• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disclaimer, none of the photos used in this post were taken by me. Ahh, the famous or more correctly, infamous utilidors or tunnels. The concept although unique and good for having tours is in some wa

These are pools and other landmarks that may not be apparent at eye level. Computer keyboard & monitor at Pop Century Guitar at All Star Music Baseball diamond at All Star Sports Piano at All Star

Mickey's Retreat is a recreational get away exclusively for CMs and their guests located within minutes of the parks.

As the aerial view shows, there are tennis courts, basketball courts, a baseball diamond, swimming pools, a large beach, boating and other activities.

Does the company you work for have a facility like this?

In addition, there are free CM workout facilities scattered through out WDW.

WDW CMS do not have any excuse for being out of shape.

08.jpg

MickeysRetreat.jpg

Ya, like it's so difficult to sneak in back stage. Just remember how easy it is to get into the Fort.

Hey Lou, I have a story about something like this.

A few years ago I was in Orlando for a training, after class one afternoon I went to the Boardwalk to kill some time. Well as I was leaving walking back towards the main hotel building, there were 4 or 5 Castmembers in front of me, they went through the door, and held it open for me, I said thank you and kept walking. Then I realized I was behind the scenes. The CMs kept going and didn't pay any attention to me. So I pretended to know where I was going and wandered around two different floors inside the BW resort! I was looking all around when finally I had to step in someone's office and ask the way to the lobby. Even that guy gave me directions but couldn't care less. Well I got his directions wrong and opened the wrong door, it was the door to go behind the check-in counter, lol. I quickly back tracked and found the right door. It was a pretty funny experience, but like you implied, very easy.

WBI

• 2 weeks later...

These are pools and other landmarks that may not be apparent at eye level.

Computer keyboard & monitor at Pop Century

Guitar at All Star Music

Baseball diamond at All Star Sports

Piano at All Star Music

Bowling Pin at Pop Century

Star at All Star Resorts

Star, there's one at the entrance to all three All Star resorts.

Deliberate Mickey head at Bay Lake Towers

Sky1.jpg

Sky2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I saw some pictures the other day and the first thing I thought of were these posts. Check them out:

dsc08433_0.jpg

dsc08432.jpg

They show the boat and foot bridge in a different position, so the footbridge defintely moves.

WBI

Pretty cool!!! And that makes perfect sense. The bridge slides so that the cast can enter the boat from the bridge.

Mickey's Retreat is a recreational get away exclusively for CMs and their guests located within minutes of the parks.

Lou,

Our of curiosity, does Mickey's Retreat get besieged by locals as much as the Fort Wilderness pool/pavilian? Just curious. :unsure:

Hey I saw some pictures the other day and the first thing I thought of were these posts. Check them out:

They show the boat and foot bridge in a different position, so the footbridge defintely moves.

WBI

Guess I won't have to sneak in there to see what's up with the bridge.

Good find WBI.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is for Monique.

One of the most memorable scenes in "The Haunted Mansion" is the ballroom dancing scene. Ever wonder how it works?

I'm sure you've noticed the large pane of glass between you and the ballroom scene below. The dancing and flying ghosts are actually located in an area directly above and below you. The ballroom itself has no characters in it, just the furniture and other props. The ghosts are carefully lit, positioned, and animated, and it's their reflections that you see on the glass pane in front of you. Your brain combines the reflections on the glass and the scene below to form a single image.

It's a very old optical trick. It was also used in the Ghost Busters attraction at Universal Studios.

If you look closely at the animatronic dancing ghost figures, you will notice that they appear to be dancing backwards, with the ladies leading the men. This is because the creators forgot that the reflections would be reversed because as in a mirror, the image is reversed.

Ballroom.jpg

This one is for Monique.

One of the most memorable scenes in "The Haunted Mansion" is the ballroom dancing scene. Ever wonder how it works?

I'm sure you've noticed the large pane of glass between you and the ballroom scene below. The dancing and flying ghosts are actually located in an area directly above and below you. The ballroom itself has no characters in it, just the furniture and other props. The ghosts are carefully lit, positioned, and animated, and it's their reflections that you see on the glass pane in front of you. Your brain combines the reflections on the glass and the scene below to form a single image.

It's a very old optical trick. It was also used in the Ghost Busters attraction at Universal Studios.

If you look closely at the animatronic dancing ghost figures, you will notice that they appear to be dancing backwards, with the ladies leading the men. This is because the creators forgot that the reflections would be reversed because as in a mirror, the image is reversed.

Ballroom.jpg

That is cool, thanks for sharing

This one is for Monique.

Ballroom.jpg

That is cool, thanks for sharing

Cinderella Castle, yes it's spelled correctly, it's not Cinderella's Castle, was inspired by a number of French, Spanish, & German castles and cathedrals, but I think people would agree that it mostly resembles King Ludwig II's Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany. The main spire is very similar to the spire on the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

I'm sure some of you have heard the story, it might even be an urban legend, about the women that wanted to sue Disney because one of the stones fell on her. The problem is that there are no stones to fall on someone. Another myth is that it's made out of fiberglass. While the more ornate architectural details on the turrets are made of fiberglass, the exterior walls are made from a thick, very hard, fiber-reinforced gypsum plaster formed and painted to look like stone.

Contrary to popular belief, the suite for the Disney family and executives was never completed and of course never used because he died before MK was completed. It was started but never finished. The space instead was used as an office and storage until it was completely decorated about five years ago. The space is small and only big enough for a bedroom and bathroom, it sleeps six. So if you get to stay there, you won't be staying in Walt's plush apartment.

Even if Walt had lived long enough to use it, it's unlikely that he or his family would have stayed there because of its small size, and mostly because it's in the middle of nowhere that Walt would have to get to in order to conduct Disney business. It looked good on paper, but it just wasn't a practical idea.

Like most of the buildings, it uses forced perspective. It's actually half the size that it appears to be. And like almost all of the buildings at MK, what appears to be the ground level is actually the second floor of a two story structure. The Utilidors/tunnels are on the first level.

Castle2.jpg

This one is for Monique.

Ballroom.jpg

Thanks Lou!

Still loving this thread a bunch :))

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of trash cans, the subject came up on KFK's current TR and how people like to take pictures next to them. She even has one of her standing next to one when she was a little kid.

The WDW trash cans are celebrities. There are a number of web sites just about the WDW trash cans, get a life people.

Some of the trash cans talk, some move and one, Push, does both.

Supposedly trash cans are located a certain distance apart which is less than the distance that people hold on to their litter before they throw it on the ground. I'll have to verify if that's true.

Is the urban legend that the MK trash cans are connected to an under ground suction tube that takes the trash away? I don't know if the individual cans are connected to the tube, I'll have to look into it, but I do know that there is a network of large suction tubes in the utilidors that do take the trash from a number of locations to a central location. If you're ever down there, listen for what sounds like rocks moving through the tubes. What you're hearing is the tubes being cleaned.

The trash cans are decorated to match or blend in with their location. A good example and one that I'm very familiar with, are the TTC trash cans, see photo. If you remember the hideous looking purple costumes that the bus drivers wore up until about a year ago, they matched the trash cans perfectly.

Which came first though? Will they have to redo the cans to match the current costumes?

TC.jpg

Speaking of trash cans, the subject came up on KFK's current TR and how people like to take pictures next to them. She even has one of her standing next to one when she was a little kid.

The WDW trash cans are celebrities. There are a number of web sites just about the WDW trash cans, get a life people.

Some of the trash cans talk, some move and one, Push, does both.

Push ... 331016919_1e4e6c69bd_b.jpg