On 4/10/2016 at 0:17 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Yes, it makes sense. Now the rate changes on a daily basis depending on weekday, weekend, season.

Up until about 5 years ago (maybe even longer, time flies!), the day you checked in was the rate you payed throughout the stay. Lot's of folks were checking in during value season and getting that rate for their entire stay, even over Christmas!

Thanks for the answer.  That's too bad, several years ago we took advantage of that old loophole to stay for a little over 2 and a half weeks and got the lower rate of our first day.  Since then our stays have been just a week or less each time.   I can see them changing the rate for a month long stay by each week, but every day and even the higher weekend rate?   It must take awhile to print out the bill!  :lol:

On 4/10/2016 at 1:17 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Yep and Zero, Nada, No discounts... Word is even CM's are having trouble getting discounted sites.

I thought the new reservation system was done to discourage weekenders and encourage longer stays?  

I really miss the days when you could get a AAA and an AP discount, plus hope for an upgrade at check in....

If they do change over the 2100 loop, at least that will be 40 or so "new" campsites and will help a little bit.  

• 1 month later...

Stayed for over 3 months in 2012. You can stay at the Fort as long as you want, but reservations can only be made in 30 day increments. I was advised the 30 day max was because under Florida law, Disney would have to go through an civil eviction process if you were made to leave.

Suggestions: pick what campsite you want and they will try to accommodate you. I like the 100 loop, because we like to decorate for the holidays. Also it is a short walk to Trails End to make use of your refillable cup, if you have one. Also you will need to get a cable modem and be put on a list to get one. Sometimes you can pick up the wifi signal from Crocketts, but it is weak.

2 hours ago, ftwildernessrick said:

Stayed for over 3 months in 2012. You can stay at the Fort as long as you want, but reservations can only be made in 30 day increments. I was advised the 30 day max was because under Florida law, Disney would have to go through an civil eviction process if you were made to leave.

Suggestions: pick what campsite you want and they will try to accommodate you. I like the 100 loop, because we like to decorate for the holidays. Also it is a short walk to Trails End to make use of your refillable cup, if you have one. Also you will need to get a cable modem and be put on a list to get one. Sometimes you can pick up the wifi signal from Crocketts, but it is weak.

No more cable modems. They have WiFi available throughout the entire campground. They got it working about a month ago.

I wonder how the cable modems will affect some of those that stayed a month or longer, IE those that work from home like myself, I would need the cable modem, so i cant work from the fort

I think the 30 day limit is great, however the part where you can renew it constantly really means its not a limit, its more of a loophole 

14 minutes ago, swimmarz said:

I wonder how the cable modems will affect some of those that stayed a month or longer, IE those that work from home like myself, I would need the cable modem, so i cant work from the fort

I think the 30 day limit is great, however the part where you can renew it constantly really means its not a limit, its more of a loophole 

I'm thinking those that seriously work from home/work remotely have their own internet source. I do.

Although I do know of a couple of folks that cannot have a wireless connection, so the Fort having the cable modems was really nice.

3 hours ago, swimmarz said:

I've heard it's really just to prevent anyone from being able to declare "residency" at the Fort.  If they can technically move you every 30 days (they don't of course) you don't "reside" on your campsite.  It's similar up this way in MA state parks.  There's a limit on how long you can stay, but they actually do make you leave and return - you can't have consecutive reservations.

3 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I'm thinking those that seriously work from home/work remotely have their own internet source. I do.

Although I do know of a couple of folks that cannot have a wireless connection, so the Fort having the cable modems was really nice.

If we manage to pull off our 4 week trip this year, I will likely need to have my own reliable connection as a backup.  As a graphic designer I move pretty big files around and can't rely on the Fort's WiFi being steady and strong. I was one hoping they'd still have the modems available for this, but I'll have to find another solution.

56 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

If we manage to pull off our 4 week trip this year, I will likely need to have my own reliable connection as a backup.  As a graphic designer I move pretty big files around and can't rely on the Fort's WiFi being steady and strong. I was one hoping they'd still have the modems available for this, but I'll have to find another solution.

You can rent an unlimited dataplan from sellers on eBay for $120-200/month. There is no contract and you can do it month-to-month. I'd just suggest buying the hotspot yourself and getting a sim card from them. Then you can sign up for a month or two and you don't have to worry about usage on your data plan.

4 hours ago, swimmarz said:

I wonder how the cable modems will affect some of those that stayed a month or longer, IE those that work from home like myself, I would need the cable modem, so i cant work from the fort.

If you're OK on a wireless connection, cellular data is remarkably fast and usable. It's what I do every day. :)

I get awesome speed and very reliable 4GLTE service at the Fort using my company-provided Verizon MiFi. I also work with large (up to 50MB) files, uploading and downloading no issues.

(I will caveat to say that the MiFi needs to be sitting outside or in a window of my camper. The camper walls block a little bit of the speed). But, the MiFi can be outside, and I can be inside, the connection between the MiFi and the computer is not affected by the camper walls.

14 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

But, the MiFi can be outside, and I can be inside, the connection between the MiFi and the computer is not affected by the camper walls.

Watch the distance on that. Surprisingly, with both me + my hotspot inside of my camper but a wall in the way, I get about 10'-15' before range starts to become an issue. I use a router behind it for the actual wifi network and it makes a huge difference.

1 minute ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Watch the distance on that. Surprisingly, with both me + my hotspot inside of my camper but a wall in the way, I get about 10'-15' before range starts to become an issue. I use a router behind it for the actual wifi network and it makes a huge difference.

You do know what camper I have, don't you?? Distance is not an issue. The MiFi is sitting on a little table right outside my door under the awning, and if I'm inside, that is a mere 3-4 feet away :)

4 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

You do know what camper I have, don't you?? Distance is not an issue. The MiFi is sitting on a little table right outside my door under the awning, and if I'm inside, that is a mere 3-4 feet away :)

LOL, yeah... I thought about that. I wasn't sure if it was out on a picnic table or something. (Read: making up excuses for knowing that but still forgetting!)

Does Wilderness Lodge have a business center like most off property resorts where you can get a wired connection and have a printer to use?

If they do, would the Fort guests be able to utilize it since they took away the wired connectivity?

Has anyone asked at the front desk if the wired is definitely gone, or if they have an alternative solution for wired connectivity?

28 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Does Wilderness Lodge have a business center like most off property resorts where you can get a wired connection and have a printer to use?

If they do, would the Fort guests be able to utilize it since they took away the wired connectivity?

Has anyone asked at the front desk if the wired is definitely gone, or if they have an alternative solution for wired connectivity?

They don't list one but for some reason I thought I saw an area in the front office area the last time we were there. According to the Disney site The Contemporary would the the closest one.

21 minutes ago, swimmarz said:

I work for a medical company with a secure IP phone, I need a way to plug it in... 
the old modems would work for me, not sure how to do it on wifi, and i am no expert in wifi,

Couldn't you just use your mobile data on your phone?

Just now, LONE-STAR said:

Couldn't you just use your mobile data on your phone?

its a legit desk phone that sets up its own secure connection, its a polycom and its programmed to work once plugged into the internet, for example when i go to a hotel i pay for premium internet and plug the phone into the port in the room and then my laptop plugs into the phone, I take 40+ incoming support calls a day so using my cell phone is not an option as i cant log in from the cell phone to take those incoming calls 

Get a travel router. The one I use will support two Ethernet connections natively if you are connecting it via WiFi. It will also concurrently support additional wireless connections. If you are using the router as a wired router it will support one Ethernet connection natively and additional wireless connections. If you are using an encrypted corporate VPN network connection you should be ok going over the unencrypted campground WiFi network but verify with your employer first.

On 5/15/2016 at 4:59 PM, swimmarz said:

its a legit desk phone that sets up its own secure connection, its a polycom and its programmed to work once plugged into the internet, for example when i go to a hotel i pay for premium internet and plug the phone into the port in the room and then my laptop plugs into the phone, I take 40+ incoming support calls a day so using my cell phone is not an option as i cant log in from the cell phone to take those incoming calls 

OK well I am no help.

Get a travel router. The one I use will support two Ethernet connections natively if you are connecting it via WiFi. It will also concurrently support additional wireless connections. If you are using the router as a wired router it will support one Ethernet connection natively and additional wireless connections. If you are using an encrypted corporate VPN network connection you should be ok going over the unencrypted campground WiFi network but verify with your employer first.

Ha! Your nerd talk sounds just like my husband.

17 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Ha! Your nerd talk sounds just like my husband.

I retired after 31 years as a Senior Software Engineer and started my career in electrical engineering. Oh and I prefer technical talk over nerd after all I play and hang around jazz cats. B)

I retired after 31 years as a Senior Software Engineer and started my career in electrical engineering. Oh and I prefer technical talk over nerd after all I play and hang around jazz cats. B)

Jason plays music (guitar now but cabal be of playing several others). It just makes you a cool nerd.