Some Times It's A Magical Bus

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only if you're wearing a Tampa Bay Rays or Yankees hat.

I was assigned to the Studios bus hub yesterday and while waiting for people to finish boarding, a little boy, about 9 or 10 years old, afflicted with an obvious muscular disorder struggles to walk up

Needle in a hay stack is right. The odds are very slim that you'll see me. Too many buses doing too many routes. No call today, so I'm not working. I'm on call tomorrow but no clue where I'll be until

• 1 month later...

Retire those old buses NOW!

You've probably noticed that the older buses, the ones with the lift instead of the ramp, are becoming fewer and fewer.

Most drivers cringe when they're assigned one, including me.

Of the 300 or so buses, I'm guessing there are 30 or 40 left, so the chances of getting one aren't great, but I did get one yesterday.

Why do we not like them? Among many reasons, two are that the acceleration is poor and the driver compartment is horrible and is not driver friendly. But the main reason is the ECV/WC lift. It forces you to position the rear door within 12 to 16 inches of the curb in order for the lift to function. At certain resorts, it's really a challenge to do that without having to back up.

Anyway, after picking up a full load of guests at AK and heading for the CR/Poly on Osceola Parkway, an alarm comes on and the bus dies. By now it's dark out and I'm trying to pull off the road on to the grass with no power steering. That's almost impossible, but I manage it without hitting the sign about 20 feet in front of me. Ok, try to start it, it does, wow, maybe this isn't as bad as it seemed. We're off. A short distance later, same thing happens, except no grass to pull over on to. I'm stopped in the inside lane with cars whizzing by me, very dangerous. Will it start, yes it does, we're off.

I hate to do, but it's time to bail on this antique bus. I decide for safety reasons to try to make it to Blizzard Beach and call for a recovery bus.

The guests are being really patient and no one complains. While waiting, I try to diffuse the situation and announce that the drinks will be free.

After about fifteen minutes, a bus arrives at BB, get the people off and on the replacement bus. Again no complaints and no one asks for free stuff.

Diesel arrives, that's what the roadside repair trucks are called, a short time later and they can't fix it. So that's it for me, I'm done.

Just another day at "Where dreams come true".

Retire those old buses NOW!

You've probably noticed that the older buses, the ones with the lift instead of the ramp, are becoming fewer and fewer.

Most drivers cringe when they're assigned one, including me.

Of the 300 or so buses, I'm guessing there are 30 or 40 left, so the chances of getting one aren't great, but I did get one yesterday.

Why do we not like them? Among many reasons, two are that the acceleration is poor and the driver compartment is horrible and is not driver friendly. But the main reason is the ECV/WC lift. It forces you to position the rear door within 12 to 16 inches of the curb in order for the lift to function. At certain resorts, it's really a challenge to do that without having to back up.

Anyway, after picking up a full load of guests at AK and heading for the CR/Poly on Osceola Parkway, an alarm comes on and the bus dies. By now it's dark out and I'm trying to pull off the road on to the grass with no power steering. That's almost impossible, but I manage it without hitting the sign about 20 feet in front of me. Ok, try to start it, it does, wow, maybe this isn't as bad as it seemed. We're off. A short distance later, same thing happens, except no grass to pull over on to. I'm stopped in the inside lane with cars whizzing by me, very dangerous. Will it start, yes it does, we're off.

I hate to do, but it's time to bail on this antique bus. I decide for safety reasons to try to make it to Blizzard Beach and call for a recovery bus.

The guests are being really patient and no one complains. While waiting, I try to diffuse the situation and announce that the drinks will be free.

After about fifteen minutes, a bus arrives at BB, get the people off and on the replacement bus. Again no complaints and no one asks for free stuff.

Diesel arrives, that's what the roadside repair trucks are called, a short time later and they can't fix it. So that's it for me, I'm done.

Just another day at "Where dreams come true".

just glad you and the guests didn't get in an altercation the cars whizzing by

...While waiting, I try to diffuse the situation and announce that the drinks will be free.

Now if only THAT were true! :rofl2:

Glad things weren't any worse than they were. Gotta say we've been very lucky with buses (and yes, we do ride them sometimes) but I can't imagine how many stop-and-go miles are on those old ones.

wow, we must just have been in the right place at the right time during Halloween. We didn't ride the buses that much but it seemed like maybe 1 in 3 was an old lift bus. Then again perhaps it just seemed that way b/c they were such a pain...

• 3 weeks later...

Highs in the 40s, that's pretty cold for a day time temp.

Might actually have to use the heater, if I get a bus that has one that is.

Yup, not all buses have a heater, but all drivers compartments do.

Seeing that it's post New Years, and cold, it should be a pretty quite day at the World today.

Highs in the 40s, that's pretty cold for a day time temp.

Might actually have to use the heater, if I get a bus that has one that is.

Yup, not all buses have a heater, but all drivers compartments do.

Seeing that it's post New Years, and cold, it should be a pretty quite day at the World today.

yuck! cold not so nice at the World.

I know where you're coming however, not all disabilities are visible to the naked eye....

Okey dokey, I decided to quote Debbie's one line and do a bit of soap-boxing here... :)

I try my best to NEVER make snap judgements about others. A bit difficult at times, but I'll tell you why...

Our DD(now 18) has a condition that is brought on by extended exposure to sunlight. Not everyday exposure...just long hours and direct. What happens? Well, her muscles begin shut down...to the point where holding a plate is difficult.

Anyway, here's my real point...

Because she appears (and is now) a healthy, typical, active teen, we have gotten many crude comments when given alternative access in Disney. People see a happy, bubbly girl skipping up to an attraction with a pass to avoid the sun...and wallah! Remarks are made...some of which are hurtful. CMs have always been great and obviously have had training in the importance of compassion, but others are not so nice. One time, after I felt compelled to explain her condition, a woman mumbled, "Why go to Disney then, stupid. It's Florida. You should've stayed home." Really?!!!

Anyway, you hit a soft spot with me here....

Sorry for the high jack...

Now, I feel awful for stealing away from the real premise of the thread. :(

Lou, you are one special guy for doing what you do. Compassion and consideration...even when it's not always warranted. :heart:

Now, I feel awful for stealing away from the real premise of the thread.

Deb, don't feel bad, threads are for hijacking, happens all the time.

Besides this one is an ongoing thread that just kinda rambles on and on.

Lou, you are one special guy for doing what you do. Compassion and consideration...even when it's not always warranted.

Not really, it's nothing like people envision it. Incidents that may annoy a driver are extremely rare.

And stop saying nice things about me. People will get the wrong impression. I do have a reputation to uphold.

And stop saying nice things about me. People will get the wrong impression. I do have a reputation to uphold.

yes, he is a horrible person. He goes to the Fort to meet people he's only "talked" to online. He does spiking duty when TCD isn't around. He one of the biggest "Who can we help" people on FF.net. :banghead:

His two redeeming quality are being a loud obnoxious drunk and a apple pie hustler. :rofl2:

Please quit spreading those awful rumors about how nice he is. It just won't do.

I feel better.

1. Hijack (spell it funky the first time),

2. Apologize

3. Lou :superhero: - shows me the correct spelling, allows me full reign of his thread, AND makes me feel better with just a few taps on his keyboard...

;)

yes, he is a horrible person. He goes to the Fort to meet people he's only "talked" to online. He does spiking duty when TCD isn't around. He one of the biggest "Who can we help" people on FF.net.

His two redeeming quality are being a loud obnoxious drunk and a apple pie hustler.

Please quit spreading those awful rumors about how nice he is. It just won't do.

Thanks for the warning, Nicki. I try my best to be accepting of others, but spiking the unexpected and greeting campers is a bit much.

Is the apple pie topped traditionally or is it crumb-topped???

Thanks for the warning, Nicki. I try my best to be accepting of others, but spiking the unexpected and greeting campers is a bit much.

Is the apple pie topped traditionally or is it crumb-topped???

not sure how Jen tops her pies but I do streusel topping but really by the sounds of him, he's not all that discriminating... after all he's taking to begging for his pie.... :rofl2:

Streusel topping, stop it Nicki.

And Deb, you're not helping. I might have to go out and buy an apple pie now.

BTW, Monique is right.

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

Streusel topping

and