Campground FULL in January and February

So disappointed today when trying to book our upcoming January/ February family vacation at Fort Wilderness.  NOTHING was available.  We wanted two weeks.  Our dates were flexible all over those 2 months.  Nothing.  We were flexible as to whether we had preferred, premium, full-hook up or even the pet loop was optional since we won't have our dog with us this year but love the fur babies.  Nothing. 
So, after some digging around, I found out that tons of people are booking 1 "throw-away" night at the campsites during Jan. and Feb. so they can qualify for something - not sure what it is - suspect it might be so they can get FP+ onsite status but totally not sure.  The extremely frustrating thing about it is that they are not even staying that one night.  The loops will be empty and my family won't get to camp as we'd planned. 

What do you all know abou it ?

So, after some digging around, I found out that tons of people are booking 1 "throw-away" night at the campsites during Jan. and Feb. so they can qualify for something - not sure what it is - suspect it might be so they can get FP+ onsite status but totally not sure.  

That rumor has been floating for several years on another site and it has never been substantiated. Weekends seem to fill up with locals, at least it has the last several years along with the "Snowbirds" that move in, us included. So that is probably more the cause of your problem as well as Disney's antiquated system than so called "throw-aways".

Some may find this throw away only a rumor but I can't help but compare this ridiculous situation to the previous years we've had the campgrounds practically all to ourselves in January and February without a lick of trouble getting the reservations.

I was given a link to this article.  I think it appropriate for this situation:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/the-great-throwaway-room-debate.htm

Thank you, Carol!   My TA of many years retired recently and the new one (bless her heart for trying!) probably isn't very familiar with Fort Wilderness.
if we book seperate ressies do we have to switch campsites ?  I know that sounds silly but I'd hate to have to do that.

I may need to contact Jason when he returns.

I just looked for most of January, and most of February, if you book seperate reservations - Sun - Fri morning, you can get pretty much any level of campsite, then keep trying to fill the middle weekend as time gets closer.

I just had to do this myself. I booked Jan 19 - 24, with the hope of adding Jan 17 and 18. After daily checks for 2 weeks I finally got the 17th then a week after that I was able to grab the 18th. Fortunately I was able to get the same level site for all days.

Don't give up... hopefully since the 45 day mark for cancellations is coming up, people who snagged a site "just in case" will be canceling.

my TA is Nancy Spann and she does wonders. Her specialty is Disney and the Fort. . I have used her for years.

admin note:  we do not put phone numbers on our site unless they are sponsors here.  This protects the people you mentioned on the site so that they are not called by random people and by spammers who may patrol our site.  Your understanding is appreciated.

Pretty sad these days you can't plan a last minute weekend trip let alone a 2 month in advance weekend trip by going online and booking it. We have had to stoop to bucking the system and booking 28 days then having to cancel. Blasphemy

The fort needs to become TA reservation only the way things are going. I remember people thought years ago with the addition of the premium sites that Disney finally did it and priced a campsite out of people's reach at over $100 a night. Some even boycotted the fort for over a year, but eventually people learned to pay the high price, the economy got better, people realized that $130 for a concrete pad with all the Disney resort amenities was a bargin and RV sales started to improve. The fort is now a cash cow with little upkeep compared to a huge resort. Does Disney care that you can't book a weekend trip online, he'll no. They know the TA will do it for them. It's really getting out of control

The only way to have available sites at any time is to increase the price until most cannot afford to pay that much and non of us want to pay more.

Disney could easily expand FW and add a loop or two (or five).  It's not as if it's only at XMas or around Spring Break or summer that sites are hard to get; it's year round.  I really have no idea how much it would cost them to add another loop but I'm sure they have the space and even if this new loop is only at 50% capacity for the year, I'm sure they would pay for it very quickly (50% capacity of an avg $90 / night is still $16k / year, spread that over 5-10 years and it's not hard for it to be profitable).  They could even easily add a new "Extra Large site loop (maybe with pull-throughs)" at $150 / night avg and I bet you that would be 85% booked for the year (85% capacity of an avg $150 / night would be $46k / year).  (Just so it's clear, that amount would be per site - if they add 30 sites, they'd make that times 30.  I'm not in contruction but I just don't see adding loop for costing over $500k-$1 million.  At that price, they would recoup the investment of my modest 50% occupancy loop in 1 or 2 years)

IMHO, I think Disney doesn't really care about FW.  The profit margin on it is good enough that it's not worth tearing down to build another premium resort but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the long, long term plan (leave FW as is without putting much into it until we really need the land and then we'll tear it down).  As it stands, I don't think they mind that it's often hard to make reservations as it makes people commit to making reservations far ahead of time.  Their cancellation policy is great (because the know it's likely going to be booked up again as fast as it's cancelled) but with sites being difficult to get, people will reserve for XMas one year out and once the reservation is done, it's less likely they'd cancel it than if they hadn't made the reservation to begin with.