• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Antennas are being installed and wired. They are different from most, antennas on top and bottom.

Here's a picture of the WiFi equipment being installed on site 1422 a few minutes ago. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They've had Wi Fi in the cabins and at the Meadow for a long time! So yup, they have Wi Fi and met their Monday deadline!

Posted Images

I put in a request again to have wireless access for the bank laptop.  DENIED.  I'm supposed to go to Coral Springs, FL before the end of the year to pick up a large consignment for the day job but will not be able to go if the evening job (The Bank - which pays more then the day job) won't allow it.  Now I'm getting worried I'll have to cancel the Fort Trip as well.

So they won't turn the wireless on for your bank laptop? What if you use an access point, i.e. What has already been mentioned? For those needing non wireless connections. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that those still show up during the set up for a VPN as a wireless connection and get denied. I know my previous employer (the wife still works there) had their network set up that way to deny any wireless connections for security purposes.  But, with that being said I have no idea how they could tell.

I put in a request again to have wireless access for the bank laptop.  DENIED.  I'm supposed to go to Coral Springs, FL before the end of the year to pick up a large consignment for the day job but will not be able to go if the evening job (The Bank - which pays more then the day job) won't allow it.  Now I'm getting worried I'll have to cancel the Fort Trip as well.

Don't you have a VPN at the bank you can connect through? Before retiring I did all of my wireless access, both public and private, via the corporate VPN where everything was encrypted between the VPN client and server. I would even access customer banks via the VPN to debug software problems and the banks never had any issues knowing this. 

Don't you have a VPN at the bank you can connect through? Before retiring I did all of my wireless access, both public and private, via the corporate VPN where everything was encrypted between the VPN client and server. I would even access customer banks via the VPN to debug software problems and the banks never had any issues knowing this. 

Of course.  I connect to the VPN from Home via my wired router connection.  In order to work from home, they required me to have no wireless traffic through the same network that I'm wired through.  They set me up with a wireless router with 2 networks.  All wireless traffic is on the 2nd network. 

Wireless is disabled through the bios and there is a bios password on my laptop and that password is stored on a document that is locked up in a safe in the server room.  The combo to that safe is known only to a few select VPs.  The laptop of course in encrypted as well as the VPN connection, but they want me to be locked down tighter then a frog's &*%($&.  My primary job duty is what is generically called End of Day Processing.  I'm responsible for transmitting all the info for the day to the Fed.  Most of my work is through the AS/400 system.  I have functions done through other software suites as well and am responsible for doing light maintenance to the ATM network among others.  It has been recently reinforced to me that the data that I transmit and have access to is too vulnerable to transmit over wireless at this juncture.  I'm the only one at the bank at this moment that can do this job.  My back up is my Supervisor but he is there from 8-5 during the day and it's hard for him to work into the early hours of the morning to do my job.  He filled in for my last on March 6th (off for my anniversary and at the Fort) and April 16th. A couple of errors were made that day due to not being familiar with all the steps and being tired from working all day long as he had to go in 2 hours earlier for Itera maintenance and I expectantly called off due to having to take care of things with my almost 17 year old cat dying after surgery.  My supervisor doesn't even have the ability to go wireless but his supervisor does (a VP).

Jose will come to the realization that all those pesky trees at the Fort will wreak havoc on the wifi signals, and will have to come down.  Give it a few years, and the Fort will look like this.  

_K7J8403-lg.JPG

That's Fort Wilderness Trail down the middle.  

That looks like  PirateLand Family Camping Resort in Myrtle Beach, SC!

Of course.  I connect to the VPN from Home via my wired router connection.  In order to work from home, they required me to have no wireless traffic through the same network that I'm wired through.  They set me up with a wireless router with 2 networks.  All wireless traffic is on the 2nd network. 

Wireless is disabled through the bios and there is a bios password on my laptop and that password is stored on a document that is locked up in a safe in the server room.  The combo to that safe is known only to a few select VPs.  The laptop of course in encrypted as well as the VPN connection, but they want me to be locked down tighter then a frog's &*%($&.  My primary job duty is what is generically called End of Day Processing.  I'm responsible for transmitting all the info for the day to the Fed.  Most of my work is through the AS/400 system.  I have functions done through other software suites as well and am responsible for doing light maintenance to the ATM network among others.  It has been recently reinforced to me that the data that I transmit and have access to is too vulnerable to transmit over wireless at this juncture.  I'm the only one at the bank at this moment that can do this job.  My back up is my Supervisor but he is there from 8-5 during the day and it's hard for him to work into the early hours of the morning to do my job.  He filled in for my last on March 6th (off for my anniversary and at the Fort) and April 16th. A couple of errors were made that day due to not being familiar with all the steps and being tired from working all day long as he had to go in 2 hours earlier for Itera maintenance and I expectantly called off due to having to take care of things with my almost 17 year old cat dying after surgery.  My supervisor doesn't even have the ability to go wireless but his supervisor does (a VP).

If the boss says "No" that's it I guess. In an effort not to hijack further I'm familiar with most bank processing. My first job was as a field engineer supporting the big 3890 check sorters for a coop of small local banks. FYI I've been inside the Fed's computers from my home wireless network too. I designed and wrote parts of the IO subsystem for the mainframe z/OS and was a company rep to the IETF for a number of years overseeing the architecture of the TCP/IP communications stack. One thing that might work is to tunnel a SNA connection like LU6.2 to the AS/400 under the VPN. Definitely more secure but would take some programming but it would require the same mindset change that you are working under now.

Back on subject. As I turned in my borrowed cable modem yesterday I told the CM that next time we shouldn't have to go through this. She just laughed one of those dream on laughs. She then said something along the line of you would think with Disney being a technology company they should have been able to get WiFi working in short order but she expects this to go the way of past attempts and not work well and be removed for something new.

Back on subject. As I turned in my borrowed cable modem yesterday I told the CM that next time we shouldn't have to go through this. She just laughed one of those dream on laughs. She then said something along the line of you would think with Disney being a technology company they should have been able to get WiFi working in short order but she expects this to go the way of past attempts and not work well and be removed for something new.

The CM that we got our modem kit from must have been new, or at least not around long enough to know that when they're told "seriously, it's coming in November" you're supposed to just roll your eyes and say "riiiiiiiiiiight."

But hey - it's still November!  I'm still hoping some Fiend on the Scene is going to pop on here sometime in the next 8 days and say 'WE HAVE WIFI!!!"

#optimism

Are they really that bad?

Many can be.  The Fort is a unique animal when it comes to Disney lodging, but the higher ups seem to feel that if you have worked at one resort you can work at any.  I always seem to end up with CMs who have never been to the Fort before and have no idea what is outside the four walls of the building they are standing in,  They are nice, they try to be helpful - but hey, many times they have no idea what a camper is, what a comfort station looks like or anyting about the Fort.

They put another post in today at 1329 and said it was for wifi.

So why didn't they just put it in on the same day they did another pole in 1300 last week? It only takes 10-15 minutes and they are done. It would allow the folks doing the rest of the install to come behind and finish the loop. With this type of organization it's a wonder Disney gets anything done at all.

So why didn't they just put it in on the same day they did another pole in 1300 last week? It only takes 10-15 minutes and they are done. It would allow the folks doing the rest of the install to come behind and finish the loop. With this type of organization it's a wonder Disney gets anything done at all.

What kind of crazy talk is this?   Are you suggesting that there be some kind of thought put in to an "improvement" project at the Fort?

That is not how it's done there.

Just wait and see how well this wireless network works once Larry, Mo and Curly get all the poles up.

TCD

What kind of crazy talk is this?   Are you suggesting that there be some kind of thought put in to an "improvement" project at the Fort?

That is not how it's done there.

Just wait and see how well this wireless network works once Larry, Mo and Curly get all the poles up.

TCD

Such a negative outlook.  Everyone knows Shemp is running this operation.

In the pursuit of historical accuracy, the three stooges started out with Moe, Larry & Shemp.  Shemp quickly left to pursue a solo career and was replaced by his brother Curly.  When Curly died Shemp returned to the group.  All in all there were six "Three Stooges" ; Moe & Larry were there through all the years and the others were: Shemp, Curly, Joe and Curly Joe.

Such a negative outlook.  Everyone knows Shemp is running this operation.

In the pursuit of historical accuracy, the three stooges started out with Moe, Larry & Shemp.  Shemp quickly left to pursue a solo career and was replaced by his brother Curly.  When Curly died Shemp returned to the group.  All in all there were six "Three Stooges" ; Moe & Larry were there through all the years and the others were: Shemp, Curly, Joe and Curly Joe.

I am impressed by the depth of your stooge knowledge.

So, Shemp and Curly were brothers?  I never knew that.

And Curly Joe.  I forgot about him.  Did he come after Shemp left a second time? 

TCD

I am impressed by the depth of your stooge knowledge.

So, Shemp and Curly were brothers?  I never knew that.

And Curly Joe.  I forgot about him.  Did he come after Shemp left a second time? 

TCD

Moe, Shemp and Curley, real name Jerome were brothers. Joe Besser came in after Shemp died and than Joe Derita who was Curley Joe came in after that. There actually was a Fake Shemp that played in 4 shorts that were contracted, and he was played by Joe Palma

Best Regards,

Norm