• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no doubt some of them are.  However, there are many who do not work for Disney.  When the other resorts were not fenced in, and did not have the guard shacks at their entrances, a lot of people

Unfortunately that seems to be the way a lot of folks are today. The world was made for them and the rest of us are just window dressing. I'm generally an optimist and believe things will get better b

What is it about campgrounds that makes people crazy idiots?  I just don't understand how kids are allowed to drive golf carts period!  Drivers license needed to operate!  I just can't stand kids who

It was mentioned before that CMs are allowed to use the resort pools also, so the FORT would be the most convienent. They can use the empl gate and skip the Guard Shack.

That would be news to cast members.  As far as I know, nobody was ever given notification that the Fort pool was open to Cast members.  My wife worked where they handled the Mickey Retreat reservations and stuff, and they never were told the Fort was open to the cast.  Perhaps some of the cast members use it because it is one of the easiest to get into, but I don't think that is officially allowed any more than the use of any other resort pool.  As was posted above, Mickeys Retreat is used for CMs. 

It was mentioned before that CMs are allowed to use the resort pools also, so the FORT would be the most convienent. They can use the empl gate and skip the Guard Shack.

That would be news to cast members.  As far as I know, nobody was ever given notification that the Fort pool was open to Cast members.  My wife worked where they handled the Mickey Retreat reservations and stuff, and they never were told the Fort was open to the cast.  Perhaps some of the cast members use it because it is one of the easiest to get into, but I don't think that is officially allowed any more than the use of any other resort pool.  As was posted above, Mickeys Retreat is used for CMs.

This exchange confirms something that I have suspected for a while- that the majority of the freeloaders at the pool are friends and families of Disney Castmembers. It certainly explains why management clearly has made no attempt to address the problem. They use the Meadow pool and its amenities as a perk for their employees- it costs them nothing, and is clearly a very popular perk.

TCD

This exchange confirms something that I have suspected for a while- that the majority of the freeloaders at the pool are friends and families of Disney Castmembers. It certainly explains why management clearly has made no attempt to address the problem. They use the Meadow pool and its amenities as a perk for their employees- it costs them nothing, and is clearly a very popular perk.

TCD

I don't think the weekend people at the pool are mostly cast members.  Cast members not statused at the Fort will not be able to gain access via the employee gate.  The ID's restrict access to only those areas where they are required.  The pool at the Fort is not a "perk" for employees.  That's not to say some don't come and use it anyway, but that would be the same as any other person using it that is not supposed to.  Hopefully, they will eventually stop the craziness, along with all of the other crap I experienced at the Fort between Christmas and New Year's, not caused by locals (out of control golf carts, noisy campers, people who think your campsite is their pet's toilet, people who let their dog crap right in the middle of the loop and then refuse to clean it up, loud barking dogs in non-pet loops, etc).

I don't think the weekend people at the pool are mostly cast members.  Cast members not statused at the Fort will not be able to gain access via the employee gate.  The ID's restrict access to only those areas where they are required.  The pool at the Fort is not a "perk" for employees.  That's not to say some don't come and use it anyway, but that would be the same as any other person using it that is not supposed to.  Hopefully, they will eventually stop the craziness, along with all of the other crap I experienced at the Fort between Christmas and New Year's, not caused by locals (out of control golf carts, noisy campers, people who think your campsite is their pet's toilet, people who let their dog crap right in the middle of the loop and then refuse to clean it up, loud barking dogs in non-pet loops, etc).

Since they put pets everywhere now including the 1500 and 2000 partial loops, why do they even bother having designated pet loops?

Doesn't seem fair for people that have dog phobias that there are no longer any "safe" non pet loops.

And unfortunately you can hear barking dogs 2 or 3 loops away.

Since they put pets everywhere now including the 1500 and 2000 partial loops, why do they even bother having designated pet loops?

Doesn't seem fair for people that have dog phobias that there are no longer any "safe" non pet loops.

And unfortunately you can hear barking dogs 2 or 3 loops away.

You're right; it really is a shame.  We were talking to a woman who has been coming to the Fort every year since the train used to run.  She said this year really got her fed up.  She was saying everything seemed out of control and filled with people who really could not have cared less about other people.  Hopefully that will change. 

I noticed something on my trip in November,  that at night there were a bunch (3-4) people at the tennis courts riding skateboards and hanging out, they would come to the pool and swim and go back. They would always talk to the lifeguards like they knew each other, so I am guessing these were cast members. They were of the age that they would/could work there.

Best Regards,

Norm

I noticed something on my trip in November,  that at night there were a bunch (3-4) people at the tennis courts riding skateboards and hanging out, they would come to the pool and swim and go back. They would always talk to the lifeguards like they knew each other, so I am guessing these were cast members. They were of the age that they would/could work there.

Best Regards,

Norm

I have no doubt some of them are.  However, there are many who do not work for Disney.  When the other resorts were not fenced in, and did not have the guard shacks at their entrances, a lot of people, most of them not cast members would come use the pools.  No matter who is using the pool, people need to write and complain.

I was so disgusted with the Fort this trip that I went to the concierge window at the Settlement to ask where I could send a complaint.  The cast member at the window, a nice young guy, asked me what the issue was.  I thought, "Here comes the canned response."  However, when I told him about the dogs in the non-pet loops he just shook his head and said, "I know, and it should not be that way."  I told him that the people are not hiding their pets, and Disney is assigning them to those sites.  Again he said he knew and it was not right.  I then told him about the out of control golf carts and he heard that complaint a lot recently.  He gave me the email and mail address for guest relations.  He said to write a letter, which would be better than an email.  He said that the people there are the best to send it to, better than management at the Fort and he said, "Trust me; they will listen.  I am working an assignment with them and they will listen and get back to you." He said just to keep the letter friendly and clear.  He then wrote down the loop information for the pets and told me that this could be a safety issue for some, and the golf cart situation is an issue as well.  So, I just got home on Saturday and plan on writing the letter tonight.  My concerns are the fact that the last two times I checked in (November and December), all of the information entered when checking online was lost, including the My Disney Experience account info (such as credit card); the last two times we went there was no acknowledgement of even receiving a site request via fax (in the past they always acknowledged receipt even if we didn't get a requested site), people using the pool who do not belong, dogs in the non pet loops (either follow their own designations or put the cleanup bags in all loops); people not cleaning up after their own dogs, and people treating the loops as their personal golf cart raceway for them and their underage kids.

You're right; it really is a shame.  We were talking to a woman who has been coming to the Fort every year since the train used to run.  She said this year really got her fed up.  She was saying everything seemed out of control and filled with people who really could not have cared less about other people.  Hopefully that will change. 

Unfortunately that seems to be the way a lot of folks are today. The world was made for them and the rest of us are just window dressing. I'm generally an optimist and believe things will get better but I'm starting to wonder if it will be in my lifetime.

After our last trip we've decided to skip WDW this year. While the Fort is still leaps and bounds above most other camping resorts it didn't seem to be up to what I considered Disney standards and looked tired. We also didn't like the free range children in their parents golf cart running all over the place with a complete disregard for we pedestrians. So instead we decided to head up to the Boston/Concord/Lexington area to replace some lost photos for our longer spring trip and hit Chattanooga, TN via Dollywood for our longer fall trip. I will be opening a new thread shortly for advice on the Boston trip as we have only flown there in the past and I refuse to drive I-95 between the DC area and Philadelphia ever again.

I believe that you could take any random member of Fort Fiends, put them in charge of FW for a year and get better results than the "professionals" running the place now....

What would I do differently if I was in charge?  That's a whole topic thread in itself    ( I can see it now: "What would you do if you ran the Fort?" ;)   )

1. Run each site as if it was a hotel room. Two adults and two children per site. For additional people pay a fee or get another site.

2. One car allowed per site, no exceptions, and strictly enforced speed limit of 20mph on main road, 10mph on loops.

3. Only smaller low-powered / low speed golf carts allowed for disabled. Everyone else walks or rides a bike (or a surrey bike  ;)   )

4. If the site is not occupied for the first night w/o a call explaining why then the site is re-rented and a cancellation fee is charged.

5. Designate Non-pet loops and keep them that way unless its an emergency.

6. Restrict large groups to the group areas unless they want to rent an entire loop. And enforce the rules for smaller groups of a few sites so that they don't make life miserable for others. If they don't obey, they don't get to come back again.

7. Re-think the parking and traffic flow thru the overflow lots, designate spots for types of vehicles, trailers etc. 

8. Check ID's at the pool and picnic areas.....and then actually ask people to leave that aren't guests.

9. Re-open the FW Kennel.  The Fort is NOT a hotel and has a unique need for an on-site kennel. Let Best Friends take care of the rest of the Resorts.

10.  Any more ideas??     :lol:

I believe that you could take any random member of Fort Fiends, put them in charge of FW for a year and get better results than the "professionals" running the place now....

What would I do differently if I was in charge?  That's a whole topic thread in itself    ( I can see it now: "What would you do if you ran the Fort?" ;)   )

1. Run each site as if it was a hotel room. Two adults and two children per site. For additional people pay a fee or get another site.

2. One car allowed per site, no exceptions, and strictly enforced speed limit of 20mph on main road, 10mph on loops.

3. Only smaller low-powered / low speed golf carts allowed for disabled. Everyone else walks or rides a bike (or a surrey bike  ;)   )

4. If the site is not occupied for the first night w/o a call explaining why then the site is re-rented and a cancellation fee is charged.

6. Restrict large groups to the group areas unless they want to rent an entire loop. And enforce the rules for smaller groups of a few sites so that they don't make life miserable for others. If they don't obey, they don't get to come back again.

7. Re-think the parking and traffic flow thru the overflow lots, designate spots for types of vehicles, trailers etc. 

8. Check ID's at the pool and picnic areas.....and then actually ask people to leave that aren't guests.

9. Re-open the FW Kennel.  The Fort is NOT a hotel and has a unique need for an on-site kennel. Let Best Friends take care of the rest of the Resorts.

did you put in for the job yet? Lots of good ideas.

Bring back the trams and the steam train!

I don't know that I would limit the number of people per site to 4, or get rid of golf carts, but I would pay better attention to those driving carts, make those bringing their own carts pay a registration fee and show proof of insurance. If someone is driving a rental cart or personal cart illegally, issue a fine, 2nd offense, impound it.

I don't know that I would limit the number of people per site to 4, or get rid of golf carts, but I would pay better attention to those driving carts, make those bringing their own carts pay a registration fee and show proof of insurance. If someone is driving a rental cart or personal cart illegally, issue a fine, 2nd offense, impound it.

Not a limit, but just like a hotel room or most campgrounds, charge a fee for extra people up to the current limit of 10.  I think that would push the "lets cram as many people and tents and cars onto one site as we can get away with" crowd back into the value resort rooms or off property.  The big problem groups usually come to the Fort not because they want to camp but because it's the cheapest way to get a lot of people onto Disney property w/ all the bennies that go with it.  Same with the Phantom sites that actual camping families could otherwise use.

I agree that if they don't ban carts altogether then the cart enforcement needs to be stepped up a LOT. Problem is that Disney can't or won't enforce their own rules fairly and consistently which is why it's out of control now...

What would I do differently if I was in charge? That's a whole topic thread in itself ( I can see it now: "What would you do if you ran the Fort?" ;) )

3. Only smaller low-powered / low speed golf carts allowed for disabled. Everyone else walks or rides a bike (or a surrey bike ;) )

9. Re-open the FW Kennel. The Fort is NOT a hotel and has a unique need for an on-site kennel. Let Best Friends take care of the rest of the Resorts.

10. Any more ideas?? :lol:

Wow! I think you hit just about everything! Great post. :rolleyes:

The only thing I would add (more of an "I'd like to see") is for Disney to change their reservation system to be more like Reserve America where you can reserve a specific site. 

The only thing I would add (more of an "I'd like to see") is for Disney to change their reservation system to be more like Reserve America where you can reserve a specific site. 

Unfortunately, that system would kill Fort availability even more so than what it is now, as you would have single nights empty on sites all over the place. Other than a free for all of having folks pick an empty site when they arrive, assigning sites by the fort is the only way to keep the occupancy high

I don't think the weekend people at the pool are mostly cast members.  Cast members not statused at the Fort will not be able to gain access via the employee gate.  The ID's restrict access to only those areas where they are required.  The pool at the Fort is not a "perk" for employees. 

You may want to check on that ID thing.  I personally have seen Disney CM's who do not work at the Fort use the employee gate at the far end of the overflow lot to gain access to the Fort without going through the main entrance and the guard shack.

I am not sure how much observation you have done of the freeloaders who show up to use the pool, but it is apparent to me that these people are not sneaking in in any way, shape or form.  They act as if they have permission, and based on the fact that management does NOTHING to stop them, I believe that they do have permission to be there.  But why?  It makes perfect sense to me that these are family members and friends of Fort Wilderness employees, and that this is a perk extended to them by management. 

That a great list.

The sad thing is that there used to be policies in place that, if enforced, would solve a lot of the problems that you are addressing with your list.

There used to be an extra charge per night for any adult on a reservation past the first two.

There used to be a published rule that said one vehicle per campsite, and it was enforced by a CM who drove the loops, and stopped and asked guests to move their extra vehicles to overflow.  The guy I was most familiar with who did this job was Brian.  He had a big truck with a tow bar on the back, and I believed that he would use it if he had to. 

There used to be a published list of pet loops and even rules on the Disney website about pets.  These disappeared, as it is easier for management to just let guests do whatever they want.

There used to be CM's who patrolled the Fort during daylight hours to enforce the golf cart rules.  They had authority to confiscate golf carts, and would confront guests who were violating the rules. This went so far as me being stopped once because had one of my very young daughters sitting on my lap steering the golf cart while I controlled the brakes and gas, and was at the ready to grab the wheel if needed.  Like every parent has done with a child at some time.  I wasn't mad that the CM told me to not do that- I was appreciative.  They have rules, and it's a good thing if everyone follows them.

The problem at the Fort is that in the past few years, management decided to stop enforcing their own rules, and the anything goes management style has emboldened people who want to take advantage of the low prices they can enjoy by packing people into the sites.  A new list of rules is great, but it won't do a think unless management does their job.  That's where the disconnect is.

TCD

You may want to check on that ID thing.  I personally have seen Disney CM's who do not work at the Fort use the employee gate at the far end of the overflow lot to gain access to the Fort without going through the main entrance and the guard shack.

I am not sure how much observation you have done of the freeloaders who show up to use the pool, but it is apparent to me that these people are not sneaking in in any way, shape or form.  They act as if they have permission, and based on the fact that management does NOTHING to stop them, I believe that they do have permission to be there.  But why?  It makes perfect sense to me that these are family members and friends of Fort Wilderness employees, and that this is a perk extended to them by management. 

I know that my wife's ID does not work at the gate, nor any other gate or door for which she is not authorized.  That is all controlled by access control.  Some cast members may have access to that gate because that gate is on the access list associated with their position.  When my wife would pick up overtime at any of the resorts, her idea would not get her through the gates, she needed to show the guard.

Yes, I have observed people at the gate and in the overflow lot.  When I see them getting in they show a driver's license and they let them in.  When I want to stop there for some reason, I show my license and tell them what I am doing and they wave me in unless it is a particularly busy time.  Then I observe the people parking their car, getting the kids out, then their towels out of the trunk and they get on the bus.  Are they cast members?  Some may be, but it is just as easy for non-cast members to get in as well.  I know several people who do not work for Disney that use the pools, not only at the Fort but other resorts.  I do not know one cast member that does so, but I am sure they exist. They act as if they have permission because that is how they operate.  Act as if you belong and use the system.  Not that it is right, but it is a very loose process that needs to be fixed.  I noticed over the last month or so that getting into any of the resorts, with the exception of Wilderness Lodge due to their parking issues, has gotten MUCH easier, where you hold out your driver's license and they wave you in before you can even say why you're there.  Even at the Contemporary, my wife was going to have lunch at the Wave.  She pulled up, showed her driver's license and said she has reservations, and they just waved her in without checking.  She did not use her Disney ID. 

Unfortunately, that system would kill Fort availability even more so than what it is now, as you would have single nights empty on sites all over the place. Other than a free for all of having folks pick an empty site when they arrive, assigning sites by the fort is the only way to keep the occupancy high

Good point.  Would be nice, but as you said, probably no practical way to implement it.  The Reserve America system isn't bad though.

Yes, I have observed people at the gate and in the overflow lot.  When I see them getting in they show a driver's license and they let them in.  When I want to stop there for some reason, I show my license and tell them what I am doing and they wave me in unless it is a particularly busy time.  Then I observe the people parking their car, getting the kids out, then their towels out of the trunk and they get on the bus.  Are they cast members?  Some may be, but it is just as easy for non-cast members to get in as well.  They act as if they have permission because that is how they operate.  Act as if you belong and use the system.  Not that it is right, but it is a very loose process. 

You and I have seen some of the same things, then.  But, I've also seen guests carrying coolers and bags of charcoal on to the buses at the Outpost, and have seen cars park at the pedestrian bridge across from the 1500 loop bus stop and unload charcoal and coolers and a bunch of little freeloaders before the big freeloader behind the wheel drives the car out to the overflow lot.  On any summer weekend, they will have claimed all of the grills and picnic tables under the pool pavilion by late morning, and will be camped out there all day. Like I said- it's all out in the open and obvious. 

One other detail that I haven't mentioned is that the overwhelming majority of these freeloaders are Hispanic.  Who are they and what makes them so bold to invade a resort pool?  Like I said, they clearly have the blessing from management to be there.  Bus drivers pick them up and drop them off.  Security, maintenance, and lifeguard CM's see what they're doing, and no effort is made to stop it.  A lot of them seem to know each other. Like I said, I believe that these are friends and family of Fort Wilderness employees.  They are welcomed guests by management.  There's no other way to explain it.

TCD

Not a limit, but just like a hotel room or most campgrounds, charge a fee for extra people up to the current limit of 10.  I think that would push the "lets cram as many people and tents and cars onto one site as we can get away with" crowd back into the value resort rooms or off property.  The big problem groups usually come to the Fort not because they want to camp but because it's the cheapest way to get a lot of people onto Disney property w/ all the bennies that go with it.  Same with the Phantom sites that actual camping families could otherwise use.

I agree that if they don't ban carts altogether then the cart enforcement needs to be stepped up a LOT. Problem is that Disney can't or won't enforce their own rules fairly and consistently which is why it's out of control now...

Some people (not me) actually have more than 2 kids, so they're not "cramming as many people" in.  Disney is set up for 4 people families. Yes, I know they have suites, but that isn't very economical for some families.  So, the campground is actually more affordable for those if they have a camper or tent. So, I don't really agree with your limit (or non-limit) of 4 per site.  Most campgrounds have at least 6 or 8.  

That was the only thing I was thinking of, and it wasn't even on that list. 

I read someone's (Carol?) later post about that not working and I see her point, but it seems to work fine at other campgrounds. Yes, I know FW is much bigger than most, but I just don't like their current system, especially if you are camping with other families.

Some people (not me) actually have more than 2 kids, so they're not "cramming as many people" in.  Disney is set up for 4 people families. Yes, I know they have suites, but that isn't very economical for some families.  So, the campground is actually more affordable for those if they have a camper or tent. So, I don't really agree with your limit (or non-limit) of 4 per site.  Most campgrounds have at least 6 or 8.  

Good point.

The old rule was that there was an extra charge for more than two adults- no extra charge for up to 8 children.  I thought that was fine, and things would be a lot better if they just enforced the old rule.  It would stink for me, as my kids are all adults now, but I'd be willing to pay the extra charge if it was uniformly enforced, as I believe that one step would cut down on the site overcrowding that we see today.

TCD

Good point.

The old rule was that there was an extra charge for more than two adults- no extra charge for up to 8 children.  I thought that was fine, and things would be a lot better if they just enforced the old rule.  It would stink for me, as my kids are all adults now, but I'd be willing to pay the extra charge if it was uniformly enforced, as I believe that one step would cut down on the site overcrowding that we see today.

TCD

My kids are teenagers and we have had to pay for them at several campgrounds. But even though the original listmaker said it wasn't a limit, it sounded like a limit.

Like most people are saying, if they enforce the current rules there would be a lot less issues.

I hate golf carts at the Fort!  Why, because I hate having to be on my toes constantly looking out for the ignorant, dangerous jackholes who ruin it for the rule abiding users. 

I go to the Fort to relax and enjoy time with my family and granddaughters, but it takes its toll worrying that they are going to get mowed down at any moment.  Yes I know there are jerks on bikes also, and they should be reprimanded also.

I love dogs/pets, but there is a time and place for them, and the Fort dumping them in every loop because for whatever reason, is not where they belong.  People that don't like or have phobias about dogs are no longer "welcome" or safe in the Fort.  At least previously those people (and I'm not one of them) knew where the pet loops were and could avoid them.  The beef I have about dogs is their clueless owners that leave Fifi at the crack of dawn to go to a park and come back after closing.  Meanwhile their fur baby has been whining, crying, barking all day long disturbing people in 3 or 4 loops.

And I've seen it on this site rarely and more so on other sites where people say if you don't like the way the Fort is, then don't come.  All that means is that the rule breakers/obnoxious/ignorant people have won.

Maybe we all need to start getting more vocal to the Fort management and to Disney customer service about the things that aren't being handled fairly or even at all.

Jose must have someone he reports to.  When you voice a concern in person, email, or regular mail, include him or her.  Let them know that the atmosphere at the Fort is deteriorating rapidly and it's no longer up to Walt's standards.

We used to try to hit up the Fort around the Holidays to see the decorations and take a wagon ride and get some snacks even if we weren't staying there.  But if  keeping us from visiting when we aren't staying there stops all the over the top freeloaders, then so be it.