Crack down ! Should the Fort do this?

20 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

This is  incorrect, Baby Boomers(1946-64) offspring are Generation X(1964-1980), the Millennials(1980-2000) are the offspring of Gen X mostly.

Best Regards,

Norm

It depends upon which end of the boomer generation your in. My wife and I are boomers and our kids are Millennials by birth dates as are many of our friends and neighbors kids.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly, this episode is a perfect illustration of why the Fort management has a huge problem on their hands when it comes to enforcing the golf cart rules. We will never know what really happened,

It depends upon which end of the boomer generation your in. My wife and I are boomers and our kids are Millennials by birth dates as are many of our friends and neighbors kids.

My gut feeling on this is that they were stopped and informed of the problem and the mom got mouthy so things escalated.   Hopefully at the very least she learned a lesson and won't let the kid drive

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I recommend that your read the rest of the article- it explains a lot of what we see today.  Times have changed, and there's no going back.

Much of this is also caused by the Facebook mentality of flooding the Internet with selfies. 

1 minute ago, keith_h said:

Same here.  Born in 1959 and my daughter born in 1988.

4 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Same here- both Mrs. TCD and I technically fall into the category of Baby Boomers (barely), but our three children are Millennials.  Same with all of our friends- and all of the hundreds of kids that my kids went to school with.

3 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Much of this is also caused by the Facebook mentality of flooding the Internet with selfies. 

For sure.

That article I linked does pose an interesting question:  What would the Baby Boomers have done if they had access to the social media that Millennials have?  Is there any reason to believe that the "Me Generation's" behavior would be less narcissistic?

TCD 

23 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

This is  incorrect, Baby Boomers(1946-64) offspring are Generation X(1964-1980), the Millennials(1980-2000) are the offspring of Gen X mostly.

Best Regards,

Norm

The Baby Boomer parents were a tough bunch some having been through 2 World Wars.  They worked hard when they returned and instilled values and morals onto their offspring.

It was/is the pansy a**ed thinking that everyone is a winner that is driving this country to ruin.

TCDs article said girls would rather be a celebrities assistant than a CEO.  And a lot of guys(and some girls) think they are going to be athletic stars and they don't have to study.

Most of the Disney Channel shows feature kids from affluent families that have everything handed to them.  Nick shows aren't a lot better either.

10 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That article I linked does pose an interesting question:  What would the Baby Boomers have done if they had access to the social media that Millennials have?  Is there any reason to believe that the "Me Generation's" behavior would be less narcissistic?

TCD 

I don't think you can blame it on social media alone.  There have been other changes like children being taught either directly or indirectly that it isn't ok to feel bad and not being taught how to use failure to succeed. I also think the feelings of self entitlement come from society as a whole. I do however feel social media exacerbates and amplifies the change. Whereas at one time behavior was exposed to a smaller group of people who would moderate each other social media allows people to find others that will reinforce what they are thinking whether it is good or bad.

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The Baby Boomer parents were a tough bunch some having been through 2 World Wars.  They worked hard when they returned and instilled values and morals onto their offspring.

It was/is the pansy a**ed thinking that everyone is a winner that is driving this country to ruin.

True, but, despite being instilled with these values, something happened, and those Baby Boomers who were "instilled with values and morals" became the Me Generation, and the protestors whose defiance of authority brought the social unrest and rampant drug use of the 1960's and 1970's.

And this generation begat the Gen X-ers and Millennials that many complain about today.  The "pansy a**ed thinking" that you complain of isn't the fault of the children- you have to blame their parents for that.

TCD 

16 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

True, but, despite being instilled with these values, something happened, and those Baby Boomers who were "instilled with values and morals" became the Me Generation, and the protestors whose defiance of authority brought the social unrest and rampant drug use of the 1960's and 1970's.

And this generation begat the Gen X-ers and Millennials that many complain about today.  The "pansy a**ed thinking" that you complain of isn't the fault of the children- you have to blame their parents for that.

TCD 

Just some parents and learned educators/leaders that pushed their agendas that "everyone is a winner" and deserves a trophy, and no one should feel bad about themselves..  Most parents of the baby boomer generation tried to raise their kids to be hard workers.

When we went to school, you passed, went to summer school, or repeated a grade.  In sports the winners took home the awards and the losers went home to practice and try harder.

There's a ton of variables out there, but the liberal agenda (may not be the only group)  has messed up the country.  For the most part, hard work is no longer rewarded.

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

There's a ton of variables out there, but the liberal agenda (may not be the only group)  has messed up the country.  For the most part, hard work is no longer rewarded.

OK, but what generation gets the blame for pushing the "liberal agenda" that has ruined our country?

The Gen-Xers and Millennials aren't in leadership positions.

And what generation do the parents and educators who are "pushing their agendas" belong to?

TCD

45 minutes ago, Travisma said:

It is people of all stripes and politics. I'll guarantee the boorish behavior so prevalent today is not the result of some "liberal agenda".  My wife works in the schools system and has seen plenty of conservatives come in yelling that their special snowflake should have won this or that and was mistreated because they didn't. Some going so far as to say it will ruin their third grader's chance at succeeding in later years. Knowing a number of folks in education sometimes it is just easier to give everybody a trophy so as to not have to put up with the parental garbage. You see the same thing at little league games. I don't recall ever seeing a referee beat up or parents having fist fights in the stands growing up nor when my kids were of school age yet it appears to happen frequently now. There was a time when adults showed respect to other adults and the decisions they made and taught their kids to do the same. Even if they try to teach the kids actions speak louder than words and the kids will emulate what their parents do. Maybe if folks quit trying to blame this agenda or that agends and address that they (we) are all the blame we might be able to change something. 

57 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

OK, but what generation gets the blame for pushing the "liberal agenda" that has ruined our country?

The Gen-Xers and Millennials aren't in leadership positions.

And what generation do the parents and educators who are "pushing their agendas" belong to?

TCD

One thing I read said Dr. (not Mr.) Spock was a proponent of instant gratification, and he was born in 1903 so who knows exactly where it started. But pushy people get their ideas heard and acted upon, while the majority of people just follow along. 

It's like the old retail saying, one unhappy customer can damage sales more than 10 or 20 happy customers can increase sales. The unhappy one will let everyone know about their problems, but the happy ones are less likely to say anything about their good experience.

And when I said liberal, I didn't necessarily mean that political grouping, just a certain type of thinking.

I hate that everyone gets a trophy crap. Adam just finished his first lacrosse season and I was thankful they weren't given anything. They lost every game they played (and by a lot).

Earlier in the year he did a basketball clinic and they got little trophies. I have no idea why. It was more of a learning how to play/skills than games with score keeping.

In school they get crap for everything, end of the year math tests? Have a lollipop (3 days in a row). Collect cards for doing well on tests/coming to events/being helpful save up and turn them in for prizes. He had a concert and when it was done he asked what I was buying him? I asked "for what?" He said because I was in the concert. Uh, nope, sorry kid you did what your supposed to, I'm not buying you something for it. 

i was born in '81 and hate that I'm grouped with millennials. I don't feel we are the same as the kids born 10 years later. Brian has twin sisters who are 10 years younger than us and I feel like were completely different than they are at this age. 

Thankfully, my children have beaten the odds. I'm either the very tail end of the baby boomers, or the very beginning of Generation X. (1964), and my boys are Millenials (1986-1987). While they did live at home longer than I did, they are both out on their own. One is married, one is not, no kids yet.

Now, their politeness is another story, my DIL is training my oldest very well, and he's getting there.

But my youngest is still single, making a boatload of money and is thoroughly enjoying the young high style bachelor life, and a bit of brashness comes along with that. Hopefully the right girl will come along and kick his butt :)

Interesting article. Interesting discussion. I'm late Baby Boomer (1962) and my kids are late Millenials and the very very beginning of whatever comes next (1998; January 2001). According to my children I'm stricter / more demanding of them than most of their friends' mothers, some of whom are a decade younger than I am. I'm also an opponent of participation trophies, although I only express that opinion in my house and try not to roll my eyes too much when they are handed out.

One thing I don't think was addressed in the article and which I wonder if makes a difference is family size. Greatest Generationers tended to have large families, and extended families closer geographically, and Baby Boomers tended to be larger also (I'm really generalizing, but based on my observations). More Millenials probably grew up in 1 or 2 children households where naturally they are going to be more the center of attention and have more  since resources don't have to be divided among as many children. I think this makes a big difference on that I'm special/me me me feeling.  

And another interesting note related to technology - yesterday my 17 yr old son was reading me an article off his iphone about the death of shopping malls. I said that when I was a teenager in 1970s NJ my friends and I hung out at the mall all the time. It was where we went to socialize with each other and interact.  He and his friends often "hang out" in cyberspace. They are physically separated but are interacting through their phones, group texts, shapchat and other things i don't know the name of.  To him that is a perfectly normal way to interact with a bunch of his peers. It's a whole new world...

4 minutes ago, Seals said:

He and his friends often "hang out" in cyberspace. They are physically separated but are interacting through their phones, group texts, shapchat and other things i don't know the name of.  To him that is a perfectly normal way to interact with a bunch of his peers. It's a whole new world...

So true.  Some of the old rites of passage like school dances and other social events are also much different now than they were when I was a teen.  And so is dating. Young people today just don't interact with each other the way young people used to. It really is a strange new world.

TCD

Interesting point about the mall, that was where we went as well. We would hang out there all the time and now I avoid it like the plague. When Brian and I were dating (and couldn't afford to do anything because we couldn't work much because of being in high school) we would go to the product survey/testing people (I can't think of the right term) and see if we would qualify for anything so we could earn some money doing product testing (which was then usually given to our parents to pay for our long distance calls to each other). 

7 minutes ago, Beckers said:

. . .to pay for our long distance calls to each other.

Paying for long distance calls!

I remember that.

My kids were absolutely shocked when I told them that I didn't have a phone the entire time I was in college.  Cell phones were not invented yet, and my beer budget required me to do away with unnecessary luxuries like what we now call a landline.

TCD

My parents house phone was a party line with a dial wall phone in the kitchen.. They never got a private line, but enough other people dropped party lines so ours became private.

I remember when the only place you could purchase a phone from was the phone company (Ma Bell), and heaven forbid if they came to your house for whatever reason and found "illegal wiring and devices".

Cable TV was 12 to 15 channels.

HBO was only movies and it was delivered to your cable provider via microwave link hops from NYC.

32 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I didn't get a cell phone until I had 4 kids, worked two jobs and was in my 40s!

I ended up adding my parents to my plan and getting them phones because they refused (they were probably late 50's at so). Now they travel with their iPads and a hot spot (and don't remember their phones!).

We could not even get a land line until I was out of college, the line ended about 1/4 mile away and to get one we would have had to pay for [oles and wire, therefore no phone service. We lived out it the sticks, haven't moved except about 50 feet, but have even changed home town.

The only phones I have hooked up in our house right now are rotary phones.

I remember being so excited when we finally got caller ID (the box you had to plug in and run across the house to see who was calling). Then when my mom finally broke down and got call waiting, and you better answer that beep and if it was for her don't click back to say good bye your friends will get the point and hang up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes! The caller ID box! Funny now it's build into most phones, our house line even says who's calling (which is no one but junk calls). 

I remember when we got call waiting. Oh man I got in trouble. I was on the phone and my brother's horse riding instructor was calling to cancel his lessons but she couldn't get thru. We found out when we drove all the way out there (it wasn't close) oh and another time I was on the phone and my mom was trying to call home (she was at work) and she couldn't get thru so she called the neighbor and they came and told me to get off the phone.  So after those 2 events we got cal l waiting (and I'm pretty sure I had to pay for it).