Chime In to suggest your favorite regional food that I might not find outside of Florida/'TheSouth'

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a picture of our contribution to the potluck at 4th of July in 2012 I think.     and one of Mama's absolute favorites for breakfast was country ham. She made Red Eye gravy to go with grits wh

I'm about a month away from my first FW adventure. Yay. I think I'll be having someone stop at a grocery store for me, to help with food supplies to be ready at the beginning of our stay. I'll also be

In the Kissimmee area there is a large Puerto Rican influence. There is a local store called Kissimmee produce that has all kinds of cool things. I still don't know what most of them are! Lol Their de

And you can see a great sunset at Frenchy's Rockaway which is right N. Clearwater Beach.  You can wash that grouper sandwich down with a Rumrunner or 2.  Rumrunners may not be regional but there is nothing like sitting at Frenchy's Rockaway watching a sunset and a couple of rumrunners 

Well that sounds pretty flipping awesome.  :)

Hey speaking of Cuban sandwiches... Bongos at Downtown Disney has pretty darned good ones.  In fact the food there in general is really good and a pretty good value for the mountains of it they give you.

Bonus - there are 2 or 3 bars in the placed and I'd be willing to bet they can do a good rum drink.   B)

Well that sounds pretty flipping awesome. :)

Hey speaking of Cuban sandwiches... Bongos at Downtown Disney has pretty darned good ones. In fact the food there in general is really good and a pretty good value for the mountains of it they give you.

Bonus - there are 2 or 3 bars in the placed and I'd be willing to bet they can do a good rum drink. B)

I drank with some commies once. They were okay fellas.
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of shrimp and grits. 

One of the restaurants at the JW Marriott in Orlando has some really good shrimp and grits....maybe my favorite outside of South Carolina.    

Now grunt and grits....that I'm not sure about.  The only grunt I'm familiar with in Florida comes the morning after eating at Ohana.  But that's a whole nutha story.  

I'll throw out shrimp and grits (try Trails End or  Boatwrights), Gravy and biscuits (Pop Century actually has good ones), Beignets at Port Orleans French Quarter, and Fried Chicken at Trails End (really, it IS better in the South). 

I don't think I've never had them and they don't sound appetizing.

But if I'm given a chance I'll try them.

Don't try them, they are additive. My wife tried them after we were married and now I get half as many. Also there are different ways to boil them, green peanut and salt are best, but usually all you can get are dried ones which are still good. Also you can get different seasonings, Cajun are popular, but have also had Mexican seasoned which are boiled with peppers in them.  

I don't think I've never had them and they don't sound appetizing.

But if I'm given a chance I'll try them.

They remind me of black eyed peas and yes the peanuts are boiled with all kinds of flavors.  Some times of the year we can buy green, uncooked, peanuts in the grocery store.  My neighbor use to have them once in a while.  She also makes the best collards!!

Gwen...I love country ham, first had it in Virginia.  Won't buy the whole ham any more because of this low salt diet....crap :(  At Christmas time I get a steak and the DH and I share.  Also the country hams are available during Christmas season but are hard to find rest of the year.  Remember going to a store in Winston-Salem area and there were people who came in every week and bought a ham.

They remind me of black eyed peas and yes the peanuts are boiled with all kinds of flavors. Some times of the year we can buy green, uncooked, peanuts in the grocery store. My neighbor use to have them once in a while. She also makes the best collards!!

Gwen...I love country ham, first had it in Virginia. Won't buy the whole ham any more because of this low salt diet....crap :( At Christmas time I get a steak and the DH and I share. Also the country hams are available during Christmas season but are hard to find rest of the year. Remember going to a store in Winston-Salem area and there were people who came in every week and bought a ham.

Country ham is in all grocery stores here in North GA.

Country ham is in all grocery stores here in North GA.

Lucky

Same here.  It's everywhere, year round.  

You too!

Speaking of ham.....Stuffed Ham from St. Mary's County, Maryland.  That is all.

No!  Not all at all !!  What kind of ham?  Stuffed with what?  Baked how long?  At what temp?