One more thing we are considering for camping is purchasing a used 4 seat golf cart.  We are leaning towards electric since some other campgrounds we go to do not allow gas powered carts.  Any tips, advise necessary equipment we should have on the cart to use at many different campgrounds? 

Also are carts allowed at Panama City Beach?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

New batteries!

We got electric because some places don't allow gas. 

Make sure it has relatively new batteries.  That is the biggest maintenance expense on an electric cart.

How long do batteries in the golf carts typically last before you have to change them?   5 years?

We have a gas and an electric cart.

I'd go with electric. Less maintence. Not that's a lot on a gas.

The best/cheapest way of getting one is to know some on at your kola golf course. They get new carts every 3,4,5 years. And then they are sold at auction by the company they are leased from. But if you know someone they might sell you one. Then you buy the backseat and out it on yourself.

Batteries will last 5-6 years. But if you make sure the batteries always are topped off with water. Also people will buy the cheap Everstart batteries and sell it with "new" batteries. Well I guess technically they're new batteries but they won't last very long. The best batteries IMHO are Trojans. (Insert joke here).

The best/cheapest way of getting one is to know some on at your kola golf course. They get new carts every 3,4,5 years. And then they are sold at auction by the company they are leased from. But if you know someone they might sell you one. Then you buy the backseat and out it on yourself.

Batteries will last 5-6 years. But if you make sure the batteries always are topped off with water. Also people will buy the cheap Everstart batteries and sell it with "new" batteries. Well I guess technically they're new batteries but they won't last very long. The best batteries IMHO are Trojans. (Insert joke here).

Good tips here.   Also did see where Trojan were better batteries, but glad that someone confirmed that.

If you end up buying batteries, look for a battery wholesaler near you. I bought from on in Baltimore called Best Battery and they saved me a good $100 for a deep cycle RV battery.

In fact, I asked more than once if they were quoting me the right price for the battery and ran like hell when I got my CC receipt like I got away with something! :)

While I don't know much on electric carts, as I have gas, I would make sure you have a good look at the frame of an electric cart. If I'm not mistaken, and I might be, electric EZ GO carts have has some corrosion issues near the battery area, from spilled over battery acid. Club Car haven't had as many as issues as EZ GO because CC have aluminum frames versus the steel frames of EZ GO. With that being said, I own a 2003 EZ GO and the frame was in excellent shape. Either way, dig into whatever cart you are interested in and go over it with a fine tooth comb and you will be good. Good luck and enjoy your search!

Cody

What do they charge for an interstate 6 volt? How many years have you gotten out of yours?

My cart came with Jeffrey Allen and I haven't had to change yet. Basing that comment on what GC sales/service person told me. When I need new I am strongly considering AGM's, pricey but service free.

If you are going to be near the coast or have rust issues where you are I would look into club car they have an aluminum frame. We have 2 club car electric carts and live on the coast have a lot less to keep up on when you dont have to worry about frame rust.

Headlights, taillights and a horn are also nice to have and I believe required at the Fort and I would assume most campgrounds, they are an easy add on with the right tools. Brake lights and turnsignals are an added bonus.

Batteries all come down to how well they are maintained and how much you use them. If you are going to be running a lot of 12 volt accessories (head and taillights, horns, radio, accessory plug) off of your golf cart batteries I would recommend looking into a voltage reducer/adapter. You can run them without the voltage reducer/adapter but it will ru down the batteries that they are connected to and cause them to wear out faster. There are 2 types one that will connect to your entire battery bank and one that will connect to just a couple batteries in series. I would go with the one that connects to the entire battery bank so that its drawing power from all the batteries equally, that should help with the life of your batteries.

Another thing to think about/look at when getting a cart is the motor, controler, and voltage. Most standard golf course carts are slow and replacing motors and controllers to get them up to higher speeds can be costly. For example our standard cart that came from a course runs about 10-11 mph our other cart runs at about 17mph, in Fl if you want to make it street legel it has to run over 20 and under 25. When I looked into uprgrading our standard cart it was going to be about 2000.00 for everything needed to get it up to speed.

A cart with good batteries, body, frame, and motor can be a lot of fun to add things to and customize how you want it.

If a person is only going to use a cart camping a couple of times a year, it is cheaper to rent one instead of buying and maintaining one. Carts are not cheap to own and also you have to transport it. But that is another issue.