• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope they ban ALL carts at the fort. Go back to a nice bike ride or walk.

We were just on the 100 loop from the 26-2nd and did notice several faster gas powered karts(we didn't know they were allowed) as one passed us on our electric kart on evening. we also noticed the gol

Well I won't say it can't be done. But there is no cart approved path to get you there. So the right answer is no you can't take your cart to the Lodge.

As a walker I don't mind sharing a path with bicyclists as long as they follow the protocol of announcing where they are when they come up from behind. It isn't that hard to say "Passing on left" or "Passing on right" and we get that when we take walks on our dual use trails nearby our house. The problem with the Fort is I have yet to have any cyclist announce they are coming up behind me so I would prefer they stay off the sidewalks.

But the cart path there is flush with the ground, so chances of falling over on your bike are less than on the other, higher path.

If you were walking, would you like a bike falling over on you?

For years we took bikes to the fort and I enjoyed it. But I never liked riding my bike with the people walking onot the sidea walks. There kids would step out right in front of you. So we bought a cart.

For years we took bikes to the fort and I enjoyed it. But I never liked riding my bike with the people walking onot the sidea walks. There kids would step out right in front of you. So we bought a cart.

Owning a cart won't stop people from stepping out in front of you it just means you won't fall down too.  :lol:

You must be reading my mind. :) We've been here since Christmas Eve and it is really getting out of hand. There was a cart with about 5 or so guys in their late teens/early 20s flying around the loops making a lot of noise, blowing their horn, blaring their radio. They drove off t J e road and into a bush, got out to pull the cart out and took off. Kids of all ages driving. We were talking to someone who has been coming since the train was here and they are getting sick of it. They said it is getting out of control. Someone is going to get hurt or worse. We've heard skidding golf carts on our loop (200) several times. It will take an accident to change things.

We were just on the 100 loop from the 26-2nd and did notice several faster gas powered karts(we didn't know they were allowed) as one passed us on our electric kart on evening. we also noticed the golf karts have gotten more and more reckless over the last 10 years. I can remember coming in the late 90s and it seems like there was only about 20 karts parked at the old spot by the settlement bus stop. Now there is so many parked at the new spot by pioneer hall it's crazy.

I can attest to the barricades in the pedestrian path being a pain for bike trailers, and I find the bikes on the ped path counter intuitive. In the world outside of Disney, bikes are supposed to ride on the road with other traffic, not on sidewalks. I tend to follow that rule unless safety dictates otherwise. I agree ped paths are probably good for smaller kids on bikes though and perhaps that is what they intended.

I can attest to the barricades in the pedestrian path being a pain for bike trailers, and I find the bikes on the ped path counter intuitive. In the world outside of Disney, bikes are supposed to ride on the road with other traffic, not on sidewalks. I tend to follow that rule unless safety dictates otherwise. I agree ped paths are probably good for smaller kids on bikes though and perhaps that is what they intended.

I guess. 

Oh, one night after the fireworks, my husband was following a cart on the cart path and I was coming up behind on the ped path. The traffic director directed them both to turn left, so I dropped right in behind from the other path, which is like 1-2 ft. away at that point. Literally directly behind them. In any normal world that makes complete sense and is totally safe, but the traffic guy chastised me with, "now, you have to wait for me to tell you to go - we don't know which way they were going." I am not sure which "they" he was referring to, but I'm pretty sure it was the ones he had just directed to go left and not the ones on the left that he hadn't given any directions to yet.  I yelled back as I was riding away, "thanks, but I could tell exactly where they were going."

Same here, we have used our ZIGO bike (kind of a pedal-powered jog stroller) at the Fort and it was not as easy as I would have guessed. I would really have to pay attention to the junctions to see if I was going to have to jump the bike over curbs and out into traffic.

I also agree that when I am on my MtnBike at the Fort, I stay mostly on the road or the cart paths. It has been ingrained in me to NOT ride bicycles on sidewalks.

I hope they ban ALL carts at the fort. Go back to a nice bike ride or walk.

Not a popular position here on FortFiends I'll bet, but I am forced to agree with you. The carts have gotten out of control and are one of the reasons FW is no longer the peaceful low-key escape we all remember.

As handy as a cart has been for us, on those trips we don't get one we have been able to get everywhere we needed to be by foot, bicycle, or car.  Saved some money on those trips and didn't put on as many lbs as usual   :lol:

Maybe a compromise would be to rent more of those pedal-powered surrey bikes in their place.   ;) 

More golf carts and outlaw bikes. Bikes are to dangerous because they fall over.

I'd be happy with that if they also outlaw cars as well.

Keep it simple. Golf carts on the road, walkers on the sidewalks.  No cars past the front gate. It could work.  

Or even better, bring back the open trams for getting around the Fort.

Or even better better, bring back the Steam Trains!

I'd be happy with that if they also outlaw cars as well.

Keep it simple. Golf carts on the road, walkers on the sidewalks.  No cars past the front gate. It could work.  

Or even better, bring back the open trams for getting around the Fort.

Or even better better, bring back the Steam Trains!

I like the way you think.

Not a popular position here on FortFiends I'll bet, but I am forced to agree with you. The carts have gotten out of control and are one of the reasons FW is no longer the peaceful low-key escape we all remember.

As handy as a cart has been for us, on those trips we don't get one we have been able to get everywhere we needed to be by foot, bicycle, or car.  Saved some money on those trips and didn't put on as many lbs as usual   :lol:

Maybe a compromise would be to rent more of those pedal-powered surrey bikes in their place.   ;)

2 thumbs up on this.

I think the carts have gotten out of hand also.

Just found this thread and am glad for the input.  We're going to have 18 or so people from 11 months to 74 years on our trip this summer  :wacko: and transportation to and around the Fort is definitely going to be an issue.  Everyone except about 4-5 of us will be staying at the Fort in either a trailer or one of 2 cabins.  The rest of us (including my niece, my DDs and me) will be staying at WL.  We'll all be having meals together at FW and I expect it will be late at night when we are ready to return to WL.  Since so many people are flying, transporting bikes down there will be difficult and it sounds like a golf cart just isn't likely going to work for our purposes.  I'd hate to have to take a bus each way.   Maybe I can talk someone into taking us back and forth in my dad's truck.  

I'm so excited about this trip, though, so it's a fun problem to try to figure out!  :)

Just found this thread and am glad for the input.  We're going to have 18 or so people from 11 months to 74 years on our trip this summer  :wacko: and transportation to and around the Fort is definitely going to be an issue.  Everyone except about 4-5 of us will be staying at the Fort in either a trailer or one of 2 cabins.  The rest of us (including my niece, my DDs and me) will be staying at WL.  We'll all be having meals together at FW and I expect it will be late at night when we are ready to return to WL.  Since so many people are flying, transporting bikes down there will be difficult and it sounds like a golf cart just isn't likely going to work for our purposes.  I'd hate to have to take a bus each way.   Maybe I can talk someone into taking us back and forth in my dad's truck.  

I'm so excited about this trip, though, so it's a fun problem to try to figure out!  :)

The bus ride to the lodge from the fort and back is not bad. It's the only bus ride we do in all of disney.

The bus ride to the lodge from the fort and back is not bad. It's the only bus ride we do in all of disney.

We enjoy the ride and it's our only bus use as well. The walk from the bus stop to the lobby is short enough we don't need to mess with the scooters.

I agree.  Especially if you're on a loop served by they Yellow bus route.  The Yellow bus route travels through the campground and then becomes the Wilderness Lodge bus when it gets to the Settlement bus stop.  If you want to go on to the Lodge, you can stay on and go directly there.  On the way back, once the bus gets to the Settlement, it turns into the Yellow bus, and heads through the campground all the way to the Outpost.  Since the bus uses a direct bus-only road between the Fort and the Lodge, it gets you there faster and easier than driving.

TCD

We'll all be having meals together at FW and I expect it will be late at night when we are ready to return to WL.  

I hope for your sake that it's not so late at night that you have a problem like we did on New Year's Eve when no internal buses came to the Settlement bus depot. Make sure you find out how late the internal buses and the FW to WL buses will be running.

I hope for your sake that it's not so late at night that you have a problem like we did on New Year's Eve when no internal buses came to the Settlement bus depot. Make sure you find out how late the internal buses and the FW to WL buses will be running.

Your experience on NYE was an anomaly.  I know from your thread on this that your experience happened after 12:40 am on NYE, and it appears that no one in Fort management was bright enough to realize that some extra bus coverage was needed.

During normal operations, the bus service between the Lodge and the Fort is excellent and reliable, even late at night.

TCD