Shoe Tree/PETA and other discoveries from this weekend

Hi everyone, I am a lurker from the "other" place- this is my first time posting here. Forgive me if I screw up this post :huh: I know I am friends with some of you on facebook but this is my first post here :)

Just got back from a 5 day trip and here's what I found:

1.) I saw 1 fort fiend sign :'( , and 0 "other" board signs :banana:

2.) We rented a boat Saturday night for a birthday/firework celebration and the captain who drives the rescue boats in the day told us the scoop on the shoe tree. Apparently PETA made them take the shoes off because it was killing the tree :blink: . He says they still throw them up and if you look carefully you can still see some, he has thrown up 3 and is getting ready to throw his 4th pair of white captain shoes up. He also said he has caught several people swimming/trying to get on discovery island. He was working the night a few years ago the people were arrested and went to jail for swimming over.

3.) I got pulled over by the Disney police for underage golf cart driving... I am 25. :siren:

4.) Does anyone know how to contact TCD (e-mail, facebook, ??). I have a question for him, I was hoping he would be there this weekend but I did not see him.

And for those of you who do not know me, my name is Ashley. I am from Clearwater/Dunedin, FL but I am living in GA for graduate school.

Hi Ashley, welcome! That's cool info, I can't believe PETA was involved.. but I have my own opinion on those P.I.T.A , I mean P.E.T.A folks, TCD is here, if you go to the members section you should be able to PM him from there!

Thank you! I have not been on here in about a month due to finals. I see he has some trip reports for me to get caught up on! I was pretty shocked about that too, I mean, do they really think a 100+ year Cypress tree is really going to die from some shoes?

12810.gif Glad you found us. Now jump right in and have some fun :banana:

Thanks!

1.) I saw 1 fort fiend sign :'( , and 0 "other" board signs :banana:

I wonder if it was my Fort Fiend sign? My husband said that someone came by one morning and was asking about the board. I was inside drying my hair, so he didn't call me to come outside. I felt bad because I wanted to give the person a FF.net card so that they would stop by and visit the board. Was it you by any chance?

I think you have been duped re. The shoe tree. PETA could care less about something killing a tree.

I think you have been duped re. The shoe tree. PETA could care less about something killing a tree.

I agree. I think that the so called captain was pulling your leg. WDW is private property. If they want to kill a tree, they can.

Also WDW security are not police, just CMs that mostly sit on their butts or stand around all day and do very little work.

Some of them suffer from the Barney Fife syndrome and think that they are police.

First off...

:grpwelcome:

Interesting bit of info about the shoe tree. Not sure I buy the PETA angle, but hey - stranger things have happened!

3.) I got pulled over by the Disney police for underage golf cart driving... I am 25. :siren:

:rofl:

Well... I guess that's 2 good things...

1. Disney Po-Po is actually watching who's driving

2. You look mah-velous!

You can try PM-ing TCD here on the boards.

I wonder if it was my Fort Fiend sign? My husband said that someone came by one morning and was asking about the board. I was inside drying my hair, so he didn't call me to come outside. I felt bad because I wanted to give the person a FF.net card so that they would stop by and visit the board. Was it you by any chance?

I agree. I think that the so called captain was pulling your leg. WDW is private property. If they want to kill a tree, they can.

Also WDW security are not police, just CMs that mostly sit on their butts or stand around all day and do very little work.

Some of them suffer from the Barney Fife syndrome and think that they are police.

First off...

:grpwelcome:

Interesting bit of info about the shoe tree. Not sure I buy the PETA angle, but hey - stranger things have happened!

:rofl:

Well... I guess that's 2 good things...

1. Disney Po-Po is actually watching who's driving

2. You look mah-velous!

You can try PM-ing TCD here on the boards.

Thank you everyone! MickinMin, that was not me :( which loop were you in?

Hopefully I will post often. I had about 500 post on the other board and that was over a period of 5 years so I do not have the best stats (hopefully that will change).

Regarding the shoe tree and PETA. It is all about the birds... the tree apparently is a bird habitat so if the tree goes down so do the bird nests. I should have added that to the original post, sorry!

Doodle had what, less than a 100 posts on volemort and look at her now! :rofl2:

Doodle, I know you will read this, so correct me if I am wrong... :rofl2:

I think it was less than 20. I lurked over there for about 3 years and didn't make my first post until everyone disappeared. :rofl2: If it hadn't been for the fact that I was looking for y'all i wouldn't have posted then either. :rofl2:

So PETA thinks the Shoe Tree is an animal? It's a tree, silly PETA people. It's not an animal.

I'd have pegged PETA for more of the "throwing fake blood on the Fort Wilderness sign because Mickey is wearing a coonskin cap" type. Not that I want to give them any ideas or anything.

I still think you've been duped re. PETA. It's probably more an esthetic issue with Disney. There are far better nesting alternatives for the indigenous bird species within 20 ft of that sorry tree out in the lake.