number and Fort days so you don't have to stumble.