Well we reached the point of it " cost to much to go to the fort " .  Now over 100 clams a night plus pet,resort and taxes , that hurts.  We live in Florida and have AAA . We let our annual passes go because of the price increase this year.  I guess we will save up for the special times and go 1 or 2 times a year.  Now gas prices are going sky high maybe the prices will come down. Sorry for the rant but we would go 6-8 times a year for long weekends.  What's to much for you?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we just finished our 8th trip since last May and even with the annual passholder discount it still cost 90+ per night for a premium site, I am beginning to think between the cost of the passes and the site , I may be cutting back, actually for the first time in a year we have no plans to go back right now

I completely understand. I don?t mind paying a premium price for premium accommodations and services, but I do mind being gouged, and that is what it is becoming at those prices.    :argh:

We still go about 6 times a year. Thankfully we live close enough to do that, especially with gas prices the way they are going! We try to stay away from the expensive holiday times, except for Memorial Day.( That's my sons annual Birthday trip so we just "suck it up.") Many times over the years we have said we would not pay those prices anymore. We go somewhere else, spend about half of what the fort would cost, and we're miserable! We've decided that the prices are not going down (as was evident a couple of weeks ago, it was packed) So we sacrifice other things while we're at home to make up the difference. We don't go to bars, movies, & very rarely eat out. It's just part of the budget. I feel for all of you that are far away and also have to add fuel into the over all cost. :argh:

For the major holidays we splurge because we love the Fort during holidays (cept the crowds), for other visits we rely on the CM discount for sites. We do get a premium because it is easier to get our rig into and is worth the extra moola for peace of mind. We can do a fort trip on the cheap with the CM discount and even do a park or two using the free passes we get. We use to go more often, but its work keeping us away right now, not prices.

We didn't have plans on going this year but I got the discount on a premium site and my husband's company is paying for our gas and our campground. He has a convention to go to in Orlando and it was cheaper for them to pay mileage/gas and stay at FW then for them to pay the $150/night at a hotel. Otherwise, it would have been next year and we would have had to saved for it.

We haven't been in three years due to a change in income and other various reasons previously stated by others in this post...job changes being another one.  No children currently living at home and the need to go is KILLING ME!!!  We have taken a few flights down for long weekends but were unable to stay at the Fort but did visit.  We are hoping to become snowbirds for the first time this winter though and I would like to look at employment opportunities at WDW at that time.  Still checking out different areas to hang our hats but we are definitely going to do it!!

Nancy

I take Deb's line of thinking. If I can't get in for less than 70, I don't go.  We have actually been going to other places with fiends during the year and loving it.  The gas prices are starting to hurt with diesel being over four bucks a gallon now.  We got a week rate at Crystal river for 99 bucks for the whole week for our spring break.  That alone will save us a bundle over the fort and no yellow flies.  I have gone to letting a travel agent now book my reservations because I just cants stand their system anymore and I just now give her the parameters of what I can and cannot do.  The fort is nice, but if I have to stay offsite and visit, I will.  I just will not justify all that money every weekend I want to stay.

I love the Fort more than any campground we have ever been to. But that being said we are camping at other places (some really bad). But the one thing that I have found if you go with other people even the bad ain't so bad. For us it just being with fiends that make the time camping fun. Of course it's all better at the fort, but we have had some really good times at other places.

When we first started going to the Fort, it was the hottest deal on property.  Not so much any more.  We used to go every year, now it is becoming more of an occassional vacation destination.  More like an every few years treat.  This year, Pigeon Forge.

I love the Fort more than any campground we have ever been to. But that being said we are camping at other places (some really bad). But the one thing that I have found if you go with other people even the bad ain't so bad. For us it just being with fiends that make the time camping fun. Of course it's all better at the fort, but we have had some really good times at other places.

Hell, I will even listen to the sewage pump all night long just to camp with Fiends! :siren:

We need to be careful - it was a thread like this that started the whole fiendflush thing.

We have Christmas ressies this year but will most likely cancel them, the ever increasing price of the site along with fuel and some disappointing problems last year all add up to staying home. Unless something turns around in the next year I predict our streak of at least one trip a year will be shattered.

We need to be careful - it was a thread like this that started the whole fiendflush thing.

Absolutely not, I don't think we need to be careful. It's a new day. Snarky is as Snarky does.

Back on topic. If you're going to the Fort just to camp, I don't think it's worth it. I wouldn't pay it. But if you're going to take advantage of what WDW has to offer, it's worth every cent and even I would pay it.

For those that are close by and have done everything at WDW dozens of times, getting a reasonable rate is crucial.   

If we have the money then we are going and if we don't then we won't .

I agree.  Just yesterday I asked my 10 year old if she would want to stay at ASMo IF it would be cheaper. (It appears our next trip is going to just be the 2 of us.)  She let me know real quick like that even if we can't go until next year because we need more time to save, she would rather wait and stay at the Fort.  I love that girl!