Well, last night I went to to book our spring break trip for the middle of March and low and behold the fort was booked. Luckily I was flexible with a few dates and I got it. For giggles I went to book our annual thanksgiving trip for 2015 and everything is booked WTF ? I even called reservations and played with dates and nothing for a premium at all and sporadic tent and full sites. Crap like this will provoke me to sell the RV and hotel it. I also wanted to do 2 quick weekend trips over MLK and Presidents' Day when the kids are out of school and also no luck. Some people can not plan vacations that far out. I know there are other tricks to cancel days to get what you want. I know it's not Disneys fault, it's just disappointing

Well, last night I went to to book our spring break trip for the middle of March and low and behold the fort was booked. Luckily I was flexible with a few dates and I got it. For giggles I went to book our annual thanksgiving trip for 2015 and everything is booked WTF ? I even called reservations and played with dates and nothing for a premium at all and sporadic tent and full sites. Crap like this will provoke me to sell the RV and hotel it. I also wanted to do 2 quick weekend trips over MLK and Presidents' Day when the kids are out of school and also no luck. Some people can not plan vacations that far out. I know there are other tricks to cancel days to get what you want. I know it's not Disneys fault, it's just disappointing

It is so Disney's fault.

They have their reservation system set up so it blocks out certain nights at the Fort during holiday weekends.

And they let travel agents book ghost reservations during holidays, which subsequently will be dumped closer to the holiday date.

You and I both know that there's no way that they're already 100% booked for next Thanksgiving.  For whatever reason, they're blocking out sites and not letting guests reserve them.  They've been doing it for years, and it obviously works for them, so don't expect it to change.

TCD

I guess your right. I knew they held sites but to block all over a year out? BS. I know same goes for dining reservations. I woke up early on the 6 month mark to make thanksgiving reservations and most were unavailable. That's magic huh? I'll keep trying to see what opens up or worse case scenario I'll call a TA.....or maybe go someplace different and deposit my money elsewhere

I'm with you.  I am still holding out to complete a reservation this year for Thanksgiving.  I have the first part of the week but have pretty much lost hope that I can get any extra days.  A lot of that is my fault but it is really ruining the magic for me going forward.   I keep trying to get our family camping again and keep coming up with blanks.  I went to drain the trailer last night since we hadn't used it since May.  It is more of a pain to keep it when I can't even go to the Fort.

I'm with you.  I am still holding out to complete a reservation this year for Thanksgiving.  I have the first part of the week but have pretty much lost hope that I can get any extra days.  A lot of that is my fault but it is really ruining the magic for me going forward.   I keep trying to get our family camping again and keep coming up with blanks.  I went to drain the trailer last night since we hadn't used it since May.  It is more of a pain to keep it when I can't even go to the Fort.

I'll bet that a travel agent will be able to get you a Thanksgiving reservation.

Mine has told me she thinks that they will release the Thanksgiving hold on sites this week.  A travel agent could pounce on those for you.

TCD

I guess your right. I knew they held sites but to block all over a year out? BS. I know same goes for dining reservations. I woke up early on the 6 month mark to make thanksgiving reservations and most were unavailable. That's magic huh? I'll keep trying to see what opens up or worse case scenario I'll call a TA.....or maybe go someplace different and deposit my money elsewhere

I know I sound like a broken record and someone set in their ways, but I liked the old, old fashioned way of doing things.

I remember having to call in reservations, I don't think you could book that far in advance.

I remember walking up to the ticket window at the Fort and getting HDDR seats for that night without any problems, and getting the Luau the next night.

I remember everyone waiting in line for a ride/attraction.  And you didn't complain because everyone was in the same boat.

I also remember 25 cent gas, $1.25 a gallon milk, and beef prices you could afford!

I'll bet that a travel agent will be able to get you a Thanksgiving reservation.

Mine has told me she thinks that they will release the Thanksgiving hold on sites this week.  A travel agent could pounce on those for you.

TCD

Jason is on the case!  Crossing my fingers as we will probably not come down unless we get the rest.

Hoping to see you if we do.

There is also the "problem" that I like when I have a reservation and don't like when I'm trying to get one  -- if you are doing a "room" only reservation you can cancel any time up to just 5 days before and get your whole deposit back. 

For those in the know, the policy is actually even more generous than that.

You can modify (instead of cancelling) any existing reservation at any time, even right up to the check in day, and not pay any penalty.  You just move the check-in day to a future date. Also, even after you arrive at the Fort, you can drop days from the end of your reservation with no penalty.  These policies create no incentive for guests to drop days they may not be planning to use ahead of time.

I understand that there are travel agents who make multiple holiday reservations, and modify them at the very last minute with no penalty.  The site goes unused, and Disney is out that money.

I also suspect that the losers who make "throw away" campsite reservations exploit this, to the detriment of those who truly want to stay at the Fort.

This year, Grumpy reported about how many empty sites there were leading up to Halloween.  That is not normal.  It could be the result of people gaming the system.

TCD

Guess some peoples earnings have bounced back.

There's a new RV dealer off I-4 not too far from Camping World.

It didn't take them long to get it built once they got the land cleared.

I agree with you. New RV dealers are popping up all over and there has been more advertising to take the family camping which is great. Disney is just greedy in my opinion. I understand TA need some flexibility but with more people camping and realizing how awesome it is to camp at the fort, it's actually makes by things more difficult. It took me a long time to convince my wife to camp and she is now (and me too) spoiled by the fort. It's actually the only we place camp. We have a 31ft toy hauler TT that works out great at the fort but not so much for last minute weekend trips. As most of you know bigger is not always better. I think after this thanksgiving the toy hauler is going up for sale in place of a pop up. I can't justify camping at the fort twice a year and $150 a month storage with a $40k investment sitting 330 days a year

For those in the know, the policy is actually even more generous than that.

You can modify (instead of cancelling) any existing reservation at any time, even right up to the check in day, and not pay any penalty.  You just move the check-in day to a future date. Also, even after you arrive at the Fort, you can drop days from the end of your reservation with no penalty.  These policies create no incentive for guests to drop days they may not be planning to use ahead of time.

I understand that there are travel agents who make multiple holiday reservations, and modify them at the very last minute with no penalty.  The site goes unused, and Disney is out that money.

I also suspect that the losers who make "throw away" campsite reservations exploit this, to the detriment of those who truly want to stay at the Fort.

This year, Grumpy reported about how many empty sites there were leading up to Halloween.  That is not normal.  It could be the result of people gaming the system.

TCD

So I can book 2 weeks at the fort online then call the next day and eliminate the first 7 days and I should have what I want?

I agree with you. New RV dealers are popping up all over and there has been more advertising to take the family camping which is great. Disney is just greedy in my opinion. I understand TA need some flexibility but with more people camping and realizing how awesome it is to camp at the fort, it's actually makes by things more difficult. It took me a long time to convince my wife to camp and she is now (and me too) spoiled by the fort. It's actually the only we place camp. We have a 31ft toy hauler TT that works out great at the fort but not so much for last minute weekend trips. As most of you know bigger is not always better. I think after this thanksgiving the toy hauler is going up for sale in place of a pop up. I can't justify camping at the fort twice a year and $150 a month storage with a $40k investment sitting 330 days a year

Dave-

You just need to play the game.  It only costs you a one night deposit to reserve 30 days at a time.  If you wanted to, you could go out two years, and make 12 30 day reservations.  You can leave them, and change them right up to the check in date.  It would tie up a chunk of money, but you could go to the Fort whenever you want.

TCD

Checking everyday for you. 4 times or more.

I know you are doing everything you can!  I certainly appreciate that.  It is one reason that I fully support using a TA for something "seemingly so simple".  But due to the complexity of the Disney system, they have made this anything but simple.  Thanks for all that you do!

You don't even have to wait until the next day.  You can call immediately.

TCD

Thanks Andrew, I always know I can get the best advice and tricks from you. After you make a reservation online do you need to call to cancel days?

Thanks Andrew, I always know I can get the best advice and tricks from you. After you make a reservation online do you need to call to cancel days?

Yes, you need to call.  I haven't found a way to make the changes online.

So, you're going to have to go through that annoying process of calling, plugging in your reservation number and phone number, and then speaking to some lady in New Jersey calling herself Aurora or Esmeralda or whatever.  She will ask you for the same information you already had to key in, and then repeat it back to you incorrectly. Then she will ask you if you want to make dining reservations or buy park tickets. Just keep saying no thank you.  Eventually she'll ask what she can do to help you, and you can then cancel the days you don't need.

TCD

So, you're going to have to go through that annoying process of calling, plugging in your reservation number and phone number, and then speaking to some lady in New Jersey calling herself Aurora or Esmeralda or whatever.  She will ask you for the same information you already had to key in, and then repeat it back to you incorrectly. Then she will ask you if you want to make dining reservations or buy park tickets. Just keep saying no thank you.  Eventually she'll ask what she can do to help you, and you can then cancel the days you don't need.

TCD

And if you're lucky, she has a decent phone and connection at her home, you will be able to hear her clearly, and she speaks decent English without a thick accent of some kind.

If you get all of that in one call, Thats some strong Pixie Dust!

TCD is exactly right about canceling the unneeded days. I spend most of my time doing just that.

I would like to state for the record though I do not book bogus sites or sites with fake names.

A. I don't have the money for all the deposits that would mean

B. more importantly it's wrong and at some point Disney can decide to start enforcing the line in the terms that the lead guest must be present to check in. Or they could just start canceling TA's from the system for doing this

I don't feel it's right to do. It may mean I can't always get someone a site they want but I will sleep fine at night being above board and honest with every single customer.

TCD

Or just have a Disney TA do it.... 

TCD is exactly right about canceling the unneeded days. I spend most of my time doing just that.

I would like to state for the record though I do not book bogus sites or sites with fake names.

A. I don't have the money for all the deposits that would mean

B. more importantly it's wrong and at some point Disney can decide to start enforcing the line in the terms that the lead guest must be present to check in. Or they could just start canceling TA's from the system for doing this

I don't feel it's right to do. It may mean I can't always get someone a site they want but I will sleep fine at night being above board and honest with every single customer.

Thanks Jason, you one of the good guys.