Importance of Surge Protectors - fka Ten Minutes is All It Took!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the post. I got my surge protector today because of this.  

Was looking for a thread on surge protectors and figure this needs to be bumped

Some good news is I have noted a lot of surge arresters installed in Fort distribution panels. The ones I have seen are far better than anything you can likely buy at an RV store. Look for the boxes

I just wanted to mention another accessory that can prevent major damage & give you peace of mind while you're driving.  It's a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). I installed one on my coach & toad even before I installed my Surge Guard.  While it won't prevent a sudden tire blowout, it will warn you of a leak that can lead to a blowout, which can cause some very expensive damage.

Here's a link to a thread on an RV forum I belong to that shows what kind of damage, even a fire, a blowout can cause. http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,76831.new.html#new 

• 3 months later...

For those that are mechanically inclined you can install one permanently.  This avoids the possibility of someone stealing it or the hassle of locking it to the pedestal every time you use it.   Additionally you get an LED display to show electrical usage and the status of the electrical connection.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-surge-protector-with-voltage-protection/56419

As I was going to have to work on the electricd wire where it entered the camper I also added a "Detachable Power Conversion Kit".  I always hated trying to push the power cord back into the mouse-hole.

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-30ARVKIT-Detachable-Power-Conversion/dp/B000NUYZQC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1417443998&sr=8-7&keywords=marinco+30+amp

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are mechanically inclined you can install one permanently.  This avoids the possibility of someone stealing it or the hassle of locking it to the pedestal every time you use it.   Additionally you get an LED display to show electrical usage and the status of the electrical connection.

But once you see one after it stops a lightning strike you would not want it inside your RV. They totally blow apart.

I've loved my Progressive Industries one....but it's 30amp and our new motorhome has 50amp service. I'll have to buy a new one, and try to sell my old one. I'll probably go with a Progressive again.

dave, double check but most coaches have one built in. But, with that being said a friend pointed out that having a portable one plugged in to the pedestal take a hit is much less hassle than having to take the coach in to have it replaced if it is damaged in a surge.

dave, double check but most coaches have one built in. But, with that being said a friend pointed out that having a portable one plugged in to the pedestal take a hit is much less hassle than having to take the coach in to have it replaced if it is damaged in a surge.

I don't think it does....at least not in what I've read to date.  Like you and Dave have said though, I might be more comfortable with it outside the coach regardless.  

I've loved my Progressive Industries one....but it's 30amp and our new motorhome has 50amp service. I'll have to buy a new one, and try to sell my old one. I'll probably go with a Progressive again.

I might be intersected in purchasing your old one. PM how much you are asking for it.
  • 2 months later...

Thanks!  I haven't purchased my 50 amp one yet to replace the 30 amp I have....was going to go with Progressive again but this price is unbeatable.  I have it in my cart, but then the site went down.  I hope they don't bring the website back up with a higher price!  Maybe this was a mistake.  

Thanks!  I haven't purchased my 50 amp one yet to replace the 30 amp I have....was going to go with Progressive again but this price is unbeatable.  I have it in my cart, but then the site went down.  I hope they don't bring the website back up with a higher price!  Maybe this was a mistake.  

Never mind....site came back up and I got it!  

Thanks Nacole!

Yes...that price is awesome!!

Never mind....site came back up and I got it!  

Thanks Nacole!

Yay!!

If anyone has not purchased a surge protector for their unit/MH, I urge you with all my heart to.  It will save you time and time again from a tragedy.

We  will never go anywhere without ours again.  (with the MH)

I also plan on getting one for our popup for when we use it with power again.  (haven't had to yet, lol)

The one on sale is a model 34750, if you go to the surge guard website, the 34750 has been replaced with a newer model 34850. I can't seem to find a difference in the two, but it looks like camping world is trying to purge their inventory before the new models hit the shelves. Probably should order one sooner than later, as I would assume this price is limited to the current model only.

The one on sale is a model 34750, if you go to the surge guard website, the 34750 has been replaced with a newer model 34850. I can't seem to find a difference in the two, but it looks like camping world is trying to purge their inventory before the new models hit the shelves. Probably should order one sooner than later, as I would assume this price is limited to the current model only.

The newer model has an added thermal sensor that will shut things down if the plugs get too hot. Other than that there is not difference.

They do have the newer model but it is more expensive. For me the thermal sensor was not worth the price difference to me. Mine was supposed to be delivered today but UPS didn't show up due to the weather.