That's How We Roll! A Day in the Life of TCD

Yep.

It's another TCD trip report.

This will be a brief one.

Then I have a longer one coming up.

And then maybe, just maybe, I will be caught up.

So what's this one about, you ask?

This is a report from a one day visit to the World.

We do that from time to time.

We've done it a lot this year.

We are trying to do a better job of getting value from our passes.

For a long time, the TCD twins have expressed a wish to one day, on a school day to be specific, to be surprised with a trip to WDW.

Since they are in High School now, it isn't always a small thing to skip a day of school.

But, the stars aligned on Friday, April 29, 2011.

A grading period had just ended.

And, it was the morning of the Royal Wedding.

The girls actually got up early to watch it.

Blech.

Then it was time to go to school.

I usually drive them to school.

They have to go early.

Like we usually leave the house at 6:30 am.

And we did.

But, instead of turning left to go to school, I went right, and then east.

And, before long, the girls figured out that they weren't gong to school today.

We made it to Hollywood Studios for Rope Drop.

We followed our normal routine: Fastpasses for Toy Story, a ride on TOT, and then on to RRC for a couple of rides.

We were early enough that RRC was a walk-on.

We got to ride in the front first.

I have never had the chance to ride in the front. I liked it:

100_9996.jpg

We got off and immediately got in line for ride #2.

I decided to snap a couple of photos of the hippie paraphernalia in this ride:

101_0008.jpg

101_0009.jpg

The detail in this ride in great:

101_0016.jpg

On our second ride, we got the very back. Sweet:

101_0018.jpg

Maybe some of you like it, but I think there is too much hippie influence in this ride.

I mean, look at poor Mickey:

101_0020.jpg

I find it ironic that Steven Tyler is still relevant after all of these years. I always questioned why Disney chose to use Aerosmith on this ride. But, now that Stephen is again relevant because of his role on American Idol, I guess Disney chose wisely. Same thing with how Ellen shows up in the Universe of Energy. She is a much bigger star now then she was when they first chose to use her likeness there.

Apparently, this Mater that could drive around on his own was some kind of BFD (that's Big Fort Deal), as people started chasing after him when he drove by:

101_0022.jpg

101_0023.jpg

101_0025.jpg

We hung around Hollywood Studios long enough to use our Toy Story Fastpasses, then we bounced to Epcot.

We enjoyed the Lotso topiary which stood at the entrance throughout the Flower Festival:

101_0026.jpg

101_0027.jpg

A new award category was created on this trip.

The TCD Dress to Impress Award.

That's TCDDTIA for you acronym fans.

Here's the initial recipient:

101_0028.jpg

WTF?

(That's What The Fort?)

Moving on . . .

The Cars topiaries were great this year. I like how you can see the America Pavilion across the lake in this photo:

101_0029.jpg

I also really enjoyed these flowers this year, so here's a final photo of them:

101_0031.jpg

In honor of the royal wedding, we decided that we would eat Fish and Chips from the quick serve in the UK area.

Here's a Union Jack made of flowers in keeping with today's theme:

101_0032.jpg

We wondered if there was going to be anything special going on in the UK area in honor of the wedding.

There were a few things.

Like this:

101_0033.jpg

I guess they didn't have a big budget for this?

I thought this bloke (he was a Brit) was telling some type of royal wedding story:

101_0035.jpg

101_0036.jpg

But, it was just a normal story.

Which I couldn't follow.

But at least the actor thought that he was funny.

Here's the line for Fish and Chips:

101_0037.jpg

And, here's a look at the area while I was waiting on line:

101_0038.jpg

Do you know that no one from the TCD gang has ever partaken in the Fish and Chips here?

The fact of the matter is that the smell emanating from that stand on a hot day isn't that appetizing.

But, we have now all sampled the Fish and Chips.

And they are good!

The girls took a few photos around the area.

Including some in this phone booth with their phones:

101_0041.jpg

They posted Facebook updates about how they had enjoyed the royal wedding.

Some of their gullible friends back at school thought they had really traveled to the wedding.

And, there is supposed to be a strict policy about not using cell phones during school.

Apparently, this policy is routinely ignored.

Especially by the teachers.

Here's some more British stuff in keeping with our theme:

101_0042.jpg

We decided to look in the gift shops to see if there was any William and Kate gear.

We found free William and Kate coloring sheets.

Yes, I said free!

In Disney.

I know no one would believe this, so I took some photos.

101_0045.jpg

101_0047.jpg

Y'all know about these coloring stations, right?

In case you don't, each country has an area where kids can stop to work on a craft. The stations are usually staffed by a native of the country you are visiting. Which typically makes for a learning opportunity for the kids. I have always liked these stations, and when the girls were younger, they would be a highlight of our visits to the World Showcase.

The station here was staffed by a young lady from England. Almost everyone who stopped for a coloring sheet asked her if she had gotten up early to watch the wedding. I loved the fact that this young lady was honest enough to tell them all that no, she had not gotten up early. I have heard many reports that the royal wedding was a bigger deal to Americans than it was to the Brit's. If this young lady is representative of her peers, then I would say these stories must be true.

The TCD twins enjoyed a little of the free coloring:

101_0043.jpg

101_0048.jpg

Heck, even I did a little coloring myself:

101_0044.jpg

I put my artwork on display:

101_0049.jpg

101_0051.jpg

After I had posted my art, a soccer mom (or maybe it was a cheerleader mom) came in with her perfect daughter and literally gasped when she saw my art. She said she could not believe someone had been so disrespectful! I think the perfect daughter liked it. I just smiled.

From here, we hit Test Track and Soarin', and got ready to bounce to our next park.

You will hear all about it in the next post.

TCD

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hooray for hooky from work!!! I know what you mean about one bad experience with a food item. I have had a few such occurrences in my life, too. For example, I cannot eat French Silk pie. I got reall

After I had posted my art, a soccer mom (or maybe it was a cheerleader mom) came in with her perfect daughter and literally gasped when she saw my art. She said she could not believe someone had been so disrespectful! I think the perfect daughter liked it. I just smiled.

Great start to this report. And based upon my experiences, there is a strong likelihood that that comment came from a gymnastics mom.

Yay he's back!

I am one of those crazy people who watched the wedding, but I didn't get up early for it, I get up at 3:30 am anyhow! The royal family fascinates me.

What a cool Dad you are! No only did you let the girls skip school for a Disney day, but you colored with them too! That is worthy of a hippie thumbs up!tongue2.gif

Heck, even I did a little coloring myself:

101_0044.jpg

I put my artwork on display:

101_0051.jpg

TCD

Great start!

I can't wait to surprise my kids like that when they get older. We have started to do things on a smaller scale like this and the excitement on their faces is priceless.

I love the Cars shots. I think we are going to see it this weekend.

And I think the coloring photos are hilarious!

:popcorn:

Lucky TCD twins :banana: I love RRC but I can only ride it once in a day. Darn motion issues. I don't get all the hoopla about Royal weddings, or royal anything for that matter, but maybe that's just me. I agree the fish and chips are pretty darn good :heart:

The fish and chips is my favorite meal at Disney - I like it so much - if you look closely I have a picture of it in my signature. A nice cold beer - fish and chips on the water - Im all set. Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report for even a one day visit - thats dedication to your followers!

Yay for another (albiet brief) trip report by TCD!

That's a big line for fish and chips! Glad you liked them, though. They're by far our favorite CS meal although we haven't been able to have them for far too many trips lately.

Looking forward to more!

Leslie

Always fun. Call these UK phone booths and wish them a magical day and stand afar and watch their surprise! So cool especially the little kids. Great if you can catch the dad and get their name

(407) 827-9863

(407) 827-9862

Sorry I don't remember which is which but one is the phone booth and one is the phone in between the booths that is not enclosed. These are the phone booths that are all together in the UK. I believe there are 3 phones. One didn't work to receive calls but the numbers are listed on the phones. It is a lot of fon.

Great start to this report. And based upon my experiences, there is a strong likelihood that that comment came from a gymnastics mom.

LOL @ gymnastics mom!

Gotta love the pic. Wish I could have been there to watch all the faces of the peoples when they first noticed it.

You should of signed it President O'bama.

LOL @ Obama!

Woo hoo!!!

Another trip report by TCD!

Love the idea of taking the girls out of school!

My DD would agree! If only we didn't live 20 hours away......

20 hours! Yeah, that is a bit far for a day trip.

I wish we lived close enough to skip school for a day and go to the parks! I like the pictures from the RnR.

Umm . . .

You do live close enough for a day trip.

I've done many day trips to Tally- it's about a four hour drive. Isn't that how far WDW is for you?

love the tr tcd. waiting for more pics.. :)

Sorry for the delay.

More photos are on the way.

Yay he's back!

I am one of those crazy people who watched the wedding, but I didn't get up early for it, I get up at 3:30 am anyhow! The royal family fascinates me.

What a cool Dad you are! No only did you let the girls skip school for a Disney day, but you colored with them too! That is worthy of a hippie thumbs up!tongue2.gif

Thanks.

But thumbs down on the hippie thumbs up.

Get to skip school and go to Disney World in my book you get my vote for DAD of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet.

Great start!

I can't wait to surprise my kids like that when they get older. We have started to do things on a smaller scale like this and the excitement on their faces is priceless.

I love the Cars shots. I think we are going to see it this weekend.

And I think the coloring photos are hilarious!

I wish we had done more school-skipping when the girls were younger. It's a big deal now that they're in High School.

We saw Cars 2 this weekend. I thought it was pretty good.

Lucky TCD twins :banana: I love RRC but I can only ride it once in a day. Darn motion issues. I don't get all the hoopla about Royal weddings, or royal anything for that matter, but maybe that's just me. I agree the fish and chips are pretty darn good :heart:

Sorry about the motion issues. I feel it coming on for me, but I can usually get in a couple of rides still.

The fish and chips is my favorite meal at Disney - I like it so much - if you look closely I have a picture of it in my signature. A nice cold beer - fish and chips on the water - Im all set. Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report for even a one day visit - thats dedication to your followers!

I tried to find the photo in your signature, but I am not seeing it. Is it on the far left?

TCD

What fun! A surprise trip to WDW... on a school day at that! RDOG (Real Dad of Genius) award goes to you on this one. One issue: Steven Tyler never stopped being relevant. :D Seriously, great TR.

Thanks, KFK.

Sorry about the dis to Steven.

Yay for another (albiet brief) trip report by TCD!

That's a big line for fish and chips! Glad you liked them, though. They're by far our favorite CS meal although we haven't been able to have them for far too many trips lately.

Looking forward to more!

Leslie

Thanks. More is one the way!

I think we will be making more stops at the fish and chips stand in the future.

Been eating the fish and chips there for years and we really like it. We only had a bad piece of fish one time.

I have heard folks rave about it, but I always thought it smelled pretty bad.

It is now on the TCD short list, though.

Always fun. Call these UK phone booths and wish them a magical day and stand afar and watch their surprise! So cool especially the little kids. Great if you can catch the dad and get their name

(407) 827-9863

(407) 827-9862

Sorry I don't remember which is which but one is the phone booth and one is the phone in between the booths that is not enclosed. These are the phone booths that are all together in the UK. I believe there are 3 phones. One didn't work to receive calls but the numbers are listed on the phones. It is a lot of fon.

Thanks for the numbers!

I wish I had those on this trip.

I think this could be fun info to have!

Great trip report TCD. We love the fish n chips. Wish we lived close enough to run over for a day trip!

Wow, another fish and chips fan.

I wish you lived close enough for a day trip, too.

Maybe one of these days! BTW, loving the TR.

Thanks.

I LOL'ed at the drawing. :rofl2:

Never tried the fish and chips. I may give them a try next time.

Cool TR as usual.

Yep, I think everyone needs to try the fish and chips!

L love Fish & Chips, but I've never tried them at EPCOT. Maybe I should.

Based on my review and the comments here, I think you most definitely do need to try the fish and chips at Epcot.

Love the report!! woot woot hope I have as much fun as you did!!! cool pics too!! :banana:

I hope you do, too!

Almost everyday, I pop on ff.net hoping to spy a TCD report and today I was rewarded!!!

WOOHOO!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Gee, thanks.

And, you are about to get a rare Sunday update!

TCD

Time for the next installment.

We are still in Epcot.

I have a couple more Flower and Garden show photos:

101_0052.jpg

101_0053.jpg

And, after picking up Fastpasses for Soarin' and Test Track, we were on our way.

We took the Monorail to the Ticket and Transportation Center.

We were heading to the Polynesian Resort for some Dole Whip.

We took the path from the Ticket and Transportation Center to the Poly.

You catch it right here:

101_0060.jpg

It is a nice, shaded walk:

101_0061.jpg

And there are pretty birds perched in the trees:

101_0062.jpg

In less than 5 minutes, we are there:

101_0063.jpg

I think a lot of the "quiet" pools at the resorts were redone this Spring. The Polynesian's quiet pool was being worked on as we walked by, and the construction gates were open, so:

101_0064.jpg

101_0065.jpg

Here's a Dole Whip photo, especially for my buddy Dave:

101_0066.jpg

From the Polynesian, we hopped the monorail to the MK.

It was a nice, sunny, day, and the sun was really reflecting off of these sparkly balloons:

101_0067.jpg

The glitter fans here should like that.

The MK was closing super-early for Grad Night. That made for low crowds. And, we got to see them setting up for Grad Night:

101_0068.jpg

Since we were in the area, we took in a viewing of Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor.

To my utter surprise, I was (again) chosen as That Guy!:

101_0071.jpg

I don't know why this keeps happening to me.

I thought they always choose an old clueless guy?

The new interactive que was open at the Haunted Mansion, so we had to check that out.

These photos would have been newsworthy had I posted them two months ago, now these are old news.

There are several new tomb stones in the new area:

101_0074.jpg

You can get some interesting views of Tom Sawyer's Island from here:

101_0075.jpg

101_0076.jpg

This is an interactive musical wall:

101_0077.jpg

More new tomb stones:

101_0078.jpg

The musical wall:

101_0079.jpg

This organ is pretty cool- smoke and stuff comes out of the pipes:

101_0081.jpg

101_0082.jpg

101_0083.jpg

When you think about it, this new stuff is pretty morbid. This display tells us that the deceased was "pickled in brine," and bubbles come out of the top:

101_0084.jpg

101_0089.jpg

Some of the stuff in here isn't interactive, which seems kind of odd:

101_0087.jpg

101_0088.jpg

101_0092.jpg

This new que is supposed to be able to accommodate scooters, and it appears that it can:

101_0093.jpg

Here are some more tomb stone shots in case you haven't already seen enough:

101_0094.jpg

101_0095.jpg

We enjoyed a few more attractions at the MK for the rest of the afternoon, and then it was time for our dinner engagement.

We were going to hop the boat to the Fort and grab a GAG at Trail's End!

TCD