Driving from Kingdom to Kingdom

It's time for me to make plans for a cross-country trip from Florida to California.

The TCD twins are supposed to check in for their Disneyland College Program on August 16, 2015, and will be staying in CA through the first week of January.

Since Twin #2 has her apartment through the end of August, I think we will be meeting up in Tallahassee and starting the trip from there.

I would love to have some input from the Louisiana, Texas and other FOW (Fiends out West).

Google Maps gives two choices of routes through Texas.  At Mobile, AL, choice #1 is to stay on 10, which will bring us through Houston and San Antonio   Choice #2 has us head north to catch 20, and will bring us through Dallas.  Is one interstate better than the other?

We will have two cars and three drivers, so I'm thinking of four hour driving shifts, with all of us rotating positions every four hours.  We could drive 12 hours per day with each driver only having to drive 8.  That would get us to Anaheim in three long days. 

I want to book us hotel rooms for the two nights we will be out on the road.  That will give us a place to shower and sleep.  Any suggestions on good places for that purpose are welcome.

At one point, we thought about incorporating places to stop and sight see, but since the girls have someplace to be, this trip is going to be all about getting there as quickly and safely as possible.

TCD

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Texas is a BAS 

Proof that I spend way too much time on FF.net.  I got that with hardly a blink.

I wonder if they have a BABH In that BAS

I have nothing helpful either, but I am selfishly very excited about this because I know it means great TRs from you (oh and that's it's a wonderful experience for the twins and they are lucky to be there during the diamond celebration).

And good luck and safe travels!

TCD have you looked at that highway you'll be on when you leave I-10 in Alabama, I wonder what its like cutting across Mississippi?  I didn't think they had a major highway going from the southeast up to I-20?  If you want to stick to interstate, you could stay on I-10/I-12 until you get to I-49 in Louisiana, it heads northwest to I-20 and it's not a bad road.  Or you could stay on I-10 into Texas and then decide on the northern or southern route.

I-10 at the Louisiana/Mississippi border is horrible right now with lane closures causing delays.  Supposedly that will be done by the end of the summer, but it's worth keeping an eye on.  If you'll be hitting that section over the weekend it could really cause you some headaches.

What will you be doing west of Dallas?  Will you head north to Amarillo or south to Odessa?  We used to convoy to Colorado every summer hauling horses so we knew that northern route pretty good and it got really hot.  I would imagine that southern route that skirts along Mexico would be horrible that time of year.  Why is that a big deal, well once we got stopped on the highway because of an accident and some peoples a/c couldn't keep up while sitting still, talk about hot.

Just some thoughts.

WBI

TCD have you looked at that highway you'll be on when you leave I-10 in Alabama, I wonder what its like cutting across Mississippi?  I didn't think they had a major highway going from the southeast up to I-20?  If you want to stick to interstate, you could stay on I-10/I-12 until you get to I-49 in Louisiana, it heads northwest to I-20 and it's not a bad road.  Or you could stay on I-10 into Texas and then decide on the northern or southern route.

Google maps has a path that cuts diagonally across Mississippi . It looks like they say to take Route 98 then Route 49, meeting up with 20 in Jackson. That's all the way across Mississippi.

I-10 at the Louisiana/Mississippi border is horrible right now with lane closures causing delays.  Supposedly that will be done by the end of the summer, but it's worth keeping an eye on.  If you'll be hitting that section over the weekend it could really cause you some headaches.

Are weekends worse than weekdays? If we leave when I think we're going to, and head that way on 10, it would be early afternoon on a Tuesday when we hit the Mississippi/Louisiana border.

What will you be doing west of Dallas?  Will you head north to Amarillo or south to Odessa?  We used to convoy to Colorado every summer hauling horses so we knew that northern route pretty good and it got really hot.  I would imagine that southern route that skirts along Mexico would be horrible that time of year.  Why is that a big deal, well once we got stopped on the highway because of an accident and some peoples a/c couldn't keep up while sitting still, talk about hot.

If we headed north and caught 20, Google is telling me to head toward Odessa and catch back up with 10 west of there.

I hadn't thought the heat would be worse than it is in Florida. I prefer to drive during the day, and it looks like we would be driving a full day across Texas.

The heat will probably be just as bad whether we're on 10 or 20.

TCD

Google maps has a path that cuts diagonally across Mississippi . It looks like they say to take Route 98 then Route 49, meeting up with 20 in Jackson. That's all the way across Mississippi.

Yeah I saw that, I just didn't know if it was four lane highway, but I zoomed in and it is four lane and doesn't look too bad with little towns, its just not interstate.

Are weekends worse than weekdays? If we leave when I think we're going to, and head that way on 10, it would be early afternoon on a Tuesday when we hit the Mississippi/Louisiana border.

They are saying weekends are worse, the geniuses are working 24hrs a day on the weekends starting at 6pm on Fridays to avoid commuter work traffic, instead they are effecting all the summer vacation travelers.

If we headed north and caught 20, Google is telling me to head toward Odessa and catch back up with 10 west of there.

I hadn't thought the heat would be worse than it is in Florida. I prefer to drive during the day, and it looks like we would be driving a full day across Texas.

The heat will probably be just as bad whether we're on 10 or 20.

TCD

When I googled mapped it showed the two routes towards Amarillo or Odessa.

I kind of liked 287 from Dallas to Amarillo so I lean towards that route, but I'm sure the other one is ok too. Like you said no matter what it takes a day to cross Texas.

The heat is brutal, I remember the truck saying over 110 while sitting there but you are right it will be bad everywhere.

With Google maps, something I've been noticing is that it sometimes gives you crazy routes because they take the quickest route, not necessarily the best route or the one I want to take with a trailer.  Just something to keep an eye on when you're on the road.

Good Luck!

WBI

Jeez, that stinks that they're working 24 hours a day on weekends.  But, it sounds like that might work out OK for me.

I have had Google maps suggest some odd things to me, so that's why I'm asking.

I'm leaning toward just staying on 10 the whole way and hoping for the best, but if there's anyone out there with some better suggestions, please let me know.

TCD

Florida to Houston is a very simple drive down I 10 you will want to get on 12 at Hammond to Baton Rouge that said you will at times have rough roads, traffic backups, and road construction, not to mention the auto accidents you will pass. That said I have made the trip 4 times in less then a year so it's not that bad. I 10 to San Antonio is no problem but past that I can't help you because I always drive to Florida. Live oak Florida has a great gas station called Busy-Bee's it's nice and has clean restrooms also any Buc-ees in Texas is a great place to stop very clean restrooms and good food. There is one in Baytown Tx. and another in Luling Tx. Have fun.

Thanks, Michael- that is helpful information.  I've heard about that Busy Bee place at Live Oak, and by daughters have stopped there, but I never have.  We'll be starting this trip west of there anyway.

Do you know of a good hotel near the interstate somewhere west of Houston we could use for our first night on the road?

TCD

Florida to Houston is a very simple drive down I 10 you will want to get on 12 at Hammond to Baton Rouge that said you will at times have rough roads, traffic backups, and road construction, not to mention the auto accidents you will pass. That said I have made the trip 4 times in less then a year so it's not that bad. I 10 to San Antonio is no problem but past that I can't help you because I always drive to Florida. Live oak Florida has a great gas station called Busy-Bee's it's nice and has clean restrooms also any Buc-ees in Texas is a great place to stop very clean restrooms and good food. There is one in Baytown Tx. and another in Luling Tx. Have fun.

Oh I second Buc-ees!  I would plan your stops around their large locations lol they are huge and have tons of stuff and the bathrooms are kept very clean! 

Lone-star have you gotten stuck in that traffic in Slidell yet?  I got a DOTD notification last night that because of weather and the Fourth of July they aren't going to work the next two weekends but after that they'll be back at it.  It's causing all kinds of headaches in that 12 mile stretch.  It was no fun when we hit on the way home from our cruise around midnight and got stuck for an hour.  The good part is that road was pretty rough so when they are done we'll have another good stretch of smooth road.

TCD I don't know of a hotel off the top of my head but immediately west of Houston you could look in Katy, TX, particularly next to the Katy Mills Mall area.  I think they have some newer hotels and plenty of restaurants in that area.

I haven't been in years but as you get closer to San Antonio there is a little bbq place called Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, TX, growing up we stopped there ever trip to San Antonio.  Their bbq and sausage was the best, we particularly liked a simple sausage and bread sandwich.  I personally haven't been in 10 years but all my family still goes whenever they are out that way.

WBI

Thanks, Nick.  I will try to check out the BBQ place if I get a chance.

I've never been to Baton Rouge.  I've been to New Orleans many times, but never made the trip out to Baton Rouge.  If there are any restaurants worth checking out near the interstate there, let me know.

TCD

No problem.

I actually can't think of anything special that's easy off the interstate in Baton Rouge but I'm sure there's a ton.  There are those boudin places in Scott, LA (west of Lafayette) that DIT and I talked about before.  They have great boudin and other delicious unhealthy Cajun food.  Or even further west you have my home town of Lake Charles.  A super easy to get to seafood place off of I-10 is Steamboat Bill's, it's got some good Louisiana seafood.  Not far from I-10 there's a place called Luna's that has a good variety of food but I especially like their fried green beans, burgers, and sandwiches (I'm going tomorrow with my in-laws).  Or if you want some delicious messy po-boys, you can go to Darrel's but its a bar atmosphere and is off of I-210.  Across Louisiana and the south they have a chicken tender place called Raising Cane's its good fast food if you're in a hurry, but you've probably seen them before.

This is all making me hungry!  Let me know if you have time to visit while in Lake Charles!

WBI

Can't help you with the drive, we always fly.  However, the weather in California is great.  My daughter, son in law, and 3 grandkids are at Camp Pendleton.  That's about 45 minutes from Disneyland.  They go quite frequently and I have been 3 times.  They will be back on the east coast in the spring of 2016.  Our son in law will be Drill Instructor at Parris Island.

Have a save trip and tell the girls to enjoy their time at Disneyland.  Make sure they bring some of the magic from Disney World. 

We have been here many times. We meet my in laws here a lot when they are going to San Antonio. Very nice and clean. Also 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. drinks are free. And the restaurant inside has good food. Also a indoor pool. http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/embassy-suites-houston-energy-corridor-HOUEYES/index.html

Oh I second Buc-ees!  I would plan your stops around their large locations lol they are huge and have tons of stuff and the bathrooms are kept very clean! 

Lone-star have you gotten stuck in that traffic in Slidell yet?  I got a DOTD notification last night that because of weather and the Fourth of July they aren't going to work the next two weekends but after that they'll be back at it.  It's causing all kinds of headaches in that 12 mile stretch.  It was no fun when we hit on the way home from our cruise around midnight and got stuck for an hour.  The good part is that road was pretty rough so when they are done we'll have another good stretch of smooth road.

TCD I don't know of a hotel off the top of my head but immediately west of Houston you could look in Katy, TX, particularly next to the Katy Mills Mall area.  I think they have some newer hotels and plenty of restaurants in that area.

I haven't been in years but as you get closer to San Antonio there is a little bbq place called Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, TX, growing up we stopped there ever trip to San Antonio.  Their bbq and sausage was the best, we particularly liked a simple sausage and bread sandwich.  I personally haven't been in 10 years but all my family still goes whenever they are out that way.

WBI

We always hit traffic in LA somewhere but not what you are talking about yet.

We have been here many times. We meet my in laws here a lot when they are going to San Antonio. Very nice and clean. Also 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. drinks are free. And the restaurant inside has good food. Also a indoor pool. http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/embassy-suites-houston-energy-corridor-HOUEYES/index.html

Thanks.

That looks like a good place for us to shoot for on our first day driving from Tallahassee.

TCD

Thanks.

That looks like a good place for us to shoot for on our first day driving from Tallahassee.

TCD

No problem. If you don't already have one get a copy of The Next Exit. It tells you what is at every exit on the interstate. It really helps when crossing the country.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Next-Exit-2015-Interstate/dp/0984692134

No problem. If you don't already have one get a copy of The Next Exit. It tells you what is at every exit on the interstate. It really helps when crossing the country.

Thanks.  I've heard of that book, but wasn't sure if it was kept up to date.  Something like that would be a huge help on this trip.  I'm going to get a copy.

TCD

I think there actually is an app for that - I seem to remember someone I worked with using it on a trip they took.  Said it was very handy because it shows restaurants, hotels and gas station - even the brand

I think there actually is an app for that - I seem to remember someone I worked with using it on a trip they took.  Said it was very handy because it shows restaurants, hotels and gas station - even the brand

You can buy the app but it only gives you access for 1 year. The book keeps on working. We buy a new book every 2 or 3 years. I will buy 2016 when it comes out we are working out of 2013 right now.

You can buy the app but it only gives you access for 1 year. The book keeps on working. We buy a new book every 2 or 3 years. I will buy 2016 when it comes out we are working out of 2013 right now.

Thanks I'll have to look for that for our next cross country -  it sounds very useful.   Is it only for the US or does it do Canada as well?