New "Escape to Walt's Wilderness Tour" includes Discovery Island

If you're a DVC member with $109 burning a hole in your pocket, there's a new WDW tour being offered which will allow you visit Discovery Island!

Check it out:

If your tastes cater more into exploring Disney history, then look to “Escape to Walt’s Wilderness” for an inside glance at what it was that convinced Walt Disney to build Walt Disney World in Central Florida. This guided tour will first whisk you away via pontoons on Bay Lake to explore the landing of Discovery Island and end at the shore of Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. From there, enjoy a delicious breakfast and travel by horse-drawn wagon to the horse barn to meet the celebrity horses you’ve seen in our Theme Parks and finish the trip with trying your hand at archery. Enjoy this new offering before the general public with exclusive dates for Members and Guests:

- When: Available 2 days a week beginning at 8 am
           - Tours last four hours
   - Who: Guests ages 7+
   - Where: Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
   - Disney Vacation Club Member Dates: July 15 and 16, 2015
   - Cost: $109 (plus tax) for all Guests
   - Make Reservations Beginning: June 26, 2015

https://dvcmember.disney.go.com/post/professional-development-courses-13715?CMP=SOC-FBPAGE20150619150000

TCD

The description says you get to see the "landing" on Discovery Island.  So, I think guests will just see a very small part of the island.

I agree that breakfast will more than likely be at Trail's End, and the wagon ride is going to be short- unless they take the wagon around a loop or two, which wouldn't be hard to do.

Don't forget they are also throwing in archery.  I assume that will be in the same area that they have been doing it behind the Bike Barn, but maybe they'll set it up somewhere around the horse barn to save the logistics of getting guests there.

TCD

The description says you get to see the "landing" on Discovery Island.  So, I think guests will just see a very small part of the island.

I agree that breakfast will more than likely be at Trail's End, and the wagon ride is going to be short- unless they take the wagon around a loop or two, which wouldn't be hard to do.

Don't forget they are also throwing in archery.  I assume that will be in the same area that they have been doing it behind the Bike Barn, but maybe they'll set it up somewhere around the horse barn to save the logistics of getting guests there.

TCD

I also noticed that they said the landing, and didn't say you would actually explore the island. 

They will probably set up the archery in the open field next to the path from the bus stop to the Trails End, and use the low life campers as moving targets.

I also noticed that they said the landing, and didn't say you would actually explore the island. 

They will probably set up the archery in the open field next to the path from the bus stop to the Trails End, and use the low life campers as moving targets.

I have cracked up at this.  I can visualize it now...they could even have golf cart bumper cars...too funny.

• 1 month later...

The Disney Parks Blog posted a blub about this new tour a few days ago.

There are some more details provided, and it seems that they are backing away from the suggestion that the tour participants will visit Discovery Island.  That little detail isn't even mentioned in the blog description:

Guests Go Off-The-Beaten Path with New Escape to Walt’s Wilderness Resort Offering

Does gliding across the lake on a peaceful morning, hiking through the wilderness, sharing stories about Disney heritage, or riding in a horse-drawn wagon sound appealing to you? The new Escape to Walt’s Wilderness offers an off-the-beaten-path experience ideal for the whole family.

wilderness-613x409.jpg

The journey begins with a pontoon boat tour from Disney’s Contemporary Resort marina with a Disney guide who shares stories about Walt’s love of the outdoors and nature. He tells us we are about to “walk in Walt’s footsteps and see why he was determined to choose this place for his next Disneyland.” Unbeknownst to me, Central Florida had personal appeal to Walt as this was where his parents met many moons ago. And as we pushed off the dock to explore Bay Lake we also learned that while Walt never had the chance to see the completion of Walt Disney World Resort, he did indeed sail across this same lake before he passed.

The adventure continues with a quest for native Florida wildlife. Two pontoon boats carrying about ten guests each are equipped with wildlife guides and binoculars to seek out the many varieties that call Bay Lake home. Birds and bald eagles soar, dragonflies buzz about, fragrant moss and lily pads connect you to the surroundings and allow you to reflect on the sheer beauty of the environment. We were exploring nature, just like Walt loved to do.

0702ZV_0386TA-613x434.jpg

Once the boat is beached, the group is welcomed by a giant bonfire and camp-style breakfast. Locally sourced citrus salad, egg frittata, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, granola, coffee and juice make for a nice feast. And what’s a campfire without marshmallows for roasting. Next, a pair of field horses pulling a wagon enter the scene for transport to an archery lesson in a woodsy field at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. A short hike in the woods past the train tracks from the former Fort Wilderness Railroad is where we discover Walt’s fascination with trains.

0702ZV_0426TA-613x376.jpg

Next stop is Tri-Circle-D Ranch where “ranch hands” share stories about how horses have been incorporated into Disney theme parks since day one. Guests have a chance to view the horses in a natural environment, learn about how they are cared for, and get up close with these majestic animals. There’s lot of surprises throughout the immersive, half-day trek, especially the legends and tales that unfold along the way.

0702ZV_0617TA-613x415.jpg

The program is typically offered two days a week from 8 a.m.– 1 p.m. on select days. The cost is $109, plus tax for ages 7 and older. Complimentary transportation to and from the experience is provided for guests staying at Disney owned and operated resort hotels. To book or for more information, call 407-WDW-PLAY.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/07/guests-go-off-the-beaten-path-with-new-escape-to-walts-wilderness-resort-offering/

Now we know that breakfast is not the Trail's End buffet.

And did you catch the part about roasting marshmallows at a "giant bonfire?"  In the morning?  How is that going to work?

(that's a rhetorical question by the way- I have a pretty solid theory about the campfire logistics).

TCD

Seems a bit pricey for what we'd get I think.  

You are being too kind.

It sounds like a huge rip-off to me.  You can see Bay Lake for free from one of the launches, and poke around the barn all you like too.  If you really want to do archery, you can do that for a lot less than $100.  Heck, you could probably buy your own bow and arrows for that price.  And that breakfast?  You get more food with one of the Bounty Breakfasts they sell at all the quick serve locations for $10 (which is also a rip-off, but to a lesser extent).

It's sounds lovely. Did they take out the archery too ?

No- that is mentioned:  " . . . Next, a pair of field horses pulling a wagon enter the scene for transport to an archery lesson in a woodsy field . . ."  What I don't know is where this woodsy field is.

I'd hate to pay this price and get that breakfast (which I wouldn't eat).

I'd eat the breakfast, but I'd probably still be hungry afterward.

TCD

No- that is mentioned:  " . . . Next, a pair of field horses pulling a wagon enter the scene for transport to an archery lesson in a woodsy field . . ."  What I don't know is where this woodsy field is.

TCD

I think one area they are using is over by the Bat House.  When we were camping at the Fort last weekend, we walked the trail along the water starting at the Settlement Trading Post heading towards the Bat House.  When we got to the area just prior to the fence blocking access to the Bat House, there was a covered table and several "TeePee" like structures set up in sandy field area between the woods and the lake.  There were also containers of some sort of supplies at each "teepee" and they were covered.  There was also a firepit.  I am assuming this is the location of the fire and perhaps more.

Whoops. Guess I need to brush up on my reading skills.

I found the whole post hard to read.  Too much flowery language tying to make this tour sound more appealing than it really is.

I think one area they are using is over by the Bat House.  When we were camping at the Fort last weekend, we walked the trail along the water starting at the Settlement Trading Post heading towards the Bat House.  When we got to the area just prior to the fence blocking access to the Bat House, there was a covered table and several "TeePee" like structures set up in sandy field area between the woods and the lake.  There were also containers of some sort of supplies at each "teepee" and they were covered.  There was also a firepit.  I am assuming this is the location of the fire and perhaps more.

Hey, you're stealing some of my thunder.  I have some photos to post of some things I saw in this area over the 4th of July weekend.  I saw the firepit and some picnic tables (and some other stuff), but not these tri-pods.  I imagine those might have been the archery targets.  Do you have photos, by chance?

TCD

There are some more details provided, and it seems that they are backing away from the suggestion that the tour participants will visit Discovery Island.  That little detail isn't even mentioned in the blog description:

Not too surprising. I can't imagine they've bothered to clean up the stuff that was just abandoned out there just so that people could "tour" around for a few minutes.

Interesting!

Looks like they're using the same snazzy lunch containers that they use for the Wild Africa Trek.

We were all around the island today. We rented a boat. Then we are taking the scenic route on the boat to magic kingdom, very little signs of use or life there. Snapped this pic there earlier...

D369DF61-B79F-4136-8B11-38833546C332_zps

Great job with that photo.  That is part of the old entry area for Discovery Island.  There used to be a long dock that connected with this building, about the size of the dock at the Fort Wilderness marina.  But the dock is gone. Here's an excerpt from a post in my most recent TR where I discussed the feasibility of boats of guests even being able to dock at Discovery Island:

This one shows the building at the landing where guests used to enter the park after docking at the long dock that used to extend out into the lake. As you can see, there is no dock:

6%2027%2015%20068_zpsigc62ss9.jpg

There used to be a dock.

You can see it here in this 2001 aerial photo:

di%20dock%202001_zpsind0oixa.jpg

It was still there in 2004:

di%20dock%202004_zpspyfff4gp.jpg

But it disappeared somewhere between 2006 and 2007:

di%20dock%202007_zpsrd3g7xkf.jpg

The other dock has an old backyard storage shed on it:

6%2027%2015%20070_zpsbmbngacv.jpg

The bottom line is that I don't see any place on the so-called "Discovery Island Landing" where it would be safe to dock a boat to load and unload guests for them to "explore the landing," as the DVC blurb suggested.  It's significant to note again that the Disney Parks Blog write-up makes no mention of anyone being able to explore the landing on the island.

TCD

Hey, you're stealing some of my thunder.  I have some photos to post of some things I saw in this area over the 4th of July weekend.  I saw the firepit and some picnic tables (and some other stuff), but not these tri-pods.  I imagine those might have been the archery targets.  Do you have photos, by chance?

TCD

No, thunder stealing intended!   :lol:   I didn't get any pictures.  Had my phone with me but never took any.  The tripods were built with PVC piping and were not covered.  Each had a covered milk carton type container under them.  Not sure what was in there.  If I get back soon, I'll get some pictures. 

No, thunder stealing intended!   :lol:   I didn't get any pictures.  Had my phone with me but never took any.  The tripods were built with PVC piping and were not covered.  Each had a covered milk carton type container under them.  Not sure what was in there.  If I get back soon, I'll get some pictures. 

I'll probably post some photos later today.  They just show the campfire area.  I am not sure where the PVC tripods you saw were in relation to that.  I may need to get out there to see for myself!

TCD

There was one small area where it appeared they could get off with the old shed by it but definitely not Disney safe. Also so overgrown with vegetation that you would think you were in a jungle. You could still definitely see structures in tact on the island but there's no way I would go on it unless we had been heavily drinking around the world.

OK- here's an excerpt from my July 4th TR which shows the campfire area set up behind the 300 loop.  At the time, I thought this was set up for some kind of private fireworks party.  But, after reading the Disney Parks Blog post, I now think this is the set up for the campfire and breakfast for the tour:

Now, let's take a look at the stuff that was set up in the clearing.  As you can see, there are a few picnic tables:

7%204%2015%20018_zpsdguw7bvq.jpg

And some trash barrels and something else:

7%204%2015%20019_zpsgz0tsuvw.jpg

Now, what do you think this is?:

7%204%2015%20020_zpsewdnb3ef.jpg

I really didn't know.

But I needed to.

Don't tell anyone, but I slid the black trash bag up a bit so I could see what was going on under there:

7%204%2015%20021_zpspxhpqdnh.jpg

Now do you see what it is?

It's a handwashing sink.

Why?

The trash barrels were empty, and there was a table or something under that plastic:

7%204%2015%20022_zpseqvcf0yc.jpg

Here's a look at the table.  It looks like it could be a bar, or maybe just a station from which to serve food and drinks:

7%204%2015%20023_zpsjaldwjym.jpg

That fire ring is like the ones used at the Meadow Campfire area:

7%204%2015%20024_zpsflbyha6o.jpg

It hadn't been used for a fire lately:

7%204%2015%20025_zpswwmg3ft3.jpg

A look at the whole set-up:

7%204%2015%20026_zpsdwtqzddb.jpg

This area is where the horse wagon stops when taking guests on a fireworks wagon ride.  The view of the MK fireworks from here is great:

7%204%2015%20027_zpso7exvyi8.jpg

My initial reaction to all of this was that it was set up for a private party to come out here by a horse wagon and have a private campfire while enjoying the fireworks.

TCD