Some Times It's A Magical Bus

8:45am, driving underneath the WDW sign on Osceola Parkway to the AK bus hub, beautiful, clear, sunny morning. Every time I do that, I think, how many people would want to be doing this? Wow, got a pretty good parking space in the AK CM lot. I won't have to take a cab to get to the front.

It's time to clock in, done. There are a ton of drivers waiting for a bus. It's going to be a while before I start working. It's not the most efficient system, but whataya gonna do? Thirty minutes later, finally, I get assigned a bus. It's always a crap shoot of what you're gonna get. As Forest Gump said, getting a bus assignment is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. Well, maybe not exactly in that context. But because they've just added 40 or so brand new buses, the odds are in the drivers favor now. I didn't get one of the new buses, but at least I didn't get one of the old clunkers, not that many left.

Ok, quick bus inspection and I'm off to the WL & GF, not bad for a first run. It's early, but there are guests at AK going to the GF. Good thing, I hate driving an empty bus, but believe it or not, that's what we do most of the time. It's off to the ritzy GF & rustic WL.

Hmm, lots of people going to AK this morning. I picked up a lot of people at both resorts. Of course I have to stop at BB first and when I get close to the AK hub, no automatic trip on the computer, gotta call in the old fashion way. I hate when that happens.

Dispatch, bus 4879. over the radio I hear, Magic Bus coming back? No, I'm not a Magicbus, I'm an AK bus. Oh, who's driving the bus? Me, and I give them my name. And they say, 10-4, and finally give me my next run.

I do that run and it's back to AK , same thing. No I'm not a Magic bus, I'm an AK bus. It never did got straightened out. I guess the automatic bus dispatch system was having a bad day.

So I thought it was a little ironic that I was a reluctant Magicbus today.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only if you're wearing a Tampa Bay Rays or Yankees hat.

I was assigned to the Studios bus hub yesterday and while waiting for people to finish boarding, a little boy, about 9 or 10 years old, afflicted with an obvious muscular disorder struggles to walk up

Needle in a hay stack is right. The odds are very slim that you'll see me. Too many buses doing too many routes. No call today, so I'm not working. I'm on call tomorrow but no clue where I'll be until

Oh, who's driving the bus? Me, and I give them my name.

rofl3.gif I don't know why, but when I first read it, I was cracking up. "Oh who's driving the bus??" D'uh! My imaginary friend!

I always loved to see the WDW sign coming onto property....it's cool to see it everyday. My kids love it now since they know exactly where they are when they see it emot-love.gif

So what's this all about? Why was I going to be tense and why was it going to be an important day for me, you ask? The reason is that today is the last work day before reaching my three year anniversary in the WDW Bus Transportation Dept., which is next Sunday. So what, you're thinking, big deal? Yup, it is a big deal and it's not so much the 3 year anniversary, I've actually worked at WDW for over 15 years off and on, as what was on the line. If I had any sort of driving incident today, three years of incident & accident free driving would go down the drain. So that would mean no coveted 3 year WDW Bus Transportation Safe Driver Award. It's not easy to earn that award considering the number of hours behind the wheel and number of opportunities for something to happen. So of course I had the usual number of people cut me off or just stopping in the middle of the road for no reason. In other words, a normal day. So I was overly cautious and was counting the minutes for the shift to end. Well it did end with no incidents and as far as I know I will be getting my award.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

That's great, Lou! Is it a pin? a plaque? certificate?

It's a pin that you can't wear on the job and a certificate.

Which makes no sense that we can't wear it. If guests knew what the pin stood for, wouldn't they feel better if their driver was wearing one?

Yet we're allowed to wear the generic 1 year anniversary pin which means nothing.

money?

Nope