Just purchased our first camper and wanted to share my experience that I had.

We started looking in January and went to an RV show, they didn't have the floor plans we were interested in, as a matter of fact they only had the A-frame pop ups, no traditional ones

off to Craig's list and RV trader we go...

I'd see one pop up here and there, but they were too old, or too damaged for what i was looking for.

Id called the Local dealers like camping world and they just didn't listen to me, my only interest was a pop up and they were trying to sell me a hybrid.

I went to another dealer who had 1 used pop up on site, a 2005 E2... in rough shape, I inquired about the price just to see where they were at and he was asking $7500, I soon left there.

I started to expand my search radius and started working with Lazydays just out side of Tampa, Camping world of Bartow as its in the area of Lazydays and Rv one of Tampa/ Orlando.

All of them Actually listened to what i was looking for and offered up floor plans to meet the requirements, no up selling.

we decided on the Forrest River Rockwood Premier 2516G as the floor plan we liked, so that kicked out Camping world as they didn't carry it, as well as "their advertised price is the best price" on a comparable star craft model.

So now were down to Lazydays vs RV one, but wait, General RV has a used one they just took in, not exactly the 2516G, it was a 2011 rockwood 2280, I called them on Sunday Morning, yes its in stock, no we wont take a deposit, but ill call you before we close today as your planning on being her Monday morning as its a 2 hour drive.

I call them at 4:45, as they haven't called and they are closing in 15 min, to find out it was sold... good deal at $6000, I understand but I am pissed they would not take a deposit to hold it for 24 hours till i could get there Monday.

another week goes by and a used 2009 2516G shows up on RV trader, they are asking $6950, I email and call get some answers, find out the price is not firm and they are willing to entertain an offer.

6 days later( Saturday) we drive to look at the unit, its already setup, and looks good from far, but as I inspect it I find that its far from good.  There is a V shaped slice in the window area that was not disclosed nor could it be seen in the pics as they used packing tape to repair it.  The tires are 6 years old and show signs if rot, the battery it not taking a charge, there are the usual scrapes and scratches on the interior, and then we find water damage on the drivers side lifting post at the roof connection point.  The bolt is at a 20 degree angle from where it needs to be, and the wood is swelling.  I look at the owner and ask if the $6000 discussed was firm and he said he was, I soon walked away as I could see easily $2000 in repairs/ replacement parts needed.  At this point I was down, drove 2 hours, kids were excited for daddy to bring home a camper, and well we had nothing hitched up.  I was with my dad, and he suggested since were near Lazydays to head over there.

I call the sales guy I was dealing with, and he was at lunch but sent over another guy, we hop in the golf cart, go find the unit we had been talking about over the past month, I look at it and instantly know i want it.

The MSRP was north of $17,000 as it has all the bells and whistles on it, the sale price was $14,300 before tax tag and title, roughly 15% off of MSRP.  We grab lunch while the salesman goes to "sharpen his pencil on the numbers"

We sit down and he puts a figure of almost $15,000 for the unit out the door, still in my opinion not a bad deal, but more than i was wanting to spend.  I plop $6,000 cash on the counter, remember that other trailer we looked at... I was paying cash for it... and tell him I am serious, go get me a better number.  He leaves for a a few moment, and right now I am looking up past emails from the other dealer RVOne/ rv direct and their prices on this unit were in the low $13K range with out AC installed, so to be fair i was looking at 13,800 before tax tag and title for the same unit from another dealer so were not that far off, and that is RV directs best number, and i would have to wait for it to come in.

The sales guy comes back and says the best he can do, with the AC installed is $13,100 Plus tax tag title and dealer fee, so our out the door Price is $14,122.58  that's only $122.58 more than what i was expecting to spend, so we do the deal ( roughly 25% off MSRP I tried for 30% but no one would talk to me).

My dad is with me, and he has had his fair share of campers in his life, he said that in all his years of buying RV's this was by far the smoothest and easiest process he has experienced. 

the Finance team tells me to not put the $6,000 down, only do $4,000 as a loan at 10,000 would have a better term and interest rate, I checked it on my phone and with my bank, sure enough he wasn't pulling my leg.

we then go to insurance, i already had a quote for the used camper we were looking at, $198 for the year, they crunch the numbers and Lazydays comes out with 128 for the year, deal!

go for inspection, find a few minor issues that will take a week or 2 to fix(parts availability)  and they have to install the A/C, detail it ect ect.  they then offer to Deliver it to my home when its all set so i don't need to make the drive back up to Tampa when its ready, I was willing but hey save me the gas money/ time

All things considered, I feel like i got a fair deal, and would recommend working with Lazydays

That's a cool tip on the financing, cause now that you've got the loan, you can immediately pay the other 2K and still have the same amount financed with the lower APR

yes Sir/ma'am !  at $10K payment is $110/ month at 5.49%

at $8K it would have been a shorter term 84 month, and a rate of 7.25% for a cost of $148/month  

I am going to put the $2k as my first payment on it, and plan on paying $2-300/ month except in December and January ill make the normal payment( bills at that time of year with 2 kids adds up) 

yes its a 10 year loan, I plan of having it gone in 3-4

WOW sounds like you did your homework!!!!!!!! Good for you and glad you got a great deal and a nice camper. Checkout the Forest River Owner forum some good folks there and a few are also here on this site also.