Pirates of the Caribbean Refurb Complete - Magic Kingdom

We rode it last night.  As we were getting ready to board, we were told to get in row 1, until a family moved from rows 3 and 4 to rows 1 and 2.  We were then told to get in row 3.  I am glad we did.  I have NEVER seen that much water come over the bow of the boat going down the chute.  In the 20 years I've lived nearby, I've had to have ridden Pirates over a couple of hundred times, and I have never seen that much water.  There was about an inch of water sloshing around the bottom of the boat, and the people in the front looked like they rode Kali River Rapids and got stuck against a waterfall.  They were soaked.  They were not happy and hey rightfully asked the cast member at the exit why there aren't signs warning you you may get soaked. 

We were thrilled we didn't have the front since we had to head to dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table straight from there, and were glad we were only slightly wet.  

That is exactly what happened to us.  We will usually ride Pirates over and over, but we went once this trip and got soaked!  I'm talking more wet then Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids, even, and we haven't ridden since.  :(

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have seen the mermaids. Many times. They are hot. I believe Doctor Disney is a dentist with an ego problem. Not uncommon in that profession.

Not an eye doctor?   

Now I'll have to go back to look.

Wow.  That's a lot of reports of water in the boats.  To be clear, the boats taking on water is not a new problem.  It began when they swapped out the boats a couple of years ago.  I've heard that they tried the same boats at Disneyland, but Disneyland rejected them because of the water problems.  The idiots in charge at WDW didn't.  I thought this was an issue that they would address while the ride was down all summer.  Silly me.  Thinking that management would do the right thing.  When will I learn.

What about the alleged new scents on the ride?

No one has mentioned those.

The Disney Parks Blog made a big deal about them:

If you’re a regular Disney Parks Blog reader, you know that Pirates of the Caribbean at Walt Disney World Resort has been closed for work as part of our tradition of maintaining beloved classic attractions for current and future generations of guests. Today, we’re thrilled to share that the attraction has reopened.

pirates-caribbean-halloween-party-613x42

In addition to the restoration work and new paint inside the attraction, we added some enhanced special effects, including new cannons with water-based smoke and strobes for weather effects. There are also a handful of new scents to experience at different areas of the attraction.

We also took the opportunity to enhance the Audio Animatronic figures in this fan-favorite attraction at Magic Kingdom Park. Each character was rebuilt and fitted with new costumes and now appear even more realistic and authentic, including Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/09/pirates-of-the-caribbean-attraction-reopens-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

By new scents, I expect they mean something other than the moldy/mildew smell of the water and boats.

TCD

we couldn't believe how much water was in the bottom! There was a ton!! We were in row 4 and were only hit with a few drops but from the screams I heard other people got hammered.

Same the night we rode during MNSSHP. Made it interesting as I was wearing slippers as part of my costume. LOL

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wow.  That's a lot of reports of water in the boats.  To be clear, the boats taking on water is not a new problem.  It began when they swapped out the boats a couple of years ago.  I've heard that they tried the same boats at Disneyland, but Disneyland rejected them because of the water problems.  The idiots in charge at WDW didn't. 

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/09/pirates-of-the-caribbean-attraction-reopens-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

TCD

This is definitely a new problem.  You are correct, when the boats were changed, there was more water coming over, but not a ton of water.  When I say people are getting soaked, I'm not exaggerating.  This is now to the point of making Splash look like a dry ride.  I don't know if they raised the water level since the refurb, or if something else is going on.  Like I said, we rode it Saturday and it was bad.  On Sunday, my wife was at the Christmas party with some co-workers and they got soaked on Pirates.  Then my daughter, who was at the Magic Kingdom with her husband and friends last night, texted us to say they had the front row on Pirates and got soaked.  The water was nothing like this prior to the last work was done on it.

This is definitely a new problem.  You are correct, when the boats were changed, there was more water coming over, but not a ton of water.  When I say people are getting soaked, I'm not exaggerating.  This is now to the point of making Splash look like a dry ride.  I don't know if they raised the water level since the refurb, or if something else is going on.  Like I said, we rode it Saturday and it was bad.  On Sunday, my wife was at the Christmas party with some co-workers and they got soaked on Pirates.  Then my daughter, who was at the Magic Kingdom with her husband and friends last night, texted us to say they had the front row on Pirates and got soaked.  The water was nothing like this prior to the last work was done on it.

I am not sure how much you rode in the new boats after they were introduced, but the soaking was definitely happening then.  I, myself, was treated to a tidal wave in my lap upon my first ride in the new boats.  I was ticked because I had my phone in my pocket, and I had never experienced any thing like that. My daughter who worked in Adventureland last fall had friends who were CM's at Pirates.  It was SOP to throw paper FP's at guests who were soaked on the boats. It's a new problem, but it's not new since the latest refurbishment. I respectfully disagree with your statement that the water was nothing like this prior to the last work.  It was.

TCD

I am not sure how much you rode in the new boats after they were introduced, but the soaking was definitely happening then.  I, myself, was treated to a tidal wave in my lap upon my first ride in the new boats.  I was ticked because I had my phone in my pocket, and I had never experienced any thing like that. My daughter who worked in Adventureland last fall had friends who were CM's at Pirates.  It was SOP to throw paper FP's at guests who were soaked on the boats. It's a new problem, but it's not new since the latest refurbishment. I respectfully disagree with your statement that the water was nothing like this prior to the last work.  It was.

TCD

Sorry, we'll have to disagree.  I've ridden many times with the new boats and not only got very wet since the new boats arrived, but also got stuck a few times during the ride.  The water soakings now are much worse than even a couple of months ago.  Not only is there a LOT more water coming over, it is very consistent regardless of boat loading, etc.  Every boat now seems to have an inch or two of water in them.  I know they were having problems with the boats getting stuck, so I wonder if in fact they did raise the water level even more to try to avoid those delays.  Just wish they would replace the stupid boats.  It is amazing how much they flex when entering or exiting the ramps.