The importance of seat belts and safely securing your dogs!!!

Like everyone else has already stated, I am so glad that you all are safe and were able to walk away from the accident.:heart:

We don't have any dogs, but we are very strict about the use of the seat belts in the car for people. I am even a stickler when it comes to car seats and boosters. My youngest who turned 9 in March still rides in her booster (though she has many friends who do not) because she is still too short to properly fit an adult seat belt.

I am going to share this with my sister and her husband as they do have a dog and I know for a fact they do not crate him when they travel.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to give this a bump because it happened a year ago this weekend and I thought the message bears repeating this time of year when so many of you are traveling. Original post is here

Go Koda! Go Dolly! Go to the Fort! Welcome to the best board around.

Posted Images

This just goes to show us what can happen in a split second. I'm so glad you, Brian, and the pups made it out all right. It could have been so much worse. God was with you.

Years ago there was an accident on I-75 where someone's dog survived the accident but bolted because it was scared. It was hit by another vehicle and didn't survive that. This is an example of why you should crate your animals any time they are in your vehicle.

Monique, the pictures are very frightening, and I'm surprised at how minor your injuries were. God is good!

WOW!!!!! Glad ya'll are OK. One question, why no airbags?? Did any of them go off??

It's a 2001 Navigator, so no side airbags, and since no front impact, none deployed.

yours will fit in a shoe box. probably all of them together....... <_<

LOL - as long as the shoebox is securely fastened to the car. :)

Someone asked me if the crates were anchored down and actually they weren't. But the 2 in the back were totally wedged in (as in, barely fit) and even Lyn's was pretty well wedged behind the passenger's seat to begin with.

However I think next time around we will definitely consider anchoring them down. The crates in the camper are still perfect and exactly where we left them.

Of course the camper got the easy end of it.

Brian thinks now that what probably happened is the truck actually went up and smacked the roof on the drivers side before being whipped around and rolled by the camper. That's the only way we can explain damage to the roof there but the back wing window on that side was still open and intact - the only window on the whole vehicle. I know I was just shocked that the roof near my seat was so crushed and somehow I didn't whack my head on anything.

I'll say it too, Holy S87t!!! So glad you all made it out okay. Looks horrible. I see all your Fort things survived including the magnets above the stove.

Amazing, right?! Not a single Disney item was broken or missing. Well... my purse and tote back are pretty much trashed, but everything inside them was saved. :)

I my god Monique!! I so very glad to hear you are all ok & only have minor injuries.

Were you on 90 or 290 when that happened?

290E between exits 23 and 24 - straight stretch of road. We had to go down to Shrewsbury to the salvage place and drove by it on the way home. Other than the skid marks you wouldn't know anything happened.

And even the skid marks were scary. :blink:

Monique, the pictures are very frightening, and I'm surprised at how minor your injuries were. God is good!

Amen!

I come on here most days to find out what's going on. Most news is good like trip reports, Anna joining the DaveInTn family; but, then there's the bad/sad stuff like Kenya's passing, prayer requests, family members (including pets) who are ill. I don't usually comment but try to send good throughts to the person/family in need. This crosses the entire spectrum. So bad that the other guy caused the accident, sad that you lost your tow vehicle and camper, but SO GOOD that you were all able to walk away. About all you can say is "Thank you God." O:-)

WOW! Glad everyone is okay.

The vehicle definately looks totaled. If they don't total the trailer, fix it and trade it in. I'm sure there is hidden damage all over.

Did they ever catch the culprit?

Still waiting on the police report.

I'm sure Brian will do his best to work the system and make sure they total the camper too. You don't have to look too hard to find evidence that things twisted and shifted structurally. Thankfully we have all the insurance you can get on such a thing too, and Brian being in the car/warranty business he knows how these things work.

I'm not too worried - although I know there will be some out of pocket $ we need to come up with.

Harder part is probably going to be finding a replacement vehicle for what we can get for the Navigator. It was a 2001 with 170k on it, but it also just had $8k in work done on it under warranty, so we'll see how that goes.

We're going back to the salvage yard today to retrieve the rest of what we can from the camper. Insurance won't cover replacement of the "stuff" so I'm scavenging anything and everything we can carry.

Hey - all the acrylic mugs are AOK! ;)

Oh my gosh - I cant believe this - praise the Lord that you and your family escaped relatively unscathed. Take care of your body the next couple of weeks - injuries, especially to the spine, can reveal themselves slowly. I really hope they catch the jerk responsible!

Thanks Whip - we're trying to take it easy as much as possible.

I come on here most days to find out what's going on. Most news is good like trip reports, Anna joining the DaveInTn family; but, then there's the bad/sad stuff like Kenya's passing, prayer requests, family members (including pets) who are ill. I don't usually comment but try to send good throughts to the person/family in need. This crosses the entire spectrum. So bad that the other guy caused the accident, sad that you lost your tow vehicle and camper, but SO GOOD that you were all able to walk away. About all you can say is "Thank you God." O:-)

Thanks Judy. Having seen it all in the daylight I'm even MORE grateful now than I was walking away that night.

Funny thing was how happy we were yesterday to recover silly little things... like the squeaky rubber chicken, or my tote bag full of fleece, or Brian's favorite hat. Again, just grateful that in addition to being alive and fine, we were going to be able to put everything else back together eventually too.

And last night after we rebandaged each other's arms Brian said "we're never, ever going to argue about stupid little things, ever.... right?"

Oh, and we went on the site of the RV dealer we got our camper from last night. They have our exact camper (even the same interior we special ordered at the time)... in stock. ;)

Monique-

What a frightening story! I am so glad that everyone is alright.

We are vigilant about seatbelts in our family.

But, we don't usually have Rocky in his crate, unless it is a long trip.

We need to rethink that. Thanks for the warning.

I hope all goes smoothly with your insurance company, and that y'all make it to the Fort on schedule.

TCD

Monique-

What a frightening story! I am so glad that everyone is alright.

We are vigilant about seatbelts in our family.

But, we don't usually have Rocky in his crate, unless it is a long trip.

We need to rethink that. Thanks for the warning.

I hope all goes smoothly with your insurance company, and that y'all make it to the Fort on schedule.

TCD

Thanks TCD! I definitely would recommend crating even for shorter rides after going through this. Reality is that this accident took place probably less than 30 miles from home. :(

And our goal is to definitely do whatever we need to so that we get to the Fort right on time. We need it now more than ever!!

Seriously hoping insurance sorts out quickly, but I told Brian yesterday that I'm going in a tent if I have to! :)

290E between exits 23 and 24 - straight stretch of road. We had to go down to Shrewsbury to the salvage place and drove by it on the way home. Other than the skid marks you wouldn't know anything happened.

??? You left your underwaer on the side of the road? :huh:

I really didnt know what to expect when i started reading this, WOW is about all I got. Thank GOD you and the fur babies are ok!! :bighug:

I really hope they catch the ass clown, its' one thing to cut you off but to not even stop and offer to help just makes me angry!! What's wrong with people these days??!! :argh:

I drive by there everyday for work. People on that road are not the nicest people in the world.

I'll have to look on the way in tomorrow to see if I can see where it happened.

Dan

??? You left your underwaer on the side of the road? :huh:

LOL - it's about the ONLY thing that wasn't on the side of the road!

we-fix-skid-marks.jpg

:rofl2:

I drive by there everyday for work. People on that road are not the nicest people in the world.

I'll have to look on the way in tomorrow to see if I can see where it happened.

Eastbound between 23 and 24 on that nice straight stretch of road. The marks start halfway into the right lane then travel all the way across to the left edge of the road.

Gotta say they did a bangup job of cleaning up!

Just back from trip #2 to the salvage yard - this time with a rented cargo van.

We grabbed everything that wasn't nailed down - and a few things that were, like the dogs' crates, our spiffy shower rod, the dog gate...

I figured I paid for that stuff and will have to buy it again for the next camper, so if it was intact, it came with us.

We did manage to salvage Brady's crate from the truck, but the other 2 were bent beyond use.

Amazingly the lounge chairs under the bed, the x-pens and tools in the underneath storage, and even the Christmas decorations under the dinette were completely unharmed!

We even managed to salvage the beer and wine in the fridge!

I took more pics of the damage on the inside I need to upload. It really does start looking sketchy when you look closely - where the front lower corners of the TT are you can actually see daylight. And above the fridge it looks like either the fridge itself broke free (although it never opened) or something much more major was going on with the wall/roof line.

And just because you have to laugh even when things suck...

I mentioned before that the toilet broke loose and flew out of the bathroom.

I've also mentioned previously that my sign from voldemort was now serving as a crate divider.

Well.........

this just seemed appropriate and made me chuckle amidst all the debris...

5931484567_332b29019e_z.jpg

Oh and btw...

We left both of them there.

:rofl2: