Some Times It's A Magical Bus

Here it is.

Disney did it right this time.

I was told that an idiot manager, I added the idiot part, wanted to see me. That's usually not a good thing.

When I arrived, they gave me my pin, a certificate, and congratulations. Even got my picture taken.

I'm sure it'll be in the Orlando Sentinel tomorrow.

Kidding aside, it was nice. I was looking forward to it.

And I found out that I've been misrepresenting myself. I'm not a MagicBus, I'm an AnimalBus.

SafeDriving3.jpg

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only if you're wearing a Tampa Bay Rays or Yankees hat.

I was assigned to the Studios bus hub yesterday and while waiting for people to finish boarding, a little boy, about 9 or 10 years old, afflicted with an obvious muscular disorder struggles to walk up

Needle in a hay stack is right. The odds are very slim that you'll see me. Too many buses doing too many routes. No call today, so I'm not working. I'm on call tomorrow but no clue where I'll be until

• 4 weeks later...

Today was the type of day that most people think is a typical day for WDW bus drivers, but luckily it's rare.

First thing, was scooters. There must be a scooter riders convention in town.

Just to make it crystal clear in case you haven't read this on another one of my posts, all drivers, I repeat, all drivers, hate and despise scooters.

Wheelchairs ok, but scooters really, really, drives us crazy. And because too many times we don't even get a thank you, we're not crazy about the people in them.

I guess they feel their entitled to inconvenience others. Thank you ADA.

Second, this family is waiting at the AKL to Epcot bus stop and they have a scooter, but no one is sitting in it. What's up with that? The father pushes it on to the bus and I do what I have to do, no thank you from anyone. I'm ready to pull away when the mom comes up and tells me they need to get off because they don't have their park tickets. Off comes the scooter. Almost, ready to pull out again and the mom tells me that the dad does have the tickets. Load the scooter, again, but still no thank you or an apology to the bus full of riders. All of this took over ten minutes.

Ok, can I go now?

Unload the scooter at Epcot. They don't even look and walk away, and never a thank you.

So no wonder why we hate scooters and most of the people that use them.

Third incident. I pick a truly handicapped older women in a wheel chair. I request, to the what I believe to be the daughter, if she can remove the large back hanging from the rear so that I have clear access to the loops for the hooks. She says, NO, I DON'T HAVE TO! Oh ok. She tells me very angrily and loudly that they've coming to WDW for years and that she's never had to do it before. It's a hanging bag and it is in the way, but I deal with it.

She continues to give me very loud lip service about nothing, but I remain calm and polite.

As I let riders off at other stops, one whispers in my ear, you are a better person that I am, I could never handle it like you did. I thank her for the kind words.

Upon arriving at DHS and having received excellent and friendly service from me, I unload the WC and now the daughter is feeling very guilty about how she acted. After we chatted a little and I even managed to get a smile from her, I asked why she would want to make our job more difficult by refusing to remove the bag. We're just trying to provide good service. She didn't really have an answer.

Hope tomorrow is a typical day.

I am so sorry to hear that Lou. We are one of "those scooter people". However, we know it's a pain for ya'll bus drivers and we try to thank the drivers each and every time and make their (your) job easier by parking it correctly each time and showing where the hooks are to anchor it down. We also probably get looks cause I'm usually the one that drives it on the bus as I can look over my shoulder and back it into place better than Rick can, and Rick drives it off.

Today was the type of day that most people think is a typical day for WDW bus drivers, but luckily it's rare.

First thing, was scooters. There must be a scooter riders convention in town.

Just to make it crystal clear in case you haven't read this on another one of my posts, all drivers, I repeat, all drivers, hate and despise scooters.

Wheelchairs ok, but scooters really, really, drives us crazy. And because too many times we don't even get a thank you, we're not crazy about the people in them.

I guess they feel their entitled to inconvenience others. Thank you ADA.

Second, this family is waiting at the AKL to Epcot bus stop and they have a scooter, but no one is sitting in it. What's up with that? The father pushes it on to the bus and I do what I have to do, no thank you from anyone. I'm ready to pull away when the mom comes up and tells me they need to get off because they don't have their park tickets. Off comes the scooter. Almost, ready to pull out again and the mom tells me that the dad does have the tickets. Load the scooter, again, but still no thank you or an apology to the bus full of riders. All of this took over ten minutes.

Ok, can I go now?

Unload the scooter at Epcot. They don't even look and walk away, and never a thank you.

So no wonder why we hate scooters and most of the people that use them.

Third incident. I pick a truly handicapped older women in a wheel chair. I request, to the what I believe to be the daughter, if she can remove the large back hanging from the rear so that I have clear access to the loops for the hooks. She says, NO, I DON'T HAVE TO! Oh ok. She tells me very angrily and loudly that they've coming to WDW for years and that she's never had to do it before. It's a hanging bag and it is in the way, but I deal with it.

She continues to give me very loud lip service about nothing, but I remain calm and polite.

As I let riders off at other stops, one whispers in my ear, you are a better person that I am, I could never handle it like you did. I thank her for the kind words.

Upon arriving at DHS and having received excellent and friendly service from me, I unload the WC and now the daughter is feeling very guilty about how she acted. After we chatted a little and I even managed to get a smile from her, I asked why she would want to make our job more difficult by refusing to remove the bag. We're just trying to provide good service. She didn't really have an answer.

Hope tomorrow is a typical day.

If someone really needs a scooter I am more than happy to wait for them. Having said that it drives me crazy to see the people who don't really need them use them to take advantage of the system. We have seen ALOT of this on both our WDW trips last year. :argh:

If someone really needs a scooter I am more than happy to wait for them. Having said that it drives me crazy to see the people who don't really need them use them to take advantage of the system. We have seen ALOT of this on both our WDW trips last year. :argh:

I know where you're coming however, not all disabilities are visible to the naked eye. My dad, despite surviving 9 heart attacks, looked like the picture of health but, he could not walk 20 yards without getting angina pains and becoming short of breath.

I don't mind personal scooters (the ones that don't say RENT ME) because the people using them in all likelihood know how to operate them. But the ECV's Disney rents and the scooters that have RENT ME plastered all over them scare the bejeezus out of me. I've been rammed in the back of my legs too many time by those darn things!! Once when trying to get into the Mexico pavillion at Epcot, I finally had to turn around and physically remove a lady's hand from the controls after she kept jerking her ECV into me!!

Disney should be forced to give personalized ECV training to people before allowing them to roll off into the park! 30 minutes training & a driving test should do the trick. That might even discourage people who don't really need them from renting one!!

Lou - I too have witnessed a LOT of people on scooters or in wheelchairs treat bus drivers with disdain. If they can't be pleasant with a stranger for only 2 minutes, imagine what it must be like living with them? I'm sure glad I don't have to.

However, we know it's a pain for ya'll bus drivers and we try to thank the drivers each and every time

Thanks Carol.

It's a small thing, but we really do appreciate it and we do listen for it.

Another thing that I like and actually makes the procedure enjoyable is when they or someone in their party is chatty and friendly. It tells me that they're happy to be at WDW and that I'm making their WDW experience a little bit less stressful.

We also probably get looks cause I'm usually the one that drives it on the bus as I can look over my shoulder and back it into place better than Rick can

That's quite common.

Nothing you can do about the looks.

Unless it's obvious that a person is disabled, you'll get them.

Having said that it drives me crazy to see the people who don't really need them use them to take advantage of the system.

We have seen ALOT of this on both our WDW trips last year.

This is a hot button issue, how many are handicapped and how many aren't.

How many need a scooter for part of the day?

How many are recovering from surgery and look absolutely healthy?

How many are self induced by life style?

I stay away from that discussion because I believe the numbers of people that abuse it are small, but there are some.

A lot are like Carol, they realize that it's a minor inconvenience and appreciate the service.

It's the one's that feel it's Disney's by way of the CMs, responsibility to do it as if it's an entitlement.

Just imagine if the drivers didn't have to load scooters and you volunteered to do it for someone. What would you think if they were grouchy towards you, just drove off and didn't even acknowledge you and what you did for them?

:partythree: Congrats on your :superhero: pin Lou! :bravo:

I'm really dreading this whole scooter thing but DH'll have no choice this year. On our last trip he was very self-conscious & disliked the hassle and looks by strangers so much that he mostly stayed in the BC room while we went to the parks. We drove or a friend drove us all for dinners & the parks he couldn't walk or boat to.

I know this is a really obvious question, seen it done a dozen times over the yrs but just checking now that it pertains to us... He can stay seated in the scooter to get onto the bus can't he? It's not that he can't walk a bit but there's no way he'd be able to get up even one of those steps... Does that cause even more hassle for the driver to have a person in the scooter while loading? Wondering if we should stick to driving like we have in the past...

He can stay seated in the scooter to get onto the bus can't he? It's not that he can't walk a bit but there's no way he'd be able to get up even one of those steps.

The drivers do not drive the scooters so your dad or someone in your party would drive it onto the bus.

We strongly encourage, if at all possible, that guests transfer to a seat afterwards. Scooters have been know to tip over even when strapped down.

Also, the majority of the buses do not have steps and if you get one that does, he would stay on the scooter anyways.

Wondering if we should stick to driving like we have in the past...

That depends on you and how much you have to go through in order to get the scooter to the location.

If that's not an issue and except for MK, it's usually more convenient to drive yourself.

One thing that happens at park opening and closing times, is that if a bus is standing room only, you'll have to wait for the next one and if that one is SRO, repeat the process.

We don't ask guests to give up their seats unless there are empty seats available or unless someone volunteers.

Thanks Carol.

It's a small thing, but we really do appreciate it and we do listen for it.

Another thing that I like and actually makes the procedure enjoyable is when they or someone in their party is chatty and friendly. It tells me that they're happy to be at WDW and that I'm making their WDW experience a little bit less stressful.

That's quite common.

Nothing you can do about the looks.

Unless it's obvious that a person is disabled, you'll get them.

This is a hot button issue, how many are handicapped and how many aren't.

How many need a scooter for part of the day?

How many are recovering from surgery and look absolutely healthy?

How many are self induced by life style?

I stay away from that discussion because I believe the numbers of people that abuse it are small, but there are some.

A lot are like Carol, they realize that it's a minor inconvenience and appreciate the service.

It's the one's that feel it's Disney's by way of the CMs, responsibility to do it as if it's an entitlement.

Just imagine if the drivers didn't have to load scooters and you volunteered to do it for someone. What would you think if they were grouchy towards you, just drove off and didn't even acknowledge you and what you did for them?

I get what you both are saying. I understand that not all disabilities are visible. These are not the people you are talking about. These are people who were obviously (really obviously) abusing the system. But I can see how this topic could offend those who are disabled, so I will just say it's not aimed toward you. Sorry if I have offended them and drop it.

Lou,

I admire and respect anyone who works in the service industry and manages to be pleasant. The art of biting your tongue while still being nice to rude people is not easy or enjoyable!

Sorry if I have offended them

I don't think you offended anyone. You expressed what you believe. And if someone was offended by it, then maybe FF.Net is not for them.

They're free to offer their views and opinons too.

I admire and respect anyone who works in the service industry and manages to be pleasant. The art of biting your tongue while still being nice to rude people is not easy or enjoyable!

As I said, it's very rare.

After all, it's WDW.

Ugg, I'm DowntownBus today.

The bus complainers have a field day with the the DTD bus service.

In your best whiner voice, "why does it always take so long to get to my hotel from DTD"?

Three stops before heading out, plus the road with the most traffic lights on WDW property, is why.

I don't get the complaining once they actually get a bus. someone else to chauffeur you around and it doesn't cost a thing. Acceptance people... just accept the wait. Embrace the down time.

• 1 month later...