Pirates of the Caribbean Refurb Complete - Magic Kingdom

Are these mermaids the Disney Equivalent of a "snipe hunt"?

I swear they were real - I saw them with my own 2 eyes. And remember, there's no alcohol at MK.  8)

But they didn't always work almost from the get-go. And even when they did, unless you were looking for them you probably missed them.

There was a good bit of internet hubbub when they first added them, but they proved to be more hype than a real enhancement.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have seen the mermaids. Many times. They are hot. I believe Doctor Disney is a dentist with an ego problem. Not uncommon in that profession.

Not an eye doctor?   

Now I'll have to go back to look.

This was when they were first added about 3 years ago. They start around the 35 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbfVeHrsN0Q

Published on Oct 19, 2012
Mermaids have been added to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. You'll see them appear underwater on both sides of your boat as a song from the "Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides" movie plays. Then look for the mermaid skeleton on the beach.

I have seen the mermaids. Many times. They are hot.

I believe Doctor Disney is a dentist with an ego problem. Not uncommon in that profession.

I didn't realize they had beer.

Oh indeed they do!

Stella Artois Cidre, Belgium
Refreshing, crisp, and distinctive European cider made with hand-picked apples
$7.50

Kronenbourg 1664, France

A lager with a noble history, characterized by its fine taste, golden hues and delicate bitterness from Strisselspalt, a French aroma hop from Alsace
$6.50

Kronenbourg Blanc, France

A wheat beer with underlying tones of coriander and cloves, balanced with flavors of lemon zest and orange peel for a crisp taste
$6.50

Hoegaarden Wit, Belgium

With an aroma of orange peel, coriander and spice, its characteristic taste is smooth and light-bodied with a subtle, spiced citrus flavor
$6.50

Saison Dupont, Belgium

Refreshing farmhouse ale with flavors of orange, peel, clove, allspice, and citrus with a wonderfully fresh hop bouquet
$8.50

Chimay Red, Belgium

Oldest from the brewery with coppery color and creamy head. Hint of apricot in the bouquet
$10.75

Chimay Blue, Belgium

Dark Belgian Strong Ale brewed by Trappist monks. Aromas of spice and dried fruit with light caramel notes. Body is smooth and luscious with hoppy, sourdough flavors. Fresh yeast provides a rosy, floral touch

I can recommend the Kronenbourg Blanc and the Saison Dupont.

But yeah, at $6.50+ you're probably not going to drink enough to see imaginary mermaids.  ariel.gif

• 1 month later...

We rode it last night.  As we were getting ready to board, we were told to get in row 1, until a family moved from rows 3 and 4 to rows 1 and 2.  We were then told to get in row 3.  I am glad we did.  I have NEVER seen that much water come over the bow of the boat going down the chute.  In the 20 years I've lived nearby, I've had to have ridden Pirates over a couple of hundred times, and I have never seen that much water.  There was about an inch of water sloshing around the bottom of the boat, and the people in the front looked like they rode Kali River Rapids and got stuck against a waterfall.  They were soaked.  They were not happy and hey rightfully asked the cast member at the exit why there aren't signs warning you you may get soaked. 

We were thrilled we didn't have the front since we had to head to dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table straight from there, and were glad we were only slightly wet.  

We rode it last night.  As we were getting ready to board, we were told to get in row 1, until a family moved from rows 3 and 4 to rows 1 and 2.  We were then told to get in row 3.  I am glad we did.  I have NEVER seen that much water come over the bow of the boat going down the chute.  In the 20 years I've lived nearby, I've had to have ridden Pirates over a couple of hundred times, and I have never seen that much water.  There was about an inch of water sloshing around the bottom of the boat, and the people in the front looked like they rode Kali River Rapids and got stuck against a waterfall.  They were soaked.  They were not happy and hey rightfully asked the cast member at the exit why there aren't signs warning you you may get soaked. 

We were thrilled we didn't have the front since we had to head to dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table straight from there, and were glad we were only slightly wet.

thanks for the heads up.