Mardi Gras at Disney again....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year we made a trip to the Fort and Disney during Mardi Gras week. That was the second time we had gone during Mardi Gras. The first time was when Mardi Gras coincided with President's day, and w

Congrats.   Sorry, but that Red and Black Fan beat you to the punch.   Glad to see some interest. We talked about you while in the park one day while a foreign family was jabbering away in front of us

Day two... Back to the Magic Kingdom.   With all those dining plan credits, Shardi booked breakfast with the hunerd acre woods crew at the Crystal Palace. This has become a tradition on almost every t

I'm in!

That's a great start to the trip report!    MK and California grill in the first day!

Did you get a new fifth wheel?  I didn't think you had a toy hauler before, you always hauled the cart on the Peterbilt.

I always think its funny how many people in Louisiana use the Mardi Gras vacation to leave the state (including my family).  I always tell people that we wanted to get away from the craziness, plus the schools here get Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off how can you not go on a trip with that time off.

WBI

Yes, in November I upgraded our Bristol Bay fifth wheel to a Grand design's Momentum Toy Hauler. It was a major upgrade in luxury and allows me to haul the golf cart when my Father-In-Law is using the Peterbilt. This was our first long trip with it. We spent a weekend at Cajun Palms in Henderson to test everything out before heading to Disney. It would be even better if we had three days off instead of two. Last year we were stopped and asked if there was an LSU convention at Disney because there were so many people wearing LSU clothing. 

So, Shardi and dear daughter decide it is too chilly to ride Splash Mountain and would rather go back to the campground. This excited our son because then the two of us could ride twice. Oh Joy!!??.. So we took Shardi and DD's magic bands and headed for Splash Mountain while they left. When we got there, the standby wait showed 20 minutes and we had 30 minutes until our FP time, so in the line we go. This was going to be a three ride day on Splash Mountain. Did I mention that the sun was beginning to set and the temps were beginning to drop? Well we make it the loading area and dear son tells the CM..."I want to ride in the front row so DAD can get wet"....well G thanks knot head. So away we go. 

MK_SPLASH_7188404777_zps82340a1f.jpeg

And a quick selfie at the bottom.

20150212_170315_zps0f355764.jpg

Not to bad at this time. A little splash to the face. So around we go and into the FP line. Back to the front and the same CM. Ride Two.

MK_SPLASH_7188450413_zps3bff6651.jpeg

20150212_173848_zps316b1e29.jpg

A little wetter. So back around to ride Number 3. At this point the CM gives us an eyeball and he is hamming it up with dear son. I make the comment that I am happy this is our last ride because we are officially out of FastPasses.....to which the CM smiles and states...."No you're Not" and politely hands me two passes. G thanks Mister!!

20150212_180904_zpscc4676a5.jpg

MK_SPLASH_7188475228_zpsb1f7d316.jpeg

20150212_180219_zps66d308d2.jpg

Now we are soaked and so we get off the ride and I start checking my watch because Shardi had reservations at a very special place for supper and I needed to get back to get dried out and change. I asked DS did he want to ride again or be generous and give the passes away. He looked me in the eye, gave a shiver, and said "Generous". So on our way out we tried to give the passes away but no one took us up on the gift. 

Next up.. Supper.

Have we seen pics of your Grand Design?  We would like to move to a toy hauler and the 2015 Grand Design 385th is the one we want....but they don't want to give us enough for our current Open Range 5er, so we are staying put...... for now.  Would love to see some pics and get your impression of the Grand Design!

Have we seen pics of your Grand Design?  We would like to move to a toy hauler and the 2015 Grand Design 385th is the one we want....but they don't want to give us enough for our current Open Range 5er, so we are staying put...... for now.  Would love to see some pics and get your impression of the Grand Design!

I have not shown any pictures of the Toy Hauler but I will work on that. I had certain requirements for one and did a ton of research. Grand Design caught my attention and I knew that was the manufacturer I wanted. Then it needed to fit inside my shop. I was all set to buy the 355TH in March of last year but then heard about the new 380TH model and decided to wait to see if it would fit in the shop. Well then everything upended at work and I quit my job, returning to the family owned business. By the time things had settled out with that, I found that the 380TH was too long to fit in the shop and the 355TH had been discontinued. Along comes October and we made a trip to the Fort with our Truck Camper (for sale by the way) and once I got home I started searching in earnest for a 355TH holdover. Well I found one in Buda, TX. It was their demo unit and they were ready to move it. I cut a smoking deal on it with trading in my 2008 model Bristol Bay bunk house. So I drove over to near Austin, TX did an Inspection and drove the new Toy Hauler home in one day. The 355TH so far is a very well built unit. Being the first generation Momentum, it has the 8,000 pound axles and 17.5 inch wheels and tires. It is a very heavy unit with very large tanks. This past week while at the Fort, with 4 of us showering, the gray tank lasted for 5 days before I had to dump it. I just wanted to see how long it would go. So far I am loving it.

Sweet.  I am going to look for holdovers and demos next year at this time and see what is available.

Glad to know you like it.

GD definitely seems like a good company.......3 guys who worked for big RV go out on their own to make the coach they want to make.  Unfortunately they will be bought by Thor after developing a good reputation in 5 years and the cost cutting will begin. 

LOVE your Splash Mountain adventure!!!

We had some really cold weather in November (even for us) and there were nights that DH wouldn't ride it, no matter how much I nagged.  The night he finally caved in, we just got a few sprinkles on us the first time, and when we came around and there was no line, they told us we could stay in and go again. So we did.  And got completely DRENCHED.

I laughed hysterically all the way to POTC.

I have a camper freezer full of Mickey Bars and a box full of sea salt caramels.

Best use of Disney Snack Credits EVAH!

OK, I watched the video.

Nice choice of music:  Molly Hatchet?  Metaldad would be so proud.

Oh, and I saw where the Jesus Jet photobombed (or I guess videobombed) you.  I haven't seen the Jesus Jet in a while, and didn't know it was still around.

TCD

Thanks for wasting that much of your time. I am all over the place with my music selections. First song is "Lips of an Angel" by Hinder, Second was "Run through the Jungle" by CCR, and finished up with "Flirting with Disaster" by Molly Hatchet which I felt fit the moment of dodging the truck on the other side while backing into the site.

I have not shown any pictures of the Toy Hauler but I will work on that. I had certain requirements for one and did a ton of research. Grand Design caught my attention and I knew that was the manufacturer I wanted. Then it needed to fit inside my shop. I was all set to buy the 355TH in March of last year but then heard about the new 380TH model and decided to wait to see if it would fit in the shop. Well then everything upended at work and I quit my job, returning to the family owned business. By the time things had settled out with that, I found that the 380TH was too long to fit in the shop and the 355TH had been discontinued. Along comes October and we made a trip to the Fort with our Truck Camper (for sale by the way) and once I got home I started searching in earnest for a 355TH holdover. Well I found one in Buda, TX. It was their demo unit and they were ready to move it. I cut a smoking deal on it with trading in my 2008 model Bristol Bay bunk house. So I drove over to near Austin, TX did an Inspection and drove the new Toy Hauler home in one day. The 355TH so far is a very well built unit. Being the first generation Momentum, it has the 8,000 pound axles and 17.5 inch wheels and tires. It is a very heavy unit with very large tanks. This past week while at the Fort, with 4 of us showering, the gray tank lasted for 5 days before I had to dump it. I just wanted to see how long it would go. So far I am loving it.

Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, but what are you pulling your momentum with?  We bought an 08 Inferno 42' to "test the waters" before dropping some serious $$$ on a rig like yours or a Fuzion. Towing with a 13' ram dually and it's a heavy beast  - 15K plus but so far so go.

Sorry for Hijack, just curious about your rig and wanting to learn more as I go!

Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, but what are you pulling your momentum with?  We bought an 08 Inferno 42' to "test the waters" before dropping some serious $$$ on a rig like yours or a Fuzion. Towing with a 13' ram dually and it's a heavy beast  - 15K plus but so far so go.

Sorry for Hijack, just curious about your rig and wanting to learn more as I go!

I have two tow vehicles that I use, one is a 2015 Ford F-350 Super Duty with the high capacity trailer towing package. Not sure what makes it so different than a standard F-350 other than the wide track front axle and 4.30 gears. The other tow vehicle is a 378 Peterbilt with a Schwalbe Cowboy conversion. 

Petetoy.jpg

Petetoy_4.jpg

Personally I think you will be just fine with your Ram.

Yes, in November I upgraded our Bristol Bay fifth wheel to a Grand design's Momentum Toy Hauler. It was a major upgrade in luxury and allows me to haul the golf cart when my Father-In-Law is using the Peterbilt. This was our first long trip with it. We spent a weekend at Cajun Palms in Henderson to test everything out before heading to Disney. It would be even better if we had three days off instead of two. Last year we were stopped and asked if there was an LSU convention at Disney because there were so many people wearing LSU clothing. 

That's great, I looked it up and looks like all their 5er's are very nice, congrats!

I've always heard that about Mardi Gras at Disney, Louisiana takes it over.

WBI

When I left off, I was headed back to get ready for supper. This is the menu for the night.

VandAmenu_zpsc3ad28c1.jpg

Here is my lovely date. This is a combination 39th birthday and Valentines dinner.

20150212_204531_zps704cb4e6.jpg

We started off with this dish. A little back story about this dish. When V&A called to confirm our reservation a week prior to the date, Shardi asked if a particular dish would be on the menu, a lobster jar something, and the person calling stated that they were no longer serving that dish, but they would make note of it and the chef may serve it to us as a special request. Well here it is:

IMG_4844_zpsdc5163d7.jpg

That was a fantastic start. From there we both chose the Colorado Bison:

20150212_210304_zps7a88a804.jpg

Then Shardi had the Striped Bass:

IMG_4846_zps40cad120.jpg

I had the Maine scallop but cannot find the picture. 

The next course, Shardi had the Quail:

IMG_4848_zps92e91f3b.jpg

And I had the Berkshire Pork:

20150212_213154_zps23a9d690.jpg

Next up was the main course. Shardi chose the Veal:

IMG_4849_zps74350af5.jpg

And I had the Australian Kobe-style Tenderloin. If the real Kobe is any better, then it must be like kissing an angel.

20150212_214801_zpsccde638f.jpg

Then it was dessert time. We both chose the Caramelized Banana Gâteau and cofee:

20150212_222210_zpsde2a3c47.jpg

20150212_220616_zps29b3fa4e.jpg

And a last little bit of candies before leaving.

20150212_224648_zps8c9e896c.jpg

It was a fantastic meal. You will also notice that the waiter gave Shardi a Rose to remember the night. This was the second time we have had the pleasure of eating at Victoria and Albert's. The first time was for our 15th anniversary. That was 4 and a half years ago and the food is still absolutely wonderful! 

From that we drove back over to the Fort and went to bed. A great finish to a wonderful day.

Next up is Friday and a day at EPCOT.

Your Splash adventure made me cold! 

V&A.... I would eat most of that. I keep saying we need to try that. Someday... someday....

It was chilly but it gave my son something to remember for ever. 

V&A's is an expensive dinner, but the meal and the service is over the top. It is not an every trip kind of place for us but it is a planned and looked forward to dinner, say once every 4 or 5 years.

Wow, what a meal!

Congratulations to you and Shardi, both for your anniversary and for her 39th birthday.

I have always said I'd never go to V&A, as no meal is worth that much.  But, I have to say what you had looks pretty special.

TCD

Thanks on the congratulations, as this November will make 20 years. We are hoping to attend the Food and Wine Festival, just the two of us, to celebrate. It just so happens that this year marks the 20th year of the Food and Wine Festival. Makes for good souvenirs. 

It is very hard to justify a meal like this. But we don't smoke or drink much, and all that money that some people spend to slowly kill themselves, we spend on special treats like this. We are fortunate in our economic status that allows us to do things that are extravagant. I feel that I have worked hard enough to deserve some special things once in a while. It is not for everyone, but we enjoy it.