Staying at other WdwResort and biking at Fort

Hi all, I have a question,  we no longer have our RV so we won't be staying at the Fort anytime soon.   We are, however, coming to Wdw at the  end of October.  We like to ride our bikes while there as it seems to help releave some of the sorenessin our legs.  We brought our folding bikes with us in January to ride on the  exercise trail at Pop where we were staying.  It runs around hourglass lake between Pop and AoA.  We were rudely screamed at by two CMs at AoA.  When we asked at the desk at Pop why this was when we were on the exercise trail, we were informed that there is no biking allowed at that resort.  Now, if we bring our own bikes can we ride at tje Fort as we were told and how do we get in the gate?  Any experience with this?

Not sure if this will help but last time we stayed at WL we rented bikes there and rode them over to FW and spent an hour or two riding around. I'm just not sure that the bike path is still open though with all the construction going on.

I thought if you were staying at any of the WDW resorts you could access any of the others. That's what they told us a few years ago when we stayed at AoA, and wanted to do a little resort exploring. 

It depends. Sometimes they are stricter than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, WrigleysWagon said:

I thought if you were staying at any of the WDW resorts you could access any of the others. That's what they told us a few years ago when we stayed at AoA, and wanted to do a little resort exploring. 

Normally true but sometimes access is restricted to guests staying on property or those with dining reservations.

I have only ever tried to get into the Fort once when we weren't staying, we weren't even staying on property just passing through. I told them we wanted to go to the trading post and security checked an ID and told us to park in overflow and take a bus.

The end of September 2015 I was staying at the Fort and went to the beach club to wonder around (something we do often) and was told that they would let me park that time but from then till after Christmas the parking would be restricted to registered guests and those holding dining reservations at the resort. I didn't go back to see if this was true or not.

I would think unless it is a major holiday there shouldn't be a problem parking at the Fort and biking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, pixiesteno said:

Hi all, I have a question,  we no longer have our RV so we won't be staying at the Fort anytime soon.   We are, however, coming to Wdw at the  end of October.  

At that time of year, the fort is in major holiday mode.  The parking lot is full and even cast members can be turned away.  BUT!  there will be a slew of fiends camping at that time and if you know a name and site number most of the time that will get you by the guard.  But I was wondering, since the bikes are folding, are they small enough to take a Disney bus to the fort?  If guests bring strollers and all that goes with them, a folded bike should be OK.  But that's just me.  Guess you can't take a bus from your resort directly to the fort though and would need to change.

17 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

It's always easier to get into the Wilderness Lodge parking lot.  Just park there and ride the bikes down the trail running to Fort Wilderness.

I agree that is normally the case, but with the big construction project going on there, I was recently turned away from parking there.  So you never know.

I have been turned away from parking at the Polynesian a couple of times when I was staying at Fort Wilderness and had a parking pass.  Once was on the 4th of July, and another time was while they were doing their DVC construction.

And parking is always tough at the Yacht and Beach Club- especially on Food and Wine Festival weekends.

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I agree that is normally the case, but with the big construction project going on there, I was recently turned away from parking there.  So you never know.

I have been turned away from parking at the Polynesian a couple of times when I was staying at Fort Wilderness and had a parking pass.  Once was on the 4th of July, and another time was while they were doing their DVC construction.

And parking is always tough at the Yacht and Beach Club- especially on Food and Wine Festival weekends.

TCD

That was the case until a short time ago.  The construction trailers that were taking up several parking spots in both the guest and cast parking areas have been moved or reduced in number.  Last week, I held up my driver's license as I was pulling in and the guard just waived me through without even asking where I was going.  I too was not allowed in a month or two ago, but now it seems to be much different.  Of course subject to change.

Your experience at the Polynesian on 4th of July applies all around the Magic Kingdom area that day.  That whole area becomes a mess. 

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

That was the case until a short time ago.  The construction trailers that were taking up several parking spots in both the guest and cast parking areas have been moved or reduced in number.  Last week, I held up my driver's license as I was pulling in and the guard just waived me through without even asking where I was going.  I too was not allowed in a month or two ago, but now it seems to be much different.  Of course subject to change.

Good to know.  I love to visit the Lodge, even if I'm only there for a day trip, and always found the guards at the shack to be very accommodating.  I figured that they would be stricter with the parking until the DVC stuff was done.  Good to know that it may have already loosened up.  I'll give it a try the next time I'm there and see if they let me in.

TCD

10 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

If you don't mind parking in the grass, there is now an overflow lot at the Fort that is not behind a gate. You just have to past the "back" gate at the Fort and turn left into the grassy area near the old kennel.

That's a good point.

I wonder if they restrict this in anyway around holidays?  I don't think they do.  The pool freeloaders probably already know that.

TCD