Rumor: Disney America in VA Back?

File this one in the "big fat rumor" department for now...

https://athensschool.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/the-real-story-behind-the-sweetbriar-closing-disney-america-is-back/

Excerpt...

According to our source, the reason Sweet Briar is closing is to make way for:

america_logo.gif?w=300&h=170

In 1994, Disney was all set to close on 2,000 acres in Haymarket in as the core to its envisioned 3,000-acre Disney America in Prince William County. That deal was scuttled, but Disney is on the record as keeping its plans alive to set Disney America in Virginia. Riley over at Virginia Virtucon was openly calling for Disney to revive its Disney America design in the Williamsburg area a few years ago. Many in Virginia consider the protests and objections that forced Disney to shut down its plans 20 years ago a big mistake.  Our source has informed us that Disney is ready to rectify that mistake, and now wants the 3,250 acres that Sweet Briar sits on to bring Disney America back to life and back to Virginia.

I just finished that article.

It has some interesting points, and what others say is a conspiracy theory.

My biggest question is, would Disney invest major $$$ building a park in an area where it probably wouldn't be open year round?

Aren't theme parks in that area and further north closed about a 1/3 of the year?

Aren't theme parks in that area and further north closed about a 1/3 of the year?

By way of comparison, Busch Gardens Williamsburg is generally open full-time May-August and weekends only for a month or so on either end of that window.

But then you've got Tokyo Disney, where it averages in the 40s in the winter, and they actually get snow on occasion, and it's open 365.  However they did make concessions for the weather with most line queues being indoors and the "roof" over Main Street.

What this place has in common with Tokyo (and Anaheim) is a huge population base with easy access for day trips.  I could see that being very attractive to Disney.

I've always thought that putting a park in the northeast would really cut into their Florida business. But, their probably too excited about all the cash that will flow in at the beginning to worry about what will happen down the road.

TCD

Take a look at a map of Virginia, noting where Sweet Briar College sits relative to the major population centers and highways of the region.  There is zero chance that Disney would make a huge investment in that area, IMO. 

Sure, when WDW was built, central FL didn't have much population, but it did have excellent highway access which is why Walt chose that land near the intersection of I-4 and the Turnpike.  

sweetbriar.jpg

Take a look at a map of Virginia, noting where Sweet Briar College sits relative to the major population centers and highways of the region.  There is zero chance that Disney would make a huge investment in that area, IMO. 

Sure, when WDW was built, central FL didn't have much population, but it did have excellent highway access which is why Walt chose that land near the intersection of I-4 and the Turnpike.  

sweetbriar.jpg

You make a very good point.

I didn't look at a map, and for some reason I had it in my head that this land was close to Washington DC.

I agree with you- it's too remote.  Maybe something north of the Washington DC area would fly.

TCD

About 10 years ago, many "companies" were making land purchases along the PA/MD border in the Gettysburg/Emmitsburg, MD area.  Scuttlebutt was Disney was behind it but ran into a large tract owner that refused to sale.  Many people in the Emmitsburg area insist the rumor was true. :mellow:

My biggest question is, would Disney invest major $$$ building a park in an area where it probably wouldn't be open year round?

Aren't theme parks in that area and further north closed about a 1/3 of the year?

Sesame Place (langhorne, pa) started out as mainly all water rides but has been slowly adding more and more dry rides to extended their season. They are weekends only for May, Sept and Oct, full time June, July and August. They also have a Christmas thing (Christmas shows, decorations, limited rides) that starts Black Friday and is weekend only (full time during Christmas break) and closes Jan 2. It does really well.

Six flags great adventure (Jackson, Nj) is weekends only April to mid/late May and then is full time until Labor Day, then weekends only until Halloween. This year they are having a Christmas thing too. Hershey park is about the same, and has a Very, very popular Christmas thing.

I think they could pull off a seasonal park and maybe f-m during spring/fall.

I'm all for this, the closer I am to disney, the better

While the area is within a couple of hours drive of multiple metropolitan areas I just don't see Disney moving in there. It seems to me they would be better served if they were closer to the I-95 corridor between Richmond and Alexandria which opens up the drawing of folks that also want to see the historical sites.

So you think Disney could actually get the general public to frequent a park, in not so nice weather, year round. Next, you'll try to tell me they try to get us rubes to pay $100+ for WDW park admission.....oh wait......never mind.

The problem getting land closer to I-95 is finding a big enough track that is un interrupted.

Lynchburn Regional airport has room to expand if i remember correctly. ( Disney could have thier own terminal)

The Amtrak line is right off the property on the other side of US-29.  CSX has a line from hampton roads to  lynchburg.

I-95 betwene Baltimore and Richmond is a parkling lot most of the time, and I believe the state has plans to expand/ improve US-29, which they could use the Disney excuse to have the feds foot the bill. That combined with improving US-15 would help take a large number of car/trucks off I-95. It would be a long day drive from St Loius, Chicago, and the NE. With VA 60 being the only non interstate.

With all that said, I can't see it happening.

And the rumor goes BOOM!

Agreement reached to keep Sweet Briar open

Sweet Briar College will stay open next academic year under a mediation agreement announced today by the state attorney general's office.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/article_4b2f03d8-a089-5f8c-9c39-6faa19da07ce.html

• 1 month later...

An interesting article on Disney's America...

This is the Most Controversial Disney Theme Park Ever Conceived

Disney’s America was supposed to contain nine lands, more commonly referred to as “territories.” Each would honor a certain era of a certain part of the United States.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20150720/30426/birth-decay-and-destruction-disneys-america

An interesting article on Disney's America...

This is the Most Controversial Disney Theme Park Ever Conceived

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20150720/30426/birth-decay-and-destruction-disneys-America

Wow, that is a very elaborate rumor!  I don't recall ever hearing that a lot of the original California Adventure attractions were swiped and recycled from this concept.  Very interesting.  It's a good thing it never got built- it sounds very boring.

TCD