Spring Break 2011 @ The Fort By TCD

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just plain ridiculous. What the heck is going on here? TCD leaves for months and then comes back writing 4 or 5 trip reports at once?!? Is TCD getting paid to write trip reports?! Conspiracy!

It's not just your run of the mill Hippie, it's the accordion playing hippie or APH, that are the problem. Drove through the 3000 loop today and saw this sign. See, management is listening. I didn't s

Ok, so I was nosy and called the fish feeder place. I talked to a nice gentleman who told me there are a total of 4 fish feeders on Disney Property. The solar panel on top charges a little battery tha

Well it's nice to be back on track. Great pictures. I am a little disappointed in the fish feeder it doesn't scream Disney does it :unsure:

I don't know.

Maybe they made it look old to fit in with the rustic Fort Wilderness theme?

Kind of like they did over at Animal Kingdom with making everything look old and worn like it has always been there.

Actually, you make a good point.

If this fish feeder needs to be there (which I doubt), they could have done a better job at making it look like it belongs there.

Glad you're back. As much as I love hippies... I love a good TR even more. :heart:

I'm on Rx meds... so I'll put off calling the fish feeder number until I'm done with them. I want to be coherent when asking my questions. ;).

As always.... great photos.

Oh, I think you should call while you are on your meds.

It might make your questions more interesting.

TCD, you are being looked for over on popupportal.com. Here is the link, pop up portal. I have informed them of your new home.

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks Norm.

That link you posted is to the website. What thread was this on?

I don't recall having visited that site before. It looks pretty nice.

If anyone has found me here from there, welcome!!!

I am one of you (a pop-up person, that is)

But, I am going to stay over here if you want to see me.

TCD

Thanks Norm.

That link you posted is to the website. What thread was this on?

I don't recall having visited that site before. It looks pretty nice.

If anyone has found me here from there, welcome!!!

I am one of you (a pop-up person, that is)

But, I am going to stay over here if you want to see me.

TCD

You have to be logged in to get to the thread by the link I left. It was in "The Other Stuff" subforum, and the thread was "TriCircleD From DisBoards??"

First Post: I am an active member over on the DisBoards website and a good fella that goes by the name of TriCircleD has disappeared from there. I know he owns a pup so I figured I would give it a shot to see if he is a member on the Portal smile_confused.gifsmile_worried.gifsmile_camping.gif

Like I said, I left word that you were here, so...........

Best Regards,

Norm

Now, let's get this trip report going.

Because I now have yet another in the hopper.

TCD

This is just plain ridiculous. What the heck is going on here? TCD leaves for months and then comes back writing 4 or 5 trip reports at once?!? Is TCD getting paid to write trip reports?!

Conspiracy!

TCD is the Walmart of trip reporting. There's no way the rest of us startup reporters can compete with all this awesome content, incredible volume, and extreme attention to detail. I'm filing an antitrust suit. He's blocking entry to the market.

Andrew, what do you do, work from the Fort now?!? Did you pull your girls out of school and home school them from the TCD campsite?

Oh, we can only wish TCD had been to Bonnaroo... so many pictures, so little time. I did hear Ms Lynn herself was playing on one of the stages this year... :banana: Sorry, guys, I love some old school country. Plus I think Alison Krauss has been known to make an appearance.

So, TCD - any advice on the canoe ride? We'll be taking DD(3) and it's a PRIORITY this time!

You have to be logged in to get to the thread by the link I left. It was in "The Other Stuff" subforum, and the thread was "TriCircleD From DisBoards??"

First Post: I am an active member over on the DisBoards website and a good fella that goes by the name of TriCircleD has disappeared from there. I know he owns a pup so I figured I would give it a shot to see if he is a member on the Portal smile_confused.gifsmile_worried.gifsmile_camping.gif

Best Regards,

Norm

I belong to the Pop-up portal website. Great info for pup campers. It's a great place to get info and meet people with other pop-ups. We have two Florida Rallys a year. This Spring we went to Lake Kissimmee State Park. In October we are going to Silver River State Park in Ocala. So far we have about 28 rigs going. We have a big dinner on Saturday where everyone brings something to share. It's a great time. I have made some great friends through that site. Check it out sometime.

Ok, so I was nosy and called the fish feeder place.

I talked to a nice gentleman who told me there are a total of 4 fish feeders on Disney Property. The solar panel on top charges a little battery that runs a timer. When it's time, a little wheel spins and dispenses the food. It's "floating catfish food" pellets.

I didn't ask where else the feeders are because by the time I got to that I think he was starting to think I was either a) just plain crazy or B) some kind of fish spy.

So there you have it!

I have a friend who attended Bonnaroo. I think it was a graduation present or something...

Not only did she appear this year...she was back playing with Union Station!! They are touring to promote their new album...which is AWESOME by the way.

Sorry TCD, carry on...

Alison Krauss back with Union Station? That is, in fact, pretty awesome!

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks for doing that Norm.

And to any of you who found your way here from there, welcome!

If you're just looking, take a minute and join up and leave a message here!

Glad you are back Andrew. Hope you enjoyed yourself at Bonnaroo.

I must have really enjoyed myself.

Because I swear I was at Fort Wilderness.

This is just plain ridiculous. What the heck is going on here? TCD leaves for months and then comes back writing 4 or 5 trip reports at once?!? Is TCD getting paid to write trip reports?!

Conspiracy!

TCD is the Walmart of trip reporting. There's no way the rest of us startup reporters can compete with all this awesome content, incredible volume, and extreme attention to detail. I'm filing an antitrust suit. He's blocking entry to the market.

Andrew, what do you do, work from the Fort now?!? Did you pull your girls out of school and home school them from the TCD campsite?

Hey Norm-

Thanks for popping in.

Yes, I guess I am pretty much the Walmart of the trip report section.

I am dealing in high volume.

But, there is always room for a clever writer with great photography skills.

First you have to get back to the Fort, though.

Oh, we can only wish TCD had been to Bonnaroo... so many pictures, so little time. I did hear Ms Lynn herself was playing on one of the stages this year... :banana: Sorry, guys, I love some old school country. Plus I think Alison Krauss has been known to make an appearance.

So, TCD - any advice on the canoe ride? We'll be taking DD(3) and it's a PRIORITY this time!

I have a younger sister who wants to go to this Bonnaroo thing.

I have considered it.

You are right about the photo ops!

I will go ahead and admit that I have no idea who Allison Kraus is.

She must have come along after my time.

I have a few tips for you about the canoe ride:

1. Tell the castmember that you only want to rent it for a half an hour. They don't keep track of time, so even if you are 15 (or 30) minutes late returning the canoe, you will only be charged for the half hour.

2. Don't take anything in the canoe that you don't want to get wet. If you have an expensive camera, leave that on shore. Canoes tip. Splashes happen.

3.. Make sure your DD has her life jacket on and that it is strapped.

4. Have fun!

Had a bad night Troll? I am personally so grateful that TCD came home.

Ah, leave Norm alone.

He was just having a little fun.

Thanks for having my back, though.

I belong to the Pop-up portal website. Great info for pup campers. It's a great place to get info and meet people with other pop-ups. We have two Florida Rallys a year. This Spring we went to Lake Kissimmee State Park. In October we are going to Silver River State Park in Ocala. So far we have about 28 rigs going. We have a big dinner on Saturday where everyone brings something to share. It's a great time. I have made some great friends through that site. Check it out sometime.

Thanks for that.

I will take some time and take a look around that site when I get a chance.

Looks like it has a lot of good info.

Ok, so I was nosy and called the fish feeder place.

I talked to a nice gentleman who told me there are a total of 4 fish feeders on Disney Property. The solar panel on top charges a little battery that runs a timer. When it's time, a little wheel spins and dispenses the food. It's "floating catfish food" pellets.

I didn't ask where else the feeders are because by the time I got to that I think he was starting to think I was either a) just plain crazy or B) some kind of fish spy.

So there you have it!

Great Job!

You have earned your TCD Junior Deputy Badge!

I wonder what will happen if they get a few more calls about the Fish Feeder?

Especially if KFK calls all hopped up on her prescription medication?

Alison Krauss back with Union Station? That is, in fact, pretty awesome!

Alright, this confirms that this Allison Krauss is from after my time.

YodaGirl is barely 30.

TCD

Time for the next installment.

It is still Sunday morning.

This is turning out to be a long day.

Time to head back to the campsite.

I noticed this sweet cart in the Meadow golf cart parking area:

101_0242.jpg

Nicely done!

It was now 10-ish so I roused the TCD twins.

They would sleep all morning if I let them.

They asked me to get them up by 10.

So I did.

We did a little looping.

I saw this on the 2000 loop, and none of us were quite sure what it is:

101_0247.jpg

I guessed it was an IV bag for Bigfoot.

The girls guessed that it was some type of insect trap.

I am not sure that it was put there by Disney. As you have noticed, they put nice little signs on their stuff. That usually helps me to figure out what their gizmos are for.

This thing did not have one of those little signs.

So, your guess is as good as mine.

We headed down to Trail's End for a drink.

The Breakfast takeout menu, which is kind of new, had not changed since our February visit:

101_0249.jpg

I took this close up to confirm what drinks are available with a refillable mug purchase and to also show that folks can't resist putting an s on Meadow:

101_0250.jpg

The Ring Carver's kiosk is still where the bike rack used to be:

101_0252.jpg

Here's a sight not many of you have seen:

101_0253.jpg

Yep, that's site 114.

Empty.

You won't see that between October and February.

Am I right Judy/Feisty? (I know you are reading along)

Oh yeah.

I should say Hi to my good friend Hilda, too.

I saw that she recently joined.

So, hello Hilda.

Long time no see. (Not really)

Welcome to you, too.

Hilda and Judy are true Fort ambassadors.

I always enjoy seeing them at the Fort.

Now we are back at the TCD campsite.

Here's the official TCD hammock:

101_0255.jpg

And a look at the back of the site:

101_0256.jpg

Here's the view from the hammock:

101_0257.jpg

This photo doesn't do the view justice. From right there in the hammock, I could see the 1500 loop bus stop, and the footbridge leading to the pool, and the tennis courts, and the pool pavilion, and even the pool itself. Great stuff!

And, here's what I saw looking up:

101_0259.jpg

101_0260.jpg

This is a photo of some decorations set up by my neighbor just across the loop road from our site:

101_0261.jpg

What do you think is going on over here?

There used to be a pretty good Discussion Board that used lime green as its official color.

But I think they went out of business.

No one posts there anymore.

Is this guy trying to make a statement about that place?

And, what is with the gnomes on the mushrooms.

Are those supposed to be trolls?

This is all a bit weird.

No?

I tried to catch these folks and ask them what the heck this was all about, but I never got a chance. They were gone all the time.

Here are some folks waiting for the bus behind our site:

101_0264.jpg

Throughout the weekend, I noticed a lot of groups leaving the pool together, and catching the Outpost Yellow Bus from here. They often were carrying coolers. This is suspicious. The Yellow Bus makes one stop after the 1500 loop. And that is at the 1600 loop. Most folks staying on the 1600-1900 loops wouldn't bother waiting for a bus to the pool. They could just cut through by the 1500/1600 loop comfort station and be on their way. I think a lot of these folks were just moochers who came to the Fort from somewhere else to use the pool. Their cars were up in the Outpost parking lot. It was pretty blatant. If Fort management wanted to stop this, it wouldn't be all that hard. There have been some recent reports that there have been some crackdowns on this type of thing. Good.

Here are some more shots of the TCD site for this trip:

101_0266.jpg

101_0267.jpg

This old sign was right behind our site:

101_0268.jpg

I love how they placed the rocks there, and landscaped around it.

Here's a closer look at the sign:

101_0269.jpg

When I stay on the 1500 loop, I make it a point to at least once take a walk over the footbridge and visit the pool. Here we are down the sidewalk, looking back at the footbridge. You can see the 1500 loop bus stop on the left, and the roof of the comfort station on the right:

101_0270.jpg

A volleyball game was going on here on this beautiful Sunday morning:

101_0271.jpg

The pool was crowded, even early in the day. But, I have seen much worse:

101_0273.jpg

101_0274.jpg

101_0275.jpg

After the girls got showered and ready, we headed out on a resort boat to the Contemporary:

101_0277.jpg

Here we are leaving the dock:

101_0278.jpg

There is going to be a new dining pavilion built somewhere off to the left of the marina here:

101_0280.jpg

So, I took a few extra photos to use as before shots once the construction starts:

101_0281.jpg

101_0282.jpg

Here we are looking toward the area of Wilderness Lodge. This point that juts out into the lake may be the site of a new DVC resort in the future:

101_0283.jpg

That is the Shoe Tree that you see out there in the water.

And here's another look at the shoe tree:

101_0284.jpg

And yet another. The reddish-brown roof you see just above the tree tops in the back of the photo is the roof of the DVC villas at Wilderness Lodge:

101_0285.jpg

We have reached our photo limit.

Next up -

We continue on our boat ride.

Then eat lunch and visit the MK.

And then head back via boat from the MK.

And we will look at the remains of River Country and the Shoe Tree from the boat.

TCD

I saw this on the 2000 loop, and none of us were quite sure what it is:

101_0247.jpg

I guessed it was an IV bag for Bigfoot.

The girls guessed that it was some type of insect trap.

I am not sure that it was put there by Disney. As you have noticed, they put nice little signs on their stuff. That usually helps me to figure out what their gizmos are for.

This thing did not have one of those little signs.

So, your guess is as good as mine.

TCD

My guess would be that it is a fly repeller.

The water bag method of fly repellant has many supporters, from restaurant owners to backyard grill-masters. Many success stories ranging from the mild to the miraculous litter the Internet.

So how does the method drive flies away? Some insist the flies perceive the clear liquid as the surface of a body of water. Others claim the insect flies away at the sight of its own magnified reflection. But the most popular reasoning that pops up among entomologists and patent-filing entrepreneurs is simple light refraction.

Refraction takes place when a clear or opaque object, such as a piece of glass or a bag of water, alters the course and velocity of light. The rays of light, which normally travel in a straight line, bend. This effect is responsible for a number of optical illusions, such as mirages, that occasionally baffle humans as well. For more information on refraction, read How Light Works.

In theory, refraction can be just as confusing for some species of insect, especially the housefly. It boasts a highly sensitive array of eyes which allow it to see in multiple directions at once.

The insect's head mostly consists of a pair of large complex eyes, each of which is composed of 3,000 to 6,000 simple eyes. These eyes can't move or focus on objects like human eyes, but they provide the fly with a mosaic view of the world around them. Each simple eye provides one small piece of the puzzle, much like the way a screen's pixel delivers one detail of the larger picture.

A housefly bases its sense of direction on the direction sunlight comes from. Some entomologists believe that when these complex, sensitive eyes experience refracted light, the insect becomes confused and flies away.

While some supporters claim water bags keep all kinds of flying insects away, most report success with complex-eyed insects, like houseflies.

OOH OOH OOH!!! We may be on to something here! We've all agreed that the yellow flies were not nearly as bad this year as they were last year (Well except for becca ;D )

Before we went for Memorial Day, I looked at buying these:

http://www.amazon.com/Flies-Gone-Toxic-Trap-yellow/dp/B001EM7XCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308090466&sr=8-1

Could be the same thing. Are they working, or is it just that our weather has been strange and have effected the fly population?!

OOH OOH OOH!!! We may be on to something here! We've all agreed that the yellow flies were not nearly as bad this year as they were last year (Well except for becca ;D )

http://www.amazon.com/Flies-Gone-Toxic-Trap-yellow/dp/B001EM7XCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308090466&sr=8-1

Could be the same thing. Are they working, or is it just that our weather has been strange and have effected the fly population?!

Actualy, the link you provided looks exactly like the picture TCD posted. I think you got it right and my theroy is a bust.

I wonder what will happen if they get a few more calls about the Fish Feeder?Especially if KFK calls all hopped up on her prescription medication?

Is this a challenge? ;-)

101_0261.jpgWhat do you think is going on over here?There used to be a pretty good Discussion Board that used lime green as its official color.But I think they went out of business.No one posts there anymore.Is this guy trying to make a statement about that place?And, what is with the gnomes on the mushrooms.Are those supposed to be trolls?This is all a bit weird.No?

Weird? Yes. To make matters worse they are from SC. My home state. Note the palmetto tree and crescent moon in the lower left corner.

Great installment! I never tire of FW photos and FW commentary. Quality or quantity... there's room for both. :heart:

I wonder what will happen if they get a few more calls about the Fish Feeder?Especially if KFK calls all hopped up on her prescription medication?

Is this a challenge? ;)

101_0261.jpg

What do you think is going on over here?There used to be a pretty good Discussion Board that used lime green as its official color.But I think they went out of business.No one posts there anymore.Is this guy trying to make a statement about that place?And, what is with the gnomes on the mushrooms.Are those supposed to be trolls?This is all a bit weird.No?

Weird? Yes. To make matters worse they are from SC. My home state. Note the palmetto tree and crescent moon in the corner.

Great installment! I never tire of FW photos and FW commentary. Quality or quantity... there's room for both. :heart:

My guess would be that it is a fly repeller.

The water bag method of fly repellant has many supporters, from restaurant owners to backyard grill-masters. Many success stories ranging from the mild to the miraculous litter the Internet.

So how does the method drive flies away? Some insist the flies perceive the clear liquid as the surface of a body of water. Others claim the insect flies away at the sight of its own magnified reflection. But the most popular reasoning that pops up among entomologists and patent-filing entrepreneurs is simple light refraction.

Refraction takes place when a clear or opaque object, such as a piece of glass or a bag of water, alters the course and velocity of light. The rays of light, which normally travel in a straight line, bend. This effect is responsible for a number of optical illusions, such as mirages, that occasionally baffle humans as well. For more information on refraction, read How Light Works.

In theory, refraction can be just as confusing for some species of insect, especially the housefly. It boasts a highly sensitive array of eyes which allow it to see in multiple directions at once.

The insect's head mostly consists of a pair of large complex eyes, each of which is composed of 3,000 to 6,000 simple eyes. These eyes can't move or focus on objects like human eyes, but they provide the fly with a mosaic view of the world around them. Each simple eye provides one small piece of the puzzle, much like the way a screen's pixel delivers one detail of the larger picture.

A housefly bases its sense of direction on the direction sunlight comes from. Some entomologists believe that when these complex, sensitive eyes experience refracted light, the insect becomes confused and flies away.

While some supporters claim water bags keep all kinds of flying insects away, most report success with complex-eyed insects, like houseflies.

Wow.

That is a really complicated answer.

it sounded very plausible . . .

Right up until S70 posted this:

http://www.amazon.co...08090466&sr=8-1

I think that is the same thing.

Did you notice that it can hold 20.000 flies.

20,000!

I don't know about you, but if I'm camping somewhere where there are 20,000 flies to catch, I think I would pass on the fly trap and find another place to camp.

Actualy, the link you provided looks exactly like the picture TCD posted. I think you got it right and my theroy is a bust.

Don't feel bad.

S70 also busted my Bigfoot IV bag theory.

And I have seen it in person and I have see TCD in it.

Will it be in the Smithsonian some day?

True.

I hope they put the hammock next to Fonzie's jacket.

Or maybe Archie Bunker's chair?

Man o man TCD. Not only do you report from land but now you are on the water too. That site you were in 1503 looks like a really nice spot.

Yep.

And, I'll give everyone fair warning that there a bunch more Bay Lake photos on the way.

Perhaps a few too many.

But you know how I roll.

Yes, 1503 is a great spot. I didn't think I would like it, but I did. Not as much privacy as I like, but you are right in the middle of the action. And, it's better than having a sidewalk next to your grill.

Is this a challenge? ;-)

Weird? Yes. To make matters worse they are from SC. My home state. Note the palmetto tree and crescent moon in the lower left corner.

1. Yes. It is a challenge.

2. I noticed the SC logo. Do you know these gnome mushroom people?

TCD