When I turned in modem package 91A on Jan 9th, I told the CM at the TP to save it for me in July.  He said I won't need it by then, that they are projecting March for the WiFi installation, and they are ahead of schedule, likely completion in February.

Related topic?:  I was in 1004, next to the path to the 900 CS.  On the 1005(?) side of the path, there was a wooden pole.  I had assumed it was a dead tree the bark had fallen from.  On closer examination, it is a commercial pole that has been cleaned of any bark, and perhaps rot protected.  Is this one of the poles of which a few of you speak?  It is shorter than the trees in the area, cut off flat on top, and apparently there for some time (no evidence of recent installation)..  And as an aside, there were maybe 10+ dead trees along that path.

Yes that is probably one of the poles they have/had been installing for the WiFi network. The ones we saw being installed were just you standard utility pole.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Antennas are being installed and wired. They are different from most, antennas on top and bottom.

Here's a picture of the WiFi equipment being installed on site 1422 a few minutes ago. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They've had Wi Fi in the cabins and at the Meadow for a long time! So yup, they have Wi Fi and met their Monday deadline!

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Antennas are being installed and wired. They are different from most, antennas on top and bottom.

20160203_135303.jpg

Looks like an access point using MIMO technology to me.  Maybe Disney is doing this job right, that kind of equipment doesn't come cheap.  Wonder how many nodes this system will have to cover the whole Fort?

6 hours ago, southernview -- Ray said:

Looks like an access point using MIMO technology to me.  Maybe Disney is doing this job right, that kind of equipment doesn't come cheap.  Wonder how many nodes this system will have to cover the whole Fort?

Whenever I talked to the communications people( working on a cable or internet problem) they said when they found the best way to cover the FORT it would go in. Haven't counted poles. Maybe this weekend.

18 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Whenever I talked to the communications people( working on a cable or internet problem) they said when they found the best way to cover the FORT it would go in. Haven't counted poles. Maybe this weekend.

With all of the trees and vegetation, it would seem that there would have to be several.  In an average scenario the spacing would normally be about 600 feet, but there is not much line of sight area there.  Then again, it depends upon exactly what equipment they are using, my guess could be wrong.

I know we.missed some since they are well hidden and vegetation does appear to be part of the placement.

So far 42 poles, some wired some not. Also I don't think they are done with poles. Didn't find any in 100 or 1700. I am wondering if they will also utilize CS roofs, but of course that would be a logical decision.

32 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for the Fiend on the scene report, Dave.

That's a lot of poles!

I wonder why there aren't any on 100 and 1700?

TCD

We may have missed them some were hard to spot. . Also some poles in the same loop aren't wired yet and some are. 

11 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I know we.missed some since they are well hidden and vegetation does appear to be part of the placement.

So far 42 poles, some wired some not. Also I don't think they are done with poles. Didn't find any in 100 or 1700. I am wondering if they will also utilize CS roofs, but of course that would be a logical decision.

That's a lot of access sites and it looks like they are having to put in extra because of the foliage which, no doubt, was necessary.  Have the poles got wiring going down to the ground--I'm wondering where they are drawing power from? 

7 hours ago, southernview -- Ray said:

That's a lot of access sites and it looks like they are having to put in extra because of the foliage which, no doubt, was necessary.  Have the poles got wiring going down to the ground--I'm wondering where they are drawing power from? 

I would suspect they just trench and tie into the site utility system. With the couple of poles I saw put being up they weren't more than 10 feet back from the road and about the same from the nearest sites post.

7 hours ago, southernview -- Ray said:

They've been doing horizontal boring in some areas.

Here's a picture of the WiFi equipment being installed on site 1422 a few minutes ago. f8dae909d0da4b4e84c7a0ab9f1d6849.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, swimmarz said:

Grumpy beat me but here is the 1400 loop behind 1424, were packing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, ceemike...Mike & Judy said:

Sorry, that should be site 1922.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the updates!!

I am no expert, but there is a technology called power over Ethernet
the Cable used to connected the access point to the net work can also provide power to the unit, this would reduce the wiring going up the pole and reduces the install time, should be just 1 connection, 2 straps, run the conduit and move on

8 minutes ago, swimmarz said:

I am no expert, but there is a technology called power over Ethernet
the Cable used to connected the access point to the net work can also provide power to the unit, this would reduce the wiring going up the pole and reduces the install time, should be just 1 connection, 2 straps, run the conduit and move on

That would depend on the power requirements. If the draw is to high for the wires in the Ethernet cable it will either burn out or cause signal degradation. 

24 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

That would depend on the power requirements. If the draw is to high for the wires in the Ethernet cable it will either burn out or cause signal degradation. 

the specs that i am aware of indicate a max of 25-30 watts, now that may not sound like a lot, but as a reference my Apple Airport Extreme only uses 7 watts of power, 
I looked up what could be what they are using at the fort and found it could be a repackaged WND930 Outdoor Dual Band Wireless-N, and that spec for power consumption is 15.2 watts and thats still well under the limit of what POE can do.

I doubt they are running these off of an Ethernet as they would have to install one. Most likely they are running off of the cable network which has the ability to provide phantom power or these are acting as wireless bridges (i.e. entirely wireless network) and getting their power the traditional way from the campground power system. 

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

I doubt they are running these off of an Ethernet as they would have to install one. Most likely they are running off of the cable network which has the ability to provide phantom power or these are acting as wireless bridges (i.e. entirely wireless network) and getting their power the traditional way from the campground power system. 

just a thought, those green boxes they installed earlier could be the switch/ POE injector, 1 green box supports 4-8 poles? then you only worry about connecting power/ cable to the green box vs every pole
who knows were all guessing here