Walt Disney Bio Coming to PBS

Roy O. Disney was born June 24, 1893 in Chicago, IL. In 1923, Roy and his younger brother, Walt started Disney Bros. Studios, which would go on to become Walt Disney Studios in 1926.

Our bio on Walt Disney comes to PBS this September.

(Photo: Walt Disney Family Museum)

11060017_10153442254579122_3178487798953

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanExperience/photos/a.85074704121.105554.7100914121/10153442254579122/?type=1&theater

• 1 month later...

More promotion from PBS, including video about how American Expericience was able to get what they're calling "unprecedented access" to the Disney archives.  Follow the link for video...

PBS shared American Experience's video.
23 hrs ·

From American Experience: "The challenge is, Disney is both a person and a brand."

Executive Producer Mark Samels explains how American Experience was able to gain unprecedented access to the Disney archives in order to tell the in-depth story of Walt Disney.

"Walt Disney" premieres September 14 and 15 at 9/8c on PBS. See more video at pbs.org/waltdisney

"The challenge is, Disney is both a person and a brand."

Executive Producer Mark Samels explains how American Experience was able to gain unprecedented access to the Disney archives in order to tell the in-depth story of Walt Disney.

"Walt Disney" premieres September 14 and 15 at 9/8c on PBS. See more video at pbs.org/waltdisney

https://www.facebook.com/pbs/posts/10153122665282169

• 2 weeks later...

There was a panel at the D23 Expo on the making of this film.  A few tidbits...

MousePlanet at D23 @MPatD23Expo 17h17 hours ago

Filmmakers worked closely with Walt Disney Archives but Disney had no editorial control over film

Neal Gabler: film takes honest objective look at a complex man

Don Hahn: one word that comes to mind again and again over course of four hour film is "persistence"

Film will feature never before seen footage from Art Babbitt's personal 16 mm collection

MousePlanet at D23 @MPatD23Expo 16h16 hours ago

Director & Producer Sarah Colt spent 4 hours in @WDFMuseum with Diane Disney Miller as a personal guide

• 2 weeks later...

From Inside The Magic...

New preview from upcoming PBS documentary “Walt Disney”, why Snow White was the ideal 1930s woman

in Disney, Television

Posted on August 26, 2015by Corinne Andersson

snow-whie.jpg

“Snow White is the perfect embodiment of 1930s culture,” says art historian Carmenita Higginbotham. In this original interview, Higginbotham explains how Walt Disney’s Snow White was a reflection of American women during the Great Depression.

“Walt Disney” the documentary about the man, not the company premieres September 14 & 15 at 9/8c on PBS American Experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zbelcw1Aw

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/08/video-new-preview-from-upcoming-pbs-documentary-walt-disney-why-snow-white-was-the-ideal-1930s-woman/

• 2 weeks later...

We watched.  It was really well done, a lot of footage I haven't seen before, and a really in depth look at Walt's story.

...I read a review on yahoo this morning and said there's something for everyone, those who love Walt and those who hate him.

They're not sugar coating things, which I think is good overall.

Wow, what a great job they did on this!

I was fascinated to hear about things that don't usually get talked about.

Like the unionization of the studio employees and then the big strike.  I understand why that's left out of the history we hear in the One Man's Dream Attraction, but that was a big deal, and had a lasting impact on Walt.

I didn't know that Fantasia, Pinocchio, and Dumbo were all financial flops.

And, I never knew that Walt's famous trip to South America occurred while the strike was going on, and that Roy took advantage of Walt's absence to settle with the workers.  There was a comment about how Roy was happy about that because of Walt's explosive temper.  They gave an example of how Walt had to be separated from one of the employees on strike.  It's strange to me that Walt decided to go on a 10 week trip.  10 weeks.  When all of that was going on.  And then his dad died during that trip.  When the news got to Walt, he decided not to return to the US for the funeral.  What in the world was going on with him?

I didn't know how important the deal Walt made with ABC to broadcast the Disneyland show was, or how Walt revolutionized television.  Without that move, there would be no Disneyland.  And without Disneyland, there would be no WDW.

Even after four hours, I wish there was more.  Walt was a fascinating guy.  His drive and vision were amazing.

I am going to watch the whole thing again.  It was really good.

TCD

One other subject discussed during the film which I found interesting was the direction Walt chose to take on the Song of the South movie, and the very negative reception it received as a result.

I didn't understand the objection to the movie, or why it is not available in the US. After I got the chance to watch it, I didn't get what the big deal was. Now I understand.

Another thing- I found it interesting that Walt branched out into the live action films because his animated films were so expensive, and ticket sales and merchandise were not covering the costs of production.  He fought Roy about that, but Roy won.  That is how Song of the South came about in the first place- it was cheaper to use the live actors than to make a completely animated film.  Walt had to fight to make Cinderella.  Good thing he did.

TCD

I really, really enjoyed it! Although, the 2nd half did seem to spend more time focusing on the negative. Although it didn't cover any of his fight with PL Travers.

I must have missed the part about him "fighting" to make Cinderella, the only dialogue I heard was that he was disappointed in it because they kept the costs down.