I would say it all depends on the day and the ranger. I have seen lots of people with tents staked out off of the concrete in premium sites, many even way back off of the pads.

We tend to stay in the 500 loop 528-540 on the outside of the circle and I have noticed a lot of those sites have areas "cleared for tents" some close some way back by the canal.

Since it is my mission in life to have a photo of everything that can be photographed at the Fort, here are a couple of photos from the TCD archives which illustrate what Derek said above;

Here's a tent set up way behind a site on the 500 loop.  How far back is it?  You can barely see the actual site there to right of the photo:

207_zps3891f3e2.jpg

Note they parked their trailer back there for good measure.

And, here's another one from another trip.  This one is set up behind a site on the 1400 loop, next to the beautiful emerald green canal:

RoyalFamily5K2013487_zpseede6d0b.jpg

Like I said- you can put a tent wherever you want.

But, keep your tires on the pavement.  All four of them.

TCD

Since it is my mission in life to have a photo of everything that can be photographed at the Fort, here are a couple of photos from the TCD archives which illustrate what Derek said above;

Here's a tent set up way behind a site on the 500 loop.  How far back is it?  You can barely see the actual site there to right of the photo:

207_zps3891f3e2.jpg

Note they parked their trailer back there for good measure.

And, here's another one from another trip.  This one is set up behind a site on the 1400 loop, next to the beautiful emerald green canal:

RoyalFamily5K2013487_zpseede6d0b.jpg

Like I said- you can put a tent wherever you want.

But, keep your tires on the pavement.  All four of them.

TCD

Thats what you call primitive camping right?

Go big or go home.

They're more likely to pick on you for having one wheel of your car off of the pavement on your site than they are if you set up a hobo camp out back.

TCD

Haha... that's funny.  Funny/sad, but true.  I don't think you'll have a problem with your tent.

I just remembered this gem.

If you go to the official WDW Fort Wilderness website, which you can find here:  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/

This is the very first photo you'll see:

newfortphoto.jpg

That tent isn't on a site.

TCD

That picture right there is what I call a CYA (cover yo' arse). Print it out in wallet size and whip it out for any over zealous ranger dude. C:-) C:-) C:-)

Am I going to get shouted at by Fort Rangers if I place my tent on the ground area (if possible) as opposed to the concrete area?  I am in a premium and if given the opportunity, I would prefer to place the tent on the ground.  Just curious.

Ahh, the age old question of where does a site actual end? Is it just the area that is paved or has coquina on it, or does it include any of the surrounding ground?

What I would do is put the tent wherever you want it and let the wannabe Barney Fife tell you to move it because as you've read and seen visual proof, people put tents anywhere and everywhere they want without any repercussions.

However, if you're curious and want to know what the policy actually is, which is yet another policy that is probably selectively enforced, is that you can have an RV but no tent. Its from the Fort's info pages on the internal website, "The Hub".

I don't see where it says that you can't put a tent on the ground around the site, just that you can't put it on the site itself, which you don't want to do anyway.

Just do it. If you're harassed by Barney, tell them you're a friend of Jose Mola, the GM, or as his friends call him Joey, and that he said it's ok.

Sites_zps80a561ce.jpg

Ahh, the age old question of where does a site actual end? Is it just the area that is paved or has coquina on it, or does it include any of the surrounding ground?

What I would do is put the tent wherever you want it and let the wannabe Barney Fife tell you to move it because as you've read and seen visual proof, people put tents anywhere and everywhere they want without any repercussions.

However, if you're curious and want to know what the policy actually is, which is yet another policy that is probably selectively enforced, is that you can have an RV but no tent. Its from the Fort's info pages on the internal website, "The Hub".

I don't see where it says that you can't put a tent on the ground around the site, just that you can't put it on the site itself, which you don't want to do anyway.

Just do it. If you're harassed by Barney, tell them you're a friend of Jose Mola, the GM, or as his friends call him Joey, and that he said it's ok.

Sites_zps80a561ce.jpg

And it still shows Tents ok on the TA side of things for Premium sites. 

• Most big-rigs
  • Motor Home
  • Motor Home with Additional Tents
  • 5th Wheel
  • 5th Wheel with Additional Tents
  • Travel Trailer
  • Travel Trailer with Additional Tents
  • Truck/Van Camper
  • Truck/Van Camper with Additional Tents
  • Pop Up Camper
  • Pop Up Camper with Additional Tents

I wonder if that info on the Hub has changed fairly recently?

It would explain some recent reports of people being told by CRO that they can't put a tent on a premium site at all - even without an RV.

The information until recently (even officially on the website and when booking) has always been RV + tent can go on full, preferred or premium.

I really thought that all sites were 1 RV + 1 Tent.  In fact, I was arguing with trying to fit that one extra human into our cramped little space so we could have a food tent outside.  Ugh, so what would be the appropriate etiquette among campers?  I don't want to be one of "those" people as my daughter says.

I really thought that all sites were 1 RV + 1 Tent.  In fact, I was arguing with trying to fit that one extra human into our cramped little space so we could have a food tent outside.  Ugh, so what would be the appropriate etiquette among campers?  I don't want to be one of "those" people as my daughter says.

For my $.02 (no real cash value)...I think if you are placing your tent in a way that is not encroaching on other sites, you are all good...sans Lou's buddy Barney Fife stopping buy. There is plenty of evidence around that suggests Tents are a-ok on premium sites.

If by food tent you are talking about a screen room/easy up canopy type thing from what I understand and have seen those don't count as tents. I have seen sites with multiples of those along with an rv and a sleeping tent.

And it still shows Tents ok on the TA side of things for Premium sites. 

The TA, MDE, and the HUB don't always agree.

I wonder if that info on the Hub has changed fairly recently?

It was asked on Voldy not that long ago and Rusty Scupper said it had changed. As he works in the Front Office, he should know.

I looked it up then and there it was.

I don't want to be one of "those" people as my daughter says.

Hey, Miss Missy, didn't you read what I said, just do it. Don't make me deflate your inflatables.

For my $.02 (no real cash value)...I think if you are placing your tent in a way that is not encroaching on other sites, you are all good...sans Lou's buddy Barney Fife stopping buy. There is plenty of evidence around that suggests Tents are a-ok on premium sites.

Agreed.  It's done all the time and it's been S.O.P. for ages.  In fact it seems the only place it's changed is on the Hub.  At least so far.

If by food tent you are talking about a screen room/easy up canopy type thing from what I understand and have seen those don't count as tents. I have seen sites with multiples of those along with an rv and a sleeping tent.

Food tents/canopies have never counted as a "camping unit"

SERIOUSLY?!?! They were allowed to get away with that. 

I've seen all that and then some on the 300 loop too.