Driving from Kingdom to Kingdom

Thanks I'll have to look for that for our next cross country -  it sounds very useful.   Is it only for the US or does it do Canada as well?

Not really sure about Canada my wife reads the book as we go down the highway.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Texas is a BAS 

Proof that I spend way too much time on FF.net.  I got that with hardly a blink.

I wonder if they have a BABH In that BAS

• 1 month later...

I thought I ought to post an update here to thank everyone for the pointers.

We made the trip from Florida to California taking I-10 the whole way.  The only traffic we encountered was some early morning rush hour traffic going through Houston, which was made worse by some construction that was going on at the time.

Otherwise, the roads were good and the traffic not too bad.

We got a lot of use out of the Next Exit book- we found that much easier to use on the fly than fumbling with phones and apps.

We also enjoyed the Buc-eee's stores in Texas.  Wow.

The trip took us three solid days of driving.  We overnighted at hotels in Baytown, TX and Willcox, AZ.   We averaged about 14 hours of driving on the first two days, which left us with just an 8 hour drive on the third day, and had us arriving at our hotel in Anaheim just before 6 pm.

Two things we learned-  1.Texas is a wide state!  About a third of total miles we drove were in Texas.    2.Time zones are messed up in Texas and Arizona.  Texas observes central time throughout the entire state, while Arizona observes mountain standard time year round.  That caused a two hour change in time in less than 200 miles.

TCD

Everything is bigger in Texas.

We share a border with Texas and drive to south padre island Texas ever couple of years. 766 miles one way.

DW and I were talking about going to New Orleans and I said lets drive there. She said its to far. So google mapped it and it's only 731 miles.

Heck it's only 840 miles to gulf shores Alabama.

Glad you had a safe uneventful trip.

Are the twins driving back by themselves?

I'm not sure about the plans for the return trip at this point.  I am going to look into shipping their cars back.  A lot of the roads in Arizona, New Mexico, and western Texas had signs warning that they could ice in cold weather.  Their return will be in early January.  I wouldn't want to drive some of those roads in icy conditions. 

I wonder if they have a BABH In that BAS

LOL.  I'll bet there's a big one somewhere.

Glad you had a safe trip and the book helped. We also find the book easier then using phone's. And there is always traffic and construction in Houston.

Yeah, I figured that about Houston.  It reminded me of the mess known as I-275 in Tampa.  That road has been ripped up and under construction perpetually for the last 30 years it seems.

TCD

I'm not sure about the plans for the return trip at this point.  I am going to look into shipping their cars back.  A lot of the roads in Arizona, New Mexico, and western Texas had signs warning that they could ice in cold weather.  Their return will be in early January.  I wouldn't want to drive some of those roads in icy conditions. 

LOL.  I'll bet there's a big one somewhere.

Yeah, I figured that about Houston.  It reminded me of the mess known as I-275 in Tampa.  That road has been ripped up and under construction perpetually for the last 30 years it seems.

TCD

There's an interstate in Tampa?

I thought it was a remote parking lot for the downtown workers!  :P

There's an interstate in Tampa?

I thought it was a remote parking lot for the downtown workers!  :P

No joke.

Unfortunately, Tampa stands between me and WDW.  It's about a 20 mile drive from my house to the start of I-4 at Malfunction Junction.  If I don't time it right, and sometimes even if I do time it right, it can take me an hour (or more) to drive those 20 miles.  Once I get to I-4, it's a piece of cake.

That drive through Tampa has been bad the entire 35+ years I've lived here, and I don't have any hope of it ever really improving.

TCD

No joke.

Unfortunately, Tampa stands between me and WDW.  It's about a 20 mile drive from my house to the start of I-4 at Malfunction Junction.  If I don't time it right, and sometimes even if I do time it right, it can take me an hour (or more) to drive those 20 miles.  Once I get to I-4, it's a piece of cake.

That drive through Tampa has been bad the entire 35+ years I've lived here, and I don't have any hope of it ever really improving.

TCD

I used to drive it taking the kids to school and then going to work.

I try to stay off it as much as possible now.  About the furthest S I go one 275 is around Sligh.  Even heading N out of the city has gotten bad over the years.

Not exactly sure where you start from, but have you tried shooting over 54 to 75 then S to I-4?

Guy I work with lives near the Boot Ranch area, and that's how he does it just to avoid the junction when they head to DW.

Not exactly sure where you start from, but have you tried shooting over 54 to 75 then S to I-4?

Guy I work with lives near the Boot Ranch area, and that's how he does it just to avoid the junction when they head to DW.

I start from Dunedin, so I'm a bit further south and to the west than your friend from the Boot Ranch area.  Getting to 54 from where I live isn't an easy thing to do.  My only real options are Hillsborough, or heading across the Courtney Campbell.  Both of those involve I-275.  It's not that bad if I can avoid rush hour times.

TCD

I'm not sure about the plans for the return trip at this point. I am going to look into shipping their cars back. A lot of the roads in Arizona, New Mexico, and western Texas had signs warning that they could ice in cold weather. Their return will be in early January. I wouldn't want to drive some of those roads in icy

TCD

I forgot bout the CP.

You could fly me and DW out to Anaheim and we will drive it back to Tampa. Icy roads don't bother us.

Seriously. I wouldn't worry about ice on I-10. Even in January.

I'm sure you don't want them driving by themselves 2500 miles across country. So shipping might not be a bad idea.

I'm not sure about the plans for the return trip at this point. I am going to look into shipping their cars back. A lot of the roads in Arizona, New Mexico, and western Texas had signs warning that they could ice in cold weather. Their return will be in early January. I wouldn't want to drive some of those roads in icy

TCD

I forgot bout the CP.

You could fly me and DW out to Anaheim and we will drive it back to Tampa. Icy roads don't bother us.

Seriously. I wouldn't worry about ice on I-10. Even in January.

I'm sure you don't want them driving by themselves 2500 miles across country. So shipping might not be a bad idea.

I start from Dunedin, so I'm a bit further south and to the west than your friend from the Boot Ranch area.  Getting to 54 from where I live isn't an easy thing to do.  My only real options are Hillsborough, or heading across the Courtney Campbell.  Both of those involve I-275.  It's not that bad if I can avoid rush hour times.

TCD

It might be just as bad as Malfunction, but you could take Hillsborough straight out to I-4 at 301/Fairgrounds.

Just depends on traffic and how many lights you hit.

We are luckier.  We live about a mile from 275, or a straight shot 7 miles to 75 then a 9 mile drive S to I-4 which at times is another parking lot.

Before we were camping again and just going to hotels, I would go out some back roads thru Z-Hills and come out to I-4 at the Championsgate entrance.  If I-4 was backed up there it was more back roads to 192 above the WDW entrance.

It added about a 1/2 hour to the drive, but you got to see countryside, and avoided any of the hour long tie ups when there's an accident on I-4.

I live up near Dallas and I take I-20 from Dallas to Jackson MS and south on 49 to Hattiesburg then 98 to Mobile.  98 in Alabama is either 2 lane or 4 lane and through towns.  It can be a slow ride.  Once you hit Mississippi 49 goes to a nice wide 4 lane.  49 in Mississippi is a little bumpy but not too bad.  I-20 from MS to TX isn't too bad, BUT I-20 or any highway through the DFW area leaves a lot to be desired (To be kind).  Once you’re through Fort Worth the ride gets better.

Taking 10 across to 49 in Louisiana, I don't care for the road, lots of pot holes and actually a longer ride then taking the 98 to 49- to 20 route.  The only advantage is if you have a lead foot.  The speed limit on most of 49 in Louisiana  is 75.  So you can go like heck.  I don't usually take this route, but my son prefers it.

A lot of the reviews sound like 10 to Houston/ San Antonio is a good ride   I have never done that ride but I have driven to both San Antonia and Houston and once I got away from the DFW area I never had a problem.

Good Luck whichever route you choose.  Just remember it is a long ride through TX!

I live up near Dallas and I take I-20 from Dallas to Jackson MS and south on 49 to Hattiesburg then 98 to Mobile.  98 in Alabama is either 2 lane or 4 lane and through towns.  It can be a slow ride.  Once you hit Mississippi 49 goes to a nice wide 4 lane.  49 in Mississippi is a little bumpy but not too bad.  I-20 from MS to TX isn't too bad, BUT I-20 or any highway through the DFW area leaves a lot to be desired (To be kind).  Once you’re through Fort Worth the ride gets better.

Taking 10 across to 49 in Louisiana, I don't care for the road, lots of pot holes and actually a longer ride then taking the 98 to 49- to 20 route.  The only advantage is if you have a lead foot.  The speed limit on most of 49 in Louisiana  is 75.  So you can go like heck.  I don't usually take this route, but my son prefers it.

A lot of the reviews sound like 10 to Houston/ San Antonio is a good ride   I have never done that ride but I have driven to both San Antonia and Houston and once I got away from the DFW area I never had a problem.

Good Luck whichever route you choose.  Just remember it is a long ride through TX!

Thanks for the info.  We completed the trip last week- taking 10 the whole way.  No problems with the road or traffic, except Houston traffic early in the morning of day two.

I forgot to mention that the posted speed limit for most of west Texas is 80 mph.  Even then, the ride is long.

TCD

TCD

Lately we have been taking Hillsborough all the way to I 4 by Hard Rock.  I don't think it's faster but it's a LOT less stressful. 

Lately we have been taking Hillsborough all the way to I 4 by Hard Rock.  I don't think it's faster but it's a LOT less stressful. 

I hate towing the trailer on Hillsborough- too many stop lights.

19 is pretty sweet from 580 to Gulf to Bay.  After they get that intersection with Gulf to Bay fixed, it's not going to be bad.

That stretch of 275 through Tampa still SMB.

TCD