Week-long bike rentals at the Fort?

Hey guys, first post on Fort Fiends. I tried searching for this info, but I didn't find a recent post on it. I hope I'm not violating any decorum, here. My apologies if I am.

Short version of the question: If I'd really like to have a bike at FW (staying in a cabin), but don't have room in the car to bring one from home, do I have any non-Bike Barn options?

Long version: I grew up vacationing at the Fort in a popup camper with my family. Riding my bike around the Fort was just about the best part of the whole trip – looking for deer and alligators, heading to the Trading Posts for Mickey Bars, finding my favorite fishing spot at the little dam just off the lake. It was awesome. 

Last time I returned to the Fort as an adult, I thought I'd just rent a bike for the week from the Barn (without doing any proper research ahead of time, of course). I was pretty bummed to find that I couldn't rent for the week, and I had to return the bike each night by 5 or 6pm. I know the roads of the Fort aren't well lit, and I love the tranquil atmosphere that provides, but man, I'd love to be able to ride to the campfire movie and back with my family on bikes.

I've been Googling quite a bit to try and find other options – 3rd party bike rentals, etc. But most of the info I've found is out of date. And I've read about Disney cracking down on rental deliveries of carts to FW. I assume that'd be the same for bikes.

I've about given up on the idea. This is kind of my Hail Mary. Any ideas, trusted sources, etc.? 

Thanks for your time!

Hey guys, first post on Fort Fiends. I tried searching for this info, but I didn't find a recent post on it. I hope I'm not violating any decorum, here. My apologies if I am.

I'll let others tackle the bike question that have more experience than I do, but just wanted to say welcome!!  And there's no decorum to violate here, so please feel free to ask any questions you like.  8)

I'll let others tackle the bike question that have more experience than I do, but just wanted to say welcome!!  And there's no decorum to violate here, so please feel free to ask any questions you like.  B)

C'mon, decorum goes with Fort Fiends like mustard with ice cream. 

Hey PughHenson.....WELCOME!! 

I've actually considered starting a Fiend Bike Swap....like people used to do with small fridges at the resorts before they put fridges in all the rooms.  We have some well marked old bikes that are left at a determined bike rack wtih a combo lock, and people can use them (the combination can be posted here) and then leave them for the next Fiend.  Of course, they'd soon be junk from sitting out in the weather constantly, and some poor unsuspecting Fiend will have the brakes fail and go head first into a tree.  But hey, at least it won't be the lawnmower tree! 

Hey PughHenson.....WELCOME!! 

I've actually considered starting a Fiend Bike Swap....like people used to do with small fridges at the resorts before they put fridges in all the rooms.  We have some well marked old bikes that are left at a determined bike rack wtih a combo lock, and people can use them (the combination can be posted here) and then leave them for the next Fiend.  Of course, they'd soon be junk from sitting out in the weather constantly, and some poor unsuspecting Fiend will have the brakes fail and go head first into a tree.  But hey, at least it won't be the lawnmower tree! 

Ahhh... the poor lawnmower tree :(

Yum!  :rofl2:

I've actually considered starting a Fiend Bike Swap....like people used to do with small fridges at the resorts before they put fridges in all the rooms.  We have some well marked old bikes that are left at a determined bike rack wtih a combo lock, and people can use them (the combination can be posted here) and then leave them for the next Fiend.

That's a great idea!

Of course, they'd soon be junk from sitting out in the weather constantly, and some poor unsuspecting Fiend will have the brakes fail and go head first into a tree.  But hey, at least it won't be the lawnmower tree! 

Ok so maybe it's a so-so idea.  8)

Seriously though, it really isn't a bad idea. 

I'm not aware of anyone off-site that rents bikes (if anyone is, please let us know), but that still leaves the issue of getting bikes to the Fort - especially for folks without a car. 

As Jason said, a daily bike rental from the Fort will cost you more than a cheap Walmart bike, so not a bad idea to pass it along to someone else. 

Thanks for being so welcoming, guys! There are some great tips here.

My trip is March 14-21. I'm bringing along the in-laws for their first FW experience. They're Disney vets, but this is the first time my wife and I have convinced them to try out FW. 

I like the thought of buying a couple of bikes at WalMart and leaving a numbered lock that the next FF'er could use. I'll have to consider that. I'll be sure to post about it if I go that route.

A lot of vacation destinations in Florida have bike rental/delivery services. I'm pretty surprised there isn't something similar near WDW. Maybe that's my retirement gig in 30 years or so!

Thanks for being so welcoming, guys! There are some great tips here.

My trip is March 14-21. I'm bringing along the in-laws for their first FW experience. They're Disney vets, but this is the first time my wife and I have convinced them to try out FW. 

I like the thought of buying a couple of bikes at WalMart and leaving a numbered lock that the next FF'er could use. I'll have to consider that. I'll be sure to post about it if I go that route.

A lot of vacation destinations in Florida have bike rental/delivery services. I'm pretty surprised there isn't something similar near WDW. Maybe that's my retirement gig in 30 years or so!

I think the issue would be that Disney does rent bikes (albeit at a high cost), so an outside company delivering bikes to the Fort would be in direct competition with Disney, which wouldn't be looked at too kindly. 

Stop and say "HI" we're in 402..OH and mickeywelcome.gif

I found a couple of places fairly close by, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Has anyone here ever dealt with either?

This place says they deliver to Orlando area hotels, but I can't tell if they deliver to the Fort or not. They charge $30/day or $99/week.

http://www.orlandobikerental.com/bike_rentals.html

Then there's this place, that says that rental delivery is available "within the Clermont area." Their rentals are $50/day, $150/week and there's a $25 delivery fee.

http://thecyclinghub.com/about/bike-and-wheel-rental-pg240.htm

I think the issue would be that Disney does rent bikes (albeit at a high cost), so an outside company delivering bikes to the Fort would be in direct competition with Disney, which wouldn't be looked at too kindly. 

I'd imagine it would be the same deal as golf carts... if you bring it in yourself it's ok, but they don't want any companies "doing business" on Disney property - which these days for golf carts means they can't deliver/pickup directly to/from the Fort.

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hello-smiley:

I'm surprised there aren't more rental places too. 

There aren't many rules here. Don't post REALLY bad words, your phone/email, or naked pictures. I think that's about it. 

This is actually a good idea. If they were simple bikes, it would be OK for awhile, probably. And nerds like Mr. GaDawgFan could tune it up when present. Of course, they'd have to be purple. 

Kelly said:

"This is actually a good idea. If they were simple bikes, it would be OK for awhile, probably. And nerds like Mr. GaDawgFan could tune it up when present. Of course, they'd have to be purple." 

I really like the idea of Good Will or Wall-Mart.  And buy a can of purple spray paint and 'fix' those bikes.  Would be easier for FFers to spot.