Hey Fort peeps. Been a while since I have been able to post. Been on and off lurking the past few months. Not sure if you all remember but last I was on we were getting ready to start building a house. That whole thing turned into a disaster as far as the start. Because of that we have rescheduled our disney trip 4 times. Well we finally got into our new house about a month ago, ran into some issues with schedules and sure enough had to reschedule the fort trip we had setup for september to may of 2017 (originally scheduled for November 2015).

In the mean time we decided to try and squeeze in a quick trip to the smokies before the kids went back to school. About 2 weeks ago we scheduled a trip for Aug 6-14 to stay at elkmont in the park which is one of my feels like home places. Got our camper to the house and started cleaning it up and found out we acquired a leak over the winter and I had a leaking front seal. After a lot of experimentation I was able to find a good sealant to fix the leak and also an easy way to remove the old sealant. Got the leak taken care of yesterday and pretty much finished up the cleaning yesterday.

As I was packing up our towels/washrags/making the beds I was listening to some music on youtube trying to get into the mood for a week away from work. Pretty much everything that was auto playing from youtube picks was classic rock and out of no where the Carl Rae Jepsen remake of Part Of Your World came on as I was putting the last few things away and it hit my disney soft spot. At that moment I pretty much said enough was enough. Closed everything up, went into the house, got on MDE and found out the Ft had premium sites available the 6-14th. Called up the wife and told her I had lost my mind and said we were going to disney instead of the smokies. After a short back and forth she agreed to the change in scenery and we will now be at the fort next weekend. Can't wait.

Is anyone else going to be there during this time? Is there a chance I could get "spiked" even though I never got to order my official fortfiends sign (remember that being a requirement before)? Anyone have any tips on how to hang my wooden ft wilderness sign? I may break out the mickey head light I made if I can figure out a base for it by the end of the week.

Ryan

First... sorry the house build was so frustrating.   I've actually heard that more than not; I'm not sure that it's easy for anyone.  Either way, glad you're in and getting settled :)

Sorry the camper had a leak, but sounds like you took care of it quickly.  Yay!!

The Fort... bummer, we'll miss you.  We won't be there until the last week in September.  Have a magical, magical trip!!

We are really excited at this point. The kids still think we are going to the smokes. My oldest will be a little upset about tl to being able to have a fire at the site but he will get over that quickly once he sees everything else.

I am going to fax in my site request today and really hoping to get one of my 2 site requests (1310 or 1312). If not I hope we land in the 1100 loop again. We really liked it last time.

I am a little nervous about hauling to camper down. First time taking this one anywhere further than 6 hours away. At least I have the diesel now and can fill up in the truck lanes.

30 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

We are really excited at this point. The kids still think we are going to the smokes. My oldest will be a little upset about tl to being able to have a fire at the site but he will get over that quickly once he sees everything else.

I am going to fax in my site request today and really hoping to get one of my 2 site requests (1310 or 1312). If not I hope we land in the 1100 loop again. We really liked it last time.

I am a little nervous about hauling to camper down. First time taking this one anywhere further than 6 hours away. At least I have the diesel now and can fill up in the truck lanes.

Filling up in the truck lanes is so much nicer! As for towing it... you'll do great ^_^

16 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

When you use the truck lanes try to go to Pilot. You can pay at the pump. Most other truck stops make you go in and pay first. Pilot has a app that you can plan your fuel stops around. 

3 questions for everyone as we quickly plan things out.

1) Would you take 75 or 77 down?

2) Measured my daughter last night. She is 39" with her shoes on. :( What all will she not be able to go on at MK? Was hoping I could get her on splash mountain but she is just under the height requirement.

3) Are the water parks worth the upgrade? Never been to them but heard they are good for kids of all ages.

Ryan

6 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

When you use the truck lanes try to go to Pilot. You can pay at the pump. Most other truck stops make you go in and pay first. Pilot has a app that you can plan your fuel stops around. 

we picked up the pilot rv charge card a while back for this exact reason. Hope that it works. Never tried to use it.

6 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

we picked up the pilot rv charge card a while back for this exact reason. Hope that it works. Never tried to use it.

The charge card works great.  Just remember your PIN.  You need to enter it each time you fuel.

BTW, we check in on the 16th.

8 hours ago, djsamuel said:

The charge card works great.  Just remember your PIN.  You need to enter it each time you fuel.

BTW, we check in on the 16th.

Good to know. Will go in there and check to make sure I remember the pin. Been about 8 months since I got it.

Wewill miss you by 2 days. We check out Sunday.

On 8/2/2016 at 11:46 PM, LONE-STAR said:

Pilot also owns the Flying J truck stops. Most Flying Js in the South and Southeast have dedicated RV lanes, which have both gas and diesel and allow pay at the pump. The Pilot RV charge card can also be used at the Flying Js and you get the same 5 cent per gallon discount.  The Pilot smart phone app also includes the Flying J locations and RV islands is one of the filters. If you stop at a Flying J, the RV islands are out front with the gas islands, but well off to the side so you have plenty of room to maneuver. 

10 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Post or pm me your site number. A spiking is possible tomorrow.

TCD

That would be awesome. We are in 1325. We may go to the MK tomorrow but not sure yet. All of our sleep schedules are a messed up since we drove it strait from Ohio. Just got up from a long nap and I may take a stroll around the campground.

Ryan

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:54 PM, rtguy007 said:

That would be awesome. We are in 1325. We may go to the MK tomorrow but not sure yet. All of our sleep schedules are a messed up since we drove it strait from Ohio. Just got up from a long nap and I may take a stroll around the campground.

Ryan

Jeez- talk about bad timing!  The site was down all day yesterday, as far as I can tell.  I was never able to log on, and didn't see this!  Hopefully, I'll catch you before you head home!  Sorry!

TCD

4 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Jeez- talk about bad timing!  The site was down all day yesterday, as far as I can tell.  I was never able to log on, and didn't see this!  Hopefully, I'll catch you before you head home!  Sorry!

TCD

I was trying to get my fort fix a few times yesterday and I was not able to login either. Kept getting a server 500 error. Anyway we will be here until Sunday morning. Hope to get to meet you.

Ryan

3 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

I was trying to get my fort fix a few times yesterday and I was not able to login either. Kept getting a server 500 error. Anyway we will be here until Sunday morning. Hope to get to meet you.

Ryan

The timing of the site going down was very unfortunate.  I am not sure if I'll be back over that way before Sunday, but if I am, I'll try and get by with a spike.

TCD

17 minutes ago, Starbuc71 said:

Disney vs. the smokies?  You made the wrong choice

originally we were still going there up until last weekend when the forecast was for rain every day. We had reservations for elkmont where there is no power/water and we were was not liking the rain idea. It has rained down here in Orlando bit the quick light showers are much more tolerable when we have AC and water/sewer.