OK, We are coming to The Fort in April and are renting a Pop-Up from fortcamperrental (thanks to y'alls great advice) and are debating rather or not we can make it without going to a park.

We are AP holders but they expire this Christmas season and we are not looking at coming next summer or fall so if we can get through this Spring Break visit without them it would save $ and make good sense. 

We have come 4 times during this AP cycle and been coming for 25+ years so we don't feel like we'll be missing out on much.

We have done a "4 Park Challenge" before where we visited every park in one day but never a "No Park Challenge".

My question is this;

Have any of y'all ever gone and just hung our at The Fort and just done "Fort stuff" like to HDDR, swim, fish, and Campfire?

OK, We are coming to The Fort in April and are renting a Pop-Up from fortcamperrental (thanks to y'alls great advice) and are debating rather or not we can make it without going to a park.

We are AP holders but they expire this Christmas season and we are not looking at coming next summer or fall so if we can get through this Spring Break visit without them it would save $ and make good sense. 

We have come 4 times during this AP cycle and been coming for 25+ years so we don't feel like we'll be missing out on much.

We have done a "4 Park Challenge" before where we visited every park in one day but never a "No Park Challenge".

My question is this;

Have any of y'all ever gone and just hung our at The Fort and just done "Fort stuff" like to HDDR, swim, fish, and Campfire?

Yes. Best trips ever.

We did this a couple of years ago when between AP's.  Did a lot of the Fort stuff and Wilderness Lodge, did the Bike/Walking Path a bunch.   We also went to a different resort each day for exploring/walking/shopping/lunch.  And we went to the Boardwalk and Downtown Disney areas on different days.  Throw in the free boat rides and the Monorail and we had a full week   :D

Honestly I think by avoiding the parks will give WDW an entire different feel. I would focus on slowing down and relaxing. Taking time to eat at special restaurants that you haven't visited before. Exploring new pathways and lounging in a hammock. I can see a non parks visit as being very romantic or extremely relaxing.

Our plan for our November trip is to skip the Disney parks and are still up in the air if we will visit Universal (we've never been there). What we do have planned besides just relaxing and doing what we feel like is, see more of The Fort, tickets to Cirque du Soleil, resort hopping and meals at various restaurants we want to try.

We just did this last month it was a great trip. We did do the water parks though. But it would have been fine with out them. Do the trip and enjoy. Make sure you go to Raglan Road and get some bread pudding.

WWW 2014 I did not have any park tickets. It allowed me the time to explore other resorts.

I would definetly do a no park trip again. Not every trip, but I think sometimes it is nice to just enjoy the time with your family at Disney and not worry about getting to a park to ride something or see something.

We've been visiting WDW since the late 70s, but just staying at the fort?  No way!  We hope to be at the fort four weeks in the fall.  We might not go to a park on 2-3 days.  I can't imagine traveling that far just to stay at the fort.

Change late 70s to 2001 and you've got my story. I live too far away to consider the fort a destination in and of itself. I know I'm on Fort Fiends and all- but I'm here as a fan of camping and of Disney (and y'all now, of course); the Fort just happens to be the middle ground.

I live too far away to consider the fort a destination in and of itself. I know I'm on Fort Fiends and all- but I'm here as a fan of camping and of Disney (and y'all now, of course); the Fort just happens to be the middle ground.

My feelings exactly!

Last July trip we just did a one day hopper on a 10 day trip. Did all 4 parks that day with extra Magic hours then relaxed the rest of the trip doing whatever we felt like each day. Beaches & cream, Downtown Disney, monorail resort hopping, the campfire. It was one of our best trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last August, our Seasonal Passes were still in blackout, but we wanted to get in one more trip before school started. We did a six day stay at the Fort and never went in any of the parks!

This year we have AP's again, and are going back to the Fort for another six days, starting next Sunday. We were actually lamenting the fact that going into the parks cut into our Fort time. So when I picked our Fast Passes I made sure they were in tight time chunks so that we weren't in the parks all day.

Change late 70s to 2001 and you've got my story. I live too far away to consider the fort a destination in and of itself. I know I'm on Fort Fiends and all- but I'm here as a fan of camping and of Disney (and y'all now, of course); the Fort just happens to be the middle ground.

I guess living a little over an hour away, we have a different perspective on no park stays at the Fort.

But we always have a great time at the Fort.

Maybe so- but man is it an expensive campground to just hangout at. Especially when it seems like mms activities cost extra.

True on the cost, we try to keep it in check by only booking a partial site, and try to see when the rates are lower.

We try to just go for special times, so it makes it worth the cost.