Thanks to TCD and Twins #1 & 2, we'll actually have Fiends on the Scene at this year's D23 Expo (exciting!!!)

Given this, I figured it deserved a thread of it's own for all the news and info and "stuff" that is expected to come out of this year's event.

From the Disney Parks Blog on some cool art, books and music that will be debuting at the Expo next week...

Disney fans! We have just over a week to go before D23 EXPO 2015 takes place August 14–16 at the Anaheim Convention Center. I’m sure you’re excited to hear more about what will be available and I have all the details on art, books, collectibles, music, artist signings and more. I wish I was able to show you everything, but with over 170 items debuting in the Disney Dream Store alone as part of this year’s D23 EXPO, and over eighty signings taking place my hands and words are a bit tied. So here are a few things you won’t want to miss.

Look for one-of-a-kind pieces including original framed art and sculptures, limited edition giclees and deluxe prints by some of your favorite Disney inspired artists as well as the new Storybook Collection from Disney Publishing. I hope you’ll take a moment to stop by and see some of these amazing pieces for yourself. Of course, I couldn’t resist showing you the latest from artist Dave Avanzino. Being introduced this year is the Custom Name Disneyland Ticket Books, which allows you to create your own Ticket Book featuring your first or last name. If you’re curious as to the color tones, mattes and prices, they will vary, so be sure to check it out.

D23NM4597-613x524.jpg

Tip: Also, scheduled to appear will be Steve Adams, Jasmine Becket-Griffith, Eric Caszatt, David Bird, Lorelay Bové, Britni Brault, Bob Elias, Susan Foy, Sharon & Jerry Freeman, Dana & Melanie Harvey, Rob Kaz, Daniel Killen, Mike Kungl, Art Lewis, Hiko Maeda, Jerrod Maruyama, Bridget McCarty, Miss Mindy, James C. Mulligan, Dave Perillo, Noah, Robert Olszewski, Maggie Parr, Mike Peraza, Larry Nikolai, Linda Rick, Tim Rogerson, Ahab’s Shipyard, Javier Soto, George Scribner, Michelle St.Laurent, Raymond Swanland, Richard Terpstra, Heather Theurer, Guy Vasilovich, Yakovetic and more.

Excited for more? Several authors will be on hand to sign copies of their latest releases including David Bossert, Melissa de la Cruz, Eric Goldberg, Ridley Pearson, Bill Scollon, Disney Legend Dave Smith, as well as Disney Legend & Imagineering Ambassador Marty Sklar, whose newest book One Little Spark!: Mickey’s Ten Commandments and The Road to Imagineering, will debut.

D23NM4598.jpg

Fans of Disney music visiting the Disney Dream Store will have the opportunity to purchase a selection of vinyl albums, as well as a variety of CD titles from the Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection, celebrating milestone anniversaries of classic Disney soundtracks, including one of the newest releases inspired by Disneyland. Fans should also be on the lookout for special pre-purchase opportunities including something I know you will all ‘love’ —so stay tuned, as well as the Silly Symphony Collection, a first-of-its-kind box set from Walt Disney Records and Fairfax Classics featuring the complete restored soundtracks from all seventy-five Silly Symphony shorts.

Tip: Look for special appearances by J.B. Kaufman, Russell Merritt and Randy Thornton.

D23NM4599-613x452.jpg

To stay up to date on the Disney Dream Store, and for a complete list of artists, authors, special guests, signing locations and times, be sure to download the D23 EXPO App here.

Which are you most excited for? Let me know in the comments!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/disney-dream-store-to-debut-new-art-books-and-music-at-d23-expo-2015/

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So wear a jacket with big pockets.

Sven anamatronic from new Epcot Frozen ride

From the Orange County Register...

Preview: Here's what you'll see as Disney fans from around the world flock to the D23 Expo in Anaheim

Aug. 9, 2015
Updated Aug. 10, 2015 11:48 a.m.

BY JOSEPH PIMENTEL / STAFF WRITER

Anna Beatrice Carlos, 22, could be lounging on a Waikiki beach. But the West Hollywood resident would rather be in Anaheim.

Mike Nunez, 29, is taking three weeks off work as chief financial officer for an insurance company in Brisbane, Australia, to fly across the world to be here.

And Kari Spencer, 40, and her mother will come from Studley, Kan., to pad the floors of the Anaheim Convention Center.

The four will be among the tens of thousands of hard-core Disney fans making the trip to Anaheim for next weekend’s D23 Expo, a premiere Disney fan gathering. Disney won’t reveal any attendance forecast, but 45,000 attended the last D23 convention.

“My parents asked me if I wanted to go to Hawaii with them this week. I told them, ‘Nope, I got to make it to the D23 Expo,’” said Carlos, a production assistant from Los Angeles. “They know how much I love Disney.”

“I’m crazy for Disney dolls,” said Spencer, who already has 100 and is aiming to grab a few more, especially the limited-edition “Once Upon a Time” dolls.

She plans to jump in line Thursday afternoon and spend the night in a Convention Center hallway with others – she wants to ensure she gets the dolls.

Held biennially since 2009, the D23 Expo is a cornucopia of all things Disney, which usually present movie and television stars, limited-edition merchandise and new video games at the convention. The Walt Disney Co. also unveils movie trailers and could make major announcements about its theme parks.

Interesting – didn’t Disney recently announce, without providing details, that it plans to spend more than $1 billion to improve Disneyland and/or Disney California Adventure?

With Disneyland, just across the street from the Convention Center, celebrating its 60th anniversary this summer, this year’s Friday-through-Sunday edition of D23 promises to be the biggest yet, said Adam Sanderson, senior vice president of corporate communication at Disney and head of D23.

(D23 is named after the year Walt Disney arrived in Hollywood.)

“This will be the most incredible ever,” Sanderson said.

Disney will offer more panels, with the most popular being held in a 7,500-seat arena rather than the 4,000-seat one used in past years.

“We wanted everyone to have the same experience in the same room,” he said. “I know it’s going to be packed.”

“Star Wars” creator George Lucas, TV soap legend Susan Lucci, and Danny Elfman, once the front man for rock/new wave band Oingo Boingo and now a high-end film composer, are expected to attend the convention Friday to accept Disney Legend awards.

During the convention, Disney Studio officials will discuss “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which will be in theaters in December, and Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War,” slated for release next year. John Lasseter, chief creative officer at Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, will host a preview of upcoming Pixar and Disney animated films as well as a panel on “Toy Story,” celebrating its 20th anniversary.

The 65-foot Buzz Lightyear balloon from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade will make its West Coast debut, greeting guests outside the Convention Center.

On the show floor, Disney Channel stars will perform onstage, and stars like Zendaya will sign autographs for fans. Visitors – count on it, many will be decked out as their favorite Disney character – will wend through a 12,000-square-foot exhibit of 300 Disneyland artifacts that will include the first Disneyland ticket sold (to Roy Disney) and the original Abominable Snowman on the Matterhorn Bobsleds.

Parents with young children can hang out at a family play zone, watching a movie or doing arts and crafts. A 32-piece orchestra will perform music that accompanied historic animated Disney short films – a presentation hosted by film historian Leonard Maltin.

Broadway performers will belt out popular Disney tunes. Mouseketeers from years past will make a rare appearance in a tribute to the Mickey Mouse Club.

Expect surprises.

Will there be a special tribute to the late Robin Williams at the “Aladdin Making of a Classic” panel? “It’s kind of hard to speak about ‘Aladdin’ without mentioning Robin,” Sanderson acknowledged.

At the inaugural D23 Expo, Johnny Depp showed up dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow from the “Pirates of the Carribbean” films. Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johansson showed up when fans got a sneak preview of “The Avengers” film in 2011. At the most recent D23, singer Idina Menzel performed the anthem from “Frozen” – “Let it Go.”

“Stay tuned,” said Jeffrey Epstein, a D23 Expo spokesman. “There’ll be a lot of surprise guests.”
Autumn Barnes, the moderator for an unofficial D23 Expo fan page on Facebook, will be here from Hampton, Va.

“We are a passionate bunch,” Barnes said of the 2,000 members on her fan page. “We created the group to come together and share news and learn about the expo.”

Jennifer Kardisco, 31, of Reston, Va., plans to stroll around the convention floor in a $1,200, custom-made pink Cinderella dress – “The one from the classic movie, not the recent ones,” she explained. Her husband will be Jaq, one of the mice who helped Cinderella.

Nunez, the CFO, who dubs himself “Australia’s biggest Disney fan,” is traveling 7,200 miles to make his second convention. He’s an annual passholder at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. He plans to spend at least $5,000 on limited-edition Disney merchandise. He’s a big Disney Designer Doll collector.

“Everyone has their own thing that they love, be it working on their cars, collecting bags or shoes or playing video games for hours on end,” Nunez said. “Many people think Disney is just for children, but like Walt said, ‘Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.’”

To make it easier to buy at its stores at the convention, Disney is offering StorePass – visitors can grab one when the convention opens and, rather than wait in line, return to a store at a specific time.

Erica Shea, 39, of Las Vegas has spent the past four months preparing her costume for the expo’s Mousequerade cosplay contest.

Her dress, which she spent at least 50 hours making, is a fusion of everything she loves about Disney – princesses, “Star Wars” and the rich history of the company. The gown is adorned in Swarovski crystals, lace and her own artwork, including the opening crawl of the “Star Wars IV” movie.

“I love Walt Disney’s quote, ‘That’s the real problem with the world, too many people grow up,’” she said. “I think sometimes we all need to tap that inner child in ourselves.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re 1 or 99 years old. Sometimes it’s better to see the world like a child again.”

Contact the writer: 714-704-3764 or [email protected]

D23 Expo
Where:
Anaheim Convention Center,

800 W. Katella Ave.
When:
10 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Aug. 16 for the general public

Cost:
One-day pass: $74 adults, $54 children ages 3-9. Three-day pass: $216 adults, $156 children. (One-day tickets are sold out for Saturday.)

Online: d23.com/d23-expo

Top panels and events

Friday 

• Disney Legends Awards
    The awards recognize people who have made an extraordinary contribution to The Walt Disney Co.
  • Mousequerade
    The expo's costume contest.
  • Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios: The upcoming films hosted by John Lasseter
    Disney unveils never-before-seen footage from Pixar and Disney Animation's upcoming films.

Saturday 
  • Worlds, Galaxies and Universes: Live action at the Walt Disney Studios
    Disney unveils trailers for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," Marvel's "Captain America: Civil War" and "The Jungle Book."
  • Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
    Disney shares more details about Shanghai Disneyland and Avatar Land at Walt Disney World, and possibly makes announcements of upcoming projects at Disney theme parks.
  • "Toy Story": 20 years later, the original crew looks back
    Members of the original production crew, including Lasseter, look back at the first computer-animated feature film.

Aug. 16 
  • It's Game Time: Disney Interactive takes the stage
    Disney unveils more information about "Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars" and its newest tech toy, Playmation.
  • Frozen Fandemonium: A musical celebration
    Songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez take guests on a musical journey through the music behind "Frozen."
  • Celebrating Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Club – 60 Magical years
    Original Mouseketeers reunite and perform.

More on the Disney site
Check out features, news, interactive maps, schedules, ride guides and more
Interactive map: Click to see how Disneyland has changed in 60 years
Spotted at Disneyland: See photos of celebs from Kobe Bryant to Michael Jackson
Former Disneyland photographer shares decades worth of stories, photos, including iconic ones of Walt
Windows into history: The meaning behind all those names on Disneyland's Main Street
Vintage Disneyland: See these blast from the past photos

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-676602-convention-d23.html

Here's a kind of random, but fun article with all kinds of speculation about what Disney Parks and other info might be announced during D23, including things like what Hollywood Studios new name will be (word on the street has been Hollywood Adventure), Star Wars lands for both WDW and DL, a replacement for Illuminations at Epcot, AVATARland's official opening date, a Marvel attraction at Disneyland, and possibly my favorite rumor in the bunch - that Streets of America at Hollywood Studios may become Monstropolis!

The article is aptly named "2015 Disney D23 Expo Predictions." I wonder if the oddsmakers in Vegas are in on this action?  8)

http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/08/12/2015-disney-d23-expo-predictions/

They must be expecting the D23 Expo to bump up park attendance a good bit, as they've extended park hours at both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure through much of the weekend, and Sept 5 (kind of random)...

Due to operational needs and in order to ensure Guests have the best possible experience, Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure will be adjusting posted operating hours on select dates. Disneyland Park will close at 12 a.m. on August 13, 14, 16 and September 5 (the park was previously scheduled to close at 11 p.m.), while Disney California Adventure will close at 10 p.m. (instead of 9 p.m.) on September 5. Stay tuned here on OTPN for more news and updates.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/08/disneyland-resort-park-hours-extended.html

Preview events are going on now.  Follow the link at the end for more photos...

Our own preview will begin later tonight, but guests who purchased the $2,000+ Sorcerer package tickets have already had a first look at some of the displays.

Instagram user igatame has shared a few photos…

From “Avatar,” a Na’vi bust is quite eye catching along with a massive model of the Pandora area that’s being built at Animal Kingdom, along with a few other smaller displays:

11821937_424378874430785_686388949_n-600\

11849906_1649265388621160_385220740_n-60

11850095_1482285155398589_577435367_n-60

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/08/d23-expo-2015-preview-avatar-shanghai-disneyland-at-the-forefront-of-walt-disney-parks-pavilion/

I have a friend who is only a casual Disney fan, and they're going one of the days. (They live nearby.) I'm going to have to make sure she takes pics! 

Awesome!

And if anyone else is following any of the coverage and sees something interesting, please feel free to share here.  :)

Crud! I could have given you a ride! And we could have found some poles to shimmy up at the Grand Californian.

TCD

I'd have paid good money to see that.  8)

Safe travels, Dave!

Some updates from last night's preview event...

More AVATAR Land photos, including a scale model

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avatar/news/14aug2015-photos---disney-displays-avatar-project-model-at-d23-expo.htm

Page Liked · 12 hrs ·

Sorcerer Mickey arrives with Archives head Becky Cline to open the exhibit! #D23Expo11880448_10152938694767035_4604008673986

https://www.facebook.com/insidethemagic/photos/a.10151112869402035.433696.10300702034/10152938694767035/?type=1&theater

Walt Disney Archives presents Disneyland the Exhibit

https://www.facebook.com/chipandco/posts/10153598705268417

Page Liked · 11 hrs ·

John Lassiter dropped by to say hi at the #d23expo

11903979_10153598900043417_8301034442413

https://www.facebook.com/chipandco/photos/a.142138088416.134661.106657338416/10153598900043417/?type=1&theater