A Great Memorial Weekend Trip

Great job so far on the report, Mark.

I'm glad to see you got your favorite site- that's not an easy thing to do on a holiday weekend.

In answer to your question about site numbers being on the parking passes- that's not something I've ever seen in any of my visits to the Fort over the years.

Also, since you did on-line check in, they already had your credit card information, and charged your remaining balance prior to your arrival.  That is the reason for the funny questions you got and check-in.  At some of the resorts, you can go right to your room and bypass the entire check-in process now.  I haven't heard of that happening at the Fort yet, but it could be coming soon.

TCD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well after going back and forth with Disney reservations trying to drop our extra days, we were ready for our Memorial Day/24 hour Weekend to the Fort to begin.   But first, the PUP needed some prep w

Love the t-shirts and family photo at the bus stop :)    We've seen those silly turkeys almost every trip, but never in a tree.... guess I need to look up from now on  :rolleyes:

Thanks, and more turkey pictures to follow!

Great job so far on the report, Mark.

I'm glad to see you got your favorite site- that's not an easy thing to do on a holiday weekend.

In answer to your question about site numbers being on the parking passes- that's not something I've ever seen in any of my visits to the Fort over the years.

Also, since you did on-line check in, they already had your credit card information, and charged your remaining balance prior to your arrival.  That is the reason for the funny questions you got and check-in.  At some of the resorts, you can go right to your room and bypass the entire check-in process now.  I haven't heard of that happening at the Fort yet, but it could be coming soon.

TCD

Do they really process the payment the day you do the on line check in, or wait until you actually arrive then run it?

I see mine went thru my CU on Sunday.

Maybe I was imagining the site # on the parking passes.

They usually run it early the morning of checkin if you do online checkin.

I've had a funny thing though. The last couple of times I did online checkin, they didn't have it in their records and I had to do normal checkin.

That's good to know, since I use a card that's tied into my checking account and I don't always have a couple hundred extra $$ sitting in it. 

Payday Friday was when we checked in, so the accounts tank was full, but if they had run it a couple of days before when I did the online, there would've been an oops moment.

In the lull, we probably did cabins two or three time. Once was a full week ( my daughter got a real good discount thru her job) and the others were 3 or 4 days.

Then 18 months ago we started tenting and now a PUP. We did probably 4 or more 3 or 4 day stays, then last 4th of July was a full week.

One of the stays was for Halloween.

To me going to the parks almost feels like cheating on the Fort. We didn't do nearly as much at the Fort this time by going to the Parks.

A couple of times we stayed at really nice hotels, but missed out on activities there because we were at the parks.

It's hard balancing relaxing at the Fort and fighting the crowds at the parks.

dCmqXWNl.jpg

My youngest daughter and son are missing from this picture.  That just means another trip to the Fort to recreate this pose! 

That is a great looking family!  How soon can we expect the replacement photo with everyone in it?

Oh, and I love the tee shirts!

Wrap up time.

Back at the site it was time to relax, have some lunch and do Fort stuff!.

My granddaughter found the entire turkey clan out for an afternoon stroll.

WVfyGS0l.jpg

1P93Utvl.jpg

When we were at the Fort last 4th of July we saw an entire family walking around in the same place.  When we came back for Halloween it was the same family strolling around, but the babies were a lot larger, almost adult sized.

My son in law came back with my other granddaughter so they ran around playing with the kids from the site next door.

We started packing up items that we wouldn’t need any longer, trying to get a jump on Mondays departure. :'( 

We celebrated National Hamburger Day a little early so I could finish up the burgers we had brought with us.  Made one daughter a bacon double cheese burger, and then she added a big scoop of mac and cheese to the bun.  She said it was good and it was quite the show watching her try to eat it.

6 of us headed back to HS for the Star Wars show.  My wife stayed behind visiting with her sister who came over for the day.

A quick stop at Mickey’s on Mainstreet to purchase a couple of light sabers and we were off to the stage.

We got there about 7:45 and found a good spot along the rope to the right side of the stage.  We were in for a long wait since the show didn’t start until 9:30, but the DJ kept things moving along.  The kids were real good waiting.

TOwL2rQl.jpg

Finally the show began.

g2HdLpYl.jpg

Most of the pictures I was able to take had the characters behind the railing uprights, so it was easier to take them off of the big screen.

Q1YnpsUl.jpg

hVb0ML5l.jpg

Again just a couple of pictures, didn't want anyone to get a Star Wars overload.

The show was good, but I don’t think I would wait that long again for it.

The fireworks were another story.  They were great and the show lasted 5+ minutes.  I recorded the entire show on my phone so my wife could see it.

We waited a while before heading out trying to avoid the mobs.  It partially worked.  There was a big backup leaving thru the side gate to the parking lots.  Once we got to the car and tried to leave it was a major mess.  Disney may know how to put on shows, but they need to hire some traffic engineers to figure out a better way of emptying parking lots!  No one was out guiding traffic, so the cars from the other lots that got to the exit road first made a steady stream and wouldn’t let anyone else out.

Got back to the site and got ready to turn in.  My one daughter had a 7:45 flight and my other daughter was taking her to the airport, so they needed to leave the Fort by 6:00.

Monday morning my wife and I started packing the remaining items.  It went pretty quick since we had packed things Sunday also.  My granddaughter slept in until it was time to breakdown the PUP.

i8zTEHcl.jpg

While we were packing at 2 different times big Class A’s came driving thru the 1500 loop, not an easy feat on the narrow road.  One was towing a car behind it.  Don’t know it they got 1500 confused with 500?

My granddaughter helped us finish the packing then went to say goodbye to her new friends.  She came running back telling my wife that some people around the corner had a BIG PUP with an A/C in it, and did we see that big RV drive thru. My wife reminded her that we were packing tents and loading the truck, because 18 months ago she wanted to do “REAL” camping and not stay in the cabins any longer.

On my way back from getting changed I stopped to talk to this family. 

3ivgVlRl.jpg

They were packing up also and had been on their site when we arrived.  They took 3 days coming down from Ontario keeping the speed around 55.  This was a 75 with 61,000 miles and had been stored for 10 years when they bought it.  They’ve had it for 5 years and it still has the original motor.  I had seen two boys playing outside, but when I was talking I saw a third kid already in the van.  The owner had made the little tent setup on top of the trailer.  He said they usually don’t take the trailer with them on shorter trips.

We started getting a few raindrops as we pulled out of the site but they stopped before the Outpost.  But, while we were on 536 it started pouring.  We had rain on and off until we got near ChampionsGate, then it cleared up for the rest of the drive.

Someone passed out again around the Hwy 27 overpass and slept until we pulled into the driveway.

SCFmII9l.jpg

I think she was in a breakfast coma.  We had stopped at Racetrac so she could fill her Sodapalooza cup with a Slurpee, and she also ate 1 1/2 breakfast sandwiches.

All in all it was a great trip.  I could’ve done without the biting flies, my ankles are still itching me.  We have winnowed down some of the items we don’t really use, and we have a little more to get rid of.

My granddaughter was a tremendous help the entire trip.  She definitely made it easier on us.

One thing I would like to say is that we are really impressed with the Coleman Extreme ice chests.  We had 2 of those for our main coolers and took an Igloo as an extra for drinks and some items that we couldn’t squeeze into the Colemans.  They kept everything cold the entire trip, in fact we had a bag of salad freeze in the one chest.  The Igloo was hard pressed to keep items really cold.  We added ice a couple of times, and the ice block container we put in there melted by Saturday mid morning.  The Coleman blocks lasted until Monday.

The Coleman oven and grill we brought both worked out well for us also. (No, I don't work for Coleman).  I think for the price, they make really decent equipment.

Well that about wraps it up.  I’m sure I’ll think of a couple of things to add on later.

Next planned trip is Labor Day weekend, but who knows what might pop up before then.

Great report, Mark.

I am a big fan of Coleman gear as well.  I like that camp oven you have.  But, at the Fort my electric toaster oven takes care of whatever I need an oven to heat.

Sorry about the biting flies.  They weren't an issue the last time I camped over Memorial Day Weekend.  I think it depends on the weather leading up to spring.

I sure hope you can squeeze in another camping trip somewhere before Labor Day.

TCD

Nice TR. Looks like you got enough Star Wars in. Thanks for sharing.

Never enough Star Wars :lol:

I've been a fan since the first movie came out, but I'm not a fanatic.  Some of the people at HS were over the top.

Just like some of the people at the MK for the 24 hours.

I saw a lot of Princess's, but on our way out we saw a woman who had on a full blown heavy, hoop skirted, Princess gown.  I bet her dress must've weighed 20+ pounds and she was walking about in 80 degree heat and 100% humidity.

Just like some of the people at the MK for the 24 hours.

I saw a lot of Princess's, but on our way out we saw a woman who had on a full blown heavy, hoop skirted, Princess gown.  I bet her dress must've weighed 20+ pounds and she was walking about in 80 degree heat and 100% humidity.

Any chance you saw the person dressed up as Pinocchio (complete with a 6" nose)?

And then there was the Duffy Bear lady.

I really need to continue my TR!

Great report, Mark.

I am a big fan of Coleman gear as well.  I like that camp oven you have.  But, at the Fort my electric toaster oven takes care of whatever I need an oven to heat.

Sorry about the biting flies.  They weren't an issue the last time I camped over Memorial Day Weekend.  I think it depends on the weather leading up to spring.

I sure hope you can squeeze in another camping trip somewhere before Labor Day.

TCD

We may try a State/county park over around Apopka called Kelly Springs.

I still want to go to Fort Desoto, and my co worker swears by the Seratoma Youth Ranch up near Brooksville.

We thought the oven would be good for the big frozen family sized casseroles we get from GFS.  We had taken a vegetable lasagna and wet burrito trays with us, but only ended up eating the mac and cheese.

One good thing about those trays is they are hard frozen, so they help keep the ice chests cold.

it's funny, you either end up with way too much to eat, or everything gets eaten the first day!

Better her than me.  There aint enough 'Disney Side' in me to pull a stunt like that.