Where should I stop...

Driving down with the kids on the 28th, I plan to pull over and "camp"  (boondock) for 6-7 hours that night, then finish on to the Fort early the next morning.  Any suggestions on a good (safe, easy to get in/out of place) to stop?  We'll take 75 from Atlanta; I hope to make it to as close to Gainesville as possible.

Thoughts??

When my grandparents had their motorhome we always just stayed in rest areas or parking lots. Havent traveled long enough in the trailer to worry about overnight's so dont know anymore.

There is a small rv park in wildwood right on the turn pike we stayed at when we picked our trailer up. It wasn't fancy by any means 20.00 a night full hookups but they did have some pull through sites and it is right off the turn pike and 75. Villager rv park 1201 s main st wildwood fl, 352-748-6007. Very friendly and let us check in late.

Seemed to be about half "permanent" residents, but everyone we ran into was very friendly. Not sure where that would put you on time frame, but an idea.

Might not be CW, may be the town that it is in. Some towns do not allow overnight parking to discourage transients.

Now if the Cracker Barrell does, than it may be a CW thing.

Looks like it is not allowed in Lake City. http://rvdailyreport.com/owner/florida-city-to-enforce-ban-on-overnight-parking-at-walmart/

Best Regards,

Norm

Might not be CW, may be the town that it is in. Some towns do not allow overnight parking to discourage transients.

Now if the Cracker Barrell does, than it may be a CW thing.

Best Regards,

Norm

Cracker Barrel does... as does Cracker Barrel farther down the road in Gainesville so, we will stop at one of those and then have breakfast in the morning.  Win/Win actually :)

Here's some info about FL rest areas...may or may not be helpful

• Are Florida's rest areas open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
    answer.jpgYes.

• Do you have overnight security at Florida's rest areas?
    answer.jpgYes.

• Can I park and sleep all night at Florida's rest areas?
    answer.jpgNo, the rules only allow for 3 hours of rest.

• Are there separate areas for cars and trucks/RV's to park at Florida's rest areas?
    answer.jpgYes.

Thank you... I did find that info, but the 3 hour limit scared me (I'm not sure that they actually enforce this but...who knows).   I wish I had another Fiend stopping with me, but I do think our best bet (and my goal) is to make it to the Cracker Barrel in Gainesville.

Thanks again.

I'm looking for a place to stop myself in SC on the way down 95. I was going to go to South of the Border, but if I'm still ok I want to go farther so the ride is as short as it can be on 10/31. My wife isn't keen on rest stops, and I don't know how full they are going to be at 2 in the morning.

Best Regards,

Norm

I'm looking for a place to stop myself in SC on the way down 95. I was going to go to South of the Border, but if I'm still ok I want to go farther so the ride is as short as it can be on 10/31. My wife isn't keen on rest stops, and I don't know how full they are going to be at 2 in the morning.

Best Regards,

Norm

There is a KOA just off I-95 in Yemassee, SC. Have no idea what it's like.

We stop at the KOA in Savannah, GA. It is clean and easy to get into and out of. It is about 4.5 - 5 hours to FW. 

There is a KOA just off I-95 in Yemassee, SC. Have no idea what it's like.

We stop at the KOA in Savannah, GA. It is clean and easy to get into and out of. It is about 4.5 - 5 hours to FW. 

Thanks, I'll check the one in SC out. GA would be too far and timing wouldn't work.

Best Regards,

Norm

New Green Acres is a good stop, have stayed there many times.  Long pull throughs, easy on-off highway and they have a late check-in kiosk.

There is a KOA in Florence (correction, not KOA anymore, now it is the Florence RV Park) but that isn't that much further than SOB and given the choice we ALWAYS stop at SOB....

After all where else can you see a reptile zoo, take an elevator up into a sombrero, get great bisquits and gravy, and also stock up on rubber snakes!    :D

Oh, and their CG is quiet, cheap and clean, bathrooms are decent but older, and it is gated at night to keep the rubber snake buyers out.....   ;)

I was looking at New Green Acres and was thinking that would be a good choice. As long as I can get there by 2, I can get 5 hours sleep and still be in by 2 which would give us time to get set up and to the golf cart parade. All depends on getting south without to many hassles.. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might I suggest not overthinking it? We drive until we're about an hour or so from being ready to stop. It's at that point that my wife checks Google and the Allstays Camp & RV app for locations that are 60-miles or so from where we are. We can usually find a campground or Walmart. For a night, we can suffer the most undesirable of places from a campground perspective. We're just there to sleep (and usually sleep in because we aren't early risers).

If you're doing the Walmart thing, make sure you call ahead to verify whatever source you refer to and that they do allow overnight parking. It's good juju to ask where they'd like you when you arrive (some have specific areas of the parking lot that they prefer people to be in).

Even in Walmarts, we're those evil people who are there until 9-10am before we finally get rolling.

Thank you... I did find that info, but the 3 hour limit scared me (I'm not sure that they actually enforce this but...who knows).   I wish I had another Fiend stopping with me, but I do think our best bet (and my goal) is to make it to the Cracker Barrel in Gainesville.

Thanks again.

Ok i dug deep on to this and found a place for you, its just north of Gainsville in Alachua, its called Travelers Campground, and they have a dedicated overnight area http://www.travelerscampground.com/pages/overnight_area.htm

It just off the highway so its not to far out of the way. it looks like they have 42 Overnight sites that are pull thru  http://www.travelerscampground.com/pages/camp_map.htm but they dont list the rates on the site

There is another camp ground a few exits north of this one and with tax a normal site is $30/ night

Its 130 miles away from Ft wilderness ( 2:10) and its 315 miles from Atlanta so you're looking at a 4.5 hour drive.

Ok i dug deep on to this and found a place for you, its just north of Gainsville in Alachua, its called Travelers Campground, and they have a dedicated overnight area http://www.travelerscampground.com/pages/overnight_area.htm

It just off the highway so its not to far out of the way. it looks like they have 42 Overnight sites that are pull thru  http://www.travelerscampground.com/pages/camp_map.htm but they dont list the rates on the site

There is another camp ground a few exits north of this one and with tax a normal site is $30/ night

Its 130 miles away from Ft wilderness ( 2:10) and its 315 miles from Atlanta so you're looking at a 4.5 hour drive.

Thank you... appreciate you digging into this for me!  :)

Even in Walmarts, we're those evil people who are there until 9-10am before we finally get rolling.

Nope, the evil folks are the ones that crank up their diesel at 5am in the morning to "get on the road" while us normal folks are trying to sleep in

Nope, the evil folks are the ones that crank up their diesel at 5am in the morning to "get on the road" while us normal folks are trying to sleep in

Carol, did you think this post thru first, NORMAL PEOPLE? and your on this site?? you off your meds again :laugh:  :laugh:

Count us among the "evil folks."  No matter where we are, we always crank up the diesel and leave by 4:30 a.m.