Cruising on the Fantasy with the WBI Family

I'm finally caught up!

Glad your service improved and that you were able to make the best out of the rain. 

If we do end up on a Disney cruise, I'm torn between the dinner seatings. Early seems SO early. 

It does seem really early, and that's why we chose late seating on our first Disney cruise because we eat late at home, BUT we don't take two hours for dinner that late either......

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop it with the pirate costumes. Just stop. Tell CP she looks awesome. You guys did good. Where did you get these? Where did Ws come from? I see a Disney cruise in our near future and I'm gonna nee

Yup we did it!   After wanting to for years we finally went on our first Disney Cruise.   I know there are a ton of good trip reports I need to get caught up on but I wanted to get this one started wh

I agree!   I'll bet WBI bought all of the costumes, and I'll further bet that he had pirate makeup on like Captain Jack, but he's just not showing us the photos.   TCD

I love sea days!

I really like escargot too, but I have to have a couple of drinks in me before I can eat it.  If I think too much about what it is, I can't put it in my mouth.

So do we!

I agree you can't think too much about what it is, but it sure is tasty. 

I'm finally caught up!

Glad your service improved and that you were able to make the best out of the rain. 

If we do end up on a Disney cruise, I'm torn between the dinner seatings. Early seems SO early. 

That dinner did seem super early, but on the other hand it was nice to have dinner and then go to the show after or do other things.  It did seem rushed sometimes but I've also heard that the late seating seems really slow and long.  Either way with our little guy we'll be sticking with early seating's for a while.

It does seem really early, and that's why we chose late seating on our first Disney cruise because we eat late at home, BUT we don't take two hours for dinner that late either......

We always chose late seating on previous cruises too but you are right those long dinners cause you to be there really late.  On one cruise I have a picture of me almost asleep at dinner, it was a combination of being super tired, super late and a food coma from all the good food.

That restaurant looks so neat to me!  I think our kiddos would really enjoy it.  I also liked the Cinderella mosaic; very pretty.

The couch made-up as a bed... laughed out loud at that one  :lol:

The restaurant was really neat and interactive.

Yeah that couch/bed really had us curious, it took a couple days but we finally asked what was up.

Never tried escargot, but have eaten conch which is a large saltwater snail.

I have both and I'd say conch is a lot different.  To me conch was always kind of chewey and tough, escargot is not like that at all, super soft and tender and cooked with a buttery garlic!

WBI

Just read the latest update.  You're still doing great.

For those laughing about the couch being made up as a bed, the couch is a bed.  That's how they add the 3rd guest to these cabins (fourth guests sleep in a similar sized bunk that pulls down from the ceiling in cabins that are so equipped). The room steward must have gotten confused when he made up WBI's room that day.

TCD

I have both and I'd say conch is a lot different.  To me conch was always kind of chewey and tough, escargot is not like that at all, super soft and tender and cooked with a buttery garlic!

Conch can be chewy if it isn't cooked well.  I had wonderful conch fritters at the Barefoot Restaurant right on the beach in St. Maarten.

10-07%20St%20Maarten%2017%20Barefoot%20R

Wednesday, June 3rd

I messed up and told you a Sea day was up next but I got ahead of myself, today was Falmouth, Jamaica, sorry the sea day is on June 4th.

This morning we woke up to room service again but the best part was we had SUNSHINE.

We hadn't seen it in a couple days but there it was, so we enjoyed our coffee and the balcony as we pulled in to Falmouth.

I guess Falmouth is an old town in Jamaica that was overlooked for a long time, until in 2011 the Jamaican's and Royal Caribbean joined forces and developed a cruise port, complete with two berths for large cruise ships.  They also made the port area really nice with a fence to keep the locals out so you don't get bombarded with people trying to sell you things.  So if you want you can walk off the ship and get a completely safe touristy version of Jamaica and that was our plan for the day, but first we were going to spend some time on the ship.

Here's the main customs house at the port:

June3%201.jpg

June3%202.jpg

Margaritaville is the ship down there:
June3%203.jpg

Pretty soon a Royal Caribbean ship pulled in:

June3%20103.jpg

June3%20108.jpg

We didn't lounge to much this morning, instead we put on our swim trunks and hit Cabanas for breakfast and then headed to the Aqua Duck.

I let CP ride first and I tried to take pictures of W but he was running and enjoying the sunshine:

June3%20110.jpg

June3%20111.jpg

I should mention that one of W's favorite places was where the Aqua Duck ended, he could climb the stairs and stand next to the slide and splash the water with his hands.  He was far from the riders and the life guards didn't mind, actually they always sent an empty tube to him so he could move it around.  This worked out good for CP and I to relay ride the Aqua Duck.

Since there wasn't really a line, it wasn't long before it was my turn to go.

This time I brought the camera, which I don't think you are supposed to do, I heard someone get told they could ride with the GoPro unless it was on a head mount.

Here we go up the stairs:

June320112.jpg

Looking down:
June3%20113.jpg

Signs on the wall:

June3%20114.jpg

June320115.jpg

June3%20116.jpg

June3%20117.jpg

June3%20118.jpg

June3%20119.jpg

At this point I put the camera in my pocket so I don't have any pics of the loading area, but once I got going, I was able to get these:

June3%20120.jpg

June3%20121.jpg

June3%20122.jpg

June3%20123.jpg

June3%20124.jpg

Aqua Duck Selfie:
June3%20125.jpg

After that CP two more times and I rode once more, honestly we could have ridden a lot more than that, but I decided that was enough for now and took W to Nemo's Reef:

June3%20127.jpg

He loved that place and there was no one there besides us.

June3%20128.jpg

June3%20129.jpg

June3%20130.jpg

June3%20131.jpg

June3%20132.jpg

June3%20133.jpg

June3%20134.jpg

Since the place was empty I figured it was a good time for him to try the Mr Ray slide you see above.  He loved to be at the top but didn't want to slide down, so I had to reach up and help him down, it worked great for him but do you see that slippery cone sign?  That rubber mat was super slippery so when I caught W I fell.  Twice. 

I seriously couldn't walk across that mat without slipping, I made sure to avoid it the rest of the trip.

After splashing a while we went up to Deck 12 to our chairs where we relaxed some.

June3%20181.jpg

We spent the morning laying around and enjoying the ship and food.  You may have noticed it was cloudy but after the last two days everyone agreed this was a amazing weather, lol.

I'm close to the photo limit so I'll stop here but up next more lounging before going ashore.

WBI

Just read the latest update.  You're still doing great.

For those laughing about the couch being made up as a bed, the couch is a bed.  That's how they add the 3rd guest to these cabins (fourth guests sleep in a similar sized bunk that pulls down from the ceiling in cabins that are so equipped). The room steward must have gotten confused when he made up WBI's room that day.

TCD

Thanks TCD!

Yeah I should have said that, the couch isn't like a normal one at all, the back folds down and has some kind of real mattress on it.  I actually laid in it to try it out and it wasn't bad at all, much better than sleeping on a couch.

Our room steward made it up two days before we finally asked her about it.  Turns out Guest Relations told her we called and asked for it to be made up.  I'm not sure how that happened but we joked about it and we all had a good laugh in the hallway.

Conch can be chewy if it isn't cooked well.  I had wonderful conch fritters at the Barefoot Restaurant right on the beach in St. Maarten.

10-07%20St%20Maarten%2017%20Barefoot%20R

I bet that place was good.

I've had some good conch fritters in the keys.

WBI

Looking forward to you going ashore at Falmouth.  I've been to Jamaica many times, but we've always docked at Ochee.  Toured the coffee fields, visited schoolhouses, walked though Fern Gully, climbed Dunns River Falls, visited Margaritaville (a wild place compared to those in the States), etc., but not sure what there is to do in Falmouth. 

Yay for the sun!

I'm sure you were glad to see it.

That's great that you got so many rides on the Aqua Duck. That's a definite advantage to a 7 night cruise.  People have more of a chance to ride it and aren't all competing with each other to ride.

I am not sure what the actual camera policy is on the Aqua Duck. On the Dream, I have used mine right out in the open, but on our last cruise heard the Go Pro thing.  Also, they were experimenting with an automatic ride camera on the first hill of the ride.  I guess they gave up on that idea.

Looking forward to the photos from Falmouth.  I've never been, and I'm not sure I know anyone who has been to that city on the island.

TCD

Looking forward to you going ashore at Falmouth.  I've been to Jamaica many times, but we've always docked at Ochee.  Toured the coffee fields, visited schoolhouses, walked though Fern Gully, climbed Dunns River Falls, visited Margaritaville (a wild place compared to those in the States), etc., but not sure what there is to do in Falmouth. 

Man it sounds like you've done it all.  This was our first time in Jamaica but because of W we didn't get to do any excursions, we could have left him on the ship at the nursery but we didn't want to do that, instead we opted just to walk around the Cruise port area.

Yay for the sun!

I'm sure you were glad to see it.

That's great that you got so many rides on the Aqua Duck. That's a definite advantage to a 7 night cruise.  People have more of a chance to ride it and aren't all competing with each other to ride.

I am not sure what the actual camera policy is on the Aqua Duck. On the Dream, I have used mine right out in the open, but on our last cruise heard the Go Pro thing.  Also, they were experimenting with an automatic ride camera on the first hill of the ride.  I guess they gave up on that idea.

Looking forward to the photos from Falmouth.  I've never been, and I'm not sure I know anyone who has been to that city on the island.

TCD

The whole ship was glad to see it!  Its funny even though it was still cloudy that morning you could hear people every where talking about how much of a relief it was that the rain was over.

Yeah the Aqua Duck was a lot easier to ride if you were flexible, it still got a long line at certain points but nothing to crazy.  Actually if we ever saw a line on the stairs we considered that too long.

I heard people in line talking about the aqua duck pictures and I remember looking for them and seeing what I thought was a flash but we never saw the pictures.

I think I'm going to disappoint on Falmouth, we didn't leave the cruise port area so we didn't see the old city, which I guess is small but has some historic houses.  From what I ready most people have to be driven across the island to the main attractions that Gwen mentioned.

So can you leave the fenced in area of Falmouth?  It sounds like they created a safe and sanitized but phony version of Jamaica there....like Disney World!  

Oh yeah you can leave the fenced in area, there are excursion that will take you to all the typical Jamaica stuff, or you can walk out of the fence to catch a taxi.

You are right this is more of a safe phony version of Jamaica but honestly I'm not complaining about that.  I've always heard that Jamaica was bad about pan handlers and people offering to sell you souvenirs and drugs, I don't know how much of that is true but since we had W with us we were fine with staying in the phony area.

That reminds me on a previous cruise Rotan, Honduras had the same thing, it was a brand new cruise port that was fenced in and super nice so we never saw the real island.

When in Jamaica you are always safe on a tour with Peat Taylor.  He is an amazing tour guide.  You will see the tourist sites but also the real Jamaica.

That's good to know, I'm sure I'll be back one day and might check him out.

Thanks,

WBI

I left off with us enjoying the ship, relaxing, playing and eating, and this post is going to be more of that!

I'm not sure if my pictures got out of order or if we went back but here's more of Nemo's Reef splash area.
June3%20135.jpg

June3%20136.jpg

W loves stairs:
June3%20137.jpg

Looking out at Funnel Vision:
June320138.jpg

June3%20139.jpg

June320140.jpg

June320141.jpg

June3%20142.jpg

June3%20143.jpg

June3%20144.jpg

June3%20145.jpg

Evidently I took a lot of pictures at Nemo's Reef:
June3%20146.jpg

As we walked over to the Aqua Lab I took these pictures of Falmouth:
June3%20147.jpg

I think just past the long building with the red roof is where there's a fence to separate things.

Here's the view on the other side of the ship, notice how muddy the water looks, I'm not sure why.
June3%20148.jpg

June3%20149.jpg

Aqua Duck:
June3%20150.jpg

Aqua Lab:

June3%20151.jpg

While sitting and relaxing with some nice beverages, I think Jungle Book ended and then some trivia started on Funnel Vision.

TCD posted some of these from his Dream cruise in 2013 and since I re-read his report before this cruise I can tell you that they still use the same trivia questions.

June3%20152.jpg

June3%20153.jpg

June3%20154.jpg

Surely everyone knows that one because I didn't take a picture of the answer.

Eventually we got some pizza, fried shrimp and fries and headed to the room to get ready to go ashore.

June3%20182.jpg

Out on the balcony I took some more pictures of our neighbor:

June3%204.jpg

June3%205.jpg

Then we got ready and headed down to Deck 1 to disembark.

June3%206.jpg

Family shot (thank you stranger for taking our picture)

June3%207.jpg

Here's one of the back of my head for some reason:

June3%208.jpg

June3%209.jpg

June3%2010.jpg

Here we are walking through the customs house

June3%2011.jpg

And just outside it opens up:

June3%2012.jpg

I'll continue touring around Falmouth in the next post.

WBI

So do we!

I agree you can't think too much about what it is, but it sure is tasty. 

That dinner did seem super early, but on the other hand it was nice to have dinner and then go to the show after or do other things.  It did seem rushed sometimes but I've also heard that the late seating seems really slow and long.  Either way with our little guy we'll be sticking with early seating's for a while.

We always chose late seating on previous cruises too but you are right those long dinners cause you to be there really late.  On one cruise I have a picture of me almost asleep at dinner, it was a combination of being super tired, super late and a food coma from all the good food.

The restaurant was really neat and interactive.

Yeah that couch/bed really had us curious, it took a couple days but we finally asked what was up.

WBI

Conch is tough and chewey, that is why you usually find it in chowder or fritters and I love both, however a long time ago at least 50 years there was a restaurant in the Keys that served conch steak. It was run through a machine that tenderized it similar to cubed steak and it was still a little tough. We also could get Green Turtle steak at that time

The decorations for the Aqua Duck and the Nemo water area are very cute!   Funny thing about cloudy days and no rain, I grew up in the Pacific NW and come Spring... if it was cloudy, but no rain and near 65 degrees, we were celebrating!  Heck.... if it was 65 degrees and the sun was out, watch out, we pasty folks were bringing out the shorts and tank tops  :lol:

I'm slacking on updates today but I'm going to try and post two now.

I left off with us getting off the ship in Falmouth Jamaica and starting to explore the newish cruise area.

We made our way down the shops but since we didn't need any jewelry we didn't stop until we got to the Tortuga Rum Cakes shop, where we sampled but didn't buy.  You can buy the same rum cakes in Publix in Florida and I think they are way cheaper too.

I'm pretty sure there's a famous Fiend that once bought a set of rum cakes on a cruise and had to carry them all over and then found out how much cheaper they were in Florida.

Right next to the rum cakes was Blue Mountain coffee.   I had no clue but I guess coffee is a big thing here and they had Blue Mountain Coffee for sell everywhere.

CP was going to buy us some but when she saw it was over $20 for a normal size bag of it she changed her mind.

We continued wondering around and W and I stopped to listen to some music.

June3%2013.jpg

June3%2014.jpg

Looking up at the ship towering over the shops.
June3%2015.jpg

I believe these golf carts were to take you up  to the gate to catch a taxi or meet your excursion.
June3%2016.jpg

Back in the center of things we found this clock and you can see behind it, Margaritaville.
June3%2017.jpg

June3%2018.jpg

We decided to check it out.
June3%2019.jpg

This guy was out front posing for pictures:
June3%2020.jpg

After crossing the ship we found this shark off to the left.
June3%2021.jpg

Cool sign:
June3%2022.jpg

W found a chair to climb on:
June3%2023.jpg

June3%2024.jpg

June3%2025.jpg

Selfie attempt, but W liked splashing the dirty water too much.
June3%2031.jpg

Then we walked over to the pool area.  Evidently in the Caribbean its a thing for Margaritaville's to have a pool or ocean swimming area and a dj playing loud music and trying to get people to dance.  Luckily this dj was outside so not near as loud as Grand Cayman.

The pool, which I guess is open to anyone:
June3%2026.jpg

June3%2027.jpg

June3%2028.jpg

While CP ordered a margarita, W and I checked out the dancers
June3%2029.jpg

Most are tourist but there were some Jamaican dancers in the middle.  They are doing some dance to some song I'd never heard of, but isn't it funny how all these dances look kind of like line dancing?
June3%2029.jpg

June3%2030.jpg

June3%20160.jpg

June3%20161.jpg

June3%20162.jpg

Here's the dancers during a song break:

June3%20158.jpg

Oh and here's my lost shaker of salt:

June3%20159.jpg

They had a pretty nice gift shop here too with a separate rum tasting place inside.

June3%20157.jpg

CP's margarita:

June3%20163.jpg

Better shot:

June320164.jpg

Back at the shark fountain we attempted another selfie:

June3%2033.jpg

June3%20166.jpg

June3%20167.jpg

Still cloudy over there:

June3%20168.jpg

W loved that fountain:

June3%20169.jpg

As we walked out we saw these school kids,

June3%20170.jpg

June3%2034.jpg

We walked on looking around:

June3%20172.jpg

I found a bench and made sure it was ok, haha I don't know what kind of face I'm making.

June3%2049.jpg

Duty free shop that CP checked out:

June3%20174.jpg

While CP was in a duty free shop, W and I looked around outside:

June3%2035.jpg

June3%2036.jpg

Looking back towards Margaritaville:

June3%2037.jpg

Hey I know her:

June3%2038.jpg

June3%20175.jpg

At this point W wanted to run and not listen and we had walked enough so we turned and headed back to the ship:

June3%20176.jpg

Looking back those clouds were still rolling in.

June3%20177.jpg

June3%20178.jpg

We walked through the custom house and found they had metal detectors, we walked through with no problem (that also meant the ship didn't use theirs) and found some nice fruit flavored water that DCL setup, then we scanned our cards and were back on the ship.

Ok up next we get ready for pirate night.

Do you think those clouds will mess us up?

WBI

My very first cruise was back in 1988 aboard what was then the largest cruise ship ever made, which was brand new and state of the art- Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas.  Our cabin was the size of a walk-in closet.  There was barely enough floor space for two people to stand at the same time.

TCD

Funny, we were married on the Sovereign of the Seas.   I never noticed the rooms were small :rolleyes:

Too bad RCCL sold her off.....

Nice job getting pics inside the Aqua Duck!

So can you leave the fenced in area of Falmouth?  It sounds like they created a safe and sanitized but phony version of Jamaica there....like Disney World!  

When we docked in Ocho Rios (a bunch of years ago), the area near the dock was very much like that too, complete with Margaritaville.

:SmileyMargarita1:

You are right this is more of a safe phony version of Jamaica but honestly I'm not complaining about that.  I've always heard that Jamaica was bad about pan handlers and people offering to sell you souvenirs and drugs...

We were there 10+ years ago and the rap then was that they'd cleaned up the panhandlers near Ocho Rios a bunch.  While that may have been true, we took an excursion to climb Dunns River Falls and the path back to the bus went right through a "craft village"... which appeared to be where they relocated all the panhandlers to.  Oh and on our way back from the bus to the boat, right before they led us through the "Disney World version of Jamaica" back to the ship, a random guy approached DH about buying something... he was too surprised to recall exactly what it was. But DH is probably that last person you're going to see walking down the street where you think "hey that guy will probably buy drugs."  :rofl2:

we didn't stop until we got to the Tortuga Rum Cakes shop, where we sampled but didn't buy.  You can buy the same rum cakes in Publix in Florida and I think they are way cheaper too.

See now this is information I can use in my every day life!  I love Tortuga Rum Cakes and will be stocking up when we head south this October.  :D

When you posted the picture of the RC cruise ship, I suddenly started envisioning a bunch of cheerleaders on the decks of both ships chanting back and forth to each other. You know kinda like they do at high school basketball games.

The DCL ships engage in "horn battles" with cruise ships in port. I think those may have stopped since the Dream started sailing, and no other ships could come close.

When we docked in Ocho Rios (a bunch of years ago), the area near the dock was very much like that too, complete with Margaritaville.

This is one of my pet peeves with Caribbean cruises. These days, the port areas have become indistinguishable from each other. Every port has the same stores and the same restaurants. Boring.

See now this is information I can use in my every day life!  I love Tortuga Rum Cakes and will be stocking up when we head south this October.  :D

You don't need to head south. You can buy them on Amazon for cheaper than you can in most tourist destinations, and with a large enough order get free shipping to boot.

I once carried one of those six packs of rum cakes all over Nassau, and off the ship to bring home only to find that I paid more than I would have if I had bought them on Amazon!  And, I'll bet the inventory on Amazon moves a lot faster than it does in those little shops on the island, so your rum cakes are likely to be fresher.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Tortuga-Caribbean-Six-Pack-4-Ounce-Cake/dp/B000JGLE0U/ref=pd_sim_325_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=18X5D6PXT55EQ3GBDE22 

TCD

You don't need to head south. You can buy them on Amazon for cheaper than you can in most tourist destinations, and with a large enough order get free shipping to boot.

I once carried one of those six packs of rum cakes all over Nassau, and off the ship to bring home only to find that I paid more than I would have if I had bought them on Amazon!  And, I'll bet the inventory on Amazon moves a lot faster than it does in those little shops on the island, so your rum cakes are likely to be fresher.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Tortuga-Caribbean-Six-Pack-4-Ounce-Cake/dp/B000JGLE0U/ref=pd_sim_325_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=18X5D6PXT55EQ3GBDE22 

TCD

Thanks TCD!  I haven't bought them in ages. The last time I slogged them all over the place on a cruise too.  At one time I tried to buy them online direct from the manufacturer, but that was way too pricey.  Not sure why I never thought to look on Amazon - EVERYTHING is on Amazon.  :)

I haven't seen you guys wear your shirts that point at strangers yet...I'm with that guy, she's with him, my parents are over there...

haha no we didn't bring those shirts this trip, they were long sleeve so it was a little too warm for them.

But we were just looking at those pictures yesterday trying to find a good family shot from our last DW trip and wouldn't you know the best one of us in those shirts is when we are on the wrong sides pointing at other people.  lol

Funny, we were married on the Sovereign of the Seas.   I never noticed the rooms were small :rolleyes:

Too bad RCCL sold her off.....

Wow really, that's great!

Caught back up again.

When you posted the picture of the RC cruise ship, I suddenly started envisioning a bunch of cheerleaders on the decks of both ships chanting back and forth to each other. You know kinda like they do at high school basketball games.

Rum cakes...yummm

haha I could see that because of the way they are docked side by side, luckily there wasn't any chanting on the ships.

Nice job getting pics inside the Aqua Duck!

:SmileyMargarita1:

We were there 10+ years ago and the rap then was that they'd cleaned up the panhandlers near Ocho Rios a bunch.  While that may have been true, we took an excursion to climb Dunns River Falls and the path back to the bus went right through a "craft village"... which appeared to be where they relocated all the panhandlers to.  Oh and on our way back from the bus to the boat, right before they led us through the "Disney World version of Jamaica" back to the ship, a random guy approached DH about buying something... he was too surprised to recall exactly what it was. But DH is probably that last person you're going to see walking down the street where you think "hey that guy will probably buy drugs."  :rofl2:

Thanks!

That's pretty much what I've always heard from people that go to Jamaica about the people approaching you.  I bet they do try to keep those people away from the cruise areas for business sake but it sounds like if you want to explore then you'll probably run into them.

The DCL ships engage in "horn battles" with cruise ships in port. I think those may have stopped since the Dream started sailing, and no other ships could come close.

You know we had watched videos of that before we cruised and there were even a few times they announced that they would play all their horns but we hardly ever heard them.  I remember one time specifically being on the balcony when they were supposed to blow it and we never heard it.  I'm not saying they didn't it could have been that we just couldn't hear it down there.

This is one of my pet peeves with Caribbean cruises. These days, the port areas have become indistinguishable from each other. Every port has the same stores and the same restaurants. Boring.

I started to disagree with you because each port is setup a little differently, but even if they are laid out differently they still all have the same exact stores and restaurants.  I especially don't get all the jewelry stores.  You really have to venture out away from the port to get any kind of real feel for the place. 

TCD

Haha for some reason that story of you and those rum cakes has stuck with me over the years and that's why I mentioned it above.  I knew you could buy them in groceries stores but I never thought of Amazon, that's good to know.

Thanks TCD!  I haven't bought them in ages. The last time I slogged them all over the place on a cruise too.  At one time I tried to buy them online direct from the manufacturer, but that was way too pricey.  Not sure why I never thought to look on Amazon - EVERYTHING is on Amazon.  :)

Yeah I never thought of Amazon either but they do have everything!

WBI